View Full Version : Convincing judge to let me self surrender...

marcus30
01-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey all, I am being sentenced next week. I want to self surrender, but its not a given for me. My crime was non violent drug offense with no prior history. I have been out of custody the entire time so I am no flight risk. I might be looking at 36-60 months. I was given only 11 days to prepare and make arrangements if I am taken in at sentencing. I need more time, I have my own business, as well as other family issues. Any tips on how to get the judge to let me self surrender?

mrsg
01-16-2004, 01:25 PM
I was told by the probation officer in our case that if you are out of custody before sentencing, then self surrender is a given. DOn't know if this is true, some of the other things he said have not been adhered to.

greyghost
01-17-2004, 06:57 PM
It's not a 'given' but extremely likely. If you followed all of the rules while on pretrial release, then you have a decent chance of being able to self surrender. Basically, have your attorney request that you be allowed to self-surrender, (it is recommended that you have a date in mind. And justification for that date).

They are not going to want to take you into custody and keep you there, when you would make a good self surrender canidate. It cost too much money. Just be prepared that the judge may not allow you stay out as long as you'd like.

Good luck

Greyghost

mrskendrick2you
01-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Hmm, sorry but I have no idea! But I do want to wish you good luck!!