View Full Version : half way house nightmare

maisha
01-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Help! Please give me an idea of whether or not what's happening is the way it should be. First a rep, came to the prison and made it seem as if it would be very easy to be sent home if an inmate already had a job and a home. Suffice to say nothing that was said in the prison is the way it is in the halfway house. Secondly, my husband was told that because he will only be in the halfway house for 30 days they are going to take 25% plus an additional 2 weeks in advance, out of his first check. Please tell me if this is legal. My husband will work two weeks and the halfway house wants 75% of his first check, He will be working for them. He makes extremely good money and not to mention, there are so many guys that aren't working at all. Can they do this? What happens if he refuses to pay? Also just for my info, if someone is in a halfway house and doesn't work, are they required to pay for room and board even after they leave the halfway house?

babycow
01-14-2004, 07:29 AM
i don't really know the answer, but when my hunnie was talking about the possibility to go to a half-way house instead of prison he said he'd rather not go just because the rules are so hard. He was even mentioning to me that they take their paychecks and leave them with $20 to keep for the next two weeks til getting paid again. I think thats terrible.

hslittlebit
01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
My guy told his P.O. that he would not go to a half way house he has heard really bad things about them. Like what you said and if you go to any group they take more of his pay check. If they want a Poly at any time he would have to pay for that too! He also heard storys that others didn't get along with the head guy and next thing there were drugs planted in his room! Now he is back with a new charge! He said he wouldn't sign the papers to go there! Well as it is he is going to my mom and dads! Only thing is I can't live there! But that is just untill he gets done with house arrest! 90 days! That is so dumb....They just (HAD) to put that in there..And we are married!!!!! I can not wait till Max out day (this summer) When is your guys? Just tell your guy to watch his back!!!!!! I will pray that things get better for you both.

John B. Webster
01-14-2004, 05:01 PM
First, if he refuses Halwway House they can issue a shot that he is refusing a BOP program. They do not always do so, but they can. Second, the fee for a CCC is 25% of the gross, once he gets a job and he has 3 weeks to get one, Realistically, will he be able to do so? Maybe he might want to look for other jobs his first few weeks. My quess is that they will only be able to grab a week or so of paychecks. Third, they do not charge or try to collect money after he leaves.

ridehardlivfree
01-14-2004, 05:33 PM
I was released to a half-way after doing my sentence. I was there for three months. In that three month time I had to buy a car and insurance and rent an apartment, while forking out 25% of gross to the HWH. That was no big deal really. On my last day there I received my paycheck and my counselor called me in to sign the release papers and collect their last 25%. I had bad news for her, lol. I told her they were burnt out of that last payment. She wasn't happy but there wasn't anything she could do about it. I told my P.O. a few days later and he said it was between the HWH and me. He didn't care. The HWH never said a word more about it and I certainly didn't offer to fork out anymore chump-change to them.
The three months I spent there was nothing really. I worked 12 hour days so I just got up went to work came back and watched a little tube and got up and did it all over again. It wasn't long before I had weekend passes. Oh yeah, they did have rotating jobs that everyone would be assigned like picking up cigarette butts in the parking lot, or washing some windows, stupid little things to remind you that they are the boss.
I never had any problems while at the HWH. I had been locked up for a number of years and I was just thankful to have some semblance of a normal life back.

hslittlebit
01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
When you are talking about a shot (do you mean they can add more time?)cause my guy has only 7 months to max out.I had talked to the super PO at his camp and he told me that he would have to pay for rent and groups and he would have to pay for any ploy's they want. He also said they will take some of his money and put in a savings to give to them when the get out. My guy just wanted to be 12/12 if he couldn't come home to me. But like I said that will be this summer. This is in Missouri

John B. Webster
01-15-2004, 04:45 PM
A shot is a disciplinary write-up caused by an infraction. If issued, punishment can range from a warning,loss of priveleges, to the hole to complete loss of good time.
They mandate that 25% of your gross go into a passbook savings so you're not broke when you leave and go out and rob ans store or something on the way home.. Financially the Halfway is is tough. Let's so you get a check for $500.00 gross. There are taxes of about $130.00 leaving tou $370.00 then there is $125.00 for the house and another $125.00 to savings leaving you a grand total $120.00. Event thought you get the 25% savings back, it soenst help you pay your bills while there.

hookup122776
01-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Does everyone have to go to a half way house?
are they always in the city or area you live in?
Thanks,

imissrondale
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
My husband was in a halfway house and he liked it you could leave and go visit and look for a job if you worked they did take a percentage for room and board you were only allowed to have a certain amount of money on you the rest had to be put into an account if ya had fines and stuff they take that out for you they had a setup just like a college dorm bigscreen tv and pool table they were aloowed to smoke and use the phone up till midnight family mambers could visitbut i gues all are different yo do have to take drug tests everytime you come back from somewhere and they have to know where you are at certain times you have to call in but from what i saw they all liked it more then being in jail but i hope your man gets everything figured out goodluck

maisha
01-21-2004, 10:17 AM
My husband was told he needs to pay $589.00 out of a 7 day check, he has refused, and was told the BOP will take his good time away. Can they do this if he is already in a halfway house?

John B. Webster
01-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Yes they can. Do not forget: He is NOT out of prison. He is merely in a community confinement center and yes they can and will take away his good time if they deem it necessary.

ExBOPer
01-21-2004, 03:11 PM
The subsistence payment required is 25% of gross, up to $450/week.

kintml2u
01-21-2004, 03:44 PM
So if what you are stating are facts HLisa, then they can't take the $589.00 from him? Only up to 450?

Diane

ExBOPer
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM
The maximum (currently) is $450 per week.

ButterflyDancer
01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Am learning a LOT here...

1. If a guy cannot find employment or loses what he has for reasons having nothing to do with his work performance, what happens? Can he be sent to
prison? (federal)

2. Is home confinement an immediate option instead of CCC if the guy has a home and job waiting for him? (federal) My husband was on electronic monitoring on bond prior to going in for nearly a year. If he keeps a clean record in will that and the prior bond be considered when he nears the six month mark toward home confinement instead of CCC?

ExBOPer
01-22-2004, 08:51 AM
1. It depends upon the specific facts.

2. No, usually home confinement is limited to the last half of CCC placement - some exceptions exist (health, geography, etc.) - BTW - you still pay subsistence.

KelliKoz
01-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I have a few questions, maybe Lisa or others can help.

My husband is getting closer to release. How do I find out which halfway house he will be released to? A friend I made while visiting my husband complains all the time about the halfway house her son is in. However, my husband will be in a different state. I think she is also more of a complainer. My husband adapts easily to "rules", he's done 18 calendars after all and has been a model prisoner with no shots. How is home confinement determined and earned? I'm looking for all aspects for jobs and we have friends that own their own businesses that are willing to employ him also. I'm trying to find the "best" job possible as he has obtained his bachelor's degree and will have his masters by the time he is released. I know eighteen months will go by quickly and I am trying to do some advance preparation. I will gladly pay subsistence in exchange for house arrest if they allow that after time. How is that determined?

Thanks for the help. His release is scheduled for Reno, Nevada.

Kelli