View Full Version : Mental health at Daniel Prison Unit TX

vjones76118
07-21-2009, 01:35 PM
My husband will more than likely be going down for at least 2 yrs or more. He has some mental health issues, Bi-polar being in. He is on meds. I was wondering what if any mental health programs they may have here. I am researching info for his upcoming court date, a true-but hearing. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thank you and God bless

Drucifer
07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
My husband will more than likely be going down for at least 2 yrs or more. He has some mental health issues, Bi-polar being in. He is on meds. I was wondering what if any mental health programs they may have here. I am researching info for his upcoming court date, a true-but hearing. Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thank you and God bless

I dont know that they have any. Here's what TDCJ says about Daniel:

Medical Capabilities:
Ambulatory medical, dental and mental health services. Telemedicine Services available. All services on a single level. Managed by Texas Tech.

Contract Medical and Psychiatric Employees *:
Medical = 22; Psychiatric = 1

Price Daniel is not a mental health facility so I dont think I would look at it as being anything other than what it is, a CID Prison. Daniel is a safekeeping unit for offenders who might have problems in other institutions. Cops kids, former cops, former judges etc are who you find at Daniel and vulnerable inmates.

britecloud
07-22-2009, 04:58 PM
hey, there...

michael says if there are new mental health concerns on an inmate at daniel (threat of suicide, attempts, other psychiatric issues, etc), the inmate is shipped up to a medical unit in Post- about 45 minutes north of Snyder. He had a cellie that did a two week stint after making a flippant remark about cutting his wrists.

i know of another PTOer with a loved one that was in Daniel and on psychiatric medications and monitored- so if your husband is already taking meds, he should be allowed to continue them and be monitored. I dont think there's therapy to go along with them, though.

hope that helps..

vjones76118
07-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you, it does help. He is an ex-cop so if he does go down, he will more than likely go there. We are just trying to build a defense case at this point. His attorney and I are learning as we go. Just needed some info. I guess there isnt much in TDCJ for bi=polar peolpe other than, heres your meds now shut up. Lack of rehab is why there are so many repeats out there. Anyway, thank you for help.

God bless

Drucifer
07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you, it does help. He is an ex-cop so if he does go down, he will more than likely go there. We are just trying to build a defense case at this point. His attorney and I are learning as we go. Just needed some info. I guess there isnt much in TDCJ for bi=polar peolpe other than, heres your meds now shut up. Lack of rehab is why there are so many repeats out there. Anyway, thank you for help.

God bless

Texas has two safekeeping units. Price Daniel and another one way down south. TDCJ does a good job at classification and my Chris is on bi-polar meds so have faith that he will be placed in the appropriate place. God Bless.