View Full Version : Digger Tx Federal Prison

Digger
03-29-2002, 05:19 AM
I have heard about a book by Alan Ellis “Federal Prison Guide Book 2002 Edition” dose anyone have any information on it. Thank You, John

torrey
03-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Hey Digger,
Sorry i can't answer your question. I researched the title of the book you wanted information on and came across some other books that had reviews.

This gave me an idea that I would like to hear about some good books. I will cut and paste the book reviews I came across. I'll keep a look out for your book.

ditorial Reviews
The author, Tracy W. Humble email: tracy@federalprison.com , January 25, 1998
Headed to Club Fed? Loved ones or friends already there?
This book has been reviewed by The WALL STREET JOURNAL, American Bar Association, Gannett News Service, Houston Chronicle, Publishers Weekly and many others. -A serious and humorous 288 pages completed after serving time for a banking violation. "Contrary to the rumors you may have heard, you cannot keep the golf clubs... or the $3,000 hair piece."
It does answer the infamous question, "Is there life after self-surrender?"
Part One covers: what & where, visitation, food, items to be purchased in the commissary, jobs, money, income, medical services, security, safety, facilities and population. It has a useful convict slang dictionary- "Blanket Party" does not occur at the beach and "Good Time" it ain't.
Part Two- Stories from and about the people with whom an inmate lives. They've done it all, just not necessarily been caught. These short stories reveal how one will meet folks from every walk of life and learn things you hope you never use.
Part Three- "What the Authorities Will Never Tell You" includes techniques and guidance to deal with the real issues... how you got there in the first place, how to effectively do the time and how to insure you never return.
All Customer Reviews
Avg. Customer Rating:

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers!
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

Great insights into the federal system, November 27, 2001
Reviewer: Diane D from New York, NY United States
I purchased .... some time ago and loved it. The book has great
insight into the Federal System, .... along with the many
chuckles I received throughout. Don't think I will ever forget the Milkman
job. Still chuckle when I think about that one, and told my friend that he
ought to get a job as a milkman (or equivalent) if he can.... worked into
the meditation aspects beautifully. Something I am a dye hard believer in.
I truly want to thank you for writing this book. There are so many of us
that have a long time friends or loved one going to prison and don't know
beans about the system
Was this review helpful to you?**
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

What happened? or How did I get here from there?, October 24, 2000
Reviewer: alexis from ORLANDO, FLORIDA USA
A must read for people entering the world of the penal system including inmates, attorneys, family and friends. Know what to expect each step of the way and find out how you got there in the first place! Great reading for anyone interested in how we make our reality happen.
Was this review helpful to you?**
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

A Travel Guide to Where You Don¿t Want to go, October 5, 2000
Reviewer: Dan Poynter, author of The Self-Publishing Manual
(see more about me) from Santa Barbara, CA USA
This is an insider's guide to federal prisons. Tracy Humble tells you exactly what to expect at Club Fed; what will happen and how to make the best of your stay. Then he goes on to describe and rate each of the federal prisons according to security level, capacity, staff size, housing, education opportunities, medical services, religious services and so on. There is a glossary of convict slang. This is a travel guide to unpleasant distant places.
This delightful book is great armchair reading-hopefully your armchair is outside the fence.
As the author of 113 books (including revisions and foreign-language editions) and over 500 magazine articles, I am very impressed with the way Tracy wrote and published his book under difficult (incarcerated) conditions. DanPoynter@ParaPublishing.com.

Amelia
03-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Torrey.are these books all for federal prisons? Any suggestions on good books for state prisons ( we are in Texas)?

Shortie
03-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Amelia
State prison all differ so we may need to do some online research and see what we can dig up. I will look later ok. I need something to take my mind off of my friend.

David
03-29-2002, 07:54 PM
I have the Federal Prison Guidebook by Ellis (2000 edition)
It has a lot of information that can be found on the BOP website and other statistical info from a few different places.
Thanks to Kali for sending it to me.
I'll give you full details in this forum tomorrow (hopefully). I am moving and about to leave so I must keep this short for the moment.

More later,
David

kali
03-29-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes, I have it. Basicly it tells you a bit about all of the federal prisons. Commisary, who lives there, what skills are taught, religious services, visiting,etc...If you want to know something, let me know and I will look it upo for you.
Kali.
PS you can oder the book by calling415-332-6464 or go to
http://alanellis.com

sherri13
03-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Anyone find anything on state prisons yet??

GaPeach352002
04-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Ok so I'm desperate for information regarding the Federal system but why do they have to charge so much! The book is $59.95 for fewer than 10 copies... then it goes down to $49.95 for 10 or more copies and only $29.95 for an inmate to order. Does anyone else what a copy? Maybe we could pull together and get a bigger discount?

kali
04-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Thats why we have groups like this, so we can help each other out. Don't buy the book unless you have the money to burn, and even then, I can think of a few prisoners that would like the receive the Razor Wire that dont have any money so...I know what you mean by wanting info, seems like you can never get enough...What do you need? I can send you all the stuff on Fed prisons that iin the book. Are you looking at specific ones, let me know so I can help out. Keep your money.
Kali

David
04-12-2002, 09:59 AM
I think we can answer any question you might have, or find the info for you. :)

David

kali
04-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Hey Digger, another book you may want to read before you go is "How to survive federal prison camp, a guidebook for those caught up in the system" By Clive Sharp. It was published in 1997 so it is a bit out dated but I thought it was a bit helpful. I ordered it from my local library.
Kali

CARLAxoxoxTODD
05-13-2002, 04:33 AM
I was thinking of buying Alan Ellis' book. My fiance is at FCI Lompoc and would love info on visitation. Also, don't they have a hotel/motel guide for the facilities?

If u can post some info re: Lompoc, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Carla

kali
05-13-2002, 08:09 AM
I can type some info, or better yet I can try scanning, potherwise I can xerox a page and snail mail it to you...unless you have money to toss away...kali

loosielucy
09-03-2002, 03:25 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is my first time in this forum .....if I may I;d like to ask first of all Why is it that a book must be sent ny the publisher or by the bookstore to a prisoner? Then is there anyway around this....a friend bought a book for my son who is in prison and sent it to him.....she had put my address as the return address....well the book was returned to me stating the above reasons...The book ....titlrd "SELF MATTERS" by Phillip C.McGraw,Ph.D. is a self help book that I feel would truly help my son find some of the answers he needs to start to heal inside....Is there any way I can get the book to him ,,,,,,,any suggestions will be deeply appreciated.....Thank You and God Bless.....

KConnor56
09-03-2002, 10:08 AM
One of the main reasons they want the books to come from a business, is because they are concerned with the ease of smuggling in of certain drugs. There also is some concern of coded messages being sent also. And never forget the main reason prison officials do what they do, "BECAUSE THEY CAN"!!!!!!!!!----------KEN

KConnor56
09-03-2002, 10:11 AM
There are ways around this, but they can be complicate, & are usually illegal, & I don't want to use this site to tell people how to break the law or to violate prison laws, or rules.

loosielucy
09-04-2002, 01:47 PM
KConner56,

Your right, and i apologize to you and everyone....I wouldn't want you or anybody to do anything of the sorts.....I thought perhaps someone could suggest contacting someone or that there might be another way to give a book to him...heck i don't know....I guess I could go buy another book and simply have the book store send it...right?

Once more I apologize...

God Bless,,,,,,

KConnor56
09-05-2002, 08:16 AM
Lucy,

No appology is necessary, you did nothing wrong. I only made that post so that everyone would understand that there is no way to get a book to a prisoner in Calif st. prison unles it comes from a publisher, or book store, & to try & get aound that regulation may end up causing more problems than were intended. Also being that I had mentioned that there were ways to do it, I felt I should also mention that those ways are illegal, or at least against the rules, so that was why I wasn't going to mention them here on this site. I was in no way implying that you did, or were planning on doing anything wrong. You just asked a question, & I answered it, but I should have explained myself better. -------Ken

aelaw1
05-21-2005, 11:21 PM
alan ellis' 2005 federal prison gidebook will be out mid-year-info on 2002 edition can be found on his website.e-mail address removed as per PTO policy -a (http://www.-a/) significant pre-publication discount will be offered- inmate copies are still $29.95 if ordered directly by the inmate - the pre-publication discount will come off of the $29.95 - affordable for most