View Full Version : debate on inmates having to pay to stay

nithtmare
04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I saw on headline news that Va is proposing Va. inmates pay $1.00 per day for their keep. Now if they don't have a job, no money or resourses, who do you think will have to FOOT the bill. We need to speak up people. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm already stretched like "old time taffy ". Another 30.00 a month will be really hard to pay. I already pay state tax. It's like taxing me twice.:angry: :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::blah::angry::b lah::angry:

Bill would raise cap on Va. inmates' rent to $5 a day

By John Hopkins
Virginian-Pilot
NORFOLK, Va. — The Chesapeake Correctional Center has raked in more than $735,000 by requiring inmates to pay a $1-a-day fee, and the rent could be about to go up.
The city's jail started charging inmates rent five years ago, automatically deducting dollars from their canteen accounts. The jail has collected $113,486 so far this fiscal year and is on course for a projected $162,291 , said Chief Deputy Jim O'Sullivan of the Chesapeake Sheriff's Office.

http://www.correctionsone.com/corrections/articles/1799970-Bill-would-raise-cap-on-Va-inmates-rent-to-5-a-day/

AJ'sGirl4Life
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I really hope not we already have this as part of the fine from the city jail where he was for almost a year and it was a dollar a day there, I really hope the prisons won't go to this.

nithtmare
04-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Me too. I left a comment on cnn. Don't know if they will use it or not, but with all the fines when he comes out after a long sentence, we will never be able to get caught up.

harasubam
04-14-2009, 05:35 PM
they wont do any thing to pass something to help families or inmates in va. they are too much of a money maker for the state even thouhg we here it cost too much to keep them, we pay for commisary, clothing, all lugsury items like tv and its all at a jacked up price. we pay very high phone and they dont let us save any money on that because they get a cut of the proffit.va made 8 million dollars on phone calls alone last year that was posted on va cure web site not too long ago. and even though they are crying about budgets they will do what they can to keep inmates in federal also gives money to states probably by head count of inmates.

sorry got on a rant .do you know which news and wouldnt they have had to go through legislature like the bill to up the jail charge?

earlsgirl22
04-14-2009, 05:36 PM
that is ridiculous i thought they were in jail to pay for there crimes if they have to pay for there up keep why cant we keep them home and just send the money

harasubam
04-15-2009, 06:25 AM
man wouldnt that be the way to go.

AJ'sGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 08:39 AM
I hear ya I mean with all the high price calls, commissary, personal properties, fines and all that you wanna add another dollar a day wtf??? let's just have them home and we can pay their clothes, food and housing and send you the money for the fines and the dollar a day just let them on out.

nithtmare
04-15-2009, 09:31 AM
It was on cnn.news-Headline news. you can go on cnn news, or Headline news and you may have to search for" prisoners may have to pay." There is also a program on cnn new on Sat and Sun two parts at 8:00 est. about addiction.

harasubam
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
http://www.aca.org/publications/ctarchivespdf/aug03/pnt-counter.pdf

dwfighterva
05-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Hmm, love the second one but not so fond of the first one. Although I do like this one part
Part of our responsibility as corrections professionals is to provide programs in the hope of teaching some basic life skills and providing treatment services where needed to stop the vicious cycle of recidivism.
So then how does charging them for their incarceration help with recidivism?

harasubam
05-06-2009, 05:30 PM
well this is the part that got me

Fees should not be deducted from money sent by
inmates’ families. The families of inmates have not broken
any laws, and it is wrong to take their hard-earned money

someone actually realized that.

dwfighterva
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I saw that, too. Be nice if someone really looked at the affect incarceration has on families financially from the loss of the income and the extra money needed for phone calls and commissary.

nithtmare
05-09-2009, 04:16 PM
if they are going to charge them for their upkeep, then they should give them a job that pays mim wage to take some of the burden off families. My son just got a job, he's making .06 cents a hour 2 hours a day. That's .12 a day and they will take 20% of that and put it in an account until he accumlates 25.00 so he will have MONEY when he gets released. He will make about 3.00 a month. You would think with children they could find and pay mim wage so they could be getting someof the support and the 6000.00 in court fees could also be addressed but that would make since.

Daveswife
05-10-2009, 01:30 AM
When hubby worked at Coffeewood he was making $24 a month. It wasn't much but it was $24 less I had to come up with. WV charges inmates an intake fee of $30 when they are first sent to the regional jails.

cblueiis
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
My man is in rockingham regional jail and any money I send him they take their cut first.......go figure....they put him there...well the judge who must of been having a bad day did....and now I too am getting doubly taxed...where is this justice?

harasubam
07-27-2009, 12:27 PM
so far it is only the jails that do this. we have a hard enough time treading water and keeping a family together in va. do you think everyone would back there guy if it cost them 30.00 a month for the amount of a sentence they get here and then calls visits and commissary. and then why wouldnt the state keep them longer they are getting a hell of a payday for having them

cblueiis
07-27-2009, 10:55 PM
so far it is only the jails that do this. we have a hard enough time treading water and keeping a family together in va. do you think everyone would back there guy if it cost them 30.00 a month for the amount of a sentence they get here and then calls visits and commissary. and then why wouldnt the state keep them longer they are getting a hell of a payday for having them

I agree but it just makes me so damn mad that the state does this!! Of course the state is getting revenue....this commonwealth has an "I'm gonna get mine" philosophy. I know this as I am a state employee. This is just bullshit...:angry:

harasubam
08-02-2009, 03:04 PM
i posted this a while ago thought ide put it back up for our new pto family members

http://www.aca.org/publications/ctarchivespdf/aug03/pnt-counter.pdf

KevsWife7
08-02-2009, 03:27 PM
At our visit today, hubby told me a few things. Even though I've put money on his books(not much), they're taking a portion of it for fines and things(which I'm okay with), and a birth certificate(again, fine, so I don't have to go to Richmond to get it). But they're also taking $25 for a BUS TICKET! They say its 'just in case he needs it'.

HELLO, HE WONT! I'll be picking him up, no matter what! If I send him $25, I want him to USE IT. Not for it to sit around somewhere, 'in case he needs a bus ticket'. Yeah he gets it when he comes home if he doesn't need the ticket.

They just DON'T think!

lovingjoe
08-04-2009, 05:46 AM
I don't understand this I ask Joe if they were taking money out of his commisary and he said no and asked why I told him about cost of living fees and fines ect...maybe each prison dosent do it????does this mean we will have a huge (HOTEL) bill when he gets ready to leave???

harasubam
08-04-2009, 07:52 AM
only at jail level they charge 1.00 per day. if he has had money in his account they have been taking the dollar a day. if he had no money he does owe a bill for his jail stay. and same as fines it reflects on probation. but only if jail reports it, i have seen people not be in jail for a year go back in and not get commissary because they left owing the jail and had to clear that before they got anything. every doc facility also will keep 25.00 to the end of sentence.

dwfighterva
08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
They take the $25 out as soon as they can after going into DOC. They will give it back to them when they leave. You can make arrangements so that the money he earns can go toward fines and court fees. If you can do it, try to have them paid off by the time he gets out. If he loses his license while in, he can't get a new one until the money is paid. Also, they won't let them off probation unless the money is paid. Guess too many people skipped out in the end and didn't pay.

Yes, our justice system is a HUGE money-making machine. Think of all the lawyers, judges, clerks, guards, police, sheriff, and vendors that all service them. Ca-ching!!

missing_cwb
08-14-2009, 06:15 PM
This is why this state is called "THE COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA" MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

harasubam
08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
you bet its a big money maker and partly why our inmates got shafted by judges that give max time. not to punnish criminals but to get all that money from us the people who love those crimminals they dont always diserve the amount of time they get but if you are in va and a polotition for every 5 year sentance you have it rakes in all sorts of money and then doc sends them as far from home as possible so calls and visits are alarming at cost

rukidding
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I saw that, too. Be nice if someone really looked at the affect incarceration has on families financially from the loss of the income and the extra money needed for phone calls and commissary.
There's a lot of lobbying going on around that exact issue. Legislators KNOW that the money will have to come from already over-stressed families, but they don't care. Unfortunately, with the composition of the House right now, letting guys out early is a big NO while charging them for the luxury of incarceration is a big YES. They want to balance the budget on the backs of offenders and their families rather than working toward making them contributing members of society. :angry:

rukidding
08-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Also, they won't let them off probation unless the money is paid. Guess too many people skipped out in the end and didn't pay.
I'm pretty sure that Melvin Johnson's bill to prohibit that practice passed. Am I wrong?

dwfighterva
08-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure that Melvin Johnson's bill to prohibit that practice passed. Am I wrong?
HB 2309 Probationer, supervised; not be kept under probation solely because of failure to make payment. Approved
Kenneth Melvin;Resigned 5/7/09 (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+mbr+H63) | all patrons (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+mbr+HB2309) ... notes (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp507.exe?091+n1a+HB2309) | add (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp508.exe?091+ubk+ONE+HB2309) to my profiles Summary as passed House: (all summaries) (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?091+sum+HB2309S)
Conditions of supervised probation. Provides that no probationer shall be kept under supervised probation solely because of his failure to make full payment of fines, fees, or costs, provided the court and attorney for the Commonwealth do not object to such removal.

You are right! It went into law 7/1/09

rukidding
08-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Oops - got his name wrong - I knew there was a "Melvin" in it somewhere!

Chalk a teeny one up for the good guys ... :p

sherry_42
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
1 dollar a day is nothing. iam in ohio and the county jail its $50.00 a day. i got the bill when my bf was there and its 2,79355 he was there june 20 threw middle of aug. he is now in pa not sure if they charge.Me too. I left a comment on cnn. Don't know if they will use it or not, but with all the fines when he comes out after a long sentence, we will never be able to get caught up.

harasubam
08-17-2009, 10:51 PM
oh my, not sure what to say on that one. law makers know that its really the family of an inmate that pays. but yet we cant claim them on tax. hmmm wouldnt it be better if we were able to put them on our insurance at work, they would get medical that way, and shouldnt we be claiming them on tax they do depend on us. oh well just blowing steam

dwfighterva
08-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Like I keep saying, convicted felons are the new discrimination section of society and anyone attached to them is all part of the money making machine. Sorry, in a bad mood today and this stuff just bites my butt.

nithtmare
08-21-2009, 11:24 AM
It says they can't keep them on probation for fines, but that has to be approved by the court and the commomwealth attorney? A judge that will give 31 years for $400.00 in credit card fraud and entering a unsecured chicken house used for storage and taking something valued by the court at $10.00 and charges him $6000.00 in fines!!!!!! He will never get off of probation. I have lost faith in our justice system. I think a lot of the people putting in these bills add something to compromise their purpose just to get votes. I guess I'm having a bad day today. sorry

dwfighterva
08-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Girl, you are entitled to have a bad day. Heck take tomorrow, too! I say you stay in your jammies all day, make some hot tea or hot chocolate and sit like a slug on the sofa all day watching trashy movies.

:cool:

cblueiis
08-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I just found out that the Swanson company runs the commissary for the jail.......my man was telling me how jacked up the prices are and it is ridiculous. The CO in the visitors room said the jail doesn't have anything to do with it that the company does.......

nithtmare
08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
if Swanson is jacking up the prices on there products, why isn't the system looking for new bids each year to sucure a better price. I know I can't eat the food in the visitors room out of the machines, with the exception of chips, stuff like that, but he thinks he is in a five star restaurant. That $20.00 in change you're allowed to take in goes quick since the prices for food has been increased in the machines.

snowy6140
08-26-2009, 11:32 PM
They can get around the money has to be paid before they get off parole or probation. My son has twelve years of it after doing five years because that is what the judge gave him. He went in at 18 and will be in his thirtys before this is behind him.

cblueiis
08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
if Swanson is jacking up the prices on there products, why isn't the system looking for new bids each year to sucure a better price. I know I can't eat the food in the visitors room out of the machines, with the exception of chips, stuff like that, but he thinks he is in a five star restaurant. That $20.00 in change you're allowed to take in goes quick since the prices for food has been increased in the machines.

I don't think the jail is that invested in looking for the lowest bidder....just someone is doing it I suppose. It really infuriates me that this jail just does whatever.......:angry: