View Full Version : SVSP Marriage Procedure/Q&A - Post Here

Andrea01
03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Well ladies, I will be getting married. We don't have a date yet but we've made progress. After several attempts at trying to get the packet and being told by one person or another to go through the counselor, go through the chaplin and no anwsers. Well finally I was able to talk to a Chaplin named Mr. Moon. And my baby finally received the packet :dance: So now its a matter of filling out the paper work and sending it back with all the info and of course fees. Well its not a ceremony that women dream about but it sure is a love far beyond my wildest.

Tina_J
03-28-2006, 08:14 AM
Congratulations!! My baby got the marriage package a while ago but now we have to wait and don´t know when we can actually get married. Let us know how it goes. I keep my fingers crossed:)

scca
03-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey girl congrats!!!! I saw a couple getting married on Saturday at CTF North? She was stressing out because no one could find the Chaplin. I would have been freaking out. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly…..
Megan

NIKKIWHIT70
03-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Congratulations and best wishes!:)

TheGeneralsWife
03-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Mr Moon, is really great and Stanley Reed the guy who marries you is a real stand up guy, a bit of a crack up but real nice. He is also the clerk so you don't have to worry about anything. I got married at SVSP and well it was a day that I will never forget! Congratulations, let us know when you get a date!

Tillthen
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Congratulations,
Wishing you a new life of much love and happiness together. May God bless your marriage and keep you both strong for whatever comes your way

NENAZ
03-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Andrea,
Congradulations Lady! Wishing you and your Man lot's of Love and Happiness. May GOD continue to bless you both.
Nenaz
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_4_25.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_4_26.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_4_27.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_4_28.gif

momof1angel
04-10-2006, 08:10 AM
COngrads Andrea on getting married. Let us know how it goes. May God Bless you and your love one..

Eternal Hope
04-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Andrea, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! May you both have the very best!!! :)

HisBabyMomma
05-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know how long SVSP is taking to schedule weddings from the time they receive the marriage packets? I'm sending mine in this week and don't know how to plan it all...money, the trip...I have a call into his counselor, but who knows when I'll get a call back...

StephlvsKuddy
05-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Last I heard it was up to 6 months :eek: I sent my application March 14th and have not gotten an approval yet.

HisBabyMomma
05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
The papers state that within 7 days of receiving the request for marriage, the counselor will notify the inmate via memo that the inmate is free to marry. They have to check to make sure he's not married still anywhere else! If they are taking so long, how do you plan the trip? I put a call into the counselor, but I haven't gotten a return call yet...

juciie2
06-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Wht is the process tht u have to go thru when gettin married?? How much does it cost?? how long does it take??

Also i wanted to kno wht the process is like to get approved for family visits???

desnvic
06-04-2009, 01:55 AM
THE MARRIAGE PROCESS IS KIND OF HARD AND TIME COMSUMING.IT COSTS SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO 200 DOLLARS.THE FAMILY VISITING PROCESS ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU ARE I THINK I HAVE BEEN MARRIED ALMOST A YEAR AND THEY STILL WONT APPROVE ME FOR MY FAMILY VISITS.so good luck

HisBabyMomma
06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Wht is the process tht u have to go thru when gettin married?? How much does it cost?? how long does it take??

Also i wanted to kno wht the process is like to get approved for family visits???

I sent you a PM with all the info...

StephlvsKuddy
06-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know the marriage coordinator's ext.??? The counselors are impossible to get in contact with so I wanted to try them.

HisBabyMomma
06-07-2009, 03:17 PM
The marriage coordinator called me the other day cause I got an old application and the instructions didn't say to send a notorized copy of my DL :mad:, so he said he sent it back to me so I can send it back with the notary, and I asked him how long it will take to get an approval cause I know they have alot of applications. He said that once he receives my packet, we will have an approval within 30 days. :D And when we get the approval, he will call me directly to schedule the date. And they usually schedule the wedding for sometime in the same month! :D
He didn't give me a direct extension, I don't have his number on me, but I would call the prison, 831-678-5500, and when the recording comes on press 0 or just wait for someone to come on the line, and ask for the marriage coordinator. When I get to my office tomorrow, I will post the number.

KLINUS
06-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Maybe when you post the ext number, the moderator could add it to the sticky guide to the prison.:idea:

PTO-79211
06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes...that is exactly what can be done :thumbsup:

Maybe when you post the ext number, the moderator could add it to the sticky guide to the prison.:idea:

HisBabyMomma
06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
The Marriage Coordinator for SVSP is Mr. Jim Bonifield...His number is 831-678-5540. He is on vacation right now until the 12th. Any questions with your apps, give him a call. He is really nice and doesn't mind answering your questions....

PTO-79211
06-12-2009, 12:03 AM
The marriage coordinator's number is now in the SVSP Information Guide Sticky :thumbsup:

juciie2
06-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I was wonderin if i culd get some info on wht the process is like and wht all u need to get married???

onesweetie
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Here is a thread started by HisBabyMomma. You should be able to find some answers here. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419110
If you need more specific information you can call the counselor. I was married at Calipat SP many years ago. The first step: my hubby needed to talk to the counselor to obtain a marriage packet.

HisBabyMomma
07-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Onesweetie, you are right. The first step for anyone is to get the packet from their counselor, at any prison, at least in CA. If there are questions, the inmate can ask the counselor and they can answer the questions. Once you have submitted your packet and it's being reviewed, find out who the marriage counselor is for that prison and call them with any questions.

foREVerbobbyv
07-30-2009, 08:52 PM
does anyone know what the wait time is for them to process a marriage packet? my man's celly turned his in and it was processed in two months. :confused:

onesweetie
07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
You can call the marriage coordinator and see if he will give you a time frame.
831-678-5540

Lory323
11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi ladies:)
I need information on weddings at salinas hopefully someone can help me. I received the package today. From what I read the only personal information that I need to sent is a copy of my Id. Is that correct? Does it have to be a certified copy? How often do they provide the weddings? Can you have guest? Do I have to mail them the money for the license once we are approved or do I have to take it that day? The information on the papers is not clear. I really hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

desnvic
11-05-2009, 12:29 AM
[
lory,
i was married over a year ago at salinas and when i was goiing through the paper work it said i had to mail oin the money.i know that you also need to send in the original of your birth certificate.they do weddings every weekend from what i was told. as soon as your approved i would send everything in. you are allowed to have a witness and so is he. make sure that when you are having your ceremony that the officer taking your pictures allows all your witness to be in the photo. they didnt allow this for my wedding pic and i found out later by the visiting sergent that it was allowed. also make sure that your guest is an approved visitor with a current photo id. have any more questions feel free to ask me.

quote=Lory323;5032871]Hi ladies:)
I need information on weddings at salinas hopefully someone can help me. I received the package today. From what I read the only personal information that I need to sent is a copy of my Id. Is that correct? Does it have to be a certified copy? How often do they provide the weddings? Can you have guest? Do I have to mail them the money for the license once we are approved or do I have to take it that day? The information on the papers is not clear. I really hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Lory323
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Thank you desnvic. How long does it take to get approved and to get a date?

desnvic
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
It took me like 8 months. But it shouldnt take more then 45 day i think.

foREVerbobbyv
12-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Gettin married to the love of my life SOON. Any advice or info I need to know before the big day? Wish me luck!:p

foREVerbobbyv
12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Does anyone know how long SVSP is taking to schedule weddings from the time they receive the marriage packets? I'm sending mine in this week and don't know how to plan it all...money, the trip...I have a call into his counselor, but who knows when I'll get a call back...
I turned in all my paperwork the 2nd week of September and I got a call from the wedding coordinator on 11/21/09 with our wedding date of 12/13/09! I know it is $100 ( money order only ) sent to the chaplain's address which he will give you then you need a $75 money order THE DAY OF the wedding which is for the County Clerk for the marriage license. Basically, all I needed to pay for was my plane ticket and an outfit for our day. I dont know if there is anything else that I might have left out.

Lory323
12-02-2009, 11:35 PM
congratulations!
I send my package a month ago and I still havent got a response. I can't wait.
Once again congratulations, I wish you guys a marriage full of love and happiness.

foREVerbobbyv
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
congratulations!
I send my package a month ago and I still havent got a response. I can't wait.
Once again congratulations, I wish you guys a marriage full of love and happiness.

I know it seems like forever for you to hear back from them but after me and my man stressed about it for the first few weeks, we realized NOT to worry about it and let it all happen on its own. And that is exactly what happened. I stopped waiting by the mailbox/phone and kept myself busy and when I least expected it, I got THE phone call from the marriage coordinator. So, I guess what I am trying to say is HAVE FAITH, BE PATIENT and BELIEVE and you will get your date and it will happen when you least expect it. Congrats on your upcoming marriage too!!!!! :p

Lory323
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Thank you foreverbobbyv. That's wut I'm trying to do. Not stress about it because I don't see any reason why they wouldnt approve us. When I read how long it took you guys to get approve made me feel better because were halfway their. I can't wait to be able to have family visits so me and our girls could spend time with him alone. What comes out on the caller Id when the coordinator calls? Because I dont really answer 800 or unknown calls.

foREVerbobbyv
12-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Thank you foreverbobbyv. That's wut I'm trying to do. Not stress about it because I don't see any reason why they wouldnt approve us. When I read how long it took you guys to get approve made me feel better because were halfway their. I can't wait to be able to have family visits so me and our girls could spend time with him alone. What comes out on the caller Id when the coordinator calls? Because I dont really answer 800 or unknown calls.

He JUST called me yesterday and the Caller ID said State of CA and the number he called from or will call from is always a 831 area code. He called me from 831-678-2267. I am flying out tonight from Daygo. I will be visiting my baby all day tomorrow then our wedding is on Sunday. Good luck girlie. :D

juciie2
12-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Cn anyone help me out.. My bf has the marriage package nd just needs to fill it out but cn anyone tell me wht all im gnna need to do as far as wht i hve to buy nd how much it all costs...

Crystal_Oscar
03-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Well ladies, I will be getting married. We don't have a date yet but we've made progress. After several attempts at trying to get the packet and being told by one person or another to go through the counselor, go through the chaplin and no anwsers. Well finally I was able to talk to a Chaplin named Mr. Moon. And my baby finally received the packet :dance: So now its a matter of filling out the paper work and sending it back with all the info and of course fees. Well its not a ceremony that women dream about but it sure is a love far beyond my wildest.

how did u get the package n where exactley is he at... Im trying to get the process started but dnt know where to ask...

Crystal_Oscar
03-27-2010, 10:32 PM
If u can email me on how to go about eveything id appreciate it.. (email addy removed per PTO policy)

light at end
03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Since this post is from 2006 I don't think she will be getting back to you. Have you checked out the Q&A forum for getting married at SVSP? You should be able to find some more current info there. Good luck.

ReenBee14
04-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Okay so I have the package that my love sent me. I haven't sent it yet because it states that I need to send it with a DL or ID notarize and my birth certificate. Do anyone know if I have to send my original birth certificate ? And plus when do i have to send the money and all that suff. I am so confused and not sure what to do. I need some help please..

desnvic
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
reenbee pm me with any questions u may have i was married at svsp in 2008. i can maybe answer these for u.

richieslady
04-25-2010, 02:33 AM
My man & me have been tri 2 get marriag pack & r having a hard time getting it i have called myself can anyone help us im really stressing i been in love w\him 24 yrs im so happy !

richieslady
05-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Well i maild the wedding packet in on may 24 i cant beleave were finely getting married i b thinking its 2 good 2 b true i hope it dont take long

Lory323
05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Congratulations paya!!!
I sent my marriage package in November and we still don't have a date yet. I called to months ago and the marrieage corrdinator said that we are approved but there's a waiting list and that there's 15 couples ahead of us. He said he will call me and it will probably take to more months. Those two months passed and still haven't heard anything. I know with others it didn't take this long so good luck n I wish u the best. Hope yours goes faster

ReenBee14
06-05-2010, 12:44 AM
I Sent my marriage package on the 29th of May. Lets see how long it take for me...I can't wait to finally be his... wish me good luck... And I wish all the ladyz out there that are on the same boat as me good luck

richieslady
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Well it was 24 years ago he came over my sisters pad with mikio & i seen that fine ass we were kicking it partying & talking & started ki

DangerzGirl
07-18-2010, 02:39 AM
Does anyone here know if you actually exchange rings or if you just give him one? Or how that works? Because I filled out the packet and mailed it in but it wasn't clear to me.
Thanks

joyofmylife
07-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes u can exchange rings.

TASTEtheREDBONE
07-28-2010, 11:49 AM
i was suppose to get married at KVSP but hes moving and i want to get right on it wen he gets to salinas. am i going to have to wait a certain amount of time before we can request to get married. i kno at kern valley from the day you send n ur packet it shud take about 3 months. how long does it take at this prison and how would he go about getting the packet? and then the rest of the whole process would be nice to if somebody can tell me about it

LMR08
07-30-2010, 02:32 AM
hey...frm...wat...i.knw...it.takes...up...to..two. ..to.three...months....for...you..to..get...an..an swer..frm..thm..my..hubby..is..in..there...in..im. waitin...to..get...approved....frm...words...in..t here...we..wont..hear..nthn..until..dec....im.hope n..and..prayin..that..its..sooner...than..later... anyway...god...bless...

Me&MyPooh
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I Sent my marriage package on the 29th of May. Lets see how long it take for me...I can't wait to finally be his... wish me good luck... And I wish all the ladyz out there that are on the same boat as me good luck

I am new to Salinas and I am sending my marriage package today....I don't know about you but the questioning was very awkward...I was wondering if I got the correct paperwork. It consist of 5 pages...with questions like does he invite you to go to church with him and prior to entering to prison did you both live as husband and wife. If possible can you let me know if that is the same paperwork you've got. I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Martha

lily_14
08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Hey doll!!! so ok here is some feedback on my side... my bf had send me a marriage app. when he was in calipatria and he also send me one when he was in Kern valley and neither of these two apps. asked questions like that...lol. now that i think about it though if i dont recall wrong each app was a lil different.. so my conclusion is that maybe the questions they ask pretty much will vary depending on the prison they are in?:confused:idk if that is true but hopefully one of the girls that has gone through this process in salinas can give us some feedback on this...
im also interested in knowing since my bf should be sending me the 3rd marriage app. soon...lol. its so funny everytime he would send it to me they would move him from priso so couldnt proceed with the process...lol.:D

I am new to Salinas and I am sending my marriage package today....I don't know about you but the questioning was very awkward...I was wondering if I got the correct paperwork. It consist of 5 pages...with questions like does he invite you to go to church with him and prior to entering to prison did you both live as husband and wife. If possible can you let me know if that is the same paperwork you've got. I would appreciate it.
Thanks.
Martha

PINKDAISY
08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Hello ladies, I mailed in my packet on 7/23 and am currently in the process of being approved. I spoke to Mr. Bonifield yesterday and the packet was already in hands of the counselor. I called the counselor today and he had already signed and sent the packet out to the next person who reviews/approves it. Now this would be my third time submitting packets, getting approved, and paying the required fees. The first time was 3 years ago in Centinela state prison. And the second being at svsp. The packets are totally different. And yes odd questions I must say. However, we did grow up together in church..lol.. Some facilities require certain documents that others don't. And with Svsp it's a plus, the less the beter. The last time I was approved I submitted the forms in June and had a wedding date in august. ofcourse they were on lockdown so we had to reschedule again, and again. Till nov 2nd came... I had an unexpected family emergency and never made it... (Sigh) That was quick tho.. things are moving quick so far.. I so hope it continues that way.

Me&MyPooh
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you PinkDaisy and Lily14 for your input it was really helpful.....I mailed out my marriage application along with my originals birth cert. and ID on 8/5 and I will follow up with Mr. Bonifield next week hopefully he received my paperwork and the process goes smooth....I also had a weeding date for in Kern Valley for June 11th but because of the lockdowns it was rescheduled for Aug. 20th but my baby got transferred to Salinas...so here we go again. Best Wishes Ladies and like I said I am new to this blog thing...so it takes me a bit longer to figure it out....lol.
MeandMyPooh

PINKDAISY
08-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you PinkDaisy and Lily14 for your input it was really helpful.....I mailed out my marriage application along with my originals birth cert. and ID on 8/5 and I will follow up with Mr. Bonifield next week hopefully he received my paperwork and the process goes smooth....I also had a weeding date for in Kern Valley for June 11th but because of the lockdowns it was rescheduled for Aug. 20th but my baby got transferred to Salinas...so here we go again. Best Wishes Ladies and like I said I am new to this blog thing...so it takes me a bit longer to figure it out....lol.
MeandMyPooh

Np, me&mypooh.. anytime. Yes, stay on top of "MC"... If you have any questions let me know... I might not know all the answers but I can def. find out. :D

PINKDAISY
08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
So I have been trying to get in contact with Mr. Bonifield for 2 weeks now.:angry: I left messages and no luck. long story short... I was told by the wardens assistant this is Mr. Bonifields last week. If I heard correctly Chaplain Young will be temporarily filling the Marriage Coordinator's position. YAY! Who better than Chaplain Young. He can be reached at (831) 678-5500 ext: 6177

I spoke to him today.. very friendly!!

ReenBee14
09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Dang I sent mine back in May and I still have heard or rcvd anything back... Thats really crazy...

Lina74
09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
I sent mine back in April 29:mad: Like you said real crazy...Keep me posted if you hear anything.

PINKDAISY
09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Dang I sent mine back in May and I still have heard or rcvd anything back... Thats really crazy...

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL... ACCORDING TO THE CHAPLAIN ALL MARRIAGES ARE ON HOLD UNTIL THEY GET A MARRIAGE COORDINATOR... BUT ACCORDING TO THE WARDENS ASSISTANT.. HE IS THE COORDINATOR. :confused: I DO KNOW WE ARE APPROVED AND ARE ON THE WAITING LIST ...TILL WHO KNOWS WHEN.

ReenBee14
10-25-2010, 02:17 AM
So has anyone heard anything ? I try to call, but its like i'm not going anywhere and just keep going in circles .... Well if you get any info let me know..Thanks

andrewsgirl4
11-06-2010, 11:59 PM
I talked to the Chaplin on Wednesday and he said they haven't hired a marriage coordinator and do not plan on hiring another one for 5 more months!!!! WTF????? Cut backs is the reason.. UGH!!! Now, I think we should start flooding them with phone calls and complaints. I mean couples have been waiting for months now and the paperwork is just piling up. That's just for approvals.. Imagine how many have been approved and yet nothing is getting done :( He said it might take up to a year after they hire someone for us to get married and we are barely starting the paperwork :( Not good at all.

dylan's mommie
11-07-2010, 08:09 AM
I talked to the Chaplin on Wednesday and he said they haven't hired a marriage coordinator and do not plan on hiring another one for 5 more months!!!! WTF????? Cut backs is the reason.. UGH!!! Now, I think we should start flooding them with phone calls and complaints. I mean couples have been waiting for months now and the paperwork is just piling up. That's just for approvals.. Imagine how many have been approved and yet nothing is getting done :( He said it might take up to a year after they hire someone for us to get married and we are barely starting the paperwork :( Not good at all.

I am sorry to hear that, so crappy!!