View Full Version : CDCR Officer Arrested for DUI

jmbaby
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Well look who got caught drinking and driving.........

http://cbs13.com/breakingnews/Corrections.Official.Arrested.2.1039654.html

DavidsGirl4Ever
06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow...he's the undersecretary of operations...but I think this was my favorite part...

Kernan is currently on personal leave until a decision is made regarding the punishment for the situation at hand.

I wonder if he will get jail time or told he has to program...I highly doubt it.

kima
06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
He'll be back to his job real soon, I'm sure. After all, he's one of the "good" guys. Nice that he was driving a state car that taxpayers paid for, huh?

11/4/2008
Scott Kernan, 47, of Rancho Murieta, has been appointed undersecretary of operations for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR). He has worked for over 20 years in the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation where he served as acting chief deputy secretary of the Division of Adult Operations since 2007. He was previously deputy director of the Division of Adult Operations from 2006 to 2007. Kernan was warden of California State Prison, Sacramento from 2004 to 2006 and warden, chief deputy and associate warden at Mule Creek State Prison from 2003 to 2004. Prior to that, he spent eight years serving in various roles at the California Medical Facility including: public information and employee relations officer; correctional captain; and facility captain. Kernan began his career with CDCR in 1983 as a correctional officer. This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $160,860. Kernan is a Republican.

jmbaby
06-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow...he's the undersecretary of operations...but I think this was my favorite part...

I wonder if he will get jail time or told he has to program...I highly doubt it.

I'm sure he will be back at his job. Somehow "they" will justify his DUI. My understanding is that he was not arrested. The CDCR at its best; covering up crimes!!!

DavidsGirl4Ever
06-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm sure he will be back at his job. Somehow "they" will justify his DUI. My understanding is that he was not arrested. The CDCR at its best; covering up crimes!!!

According to this article he was arrested. I guess he is also the 2nd ranking administrator for the CDCr.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/scott-kernan-the-second-ranking-administrator-of-californias-prison-system-has-been-arrested-on-suspicion-of-driving-wh.html

Kima...I agree with you about the car and on top of it I am sure we as taxpayers picked up his bar tab as well.

kima
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM
CDCr doesn't arrest people, but they do manage to keep a lot of questionable employee's on their payroll! This will be interesting. Whatever happened to the CCPOA guy, Lance Corcoran, who was passed out drunk in his car last year? There haven't been any further news articles about him that I've come across...

Just did a quick web search and here's what I found out on Lance (I'm pretty sure he still works for the CCPOA):
Corcoran, Lance, 45, of Rancho Murieta: First conviction, three years' formal probation, $2,323 fine, seven days in jail, first-offender drinking-driver program, driver's license restricted.

Interesting that Lance and Scott live in the same wealthy enclave.

tigger925
06-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, if it is the first one, you don't usually get jail time.

kima
06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
There's another article posted about this in the news forum. I think first time dui's (if this is his first?) get a fine, a few days jail time, restricted license, a drinking program and three years formal probabtion. I don't know what additional penalties he faces for driving a state vehicle while drunk. Just out of curiosity, I wonder what cdcr state business he was doing at 8:00pm on a Sunday night? Dinner and drinks with Arnie? lol

He's my heart
06-10-2009, 09:01 PM
WOW! If he was an employee in the private sector he would most likely be fired! On a Sunday, after 8 p.m. in a state vehicle, speeding & over the blood alcohol limit...mmmm, lets see what happens.

kima
06-10-2009, 09:12 PM
According to the link Davidswife posted:
....triggering a disciplinary review and postponement of a June 24 state Senate confirmation hearing, a spokesman said Wednesday.

I wonder if the senate will still confirm him? It's going to be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Mbyrd
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
WOW! If he was an employee in the private sector he would most likely be fired! On a Sunday, after 8 p.m. in a state vehicle, speeding & over the blood alcohol limit...mmmm, lets see what happens.

The Sacramento county court records show that he's charged with CVC 23152(a) and (b). He's not in jail. He'll be arraigned on July 16. Bet he gets a slap on the wrist fine, and maybe a small suspension from his job with pay. Let's keep the taxpayers paying for those state vehicles, though. We can do without education, CalWorks, Healthy Families, but let's keep those drunk state workers behind the wheel at our expense!

tigrldy
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
We had a judge in our city arrested a few years ago on a DUI. The media got ahold of it so it could not remain silent. The best part - he was the traffic judge. The did a least bring in an outside judge and he was moved, but isn't is interesting for someone to be passing judgement on people and they are doing the same thing.

bincita
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Pfft! There should be an uproar if this guy doesn't get EXACTLY what anyone else would get!

DavidsGirl4Ever
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
If he would have killed someone while drinking and driving a state car...the state would have been looking at a HUGE lawsuit...he needs to be FIRED! No ifs, and or buts about it....if he is driving a company car, then he is on the clock as far as I am concerned.

dui_boy
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
hope he gets to be a guest of a CDCR facility sometime. but of course it won't happen.