View Full Version : Holmes CI and transfers?

Joy-JD4life
07-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I am new here and I have a few questions... My husband is at Holmes CI. He has been there 21 months now and he was approved in Dec. 08 for a transfer to Martin CI. My question is how long does a transfer usually take? And Why does Holmes go through so many wardens? There is a new lady there now and when I spoke to my husband tonight he said she seems to be fair and does her job. Someone (inmate) was badly hurt and she stayed at the prison til late in the night investigating what happened.
I am just trying to find out about all of this. Thanks Joyce

ben's girl
07-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome to PTO! Glad you found us! :)

I can't answer your question about Holmes, but my husband was approved for a transfer last August and is still waiting to move. Only a couple of years ago transfers moved quickly and now they take much longer depending on where you want to go.

ejordan865
07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a question about transfers too...do the inmates get a choice of where they want to transfer? I know they put in a request and why does it take so long for transfers lately my fiance has heard that there have been some inmates waiting for 1 to 2 years after being approved...is it that they have to wait for available beds?

lin787
07-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I think I heard someone say there had to be another person wanting to go to the prison that your man was wanting to leave, then they would transfer. Im not sure tho.

Im glad to hear the new Warden has some heart! I saw her today and she appears to be a person that you could talk with. She was at some kind of a graduation for some inmates, and shook each graduates hand as they went through the graduation proceedure.:)
Maybe she can get some of the inmates complaint taken care of:)

ben's girl
07-18-2009, 03:58 PM
I think I heard someone say there had to be another person wanting to go to the prison that your man was wanting to leave, then they would transfer. Im not sure tho.

That is for interstate compact. Not for good adjustement, vocational transfers.

ricoswifey
07-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Just a couple years ago, transfers were taking maybe 2 months at the most...Now we've heard of them taking months close to a year, depending on where the inmate wants to go...The prisons in region 3 or 4 are more crowded because more inmates are from these areas so a transfer there I imagine would take long...And yes, inmates get 3 choices of where they want to go...

lin787
08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I thought I posted here, guess not. Sorry for giving wrong info. I just hate that.

ejordan865
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Just a couple years ago, transfers were taking maybe 2 months at the most...Now we've heard of them taking months close to a year, depending on where the inmate wants to go...The prisons in region 3 or 4 are more crowded because more inmates are from these areas so a transfer there I imagine would take long...And yes, inmates get 3 choices of where they want to go...

They get 3 choices? My fiance put in for a transfer to Lawtey but last he heard they told him that he would be going to Wakulla...he is in Gulf now and from Tampa...I thought that they would try to get them closer to their home...but if they send him to Wakulla that is outside Tallahassee...still what... an hour difference, which makes no sense to me.

lin787
08-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Here i go guessing again, but I think the transfer has to be in the same region.

ben's girl
08-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Here i go guessing again, but I think the transfer has to be in the same region.

No, it does not.

lin787
08-23-2009, 03:15 PM
OH geeish.....................(slaps self in the head) Im so sorry, Im trying to help, honest I am. No help is better than wrong help:(

WorkerB
09-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Transfers are based on the number of inmates waiting to go to a specific facility. We all know why transfers used to go so fast (right?) As someone said, the southern most prisons have the longest waiting lists. Some still are working on early 08 transfer requests. Per procedure if the inmate only chooses one location for transfer or chooses three but all three are not available the institution may designate an acceptable facility. Good adjustment transfers are the only one's inmates have any say so in. If they are transferred for other reasons the institution will usually designate the transfer location. If it is an educational needs transfer, the classification officer will likely discuss locations with the inmate and take the input into consideration when making the request.