View Full Version : Electronic Monitoring Questions - Texas

mary2752
07-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Would appreciate any information regarding cost of electronic monitoring units. My son will be wearing one for about a year. Any info about the limitations, costs, whatever, would help. Thanks.

MamaB58
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Would appreciate any information regarding cost of electronic monitoring units. My son will be wearing one for about a year. Any info about the limitations, costs, whatever, would help. Thanks.
Im not sure if they are all the same, but my son wore one for 2 years to make sure he wasnt drinking. it was a strap around his ankle that had a little box on it. it buzzed and took readings every 30 minutes or so. Then at 3am a modem would send those readings to Dallas throught the phone line. His bed had to be positioned within 20 ft of the modem. The cost was 360. month.

thenderson
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow! My fiance has to have one of those and he is suppose to have it 30to 60 days. Geez

MamaB58
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM
they arent cheap thats for sure, and my son kept having problems with his and having to drive to downtown houston to have the battery changed or the whole thing changed. Quite a pain. Plus they have to be careful of what kind of soap, shampoo, deodorant, cough meds, shaving cream, etc they use. alcohol is in everything and it will show up, although it is supposed to register between what goes IN the body vs. what goes ON the body, but to be on the safe side, read all labels.

thenderson
07-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh my god, I am wondering will he be able to transfer to Houston?

MamaB58
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Im sure they have other offices. I know that the man that put the monitor on told us he goes all over the place. He would come to Angleton on Thursdays for battery changes, so we could go there and to Houston when there were other problems. When they put the bracelet on they will tell him where to go for battery changes and for repairs that is closest to him. I think the company used was Healthcare Recovery Corp. Im not sure if they are the only one used in the state or if there are others, but you can look them up online and see where all they are listed in the state.

Mark2008
07-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Strange. I was never asked to pay, because I would have turned that down in a heartbeat.

even as it was, there were just too many limitations for me. I tried it once, managed for about 2 months, got violated on a technicality for coming home later than allowed. so the next time, I told them "no way, no how" and just went back inside. Prison was easier for me than dealing with that. Just one man's story.

mamajmg
07-04-2009, 08:36 AM
I know of a young man who has been on the ankle monitor device for a little over a year now. Although he said it was something that definitely took getting used to he has had no complications of his probation from it.

It's something we were looking into for my son and he told me that the best advice he could give was that you had to have your mind set to disciplining yourself that it was all about following the rules - no leeway - no excuses - and that when he got frustrated with the restriction he would remind himself that at least he was sleeping in his own bed at night without waking up next to another man! lol

MamaB58
07-04-2009, 10:43 AM
very true mamajmg, Its an annoyance for sure and sometimes aggravating, BUT it allowed him to come home until sentencing which was for 2 years. I wouldnt take that 2 years back for nothing. It allowed us to get closer, have fun and make lots of wonderful memories. He never once faltered on it and it can certainly show responsibility on his part to the court.

Mark2008
07-05-2009, 01:13 AM
please understand that time spend under electronic monitoring DOES NOT count against a person's sentence.

MamaB58
07-05-2009, 09:41 AM
No, it doesnt, its was a "condition" of his being released on bond until trial. But also he may have to wear it when he comes out if he is paroled before his full sentence is up, again, it will be a "condition" of parole.

Mark2008
07-05-2009, 02:56 PM
That was my case. I was on mandatory supervision and wasn't informed of such until the day of release. Tried to turn it down and wasn't allowed to. It didn't work well for me. In fact, it was 10 years ago this week that I got out, cut the thing off my ankle, stayed out for a week to take care of some personal business and then turned myself in on a blue warrant July 5. (Eventually sent to ISF, where i met others who had done the same thing.) I had been burned too many times and wasn't going to play their games any longer.

abyaces
08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Any idea what the range is? Are they all the same?
can they see your exact location or just like a 50-100 ft range?

MamaB58
08-09-2009, 04:07 PM
well, I think it depends on what type of monitor we are talking about. My son had the type of monitor that took physical readings such as body temp, heartrate, and if any alcohol was consumed. It uploaded every night and the monitor had to be within 20 feet of the modem. If he was going somewhere for the night, he had to take the modem with him and plug it into a landline for the reading. If you are talking about the GPS type of monitor to monitor his whereabouts, thats a different type of thing and I really dont know anything about them.

WilcoMom
08-09-2009, 10:59 PM
well, I think it depends on what type of monitor we are talking about. My son had the type of monitor that took physical readings such as body temp, heartrate, and if any alcohol was consumed. It uploaded every night and the monitor had to be within 20 feet of the modem. If he was going somewhere for the night, he had to take the modem with him and plug it into a landline for the reading. If you are talking about the GPS type of monitor to monitor his whereabouts, thats a different type of thing and I really dont know anything about them.

What if they can't pay the $360.00 a month for this gizmo ...

piercedkitten83
08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
This wasn't a comforting topic to read. I'm more than positive Matthew's going to need this once he's out again. And he would need the GPS one. =/
I'll have to ask him about the fees. He was using one the last time he got released. I forgot if he mentioned about a cost to use it.

MamaB58
08-10-2009, 07:49 PM
What if they can't pay the $360.00 a month for this gizmo ...
If their payment is late or shows any alcohol, it is reported to the court. Im guessing the court could revoke their parole and send them back.

WilcoMom
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
But if they can't earn enough money to pay for the monitor, and pay for parole, and pay for any classes they are required to take and pay for their living expenses too .... they go back to prison?

latinafever24
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
My hubby is being released on a monitor and the lady at the Amarillo board said there was no fee for these monitors. You may want to call Huntsville and ask for sure or call your local parole office.

MamaB58
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
My hubby is being released on a monitor and the lady at the Amarillo board said there was no fee for these monitors. You may want to call Huntsville and ask for sure or call your local parole office.
hey, maybe its different for parolees. I sure hope so! Mine wore his while out on bail and thats what his charge was. I would sure like to find out if there is no fee when its a parolee. That would sure make a big difference. If someone finds out, please let us know!

1and1makes2
08-13-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm hoping this isn't one of our conditions! UGH Anyway....I knew a guy once upon a long time ago that had to wear one. He could go to work and home and had a certain time he HAD to be at his residence! There was a certain yardage he could go from his house, such as across the street. On weekends he go to leave his house for two hours and buy groceries or whatever! It wasn't the type of monitor that read body temp, etc. Just a plain 'ole electronic monitor! He used to try to drown it in the bathtub! LOL

MamaB58
08-14-2009, 01:32 PM
LOL, we went fishing once and the salt water got in his waders.....oooooops

trishie35
03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
My son was just released on a em leg monitor and so far things are going along but it seems the parole doesn't really clarify alot of our questions. We had an incident yesterday that scared us both. We left the parole office and got home an hour before his scheduled time which was 4pm. we arrived home at 3:00 when we arrived I had a goat out in the pasture that had just had babies but one was dead so I asked my son to come help me bury it, I thought it would be ok for him to be outside since it was before his lockdown time of 4pm. We were back in the house by 3:30 and then we got worried that maybe he had screwed up by coming home and leaving the inside of the house. We had asked parole about leaving then coming back if he forgot something and she had said not to do that. We did call parole and they said they were busy and would call back and guess what no one ever did. We just aren't clear on all the restrictions yet. She said when it is lockdown time he cannot go outside the house but I just can't figure out how they know if he is on the porch versus in the house. I asked if there is a certain area around the monitor he can go and she wouldn't tell me only that he must stay inside. Does anyone have any details they can give me about how much distance he might have? Does the monitor know if you are outside even if you are within 20' of the box? It would be nice if he could just sit on the porch. Anyhelp would be great since the parole office won't give us any answers. We did ask if the monitor would blink or flash red if he goes over his range but she just said NO!!!

trishie35
03-06-2010, 08:20 AM
hey, maybe its different for parolees. I sure hope so! Mine wore his while out on bail and thats what his charge was. I would sure like to find out if there is no fee when its a parolee. That would sure make a big difference. If someone finds out, please let us know!

My son was just released on parole and there is no fee on a EM if you are on parole other than if they destroy the equipment in some way. You only have to pay for the phone line. Regular parole fees is all.

MamaB58
03-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I guess they dont wanna give you the particulars on it, so you wont skirt around them. It almost sounds like he is on house arrest with those hours. 4pm? Hows he supposed to work? How long is this for? Im picturing my son not being able to go to any of his kids sports games because of the hours. So many questions, so few answers.

walkonwater
03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
My son was just released on a em leg monitor and so far things are going along but it seems the parole doesn't really clarify alot of our questions. We had an incident yesterday that scared us both. We left the parole office and got home an hour before his scheduled time which was 4pm. we arrived home at 3:00 when we arrived I had a goat out in the pasture that had just had babies but one was dead so I asked my son to come help me bury it, I thought it would be ok for him to be outside since it was before his lockdown time of 4pm. We were back in the house by 3:30 and then we got worried that maybe he had screwed up by coming home and leaving the inside of the house. We had asked parole about leaving then coming back if he forgot something and she had said not to do that. We did call parole and they said they were busy and would call back and guess what no one ever did. We just aren't clear on all the restrictions yet. She said when it is lockdown time he cannot go outside the house but I just can't figure out how they know if he is on the porch versus in the house. I asked if there is a certain area around the monitor he can go and she wouldn't tell me only that he must stay inside. Does anyone have any details they can give me about how much distance he might have? Does the monitor know if you are outside even if you are within 20' of the box? It would be nice if he could just sit on the porch. Anyhelp would be great since the parole office won't give us any answers. We did ask if the monitor would blink or flash red if he goes over his range but she just said NO!!!

Yes, the monitor will sound after a couple of minutes when the bracelet is out of range if the monitor is in the charger. My hubby was on a leg bracelet for over a year. There is a perimeter range from the main box that he was allowed to be within while inside the house. When he first got it... there was a corner in the house farthest away from the unit that was not included in the perimeter. We spoke to the PO about it and it is my understanding that they "adjusted" the range from the box to allow him to travel inside his own home with no problems. Keep in mind that even if your son choses to go "outside" when he is on "lockdown"... they may not find out physically, but at some point he will probably have to take a polygraph and any "flags" on answers are looked at carefully.
When they came out to install the monitor for my hubby, we asked right off the bat if we could sit out back on the patio. We have an enclosed privacy fence and the patio is our "second" den, decorated with table chairs, and it was our place for smoking. They gave my husband permission to be on the patio while on "lockdown" but NOT outside the house in front. This was a blessing for us and helped with that caged feeliing for hubby. He was very careful not to step off the patio during those times and obeyed all the rules, curfews and he called each and every time there was a problem, false alert or anything that seemed wrong with the monitor. There are several alerts that can happen... for instance "Bracelet gone" means he is out of range from the box, and "Curfew violation" means the monitor was not in the cradle at the scheduled lock down time. my advice is CALL! CALL! Leave messages if you have to then keep calling until you can talk to the PO or his supervisor when this happens. IT saved us from many warrants being issued. The thing would sound off in the middle of the night sometimes. Hubby would reset it, go back to sleep then call first thing in the morning when the PO office was open to let them know. They quickly learned at the parole office that he was going to call with any indiscrepancy with the monitor and intended to follow the rules. I would encourage you to have your son do the same. No shortcuts! Also, call someone, anyone if there are any alerts and don't just assume that things will be ok. The first day my hubby was home, the PO office called on the phone line and we didnt hear the phone ring. The monitor phone was in the bedroom and we were in the front of the house visiting with family and celebrating his return home. We were contacted by the PO later that evening to find that a warrant had been issued because of the missed call! Thankfully it was rescinded before the police could serve it. Just keep in mind that you MUST alert the PO to any problems, before that problem becomes a warrant that makes it way through the channels. Trying to fix a problem 1 or 2 days after ... may result in going to jail and sitting and hoping that the PO will be able to get him out.
As far as the situation you had with your son helping with the goat..... my hubby says, that once the monitor is placed back in the stand upon returning home.... you are on lockdown. Once you do this, you can not walk back outside the home. If you come home and for example walk to the mail box to the get the mail, or in your case, help bury an animal... as long as the monitor is not in the charger, you should be ok, as long as you still have time remaining on the schedule for being out. The PO has no way of knowing in this instance, if you had problems getting back into the house or whatever. Just take it slow and easy and the PO office will get to know your son and as the weeks go by the restrictions will lessen. They just have to get to know him and his attitude and be confident that he will follow the rules. Being on a leg monitor is very "do-able". We were able to make it through 1 year 1 month on it with no instances of being revoked or jailed. HOpe this helps and doesn't confuse you much. Please let me know if I can answer any other questions.

here are a couple of links from the Parole division handbook that might be helpful with the GPS monitoring.

this one is for the monitoring itself and the guidelines they use.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/parole/3.15.10%20%20Global%20Positioning%20System%20Monit oring%20%20(7-1-03).pdf

this one is the main page with all the chapters listed.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/parole/parole-policies.htm#ch3sct15

amware75
04-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I am on parole on the SISP Monitoring system in Texas. I have been on this thing since my release in December 2007. I did everything required of me within the first year and I am still on it. I was wondering if anyone knows who is the top person in Austin whom I can contact about getting off.

mylove1980
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Very interesting info but I was wondering i do have a landline, but i have my computer too and its that digital box where it works with the landline. no interruptions. I even get calls from him from the unit and its ok. But does anyone know if i have to disconnect the computer or get another landline? Does anyone have your love one on the landline and computer as well. Appreciate the info. thanks
Just to let the regulars know, my love prd is in Aug. that will be 31 yrs locked up and will be freeeee! at last. yep 31 calendar years. I thank our Jesus Christ and all yalls prayers! I keep praying for a sudden release now! :Dthanks everyone

*Quia*
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
When my husband was released he was on a monitor. They told me that I had to get a seperate land line. My computer is also connected to land line and the PO said that would cause problems with the monitor. So I got a seperate land line just for the monitor. I called the phone company and told them my situation and told them I needed the baisc of the basic with not features what so ever attached. It was only about 8 extra dollars a month.

mylove1980
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
ahhh thanks so much, well ill get that prepared and ready. appreciate it

When my husband was released he was on a monitor. They told me that I had to get a seperate land line. My computer is also connected to land line and the PO said that would cause problems with the monitor. So I got a seperate land line just for the monitor. I called the phone company and told them my situation and told them I needed the baisc of the basic with not features what so ever attached. It was only about 8 extra dollars a month.

Firebrand
04-14-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm wearing one right now. There's 2 types of monitoring setups...basically. Super Intensive Supervision Program with a Global Positioning Satalite monitor and Intensvie Supervision with an electronic monitor. If he has to wear a box on his hip when he leaves the house he got stuck with the 1st one. If he only has to wear one around the ankle he wound up with the 2nd one. The cost of the phone line dedicated to the monitor should be the only cost you have to deal with. The phone line needs to be bare. They don't want any custom calling features or the like on the phone line. They'll put the ankle bracelet on him at the Walls in Huntsville the day he gets out. A field officer or his parole officer with the Parole division will come to your house and install a base unit or a beacon connected to the phone jack attachment they connect to the existing phone jack on the day he goes in to report the 1st time.
There's a rule about the monitor he needs to get in his head from the beginning and never stray from. It's usually ok to leave a little late and come home a little early, but it's never ok to leave a little early and come home a little late.
If all he has to wear is the ankle monitor they usually give a 7am-7pm window to work with. They could check up on him to see what and where he's going, but the for the most part they don't do that due to so many people to keep up with. If he has to go the SISP route they know every where he goes 24/7. Keeping a job, passing your drug tests, and paying your fees are the quickest way to get off of the monitor. The ankle monitor only cases are usually 2-3 months and then they remove them. SISP cases are for a minimum of 1 year. Good luck

Michelep68
04-14-2010, 09:48 AM
My fiancee is on one, too. He has a curfew during the week, must stay home on Saturday, and is given enough time to go to church and run errands on Sunday. He has to give a schedule every time he checks in for the next two weeks. He was released from a unit since he was in IPTC and they put the ankle monitor on there. When I picked him up, we had to go straight to the PO office to get the machine, then take it home and plug it up. He's supposed to be on it for 90 days, but we're hoping he gets off it in 60. I had everything removed from my phone line and there is no additional cost for the system. It hasn't been that bad, I just hate that we're basically on lockdown on the weekends, since I don't want to go out without him. I'll be glad when he gets off it and really has his "Freedom", but I'm ok with this for now, as long as he's home with me! :)

Goldyloxn4bears
05-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Does everyone get charged $360.00 a month for it? We can't afford that!

Michelep68
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
We don't pay anything for it unless we damage it. He does have to pay his parole fees, but that's only $18/month.

MamaB58
05-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Does everyone get charged $360.00 a month for it? We can't afford that!

Thats what my son had to pay, but it was while he was out on bond. I was afraid of having to pay that when he comes home, too. But from what I have read on here, coming home on parole is different and Ive not found anyone having to pay it on parole. Thank goodness!!