View Full Version : Is there a way of getting out of life-time probation in Arizona

just1
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is any way of getting out of life-time probation in Arizona, or is it cut in stone?

ForceforChange
03-23-2009, 12:54 AM
What is the offenders offense? SO = NO.

Can anyone tell me if there is any way of getting out of life-time probation in Arizona, or is it cut in stone?

just1
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
I know one SO who broke his own parole when he got out, had to do 4 years for that, then had 2 years probation and was out from under it. So that's one way--any others?

ForceforChange
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
SO in AZ have lifetime Probation. It's like death and taxes..

I know one SO who broke his own parole when he got out, had to do 4 years for that, then had 2 years probation and was out from under it. So that's one way--any others?

just1
03-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Unless it is like the person listed in situation above.

ForceforChange
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Arizona law (A.R.S. 13-604.01 {1}) authorizes lifetime probation for certain sex offenders subsequent to their serving prison terms and for offenders whose sex crimes were uncompleted (attempts). According to a spokesperson for the Maricopa County Probation Department, about 500 sex offenders currently in prison are scheduled for eventual release to the county to serve sentences of lifetime probation; approximately two-thirds of the State's offenders are based in Maricopa County.

I normally don't try to think of ways to beat the system, its much easier to work within the system. I guess in this instance it would depend on if the felon falls under the above ARS. On a case-by-case bases I would defer to legal aids (lawyers) to see if something could be done.

Unless it is like the person listed in situation above.

k86698
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
If you go to Maricopa Superior Court and ask the clerk for the document that you need to file a motion on your own regarding your case. The clerk will give you a packet that has the forms and instructions. Fill out the blank motion. Be sure to have a reason why you want to be released from probation. Just saying that life is hard on probation will get you no where. Complaining about the adult probation department will also get you no where. After stating your reason for wanting to be released from Lifetime Probation. Describe your progress in treatment in your own words. Describe all testing that you have successfully completed. Don't worry about mentioning any negative testing results, the state will bring that up in their answer.
If you do not have the support of the Adult Probation Department, it's not impossible, however, it is a lot more difficult.

I filed a motion to be released from Lifetime three times across four years before I was successful.

Good Luck.

jsd316
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
there are 2 ways.

1. Have your probation revoked and serve a DOC term (not an attractive option); or
2. Seek a petition for early termination from the court.

aba
09-21-2009, 12:08 AM
with all due respect, besides from being a SO how does one end up on lifetime probation? that seems a bit unrealistic especially when someone become old and frail and couldn't a court at some point deem someone to no longer be a threat? just curious.

Impervius
09-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Yes you can get off lifetime probation. The probation officers will advise you to wait at least 7 years before trying.