View Full Version : Martin Correctional on Lock Down for killing

msprettyeyes
05-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Has anyone heard of any killing of an inmate at Martin Correctional... I am very worried about my man.... .The CO's are not giving any information over the phone. Only saying that if you dont receive a phone call from the chaplain then he is ok..... Very Comforting :mad:....As if they really care.... Please anyone with any information let me know....

nightbird
05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Inmate stabbed to death at Indiantown state prison

By Melissa E. Holsman (http://www.tcpalm.com/staff/melissa-holsman/) (Contact (http://www.tcpalm.com/staff/melissa-holsman/contact/))
Originally published 06:20 p.m., May 11, 2009
Updated 06:20 p.m., May 11, 2009

INDIANTOWN — An inmate was stabbed to death Monday while at the recreational yard of the Martin Correctional Institution in Indiantown, state prison officials confirmed.
Florida Department of Corrections spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said the identity of the deceased inmate had not been released late Monday pending notification of family.

Link to entire story here: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/news/indian-river-county/
http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=ae513d48-3e8e-11de-894e-87abab60f6a0&T=19bartm71%2fX%3d1242089339%2fE%3d2022776582%2fR% 3dncnwssr%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d8.1%2fW%3d0%2fY%3dPARTNER_ US%2fF%3d1995301659%2fH%3dYWx0c3BpZD0iOTY3MjgzMTc5 IiBzZXJ2ZUlkPSJhZTUxM2Q0OC0zZThlLTExZGUtODk0ZS04N2 FiYWI2MGY2YTAiIHNpdGVJZD0iODQwMDUxIiB0U3RtcD0iMTI0 MjA4OTMzOTg1MjcxNCIgdGFyZ2V0PSJfdG9wIiA-%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3dE38D0D4C&U=129qiofka%2fN%3dQ6XVAEwNjZI-%2fC%3d-1%2fD%3dAP116%2fB%3d-1%2fV%3d0

alittlefreedom
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Please, if anyone knows more about this PM me. I haven't heard from my guy in a week.

Sara75
05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Inmate killed was my friend. Last name Amador.

nightbird
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
We called the prison to see if they will be able to make phone calls tonite and were told they were still on lockdown and didn't know when they would be able to call out. Also the fires are not near them....

alittlefreedom
05-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Inmate killed was my friend. Last name Amador.

Oh Sara, I am so sorry. :grouphug:

msprettyeyes
05-13-2009, 06:31 AM
It is so sad to hear that an inmate had to die while already being confined to the prison system.... Nobody caught, and pretty much nobody cares.... What a troubled world we live in... And because of someone elses bad choices all the other inmates must now suffer....I pray not only for the deceased inmates family, but also for the other inmates who are trying their hardest to come out alive and their families as well... It is an everyday struggle.... Right now I havent spoken to my fiance in 3 days because of this.....Its not right.... And im sure this man lost his life over absolute foolishness....

Sara75
05-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you. Everything seems very difficult for me right now. I am consumed by sadness - even breathing hurts.

Oh Sara, I am so sorry. :grouphug:

Sara75
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
On Monday, 5/11, a very special friend of mine was stabbed at the recreation area at Martin Correctional. He was airlifted to the nearest hospital and died. :cry: I need to know what happened. If any of you have a friend, BF, husband or family member there and can give me some info I would be eternally grateful. Not knowing is killing me. Please help me.:(

nightbird
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
They are on lockdown so no one has any contact with anyone in Martin at this time!

nightbird
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Has anyone heard anything, its been 4 days now they are locked down!!!

msprettyeyes
05-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey Nightbird.... I called today.... they are still on lockdown, and they say they dont know when they will be off.... They say they dont even know if there will be visitation and for me to call back tomorrow evening, or saturday morning before i decide to come up.

msprettyeyes
05-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey everyone..... I talked to my baby tonight... They were allowed to make a phone call.....He told me he is not sure when they will be allowed to call back, but they let them call to let us know they were alright.... I am so happy to know that my baby is alright....He also doesnt know if they will have visitation this weekend... I hope they do, I miss him so much...

nightbird
05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
My husband called and was allowed to talk for two minutes, they were letting everyone have a 2 minute call and get showers..

msprettyeyes
05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
As of tonight they are off lockdown... They will be having visitation this weekend.... Im so happy....

pfingaz
05-16-2009, 01:23 PM
martin CI is a wild camp... my prayers with the family

tweedybird
05-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I got a letter yesterday from a penpal there. he said a guy was stabbed and airlifted out and a week later the guy who did it was murdered. He said the whole place went on lockdown. He said it was very hot in the place and that they had welded the chuckholes closed at some point. (??) Then they had a fire! He said it was hard to breathe with the smoke, and lack of circulation. This is Martin CI.

chuckiesmom
05-19-2009, 07:49 PM
He told me of the fights, I also saw Martin Ci on the oralndo TV news about officers taking their child to work day and 40 kids got tazared If officers are that mean to theire kids, I cant imagine how they treat those I love and care about,

msprettyeyes
05-19-2009, 08:09 PM
As of today they are of lockdown.... They are still not allowed to go outside, but they can come out of their cells and watch tv, and make phone calls....Its a shame, that some one has to die while already being confined behind walls.... Isnt that punishment enough???

tweedybird
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm wondering based on what I am reading here if two inmates died? One that was airlifted out and then the other one who supposedly tried to kill the first guy, was killed on the prison grounds. My penpal said homicide detections and "pigeons" ?? were everywhere. I guess the fire was in the area not the prison?

karebear37766
05-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I am not sure how this works first time here My husband is at Martin CI and the man I am pretty sure was named Jose As of today 5-20-09 they are still in lockdown. YOu can keep my email I visit every weekend and do my best to stay on top of all events my email is ***Removed per policy*** email me anytime and I will help when I can. They now get phone at least one family got a full 15 min call yesterday but like I said lock down is still on. Hope this helps you a llittle also know that I am not certain of the name it was an email I got from another wife so it is RUMOR. Sorry. Has anyone heard of any killing of an inmate at Martin Correctional... I am very worried about my man.... .The CO's are not giving any information over the phone. Only saying that if you dont receive a phone call from the chaplain then he is ok..... Very Comforting :mad:....As if they really care.... Please anyone with any information let me know....

karebear37766
05-20-2009, 07:53 AM
My husband is at martin and I visit every weekend TO clear this up they did weld the chuck holes to prevent Inmates from tossing stuff into cells was the reason which was not good because NOT all inmates use it like that. As for the inmate airlifted this happen on Sunday as visitors we watched the air lift.
The NEXT morning ON the rec field around 930am the inmate was stabbed. and lock down started. The inmates only got two mins of phone time on friday the 15th then yesterday they got full phone as of 830am this morning they are still in lock down. NO FIRE at Martin just the surrounding area. On
this past weekend visits were permitted. We all wish the lock down would end as I have been told it is hard on everyone.

karebear37766
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
The officer did not just tazzer a child they had the kids get in a circle and hold hands with officers and quickly tazzored the officer which placed a tiny poke among the circle. This got blown way out and people lost their jobs in a time when we could use them and their families depended on them. I am an inmates wife not an officer but even I can see that this was crazy. I do not recall reading not one report of the child injury any medical the children received. I feel the officers were merely showing the children a procedure. I honestly do not see them shocking little kids. What DID upset was they would take many jobs over this harmless thing and yet when an officer plays part in the DEATH of an inmate he is only demoted that should be our concern. He told me of the fights, I also saw Martin Ci on the oralndo TV news about officers taking their child to work day and 40 kids got tazared If officers are that mean to theire kids, I cant imagine how they treat those I love and care about,

chuckiesmom
05-22-2009, 06:16 AM
My son is at Martin CI as well, he's 22 and been down 5 yrs. He's in the box right now, he said the Inspecter General, Martia VillaCorta the Regional director and some others were there investigating the incident. He said the guy was flown out by helicopter. But thats about all I know. Take care I hope your man is ok.

Register
05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I haven't been on here in a while. I got a call last night from my boyfriend who is at Martin. The call was quick and he was trying to tell me what went on. He didn't make a whole lot of sense. He said someone was stabbed and killed(as most everyone knows now) and then there was another death later in the week. He has been down for 15 years and I have NEVER seen anything get to him like this has. He lost his cool and has been sent to the box for 60 days. I told him I didn't understand why they were letting him call if he was in the box and he said he didn't know either, that they just asked him and he said he took advantage of it. That right there makes it sound like mass confussion down there to me. He said the whole compound was still on lock down.

I don't know about visiting. I only visit a couple of times a year.

I feel for the friends and families of the ones that are gone. There is just no excuse for any of it. My boyfriend has been to several institutions since he has been locked up and says Martin is the most dangerous of all. I don't mean to upset anyone. I worry about him constantly. He's not a spring chicken anymore. The only thing I know to do for him is pray for him and those around him.

I wish everyone well and let me know if you hear any more news.

chuckiesmom, I just noticed your post. My boyfriend has seen VillaCorta on the compound. He says it always makes him laugh, because those employees jump when she is there. I don't mean that in a bad way. She is one tough cookie. I wish somehow she could do more.

nightbird
05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Are they for sure off lockdown???

tweedybird
05-25-2009, 09:06 PM
My penpal talked about Villa Corta also.

MrsPulga
06-12-2009, 11:56 AM
does anyone know who was the inmate who was stabbed before the killing? My husband was at Martin in 2006 and it was not bad at all!!!

tweedybird
06-27-2009, 08:37 AM
My penpal also told me his toilet was continuously flushing for about two weeks before they got a plumber to take care of it! Imagine the added water bill!

Deusmortis
06-27-2009, 09:15 PM
My penpal also told me his toilet was continuously flushing for about two weeks before they got a plumber to take care of it! Imagine the added water bill!

Heh, I had something like that happen to me when I was in the box, but it only lasted for 3 days. They never did get the plumber, but someone else's toiled flooded, so they shut the water off. My toilet worked fine after the water came back on.