View Full Version : Any use a Tracphone for local collect calls?

boflipflops36
03-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I was wondering has any one ever used a prepaid Tracphone, Had CBS Pre paid put on phone with a local number from the area they are incarcerated at? I am trying to get a phone for the area where he is in jail at and cut back on cost of the 15 min calls. Any one have a suggestion for Cullman Alabama?

jas509
03-28-2009, 11:36 PM
you got the right idea, but i would use a net 10 phone instead of a tracfone. the minutes for the tracfone are a rip off. you can enroll your net 10 phone for 150 minutes for $15 a month.

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 08:49 AM
How do i do that? enroll? Do i go to Cullman buy the phone at wall mart then how do i get a # for there?
Thanks

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Forgot to ask---Can net10 receive collect prepaid phone calls from the jail?
I understand i have to buy Phone AND Minutes. Get Local Phone number for that area, Set that up-- Pay CBS the 50.00 min for him to be able to make a collect call from the jail.

AK'S girl
03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
yes net 10 is the easiest to use, go to wal mart and get it, you get 300 free minutes, and you can use Correctional Billing Services, make sure you use the zip code closest to your loved ones facility, rates are cheaper with the same area code

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 12:17 PM
We have the same area code. I thought we need the prefix to be the same as the jail?
Like My number area code is 256-(350)-xxxx And Jail is 256-(735)xxxx also the pay phone they use is 256-737-xxxx
I need to ask for the 256-735? or 735?then what ever the last 4 would be does not matter?
If its 2.25 to connect 20 cent a min to my home phone now,How much cheaper is it to go the Net 10 and it be local? for him.

thugwife
03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
I dont know how it works, but IF you register your Net10 online instead of activating it on the phone, you get so many extra minutes. I am unsure how many extra, but you get them. I got my cell established out of his town and area code he is at, but I have a contract. But had I not, I would have added the extra feature on my Vonage home account or looked into NET10.

If you get the net10 phone, dont forget to activate it online.

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry to be posting so much about this but we all have to learn about the system.
I just called CBS and she said it was still the same amount for a call from the 256-737xxxx to a local 256-737-xxxx. I pay 2.25 connect fee and 20 cents a Min. now to my home and cell phone, Dont think a net 10 would help me that much. It would be 10 cents a min and i still pay the 2.25 connect charge. So i am paying 5.25 for 15 min call. I am thinking Do i pay for a Net 10 phone get it with there prefix 737 then buy minutes for 60 more days he has left or go with what i have? Any suggestions? Whew this is hard.

thugwife
03-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The way I figured it out before I got my phone, was the cell phones dont save you much of anything. You are STILL buying the phone minutes and YOU are still having to pay CBS, so really it adds more if you ask me. Trust me, I looked into that before I got my cell phone. The only thing is my cell phone only works in the Central part of KY there is only one other prison he can go to that I will be able to use it.

He should parole in June, so maybe I wont have to worry about it much more. But, I looked into AT&T before I got my cell and did the CBS thing too, the biggest part is the connection fee, the per minute here I am unsure of. Our calls are 1.99 for 15 and it was 5.00+ when they were billed to my old phone number.

MelissaTx
03-29-2009, 03:09 PM
I use Net10 for my hunnys calls. I got the phone at the local Family Dollar (I also found them on sell at walmart a few wks later). The phone and 300 mins was $30. When I called to set up my phone, they asked for my home phone #. I just gave them the prison # as my home # :) It has been so much cheaper than him calling the house phone. Net10 is .10cents a min, where as TracPhone (the last time I used it) was I believe $1 a min!!! And yes the prefix has to be the same for it to be a local call. Many places have the same area code, but can still be long distance. In my county, calling someone 3 streets over use to be long distance, Thank Goodness they have changed it.
I would go with Net10 or Cricket, if its in your area.

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks MelissaTX,
I will buy a 300 min phone i saw they have one no roaming charges 19.95 300 min. The phone will be in different county and about 35 miles north from the County jail. But i will get a local number with area code same 256-737-xxxx, See how that works. There prefix is different than the jail, so lets hope i get a good signal. Should i see if they get service in the county we are going to be living in? Or do they bounce of other towers? I no T-Mobile is week in that spot where i will be keeping the phone to get phone calls own.

only1love
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I used net 10. I had to also use GTL! But my phone bills were averaging $700.00 a month! I am in California and he was in Nevada. I went to Wallmart paid the 30 for the phone, got the 300 minutes. I asked the salesman to please set it up for me and he did using all 3: my fiance's area code, the first 3 numbers and the zip code! I still had to pay GTL $25.00.
When he called me, it was not collect. It was pre-paid, and he was dialing a local number and the cost went down to $1.80 for 10 minutes!
Every time the feds moved him, I went to wallmart!
Another tip, when you have to add minutes for CBS, or GTL, do it on line. Do not try to explain this to any of the reps. It's too complicated for them. Just add the payment on line. And then cancel the previous agreement!

MelissaTx
03-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks MelissaTX,
I will buy a 300 min phone i saw they have one no roaming charges 19.95 300 min. The phone will be in different county and about 35 miles north from the County jail. But i will get a local number with area code same 256-737-xxxx, See how that works. There prefix is different than the jail, so lets hope i get a good signal. Should i see if they get service in the county we are going to be living in? Or do they bounce of other towers? I no T-Mobile is week in that spot where i will be keeping the phone to get phone calls own.
Yeah, I would call Net10 and see if there are towers near your house! My phone works better in walmart than my Alltel phone did, BUT there is only one Net10 tower in my area. So I always have to go outside to get a decent signal. Other than that I have had no problems.
Isnt your Grandson going to BOP? If so you can always change your Net10 # to the area where he will be, when he leaves county.
The reason I chose Net10 is there is no roaming fees!

boflipflops36
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
The phone i saw said no roaming it was the Net LG 400GSM Handset. upc; 0061696000644. I hope any will work. He don't go to BOP, he is being held in County for the Feds., I guess with a violation of Fed parole and 90 days they just are going to hold him in the County, serve his time there since its short. Saves them money.
But i am having to put money on CBS, and it don't go far. He is going to have to cut back his calling. I will get the net 10 and it looks like North Alabama has good coverage. Let you all no how it works out and will activate it on line.

MelissaTx
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh Ok I thought he was going to BOP. I believe all the phones for Net10 have no roaming. On the map I first saw for Net10 our area is covered, but I dont get a good signal, but that also could be because Im about 10miles from the nearest tower. We also live in a rural area. Also around here, they use to sell 150 mins for $15. They no longer do that. But you can get 200 mins for $20 online. Very rarely am I able to buy 300mins for $30 in stores.
Hubby wasnt able to call much while he was in county, the calls cost too much. He was always able to talk a guard into letting him call home, or he bought a pre-paid phone card.

boflipflops36
04-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Update,
I went with Net 10 it is great good coverage and the calls are 2.85 cents for 15 min.
Went from 7.25. So it is worth the switch. I got a local number put in zipcode where he is. Got phone going, Called CBS Then added number to my existing account, added money. And he has called us 3 times. You can have more than 1 phone so i just added this number told him the number and he now only calls that local #. The other phone numbers is in case he can't get us own the other phone. But Net 10 is his priority #. Thanks lady's for your help. I recommend Net 10 and a local number where the jail, prison is its so much cheaper.

WaitingForHer1
04-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi. I live in California and we have something called Boost Unlimited. For $50.00 per month I get unlimited calls. I can make and recieve all of the phone calls and text messages for that price. You can request any area code you want. No matter where you live. Then with the home phone I just put it on life line and pay $10 per month. Cause I can get unlimited calls to my home included collect calls from jail and make unlimited local calls. Then I use my cell phone to make and recieve all the calls I want any where I want. If you use a pre paid phone you will pay for every minute you make or recieve calls plus the collect charges. Hardly effective. The Boost unlimited works off of Nextel. It is pre-paid so no contracts. They sell the phones for 19.00 at super walmart.

I think Trac phone is extremly expensive. Just go on the Boost unlimited website for more information.

I have quit talking calls in favor of letters and using the gas to visit. I think the inmates can purchase phone cards and make calls cheaper then if we take collect calls.

My husband has a job in prison and he uses the money to pay for his calls.

Let me know what you figure out and what works best for you.

nysgirl
04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
can u please call me at my home 304-262-6380. im so confused and really need info on how to get a phone so i can talk to him,or email me at nascar48ohya@yahoo.com. i don't undersatnd why he can't just call me collect and that i have to go thro this t-nex thing. then they say i went over my limit and blocked it so he can't call me.. thank you betty

IrishFire
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Forgot to ask---Can net10 receive collect prepaid phone calls from the jail?
I understand i have to buy Phone AND Minutes. Get Local Phone number for that area, Set that up-- Pay CBS the 50.00 min for him to be able to make a collect call from the jail.

I had my regular cell phone (Metro) number changed to a number in his area (he's less than 25 miles from me, but it was still long distance). Now he buys a pre-paid phone card at the commissary and we get 15 minutes for $2.15! Before I changed my phone number it was closer to $2.00 a minute. (We're in the Daytona Beach, Florida area.)

IrishFire
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi. I live in California and we have something called Boost Unlimited. For $50.00 per month I get unlimited calls. I can make and recieve all of the phone calls and text messages for that price. You can request any area code you want. No matter where you live. Then with the home phone I just put it on life line and pay $10 per month. Cause I can get unlimited calls to my home included collect calls from jail and make unlimited local calls. Then I use my cell phone to make and recieve all the calls I want any where I want. If you use a pre paid phone you will pay for every minute you make or recieve calls plus the collect charges. Hardly effective. The Boost unlimited works off of Nextel. It is pre-paid so no contracts. They sell the phones for 19.00 at super walmart.

I think Trac phone is extremly expensive. Just go on the Boost unlimited website for more information.

I have quit talking calls in favor of letters and using the gas to visit. I think the inmates can purchase phone cards and make calls cheaper then if we take collect calls.

My husband has a job in prison and he uses the money to pay for his calls.

Let me know what you figure out and what works best for you.

I'm confused...no surprise there! :o We have Boost around here, Florida (my middle son uses Boost). Does your loved one call your Boost phone or your home phone?

I currently have Metro PCS, unlimited calls and text. I got a local number for HIS area. He buys a pre-paid phone card and calls my Metro number (which is a local call for him) and we pay $2.15 for 15 minutes. Being unlimited, I don't get charged by the minute like with pre-paid minutes plans.

Just as an added note, when I changed my number to match his prefix, I just blurted it out to the rep on the phone. She was SO kind and understanding that I thanked her for not judging my husband. She replied, "Oh honey, the only difference between your man and the rest of us is he got caught." She made my day!