View Full Version : LA County- House Arrest Q&A

Mvarm8
04-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Everyone, just got a call from my fiance and they are most likely releasing him today for house arrest. So I couldn't be more excited, he will have served 18 days in LA County on a 365 day sentence. I have some advice I'd like to pass along that seemed to work well for me and can hopefully help you. I also intend on having him write something when he gets out as well as I feel like I need to give back to everyone who helped me on here.

In the past 18 days I delt with just about every problem LA County and the Twin Towers could throw at me. He is bipolar and they were not giving him his meds. I called the TT front desk and eventually got a hold of his counselor and hounded her for information. I also sent the appropriate faxes to the sheriff's dept that they have on their website. I attached my own personal cover letter that was demanding but not bitchy. I used words like neglect, contacting the media and a lawyer and that seemed to get their ass in gear. I also called the family help advocate (PM me and I can give you his number) and he made a few calls on my behalf as well. All I can say is that keep on them, call three, four times a day and insist that you talk to who you need to. Make sure you get direct numbers because their crappy phone system likes to disconnect you. But I also found that being very nice and understanding at first got me a long way, I thanked everyone over and over and only got mean when I needed to. These guys have NO help in there. They will wait around forever unless they have someone on the outside advocating like crazy for them.

Next, with mail I saw someone suggested sending letters in a large manilla envelope. Yes, it works, he got that in 4 days and my normal letters took at least a week. Make sure its the sticky seal kind though. And I sent him some pictures as well, and let me suggest you not try to the screw the system by sending "sexy" pics. My guy said he could not be less turned on by spending all day every day with a bunch of dudes and just a sweet picture of me was enough for him. I also sent postcards which got there even faster because they don't have to search them. He said getting mail was the highlight of being in there and would reread stuff over and over again.

Release date info. I personally contacted one of the higher up sheriff's and talked to him just this morning. He said inmate are generally doing around 70% of their time (the projected release date) this changes if you have a previous record or possibly if its a violent or gang related crime. He then said that the key to get out faster is good behavior. Each day counts as one day, plus another day for good behavior. SO, he clarified that on a 365 day sentence for a non-violent crime you would get out in 4 and half months if you behave. As far as the house arrest goes the downfall with that is you do all 365 days instead of just doing your 4-5 months and done. However the electronic monitoring people informed me that IF YOU BEHAVE you'll probably only wind up doing 70% of your time on that anyway, and I know I'd rather have my guy around for the next 8 months instead of possibly in jail. The key to everything is to not try to work around the system, just be nice, be good and good things will come.

My last suggestion is to do what I did. I contacted the mayor of my man's city, who also works for the LASD and through him was able to qualify my guy for house arrest. Write to the papers, write to your mayor, congress people, anyone who you might know who could possibly help you because you never know when it just might work. The worse someone could say is NO. I urge you to write a heartfelt letter that explains why your man, or woman, should either be released early or be up for house arrest. Do not hound them about how innocent they might be, the case is closed and that will not change.

Lastly I am going to make a documentry about all of this and would love to take interviews or hear your stories from the outside or anyone who has served. Please feel free to PM if you would like to share, or if you are a newbie and have any questions. I can foward you the phone numbers I called that seemed to work and the people I talked to. The first week and half was hell, but we both kept our heads up and thought positive things. And you will get places a lot faster if you work with the system instead of against it. And now hopefully he'll be out tonight!

halebop
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
This helps! Glad you posted. In June my hubby will starting 180 day sentence for possession (no priors)

Just so I know what to expect...was it awhile before you heard from him?
Did it take time before you knew where to you could write to him? Did he move around much? Are there specific hours only he can call? I'm worried about not being able to talk to him because he can't call my work collect and most nights i don't get home from work until 7 pm - can he call at night?

I don't want this to start...but in a way I sort of do so it can get closer to being behind us. I'm so worried and it helps if I can learn stuff in advance and know what to expect.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Mvarm8
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
He was booked on a Friday and he tried calling on Saturday evening and Sunday morning from IRC (Inmate reception center), but I missed both of the calls. I then didn't hear from him until Wed morning when he had been moved to the Towers. I did write him almost immediately, there is a general address on the LASD website and you just need his name and booking number which you can get from the site as well. It took them 5 days to move my man out of IRC, which is long, but he had a mental illness so he was waiting to see the doctor. If your hubby doesn't have a lot of medical stuff they will probably move him out in a day or so. Visiting in the Towers is a lot better than MCJ, so hopefully he will be placed there. As far as calling, my guy said they usually turned the phones around 9am, sometimes a little earlier and usually shut them off around 8. It depends if anyone is goofing around though or if they get put on lockdown. He was in one of the most low-profile pods so they hardly ever shut the phones off. I would sometimes talk to him 5 times a day. He was able to call collect to my cell phone, as long as you have a local number I would suggest doing that way because it was too expensive, just let him know he'll probably be waiting on hold for awhile when you have to enter the credit card info. If you don't have a local number get one now because that will save you a ton of money. My fiance was only moved from IRC to Tower one, but I hear some people get moved around more if they are in general population. 180 days won't be too bad, he'll probably get out in two moths, maybe less. Just stress to him that he needs to behave and be nice to all the guards and people that work there even if they are mean to him. He said they put up at front at first to feel out new inmates but after a few days they losen up and get friendly if they like you and know you aren't going to mess around while in there. The first week or so is going to suck, but I promise it gets easier after that. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

halebop
07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I just got a call from probation. My husband was hoping for work release but instead was interviewed today for house arrest / electronic monitoring.

The problem that has me in a panic - I can't pay for it! He has not worked in years (literally). I pay for EVERYTHING and it's a struggle pay check to pay check. I just finished paying the last payment for his last bail. Debt is way to high and I'm out of options to get additional money.

I know he'll say "I'll pay for it" but he has no job and literally not $20 to his name. I'm told I'll get a call in 3-5 days if he is approved. People I talked to said he will be approved. (all his offenses are narcotics possession - nothing violent etc)

He'll be released. The next day we have to go with an intial payment of $130 or $160. The daily fee from there will "most likely be" $10 - $15 a day. You don't find out the exact amount until after he's released. He'll agree to anything to come home.

But there's just NO way I can afford it. Now it puts all the pressure on ME. I'm going to have to sit there and say, I don't have the initial payment and I can't afford the future payments and he'll go back into custody.

In that moment it's like the "blame" shifts to me. They let him out...but I can't come through so he goes back to jail. I will feel beyond horrible. He'll actually be let out and then taken back into custody.

He should know this but he really doesn't get the financialy pressure and strain b/c I always somehow get us through. I'm told my only option to stop the approval is to say he can't live with me (then they go to him if he's approved and ask if he has anywhere else to go - not ok) OR to say the day after he gets out that I can't pay and he'll go back into custody.

I'm so upset. I'll be the one to say I don't have the money and can't afford to pay and he'll go back to jail at my hand.

I can't believe the financial aspect isn't a condition BEFORE they approve you. If he's approved he'll get out. If payment isn't made - he'll go back into custody. I've done nothing wrong here yet the whole scenario sets me up to be the bad guy / the reason he goes back into custody.

I literally feel sick. I KNOW I can't come up with the inital $130 - $160 in 3-5 days time and I also know I can't pay $10-$15 per day. But I can't imagine having to say that and watch him go back into custody. It makes my heart hurt.

I'm a wreck. I seriously wish he could have manned up and realized the huge burden on ME instead of thinking some fairy would appear to pay for this. I know he wants out but this is so selfish of him. He won't see it that way. He'll say he'll pay it himself. He always says that but believe me there's no way that's remotely possible. :(

This keeps getting harder with each passing day. I thought it would get easier. Wrong.

halebop
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
As this is sinking in...I guess I have to tell him when he calls tonight what the cost is and that "we" (meaning "I") can't afford it. I know for sure he'll say that he'll pay for it. (even though he'd have to have $160 the day after his release + around $15 a day going forward for the full 180 day sentence and he has no job, no savings)

I will hope and pray that he won't take it if he is approved. But I have to prepare for sitting in a room watching him go back into custody when I say I don't have the money.

This feels really really bad. I'm sad b/c in theory he could come home. Yet I'm also angry that he put me in this position.

I already know he will be really upset when I mention the cost. He'll want me to just be happy he can come home but I can't when I know I can't pay for the program.

jewellsprincess
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
i feel bad for you.......but remember you did not do this and you are doing the best you can....he needs to understand that money doesnt grow on trees and its not humanly possible for you to take care of another bill he is creating for you..........yes he will be mad and blame you hopefully in the long run he understands that you just cant afford it.......he hasnt had to afford anything the whole time he has been in there and has no clue that jobs are not easy to find right now....dont blame yourself and stand your ground that you gotta take care of you and your bills first seeing hes not able to help....you come first and this is a bill that just can not be paid....please dont tear yourself up over it..be the strong woman that stands up for herself and tell him like it is.........i know you love him and love is hard id be doing the same thing you are, but my husband would totally understand and stay where he is to make sure myself and daughter have everything we need and are not struggling.........and thats the honest to gods truth..........id rather him stay then watch him get released to be taken right back into custody........dont do that to yourself please...........

halebop
07-08-2009, 01:37 PM
THANK you for posting this. I think I "know" most of what you said...but I really, really needed to hear it.

Would you agree then that the right thing for me to do is to very clearly tell him tonight on the phone what I found out about the cost and that if we literally didn't buy a single grocery or bite of food for the next 5 months...it would STILL be too expensive so there is no possible way I can pay for it and that he needs to not accept it when he is approved?

It's going to be hard. I hate that I'm the one feeling sick over this now. He seems to have no awareness that he brought this on himself. That's not to say I don't feel bad for him (I do! I love him and miss him terribly) but I wish he could think about the impact on me a bit more (even though he's the one in jail)

I didn't sleep a wink last night b/c he had been moved from a sheriff's station back to men's central and got me all upset telling me how horrible it is (even in the trustee dorm) and that I had to "do something" to get him out. Umm - he's already sentenced. There's nothing to be done except for him to realize it's his own fault (of course he blames the judge and prosecutor) I know all this but it still makes my heart pound and kept me awake most of the night.

Now this...knowing he's all happy today thinking he's 3-5 days away from release and it has to fall on me to tell him he better stay put.

Thank you again. You really made me feel better.

jewellsprincess
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
yes you need to tell him tonight for your own sanity......and be upfront and honest about it.......i feel really bad for you but hes the one that put you in this position, he needs to take responsibility and not balme anyone but himself..........he did this not you...........my husband always took the blame for what he did and dealt with whatever he had to, he has been home five years and in those five years he is the one that does without not myself our my daughter his step daughter.........he works 6 days a week sometimes 16 hours a day to make sure i have a newer vehicle and can make the payments....also alixandra turned 16 last october and he made sure she got a 10,000 car.......lol.......that she has smashed twice we still owe 6500 and i cant even get 1000 for it...........and i refuse to claim it on the insurance...........he drives a crappy old car...........he made sure we had new laptops he has none, he makes sure we have new cloths while he wears old stuff..........another words hes not selfish and he thinks of us not himself............he would never expect me to do without just so he could be home he would suffer it out as it was his fault......and for him trying to make you feel worse by telling you how crappy it is in there just makes me mad........of course its crappy there its not a vacation house but hell he put himself there and he needs to deal with it, you need to worry about you and do no more than you can afford to........do not put yourself in debt over it remember he did this........and do not make yourself sick over it.........its going to be hard please pm me if you need to talk hell you can even call me if you need to just send a pm and ill send my number to keep you strong and help with your pain and tears........i know he wants to come home and you want him home........but financially its impractical and hes gotta deal with it...........

halebop
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
thank you so much. it's odd...he can be so generous in most ways. he will share his food, his clothes, his money - anything he has with anyone. he was a trustee at a sheriff's station for a couple of weeks and i could bring him food. he'd hand it out (keeping some for himself) to the guys who didn't get visits and snacks brought in.

i really think he's just way out of touch with money since it's all fallen on me for so long. he'll say he'll pay for it (and be annoyed) but he won't think it through and realize that he can't.

i'm praying i get a decent mood from him tonight. by the way - it doesn't help at ALL that he's in for drug possession. i keep forgetting that a lot of this is probably motivated by withdrawl and cravings. i really wish they verified someone's ability to pay BEFORE they approve you and let you out instead of letting you out and then putting you back in if you can't pay.

I really hope he listens to me and doesn't take it when the offer it to him in the next couple of days. I worry he'll take it anyway thinking I'll come up with some way to make it work. I have a long history of pulling stuff off. Like I did bail him out last time when I thought I couldn't. I found a place that took $200 on $1000 and let me make monthly payments on the balance. Very few will do that. I've taught him to believe I can always pull it off / find a way. But I really can't this time.

I wish I could calm down. I'm distracted and nervous and feeling sort of nauseous over it. Maybe it'll go better than I think...I sure hope he calls tonight so I can at least get the conversation over with.

Thank you again for being so nice. I really needed this support right now.

jewellsprincess
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
please stay strong and please send me a pm letting me know what happened i will be thinking of you........dont let him pressure you into doing anything you cant.....i always pulled everything off......and still do......but now im just working my ass off so we have everything we need.........whats important is you having what you need on the outside....right now you just cant do it and explain it to him best you can.........good luck

halebop
07-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I hope I'm wrong...but I predict he'll hang up on me when I start to talk about it. He won't want to hear anything other than "I can't wait for you to come home" (even though he knows that's true and I tell him all the time)

He'll hang up in a huff. (it's not like I can call him back) I won't get to tell him how much it will cost and that I can't possibly come up with even the initial payment. They'll let him out and it'll be the most horrible moment ever in life when I go to probation with him and say I can't pay and he goes back into custody.

I really really hope it can play out some way other than that. Maybe he'll surprise me and tomorrow I can post that he was understanding.

oL!V3*O!l*23
07-08-2009, 04:25 PM
just pray for the lord to guide u to the right decision..............there is nothing impossible for the lord to do....................put this situation in his hands and it will all work out! and pray for ur man to understand!

preachrwife
07-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Amen to that. O, I couldn't agree more.

Might want to check with your church..maybe they might know of a job for your husband to pay off his own dues. May God grant you guidance.

Jeresmom
11-11-2009, 12:43 PM
I know exactly what yor saying. My boyfriend came home on house arrest 3 wks ago and its been hell trying to make the payments. When probation called me they had asked me if he was employed i stated "no". They did not mentioned once to me that there was a charge. So I was fully unaware of anything but I knew he would be coming home soon. When we went to his 1st visit he mentioned to me he needed $130.00, and of courseIwas told at the last minute. I was really nervous on what was going to happen to him cuz we didnt have it. But then after his meeting he told me it was going to be $77.00 a week. hes not working and I recieve SSI> I pay for everything from rent,utilities,food,ins you name it I pay for it. My once a month check is not cutting it. And there is also court fines that goes along with it. So i know exactly how you feel cuz i'm feeling the same way. A nervous wreck

halebop
11-11-2009, 03:50 PM
It's terrible that they don't make the cost very clear BEFORE they give you the option. Apparently, they wait until you're released and then if you can't afford it - you go back into custody.

I was lucky in that he got out on work release instead of house arrest but I remember being a nervous wreck. Good luck. I know it won't bring you much comfort...but please try to remind yourself that you did nothing wrong and it's not (actually) your responsibility to pay for this. Hang in there!

Jeresmom
11-13-2009, 01:39 AM
It's terrible that they don't make the cost very clear BEFORE they give you the option. Apparently, they wait until you're released and then if you can't afford it - you go back into custody.

I was lucky in that he got out on work release instead of house arrest but I remember being a nervous wreck. Good luck. I know it won't bring you much comfort...but please try to remind yourself that you did nothing wrong and it's not (actually) your responsibility to pay for this. Hang in there!
Thank you, i really needed another person on the outside instead of just my friends. Thanks again:confused:

halebop
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
another thought...if it gets to be financially impossible, he can go back into custody voluntarily. i know that sounds horrible - but depending how long he has left - it might not be. when you're out on house arrest you do the whole time you had left. if he goes back in with 60 days left - he might get out in 10 (made up the numbers but you get the idea)

halebop
03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
My husband was interviewed for house arrest yesterday. They have him convinced it's just "a few dollars a week".

By my calculations he'd only have around 40 days left to do so I really wish he'd just get it over with.

Last time he was in County I looked into house arrest and called the company that sets up the payments. I was told everyone's income in the household was considered and it there was a sliding scale based on ability to pay but from what I've gathered talking to people it's at least $500+ per month and nothing even remotely like the $5 per week idea my husband has in his head.

The worst part is that apparently you don't know what cost you're agreeing to until after you're out so if it turns out you can't pay - you go back into custody after being released.

Of course he's all agitated and thinks I'm being mean and negative (and I think he's being foolish to not just be happy that things turned out so well for him in court and finish his days). By my calculations he'd only have around 40 days left to do so I really wish he'd just get it over with.

But I did want to check, has anyone heard that the cost of house arrest for felonies in Los Angeles County has drastically dropped within the last few months?

Also, I know before he could be released on house arrest they'd have to talk to me. If I were to express my concerns (I have a couple of very valid ones besides the expense) - is there ANY chance he'd find out that he didn't get it because of me or would he just not hear back and figure he wasn't approved? I don't want to risk him following up and being told he didn't get approved because of what I said when they call me.

Thanks for the help as always.

vcb2010
06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Can anyone help me understand the request process to get him interviewed for the house release? (ankle monitor, house arrest thing) A guy he is in MCj with just got it approved (like my husband, a non violent first timer) and on the sliding scale it works out to $3-5 a day-which we could conceivably afford as much as we can afford the price of GTL, commissary, time away from his business etc.
We really just found out about it today (thanks a bundle, super-expensive attorneys) and I would prefer to side step my lousy, over priced & useless attorney and see if we can facilitate this ourselves. I (we) just don't know where to begin. He was given 365 and evidently will have to do 6 months on the GPS is he can get it. Any tips on how to make that happen...like quickly? (I miss him so much and hate this)
We are praying we can possibly accomplish this before he gets bussed off to Wayside in a couple weeks (to the old man farm since he's over 40, I guess..all new to me)
Thank you for all your help, as always...

grayworldangel
06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Can anyone help me understand the request process to get him interviewed for the house release?

If I understand correctly, there's a list created automatically that the ankle monitoring people get every day that has everyone who is possibly eligible for the program. From my experience, they seem to interview guys pretty quickly--so the list thing may be true. I have a phone number for the "Community Based Alternatives to Custody Unit" without a name, but you could certainly give it a try: 213-893-5324.

vcb2010
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Just an update & some info...we sprung my husband last Friday on house arrest which is so needed because he is allowed to work (so far) and since he runs his own business, it is a life saver.
All the financial horror stories are true...the probation / early release interviewers tell you not to worry, the cost is (avg) around $3 a day, on a sliding scale..ya right. Then you drive all the way up to Lancaster to sit and get told by the company that provides the ankle bracelet that it will be in excess of $450 a month! (about $15 / day) my husband said "great, when can I get back to jail? no way could I afford it."
Then they backed off a bit and we were able to provide copies of all of our bills vs. what we have for income and the folks there dropped it by half, so now it is $110 (approx) every 2 weeks (total of $800 for the full sentence time) and the start up cost was $130 (not to mention the probation dues, court fees etc. equalling around $400 more! Which suddenly come due even though you are not yet really on probation, but in "custody" ) Some highlights of our experience so far:
*Ability (like I said, so far) to work 6am-6pm M-F
*Cannot even go out the front door even into our yard, must stay inside (but that sure beats County)
*bi-weekly trips to Lancaster (Faaaaar) and monthly trips to the P.O.
*RANDOM PHONE CALLS at 11:00PM then waking you up at 03:30 AM both to just call to verify your name & bday and SS#. These so far have been distressing but we will learn to deal with it.
*Call came in last night at 10:30PM telling my husband he was to be in Sylmar at their office (?) at 8:30am...my husband asked where it was, address or anything, they said they didn't know (??) so he said "how can I be there at 8:30am if I don't know where to go?" she said "call the office in Lancaster, which opens at (you guessed it) 8:30am" ...uh huh...this is supposedly for "maintenance" of the equipment but it made me VERY nervous because he left to go to work for the first time yesterday (w/in the assigned hours).
I think they just make it standard procedure to mess with them so they don't get comfy.
On the upside, his PRD (end of house arrest) is in October, which is only a little over 4 months of a 365 sentence, so that part is true. House arrest is not your whole sentence, just the whole of your PRD.
If you guys are interested, I will let you know what BS goes on today...(but I am glad he is home)

marie7
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Just an update & some info...we sprung my husband last Friday on house arrest which is so needed because he is allowed to work (so far) and since he runs his own business, it is a life saver.
All the financial horror stories are true...the probation / early release interviewers tell you not to worry, the cost is (avg) around $3 a day, on a sliding scale..ya right. Then you drive all the way up to Lancaster to sit and get told by the company that provides the ankle bracelet that it will be in excess of $450 a month! (about $15 / day) my husband said "great, when can I get back to jail? no way could I afford it."
Then they backed off a bit and we were able to provide copies of all of our bills vs. what we have for income and the folks there dropped it by half, so now it is $110 (approx) every 2 weeks (total of $800 for the full sentence time) and the start up cost was $130 (not to mention the probation dues, court fees etc. equalling around $400 more! Which suddenly come due even though you are not yet really on probation, but in "custody" ) Some highlights of our experience so far:
*Cannot even go out the front door even into our yard, must stay inside (but that sure beats County)
*RANDOM PHONE CALLS at 11:00PM then waking you up at 03:30 AM both to just call to verify your name & bday and SS#. These so far have been distressing but we will learn to deal with it.
*Call came in last night at 10:30PM telling my husband he was to be in Sylmar at their office (?) at 8:30am...my husband asked where it was, address or anything, they said they didn't know (??) so he said "how can I be there at 8:30am if I don't know where to go?" she said "call the office in Lancaster, which opens at (you guessed it) 8:30am" ...uh huh...this is supposedly for "maintenance" of the equipment but it made me VERY nervous because he left to go to work for the first time yesterday (w/in the assigned hours).
I think they just make it standard procedure to mess with them so they don't get comfy.
On the upside, his PRD (end of house arrest) is in October, which is only a little over 4 months of a 365 sentence, so that part is true. House arrest is not your whole sentence, just the whole of your PRD.
If you guys are interested, I will let you know what BS goes on today...(but I am glad he is home)

A lot of good info here, thanks! I have signed myself up for house arrest but am a little apprehensive. I work in entertainment industry so my hours are a little crazy... usually I'd have to take the bus to work (this whole thing was cause by a 2nd DUI) @ around 7a and I don't return home to 9p. Will they sign off on those hours? My employer is willing to make a statement to that effect, but I'm just wondering because you mentioned that your husband can work 6a - 6p... thanks for any info!!

grimsgirl_78
02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
You do know that your fiance is going to have to do his entire sentece right, he will not qualify for early release, If you guys could afford it well good luck and congrats to both of you:))

alyssa123
10-21-2014, 02:26 PM
Thanks so much for your input. It really helped! My boyfriend just got sentenced 365 days and is already trying to apply for the ankle monitor bracelet so I am full of questions and could use your help because I am abroad and cannot get a hold of him.
-Did it take a long time for the county to approve your husband for the ankle bracelet monitor?
-Was he released right after he was approved?
-Did he have to serve the whole 365 days once he was approved or did they end up shortening it?
-On house arrest is he still allowed to text, use computers, call people and have communication with others?
-Also if he was not put in jail for an alcohol related incident is he still allowed to drink if he is of age?

Look forward to hearing back from you, you sound like you would be very helpful!

Samgs22
06-03-2015, 12:38 AM
does anyone know anyone that has been put back into custody for violating house arrest? i have 6 violations and after tomorrows meeting will probably have 2-3 more recorded. they are all for not blowing into the breathalyzer monitor or for going to the front gate and opening the door for guests.
do the sheriffs come to you or do they just pick you up from the sentinel office?

dmerritt0606
04-16-2018, 08:31 PM

Hi my husband just applied for house arrest how long does the process take ? Thanks for your help