View Full Version : Need information, 16 yr old niece in custody

SpicaRigel
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM
My great neice who is 16,lives in Santa Cruz, has been arrested for attempting/or did stab her mother.
Im sure she is in juvenile hall,but my question is will she be turned over to the system or what?
Sorry im kinda ignorant about the system.
Can i call and get any info on her? i want her to know im there for her.
She has been drinking and drugging and i have to admit her mother and father havent been there for her.
Any info would be great,thanks in advance.

kima
04-22-2009, 09:53 PM
She may be tried as an adult for attempted murder, and if found guilty, she could be ordered to serve her time in an adult institution (worst case scenario). Probably right now it would just do her some good to get correspondance from you, to know that there's someone out there who cares.

Just a thought after reading your post...it's possible she's been sexually and/or physically abused and is either taking her anger out on her mother (who she may blame for not protecting her) or her mother may have been the abuser. Kids (and she IS a kid) don't go after their parents without (what in their mind, anyway) is good cause. If you suspect abuse, and better yet can help her prove it, her sentence could be reduced or evaluated in a different light.

SpicaRigel
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you kima. i dont know if she has been abused sexually or physically,i do know she has been emotionally and mentally.
My family keeps secrets,and are very dysfunctional. My younger brother tipped me off about her situation, but doesnt know much else about what is happening. i am going to call juvenile hall in santa cruz this morning to see if i can find out anything.
again, thanks so much.

pj663
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
My husband was tried as adult at the age of seventeen so more then likely if this was a possible case of attempted murder the same may happen to her:( One thing to keep in mind is that if this is her first offense they may be willing to possible get her help and possible time in the Y.A. Just my thought sweetie but we are here for you in any way that we can help:)

Pinky99
04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
You can write to her but if you call they will not disclose any information to you unless you are the parent or legal guardian.

Depending on the severity of the crime she could get tried as an adult. If not then it could be handled in juvenile court. If this is her first contact (meaning first offense) with law enforcement then it definitely is better for her as far as sentencing. If she is tried as a juvenile then the worst that could happen to her is she could get sent to CYA. If she is tried as an adult then she will be housed in JH until she turns 18 at which time she will be transferred to DOC.

SpicaRigel
05-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Okay, well i finally got a hold of my sister and my neices mother(she is actually my great neice) turned her over as a ward of the state so she is in a group home.
Any correspondence has to be ok'd first by her counselor. I hope i can write her soon. My sister is going to see if i am approved.
Thanks for the info folks!

Dana

Shari
05-06-2009, 07:42 PM
My guy and I went thru the same thing. While he was in his son was made a ward of the court and sent to a group home and we had to be approved for any correspondence. It was not that hard to get that done, the hard part was for the approval to visit. I was able to write him after his 30 day adjustment period and he was able to call me after that time also. The only info they asked from me was who I was, my phone number and address. For visiting they did run a background check on me. I hope you get the approval quickly just know that there might be a 30 day black out period.

I will tell you that the group home my guys son was sent to ended up being the best thing for him. He has come a long way since he has been there and will be going home in about a month and a half.

MizzBlue
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
She is most likely looking at time in Y.A
One of my best friends got 5 years in Y.A. for attempted murder
and my other friend got 8 years in Y.A. for conspiracy of murder

Shari
05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
If you read the later post the girl has already been placed into a group home. If they were thinking of pressing charges and sending her to YA they would not of put her in a group home.