View Full Version : Convincing judge to let me self surrender...

01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey all, I am being sentenced next week. I want to self surrender, but its not a given for me. My crime was non violent drug offense with no prior history. I have been out of custody the entire time so I am no flight risk. I might be looking at 36-60 months. I was given only 11 days to prepare and make arrangements if I am taken in at sentencing. I need more time, I have my own business, as well as other family issues. Any tips on how to get the judge to let me self surrender?

01-16-2004, 02:25 PM
I was told by the probation officer in our case that if you are out of custody before sentencing, then self surrender is a given. DOn't know if this is true, some of the other things he said have not been adhered to.

01-17-2004, 07:57 PM
It's not a 'given' but extremely likely. If you followed all of the rules while on pretrial release, then you have a decent chance of being able to self surrender. Basically, have your attorney request that you be allowed to self-surrender, (it is recommended that you have a date in mind. And justification for that date).

They are not going to want to take you into custody and keep you there, when you would make a good self surrender canidate. It cost too much money. Just be prepared that the judge may not allow you stay out as long as you'd like.

Good luck

01-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Hmm, sorry but I have no idea! But I do want to wish you good luck!!