View Full Version : Question about the new law for MET?

Texas&Miss
05-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Hi! Everyone,
My fiancee is in DCF and he told me that they put up the memo about All Inmates being able to partcipate in MET, but he didn't know if it was for inmates with mandatory time. So do anyone know if the new law for MET is also for inmates with mandatory time?:confused:

Thanks

Mrs.Glamma
05-07-2009, 12:36 PM
This is the info I got from the MDOC website. Hope this helps.

http://www.mdoc.state.ms.us/Frequently%20asked%20questions.htm#Who_is_not_elig ible_for_MET_or_the_15%_earned_time_allowance

waysgirl
05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
That info has not been updated and is not correct!! Talked to state rep who is also a lawyer EVERYONE is able to recive MET TIME up to 10 days a month and there is no limit on it now this was just past..

Texas&Miss
05-09-2009, 03:58 PM
That info has not been updated and is not correct!! Talked to state rep who is also a lawyer EVERYONE is able to recive MET TIME up to 10 days a month and there is no limit on it now this was just past..

Thank you so much!! This just put a big smile across my face to know my fiancee have a chance to come home early!!!! Thank you, Thank you ,Thank you!!!:D

Fae
05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Are you saying that everyone, including those with mandatory sentences, sex offenses, etc. may receive the met off their sentences? Can you tell us where to go to actually read this new law and when was it passed?

msearp99
05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Fae,
the recent bill passed about MET has info found here:
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2009/pdf/history/SB/SB2039.xml

The bill reads as below --- IT was signed about March 10, 2009
Senate Bill 2039

(As Sent to Governor)

AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 47-5-142, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REMOVE THE CAP ON NUMBER OF DAYS THAT MAY BE AWARDED UNDER THE MERITORIOUS EARNED TIME PROGRAM; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 47-5-142, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
47-5-142. (1) In order to provide incentive for offenders to achieve positive and worthwhile accomplishments for their personal benefit or the benefit of others, and in addition to any other administrative reductions of the length of an offender's sentence, any offender shall be eligible, subject to the provisions of this section, to receive meritorious earned time as distinguished from earned time for good conduct and performance.
(2) Subject to approval by the commissioner of the terms and conditions of the program or project, meritorious earned time may be awarded for the following: (a) successful completion of educational or instructional programs; (b) satisfactory participation in work projects; and (c) satisfactory participation in any special incentive program.
(3) The programs and activities through which meritorious earned time may be received shall be published in writing and posted in conspicuous places at all facilities of the department and such publication shall be made available to all offenders in the custody of the department.
(4) The commissioner shall make a determination of the number of days of reduction of sentence which may be awarded an offender as meritorious earned time for participation in approved programs or projects; the number of days shall be determined by the commissioner on the basis of each particular program or project. * * *
(5) No offender shall be awarded any meritorious earned time while assigned to the maximum security facilities for disciplinary purposes.
(6) All meritorious earned time shall be forfeited by the offender in the event of escape and/or aiding and abetting an escape.
(7) Any officer or employee of the department who shall willfully violate the provisions of this section and be convicted therefor shall be removed from office or employment.
(8) An offender may forfeit all or any part of his meritorious earned time allowance for just cause upon the written order of the commissioner or his designee. Any meritorious earned time allowance forfeited under this section shall not be restored nor shall it be re-earned by the offender.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.
---
---

THE MDOC site states the following:
What is Meritorious Earned Time (MET)?
Meritorious Earned Time (MET) is a up to 10 day reduction in sentence for every 30 days of successful participation in an educational, vocational or treatment program. Inmates are not eligible for MET for participation in a program if the inmate is already receiving trusty time for that program.

Who is not eligible for MET or the 15% earned time allowance?
An inmate is not eligible to receive the earned time allowance if:
· Sentenced to life in prison
· Convicted as a habitual offender.
· Convicted of a sex crime
· Convicted of armed robbery or attempted armed robbery, armed carjacking

What do the different dates mean on an inmate’s timesheet?
Maximum Discharge date is the date an offender will have served the entire length of his sentence.
Tentative Discharge date is the Maximum Discharge date minus any Trusty Time or Meritorious Earned Time.
Earned Release Supervision (ERS) date is the Maximum Discharge Date minus the 15% earned time allowance, trusty time and meritorious earned time.

----

MY suggestion : your loved one should request a TIME COMPUTATION SHEET soon, keep an copy ( If possible) and mail it out to you, in case something gets changed.

Does the bill above answer your questions??

msearp99
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Do you mind sharing what STATE rep you spoke with and was it about SB 2036 signed in March?

thanks!

Fae
05-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew that was not true...just wishful thinking on my part. However laws can and do change so I'll just keep praying...will never give up hope.

msearp99
05-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Just keep the faith, watch, read and listen-
if you find other states who have verbage in legislation to help your loved ones, let us know, we can research and see what can be propose to our Mississippi Leaders for support!

waysgirl
06-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Jeff Smith... Let me find out when is was signed im not sure i will copy and paste it here.. I dont think that MDOC has updated theres to this new law