View Full Version : Acc (Anthony Correctional Center) what happens after he is sent there

Littleboooh
07-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Good Morning:

Haven't been on in a while but now I find the need again to converse with folks in the same situation as me.

My son had his pre motions hearing this morning. He was charged with burglary, conspiracy and destruction of property. I had corresponded before about this situation. Was with friends, and the one kid lives in the apartment they broke into.

PA is willing to plea dropping the Conspiracy/Destruction of Property charges. Wants a year to 19 months at ACC. My son has been on home confinement the past 4 months for another charge, has done real well, applied for the Mon Technical school and accepted. Won't go for the HC for a year.

I am devestated I don't want him in this place or any other but I know he has to face what he did. Has had his chances. He is only 20 yet so young in mind. Drinking is a problem and drugs. My big concern is once they get him in there will be hard to get him out when is time is up. I have read emails on here about how they had to go back to regional or this or that. Can anyone enlightened me of what is going to happen.

Need your comfort and support. Feel so lost, scared and alone.

Cathy

justvicki
07-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Morning to you, too Cathy!

The first thing I want to tell you is that if he has to do time your son is extremely lucky to have the opportunity to go to the Anthony Center. Youthful offenders are sent there and given second chance not to have to serve an original sentence of many years. They have the opportunity to complete their programming in as little as 6 months to 2 years. I personally know people who did get out in six months who were looking at 5 + years originally. It all depends on the inmate and how serious they are. The prosecutor cannot mandate a specific time for an inmate who is sentenced to the Anthony Center since the program is based on 6 months to 2 years.

The only time inmates are returned to a regional jail is if they are a disciplinary problem and when they complete their program. In both instances they have to go back before their sentencing judge and either have their original sentence imposed or are released after completing the program.

Of course, as a parent, you don't want to see your child incarcerated. Unfortunately, his actions have already put that into motion. He can work hard at the ACC and get out fairly quickly, as opposed to the hefty time his charges carry.

I spent 2 months at the ACC as a female WVDOC inmate. We were sent there because of the overcrowding in the system to be classified and then sent to prison ground. It is not a bad place at all - a male DOC facility is much worse - and it is geared towards youthful offender programming.

I wish you all the best and hope all turns out well for your son. Good luck!

Littleboooh
07-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Thaks Ms. Vicki. Your knowlege is so informative. Thank you. Chad's probation officer will be doing a report that will go to the sentencing judge. What affect with that have on his decision? Also, here is what Chad's lawyer's response is to a

As it stands now, the State is going to recommend the Anthony Center.
Depending on how it is written I may be able to ask the Judge to consider
home confinement instead. The State may require that Chad agree to the
Anthony Center as part of the plea. The plea hasn't been drafted by the
State yet but we will find out tomorrow morning.

My expectation is that Chad will be allowed to stay home until a bed opens
up at the Anthony Center.
questions I have.
So even if the prosecutor says 1 year and 9 months, if he finishes his program before that with no problems, he will be out?

Thaks Vicki

justvicki
07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
It is my understanding that the commitment to the Anthony Center is for a term of 6 months to 2 years. Here's the direct quote from the facility's home page:

"At present, Anthony Correctional Center primarily houses male and female young adult offenders between the ages of 18-23. Offenders are committed for a term of six months to two years. Once the offender has completed all program requirements, he/she is released to the committing court and receives probation for up to five years. However, if the offender is deemed by the court to be unfit or has repeatedly broken the rules of the institution, he/she can be returned to the committing court to receive the original sentence. "

How quickly the program is completed is strictly up to the inmate, not the prosecutor. They are then released and placed on probation for a time to be determined by the sentencing judge.

The pre-sentencing investigation (PSI) report is given to the judge and he does use that a tool in order to determine someone's sentence. It presents the judge with a fairly complete psychological/social background on the person who is appearing before him. It will include and prior charges and convictions.

As far a further educational opportunities the Anthony Correctional Center is the only adult facility in which offenders are required to enroll and participate in the WV Department of Education programming. These programs include Academics: Basic Skill Development, GED preparation/GED Diploma, Special Education student services, Literacy, ACT preparation, High School Diplomas; Vocational: Auto Mechanics, Business Education, General Building Construction, Culinary Arts, Welding, Transitional Skills and Career Technology. College classes are also available for students through the local Community College.

Hope this helps.

Littleboooh
07-20-2009, 03:49 PM
It is my understanding that the commitment to the Anthony Center is for a term of 6 months to 2 years. Here's the direct quote from the facility's home page:

"At present, Anthony Correctional Center primarily houses male and female young adult offenders between the ages of 18-23. Offenders are committed for a term of six months to two years. Once the offender has completed all program requirements, he/she is released to the committing court and receives probation for up to five years. However, if the offender is deemed by the court to be unfit or has repeatedly broken the rules of the institution, he/she can be returned to the committing court to receive the original sentence. "

How quickly the program is completed is strictly up to the inmate, not the prosecutor. They are then released and placed on probation for a time to be determined by the sentencing judge.

The pre-sentencing investigation (PSI) report is given to the judge and he does use that a tool in order to determine someone's sentence. It presents the judge with a fairly complete psychological/social background on the person who is appearing before him. It will include and prior charges and convictions.

As far a further educational opportunities the Anthony Correctional Center is the only adult facility in which offenders are required to enroll and participate in the WV Department of Education programming. These programs include Academics: Basic Skill Development, GED preparation/GED Diploma, Special Education student services, Literacy, ACT preparation, High School Diplomas; Vocational: Auto Mechanics, Business Education, General Building Construction, Culinary Arts, Welding, Transitional Skills and Career Technology. College classes are also available for students through the local Community College.

Hope this helps.

Vicki, I meant to ask you. Are the folks there allowed their own laptops, tvs, anything like that???

Thanks

justvicki
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
No, unfortunately not.

Littleboooh
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I can understand that. Vicki who does the PSI report, Chad's probation officer. Is there any possibility that they could recommend some other sort of sentence, such as the home confinement?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

justvicki
07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Don't apologize for asking questions. After all, having someone face incarceration isn't something most people know about until it actually happens.

Pre-Sentencing Investigation Reports are done by the county probation office and submitted to the judge for his consideration. It is entirely possible that his current PO will do his report, but there's no guarantee. Yes, it is possible that after the PO completes his investigation they will recommend him for an alternative sentence. That happened in my case, the PO recommended probation for me, but unfortunately, the judge didn't see it that way. :)

Littleboooh
07-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Morning Vicki:

I know you must be sound asleep. Thank you for that post. I hope his PO will say some good things about Chad. She has always liked him and has gone out of her way for him. But one doesn't ever know and one doesn't know about the judge either.

Will just have to prepare for the worst. Being so far away from my son makes it harder. Planning on flying home to see him depending on the outcome.

I am so glad you are here. Thank you.

Cathy
WV

justvicki
07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
You are very welcomed. Remember hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Please let us know how things turn out!