View Full Version : Segovia Unit...TX Prison keep this going

Selene _N_Cat
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
O.k. so my boyfriend just got to Segovia Unit today, and i'm supper excited that he's finally back home in the Valley!!

Can anyone tell me about their experiences there? What the visitations are like, etc.

I've never visited Cat while he was in TDCJ, for the past 2 years he's been at a private prison...so i'm pretty nervous about the environment there at Segovia!!

**Also i'd like to keep this thread going, anyone have any comments, questions or concerns post on here please!! I want this thread to help anyone else who might need it in the future :):):):)!!**

Thanks....Sel!!

karen
04-26-2009, 12:38 AM
They only have 3 non contact visitation booths. The up side was lots of privacy, the down side is that there isn't any air ventalation so they are stuffy. The vending machines have good snacks in them, but they are kinda expensive. they sell sandwiches that cost 3.25 each and chips and stuff are 60 -75 cents, cokes are 1.25 so bring lots of quarters.

The CO who pats the women down, is super nice. I believe her name is Officer Lopez and she is just a sweetie. The officers there at visitation actually were all very nice. They will search your car thoroughly so be prepared for that. I have even seen them unzip suit cases and check inside them.

The biggest problem we had with Segovia, was the MAIL ROOM! Those ladies love to deny letters. My hubby has been in tdcj for 3 years now and during that time (excluding his time at Segovia) I had maybe two letters denied. The first month at Segovia I had SEVEN letters denied! Just be sure and tell your boyfriend that if they do dey a letter to have the denial challenged. I have called the Huntsville main mailroom office so much, that Jennifer Smith and I are now on first name basis! HAHA! Okay, not really but she does know who I am and remembers me from all my issues with Segovia mail clerks.

I really don't know what else to tell ya, I'm glad he is closer to home. What a blessing!

KAren

Selene _N_Cat
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks Karen, I had a great visit! The guards were super nice from the get go, I told them it was our first time there so they were real helpful!! The food actually went down to $3...FYI! And ya I like that it's real quiet there and no one bothers you!!

My boyfriend on the other hand hates it there, says that it's real hot where he sleeps...that he walks around in boxers all day!! The visitation room was real cold, guess they had it on full blast! My boyfriend says he's gonna have to tolerate it there because he wants to recieve regular visits!!

Oh I hope I don't have any issues with sending him mail!! I want to send him stationaries and envelopes,etc!!

Selene _N_Cat
05-02-2009, 12:34 PM
So I had no idea that visits were going to be "suspended" (as they put it) do to the damn swine!! Lucky for us that we're only 20 minutes away from Segovia and we didn't have to drive that far!! Still I was all happy because I was under the impression that I was going to see Cat...=(!!

The guards advised us to call next Friday to see if they're going to have visitations! I hope they do!!

shela
05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I called them about 1:00 on friday about visitation and it was still on... so I drove and drove... 9 hours later I am in Edinburg getting ready for my surprise visit for my husband. Only to find out in the morning they cancelled them. I was so disappointed!! The guy at the front said they found out about 5... but it looks like many here on pto found out much earlier. Wish they would have made that decision earlier...

Selene _N_Cat
05-05-2009, 09:57 PM
UGH SHELA...i'm so sorry about that!! I would have been so upset if I would of driven 9 hours to get denied visitation!!

Selene _N_Cat
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Anyone going to Segovia this weekend just thought I might let you know to get there early, it's been ridiculously packed!! Had about 14 cars in front of me, not all of them were going to Segovia though - because Segovia and Lopez unit are semi-combined that's why it was packed!! The majority of cars were headed to Lopez...but it's still a pain to have to wait in the hot sun!! DRAG!!

mymichael08
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I am going this weekend (May 30th). I am flying from Lubbock. How early should I get there. I do not get a contact visit and Michael is in the Segovia unit. Thanks.

Anyone going to Segovia this weekend just thought I might let you know to get there early, it's been ridiculously packed!! Had about 14 cars in front of me, not all of them were going to Segovia though - because Segovia and Lopez unit are semi-combined that's why it was packed!! The majority of cars were headed to Lopez...but it's still a pain to have to wait in the hot sun!! DRAG!!

trishie35
05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Well I am going for my first visit at this unit, since this is my first time what time should I get there and what should I know. I called to see about getting a special visit and they said I am 270 miles and its not far enough. So I told them about my special neck condition and asked to please be considered since I won't be able to visit much and need someone to drive me since my neck can't handle driving that far. I think I am going to start the process of Hardship Transfer just want to talk with him first. Can you wear Long Capris and sandals or is jeans required? Do they record visitation conversations?

Selene _N_Cat
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
mymichael...try to get here around 8 or 8:30!

trishie35...no your conversations are not recorded during visitations! Sounds like to much work!! N* E* ways, yes you can wear long capris, I did on Saturday, and you can also wear sandals, I always do! Just keep the shirts with sleeves! Also remember to take change only (quarters) in a clear plastic bag with your i.d., before you go in the actual facility wrtie on a piece of paper your vehicle info. (model, color, license plate #, and year)!

Also don't bring any outside food or drinks; they'll make you go back all the way back to your car and drop it off!! DumB!! Damn female guard saw that I was almost finished with a bottle of water that I brought, my intentions were to throw it away in the trash can that was in front of the podium/her desk and she ordered me to go back to my car and drop it off!! I couldn't believe her and was to frustrated to argue with her!!

trishie35
05-28-2009, 10:49 AM
My husband is going to drop me off and then pick me back up, I rather see my son alone, will they be ok with that? Thanks for all your information you have been great help. I sure hope they give me my special visit.:cool:

mymichael...try to get here around 8 or 8:30!

trishie35...no your conversations are not recorded during visitations! Sounds like to much work!! N* E* ways, yes you can wear long capris, I did on Saturday, and you can also wear sandals, I always do! Just keep the shirts with sleeves! Also remember to take change only (quarters) in a clear plastic bag with your i.d., before you go in the actual facility wrtie on a piece of paper your vehicle info. (model, color, license plate #, and year)!

Also don't bring any outside food or drinks; they'll make you go back all the way back to your car and drop it off!! DumB!! Damn female guard saw that I was almost finished with a bottle of water that I brought, my intentions were to throw it away in the trash can that was in front of the podium/her desk and she ordered me to go back to my car and drop it off!! I couldn't believe her and was to frustrated to argue with her!!

Selene _N_Cat
05-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Trishie i'm not to sure on that! I would suggest you call them and ask, cause I don't wanna give you the wrong info.
(956) 316-2400

mymichael08
05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
since they only have three rooms for non contact visits should I get there before 8:00. I heard some people get there as early as 5 am. I requested a special visit since I am flying in from Lubbock and I called today and she said they approve a 2 to 4 hour visit. she said they are not letting people have their 4 hour visits if there are peolpe waiting. Last time I went I had to wait for 5 hours in the parking lot because people were getting their 4 hour visits and it was 3:30 by the time I got to see him and we only got 1 1/2 hour visit.

Selene _N_Cat
05-29-2009, 05:13 AM
mymichael...that sux!! Why can't you get a contact visit with him?

mymichael08
05-30-2009, 10:25 PM
I am listed as a friend is why I don't get contact visits. we are not married.
I just got home to Lubbock from visiting him and guess what-i only got two hours with him. I was so pissed. I spent all that money on airfare and hotel and I get two hours. they said it was because it was the last weekend of the month and a lot of the guys had already used their three contact visits and those guys had 1 non contact visit left. Just does not seem fair. I am going back end of July so maybe I will get my 4 hours then. And that room where you have your visit (non contact) are HOT and humid. It is hard to hear each other talk because the airconditioning vent is right above you and it runs constantly.

mymichael...that sux!! Why can't you get a contact visit with him?

Selene _N_Cat
05-31-2009, 01:21 PM
mymichael i'm sorry that your visit wasn't the greatest!! At least you got to see him though, i'm sure you made his week =) !! Are you going to be able to have a 4 hour visit next time though? I thought only immediate family members could, wife included! I always got special visits when Cat was @ Mineral Wells, cuz he listed me as his wife (we really aren't married -just common law)! Even now in TDCJ they didn't ask me for proof or anything, it's already in there system from then. Good luck w/that!!

Selene _N_Cat
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Trishie...it was really nice meeting you and your son (he's VERY handsome...shh just don't repeat that)!! How weird that him and Cat are good friends, were even in Mineral Wells together!

Anyone going out there this weekend?