View Full Version : MoneyPak cards-green dot cards - need info

Ash&Steve1
07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey everyone!Im new to being a member,however have been getting lots of my questions answered in the past months!Anyways,My fiance asked me to get him a greendot card and i did so.Im not sure how to check it through their system though to see after i gave him the number if it went into his account.Any info you guys can help me out with will be appreciated!! Thanks.

thugwife
07-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Aint those cards credit cards that are prepaid. If it is, then he cant use them. There is no way that he can use them. They dont take credit during canteen and he wouldnt be able to use them when he calls out on the phone either.

If Im wrong then I'll say I am but IF it is what Im thinking about, he cannot use them. he cant even get a live operator dialing out collect.

ant's wife
07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
if you bought a green dot card that's exactly what it is a pre paid credit card and he can't put money on his own books.

ChickfromMD
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
These ladies are right on target. GreenDots are NOT a way of putting money on his books in MD, and I would be careful because those Green Dot cards are actually considered contraband in MD DOC.

Angisette
08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
i use a website it is to pyut money on my bf books in county (he goes to prison tonight) its touchpay . com i think or something close to that you should be able to use the card on the internet and put the $$ on his books for him. also you can use it on the collect call accounts.

forestparkphil
05-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Hey everyone!Im new to being a member,however have been getting lots of my questions answered in the past months!Anyways,My fiance asked me to get him a greendot card and i did so.Im not sure how to check it through their system though to see after i gave him the number if it went into his account.Any info you guys can help me out with will be appreciated!! Thanks.

I don't think this is meant to add money to his "prison" account. This is more often than not used as a way for the guys on the inside to "move money around". Hopefully he is not being strong-armed or extorted.

Phil

xgot420issuesx
05-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Yep, everyone is right, this is a pre paid debit card and an inmate can not do anything with it and it is illegal for an inmate to have one also. So if you gave him the number for this card, other than something against the rules not to mention illegal, there is NOTHING he can do with it.

In my state, the DOC policy online, clearly states how illegal it is.

crazy2010
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Always check with the prison before you do anything!! Cause what applied last night might be changed today. But I only use the prepaid to send money alot of these peeps are in for crimes having to do with money & fraud. SO DON"T BE A VICTIM!!!!!!

Anewme25
05-27-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't think this is meant to add money to his "prison" account. This is more often than not used as a way for the guys on the inside to "move money around". Hopefully he is not being strong-armed or extorted.

Phil

Exactly! He's tryin to move $ around on the outside...unless there is something in your state that allows people to add $ to books via greendot-but I doubt it. He may owe someone $ too...

heizmyheart
07-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Can someone tell me why an inmate would need 150 every 2 weeks put on a Green Dot Money Card? What exactly are the cards being used for? I hate to question him but to me it just sounds outrageous. Please help a sista out....

Keltria
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Can someone tell me why an inmate would need 150 every 2 weeks put on a Green Dot Money Card? What exactly are the cards being used for? I hate to question him but to me it just sounds outrageous. Please help a sista out....

Hi there and welcome to PTO.

I moved your thread here, because it has the answer you seek. :)

Hisoneandonly
07-08-2010, 03:06 PM

not sure an inmate would need that much for so often. But imo it doesn't sound good

thugwife
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM

There is no way in HELL that a inmate is given a Green Dot Card. It dont happen, it cant be mailed in, and it CANT be used for commisary. Those that are getting money mailed from the prison to apply to the card (that I assume you pay for) is doing dirty dirty.

Now, I dont care. Its on you, but aint no prison in the USA that I have heard of that allows inmates to have prepaid debit cards. Shit, on visit my husband aint even allowed to go to a vending machine nor can he even touch MONEY, so its a no-no.

timsbaby41
07-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm with you Thugwife. He doesnt need that much money. He owes somebody money for something. Does he gamble, is he an addict? Those are the two big money makers in prison ( and tabacoo ).

heizmyheart
07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Thank you all for the input that answered my question.

crazy2010
07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
:)I use prepaid credit cards to put money on his books, I use j-pay over the phone its way more convenient for me. Here in florida they can spend up to $75.00 a week on commissary. I don't put that much but if I did he could spend it. Also at visitation here they can use their inmate card to buy stuff in the visitor park. Hope this info helps!:)

Soon2BmrsP
07-09-2010, 08:19 AM
thugswife said it best-not sure what state your man is in but in this state--green dots arent allowed for an inmate

tarazana
12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Did u ever get asked for one ?

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Msquiroz
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes!!!!
you have to put money on it n I guess u take some out n put some on his books

thatwiz
12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
No.It's a prepaid credit card. I hope he's not asking you for one-he can't have that locked up.

Msquiroz
12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
No.It's a prepaid credit card. I hope he's not asking you for one-he can't have that locked up.

I know..I keep telling mine "your gonna get in trouble If u have that" & he finally listened

rizz'sgirl
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
I thought the green dot cards were refills for the prepaid credit cards??? I think that you can also use them to put money on their books...maybe I'm just behind on everything LOL!!!

Beachhouse
12-12-2011, 10:14 PM
So it's a non allowed thing?

NikNak88
12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
To my knowledge inmates are not allowed to have credit cards...and that is what a Green Dot card is. It's a prepaid debit card (I use mine allllll the time)
The money pak cards are what you buy at 7-11, Walgreens, CVS, etc to load your Green Dot card. The money paks cost 4.95.
There is nothing he can use his Green Dot card for in prison. And from personal knowledge of an inmate who had one...they are usually used for doing illegal things.

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk

SimplyMe123
12-14-2011, 12:23 PM
There are no facilities that use Green Dot cards for canteen. Inmates use these to pay other inmates (through their loved ones), whether it's for contraband, gambling debts, or simply paying someone back for canteen items. There is no reason they would need one for anything sanctioned by the DOC.

HisBetterHalf12
01-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Not sure about anyone else but I know alot about greendot money pack/visa. Was just wondering if there was anyone else goin thru the samething

NikNak88
01-17-2012, 05:11 AM
They cant use them in prison. They are a debit card and they aren't allowed. I use one myself and it's a God send....

I have heard about them being used in there....not for anything legal though. They have someone on the outside purchase the moneypaks and it's usually for something shady, like owing debts or purchasing high priced, disallowed items. So I wouldn't advise any inmate to get involved in all that mess.

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk

SimplyMe123
01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
OK folks, I think we've determined that Money Pak / Green Dot cards may NOT be used for anything "legal" in prison. If they are being used, it is for contraband or other "illegal" prison activities. Please do not instruct others on HOW an inmate gets or gives money with these cards.

This is PTO's policy on Illegal Activities:

Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action (like “The best way to kill the neighbor’s dog”), or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed. Posts such as these will be deleted and may lead to you losing your posting privileges. This policy extends to profiles, avatars, etc., as well. PTO's policy on illegal activities also extends to references of gang activity, as gang activity is illegal (and especially in the prison systems). If you are affiliated with a gang and have a loved one in prison, you are certainly still welcome at PTO, but no reference to such affiliations in posts, profile, avatar, etc. is allowed.

Afireinrome
01-27-2012, 01:23 AM
A green dot card is used by an inmate to basically pay for drugs or other contraband items in prison..at least that what my bf told me before he went in for his 2nd bid

afirsttimer
01-27-2012, 01:30 AM
I didn't read through the entire thread but let me break it down how they use these cards. They use the cards to pay other inmates for things. The inmate gets someone to buy the reload cards and then they give the numbers to the inmate who turns around and gives those same numbers to another inmate as payment. That inmate has someone on the outside put it on an actual card and buys things on the outside. It's their form of cash. It's the new hustle.

Just saw the post from the mods.....not trying to instruct anyone on how to participate in illegal activities at all. I was just trying to put the op up on the game so she won't get conned.

John Yuma
01-27-2015, 05:03 PM
ok, here is what I know, and I may be wrong,,,, if your love one ask for a green dot card, chances are he or she is using it for getting something illegal ,,, for example a smoke or weed, or drugs. its better if you don't get them. you may get in trouble trying to help them ( you love them , why not help), it better if you don't,, in prison there are haves and have nots,,, some people may key in people that get money that way; if you have done in the past, stop and think about it,,,,, it just sounds illegal,,,, we are here to help them

John Yuma
01-27-2015, 05:09 PM
I didn't read through the entire thread but let me break it down how they use these cards. They use the cards to pay other inmates for things. The inmate gets someone to buy the reload cards and then they give the numbers to the inmate who turns around and gives those same numbers to another inmate as payment. That inmate has someone on the outside put it on an actual card and buys things on the outside. It's their form of cash. It's the new hustle.

Just saw the post from the mods.....not trying to instruct anyone on how to participate in illegal activities at all. I was just trying to put the op up on the game so she won't get conned.

you hit it on head,,, they use them to get smokes, beer, drugs,,, a lot of things,, its best to take a pass ( we need to look for other ways to help our love ones,,,,,besides drugs got my son in there,,, help another way)

michael&sonia
10-10-2018, 12:10 AM
These ladies are right on target. GreenDots are NOT a way of putting money on his books in MD, and I would be careful because those Green Dot cards are actually considered contraband in MD DOC.

Hi I'm sonia my bf called today from San Luis Obispo telling me he needs money he just got there n he needs to buy thing but he's asking me to get him green Dot card n I I know u don't put money I with yhoes on there account right he thinks I'm dum but my mom didn't raise no fool he's living huh

miamac
10-10-2018, 12:44 AM
Hi I'm sonia my bf called today from San Luis Obispo telling me he needs money he just got there n he needs to buy thing but he's asking me to get him green Dot card n I I know u don't put money I with yhoes on there account right he thinks I'm dum but my mom didn't raise no fool he's living huh
If he needs to buy from commissary, there is no way a Green Dot is going to help him-- legally. I'm not familiar with the facility, but if he's trying to avoid restitution being taken from his account, this is a really dumb way to do it. If it's any other reason, it's even dumber and I'd be questioning his level of transparency with you.