View Full Version : How much does it cost to open a prison?

RedSox
07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
My dream is to open a small private prison for well behaved prisoners. Good meal and good rooms.

How much would it cost to open a private prison that can house like 100 prisoners?

If you were rich and willing to do it, could states allow it easily?

SpicaRigel
07-06-2009, 03:46 PM
First, how do you determine who are "well behaved prisoners"?
Good food and rooms?
How much to open one for like 100 prisoners?
I have no idea. Im not trying to be sarcastic, but maybe you should contact Hilton or Hyatt Hotels?
Seeing that prison is not to be so comfortable that someone wouldnt think twice about coming back,im not sure what your point is.
If i had the money to open up such a place...no, i wouldnt.
I am assuming you are doing this for profit?

scorpiofoxx82
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I think I follow you. I never considered opening a unit but I have wondered why prisons house violent offenders with non-violent offenders. Every unit I can think of is state or government based so I'm not sure if that's something an individual can do. Why don't you look into opening an halfway house or something to that effect? There are so many things that we CAN do and I think it is commendable that you are considering taking that extra step to help. Where there's a will, there's a way and remember that when one door closes another one opens. Stay encouraged and keep cranking out ideas!

SpicaRigel
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Good point Scorpio. I had thought about the halfway house idea as i read this.
im glad you brought that up.

sarahh7778
07-07-2009, 08:50 PM
companies that run private facilities put a bid into the state on how much they will run one for and pretty much the lowest bidder gets it. But i doubt the state would contract to anyone other than a corporation that is created entirely for corrections. I doubt a random rich person even with the lowest bid could get a contract. I do think the amount of money that is spent, even on the small camps, would blow your mind. Check out one of the private companies like CCA or GEO and there is info on their websites about costs of running facilities. Exorbitant! But it is a nice thought.

only1love
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
My dream is to open a small private prison for well behaved prisoners. Good meal and good rooms.

How much would it cost to open a private prison that can house like 100 prisoners?

If you were rich and willing to do it, could states allow it easily?

This type of question from a very sincere person was asked on FedCURE. The response was complicated, however basically it seems that they only approve the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. for places like that. ( If you mean like a camp or HWH).
It is a shame because some people do have the funds to sponsor something like that and can't!

Fries With That
07-08-2009, 03:30 AM
i always wanted to create a prison to separate violent offenders and non violent offenders. corrupt guards would be fired