View Full Version : Probation and out of state employment

Suppression
03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Greetings,

I have been looking for a question like mine and as yet have not found it so forgive me if its out there. Just the same here is my situation.

I am on probation as part of a deferred adjudication agreement in Williamson County Texas. As it turns out this is one of the worst counties in texas to be caught with drugs. So i have a state jail felony charge for less than a gram of meth back in 05. (final sentencing just over two years ago) So now that I managed to finish my PhD I am looking for very specialized employment which requires me to consider companies outside of texas as well as those in texas. My Probation supervisor is letting me travel for interviews outside of texas but my real fear is the interstate compact.

I was told it can take on average two months to get the interstate transfer approved and in place. The problem is that there is now way a company will hire me if i tell them i can work until 2 months after they make the job offer. ( i am being positive about them being cool with my deferred adjudication **wishful thinking***)

So is there anything that anyone knows about that would allow me to reach some kind of arrangement where i would be allowed to work in Iowa while the transfer process is being done? It just doesn't seem fair that no one can look for work outside their own state. I cant be the first person in texas in this situation. Can anyone offer me some hope.

I have already been turned down by the major educational testing company in texas and and relying on the ones outside of texas so i can work in my field.

ON a different note my probation supervisor said that she will review my case with her supervisor and let me know if they would oppose my early release from probation. Even if they don't oppose it i am told it will take about 2 months as well. Either way it seems that not only do i have to deal with potential employers not wanting me because of my past mistake but i may not be offered a job because i cant move fast enough.

Please tell me there is some hope for me!

Suppression

Mark2008
03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I confronted the same sort of issues when I was on probation. It's one of the prices you pay in the legal system.

You could:

1) Simply wait until the probation period is complete and then start up your search.

2) Not tell anyone (employers) about the probation and if you get an offer, then talk to the PO and explain. If she won't work with you for a speedy transfer, then you have to decide what is more important: take the job, leave and hope they don't find out or pass on the job offer.

At this point, you are worrying about something that may never happen anyway. So keep plugging along, but don't lose too much sleep about it.

random.dude123
03-27-2009, 02:32 AM
I am in a very similar situation where I have 3-6 months out of state contracts. I was allowed to leave CO with a 7 day travel permit and a submitted transfer packet. I did not have to return after the 7 days because the "review" by GA started within that 7 days. I was warned that I may have to return if my application is denied, but I will cross that bridge when I get there ;)

Cheers

cornered
03-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Since I got out in '07 I have had four offers to work out of state. All but one would be transiting back to Colorado, so a IC transfer won't work. The other one, I would beg for a chance to take, but it's on a geophys ship in Panama. And had I took that, right now I'd be sunning myself on deck in the Phillipenes.

You'd think that'd be ideal. Get me the hell out of here. All my fines and fees are paid. Get me the hell out! But they don't want to. They would rather hold on and drag me under.

Daywalker
03-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I confronted the same sort of issues when I was on probation. It's one of the prices you pay in the legal system.

You could:

1) Simply wait until the probation period is complete and then start up your search.

2) Not tell anyone (employers) about the probation and if you get an offer, then talk to the PO and explain. If she won't work with you for a speedy transfer, then you have to decide what is more important: take the job, leave and hope they don't find out or pass on the job offer.

At this point, you are worrying about something that may never happen anyway. So keep plugging along, but don't lose too much sleep about it.

I would highly suggest NOT taking option two - that is what landed my husband in TDC for 2 years. He intially moved to OK BEFORE he was sentenced, his attorney conveniently "forgot" to tell the court, and he was given probation in TX. A friend gave him a job and a place to stay, and then said friend moved employment and housing to OK, where he started from in the first place. He left TX and immediately notified his PO of what had happened, and he NEVER missed an appt, his PO flat out lied to him and told him that OK denied his interstate compact request, when it was never filed. So he violated and was sent to prison. There were some other circumstances, but I would highly suggest NOT leaving the state without that paperwork in hand if you are on probation or parole.

As far as time goes, there is such a thing as an emergency request that can be filed with the receiving state and you can have an answer back in as little as 72 hours. You do need to have employment, or a family member to go to, so if you get a bonafide offer of employment, and your prospective employer can put that in writing, your officer can ask for that from the receiving state. The regular way, yes, TX will make the request, and the receiving state is supposed to answer it within 30 days. However, we just now completed our request for his transfer back to Oklahoma, and we started it in mid-December.

LJHope_04
03-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I know ALL about Williamson County! I live here myself and they are the worst. I had to pay a lawyer $1500 JUST to take my case in Williamson! It was a small misdemeanor drug case but it was treated like a felony. sheesh!
I can tell you one thing.... When I was on probation here in Williamson I had come from Dallas and I was pregnant. I wanted to be off probation before I had the baby just to make myself feel better! Anyway, I paid all fees and everything off and then asked the PO about early release and told him everything was paid in full. By the next month I was released and off probation. He said that #1 I tested negative through out the probation on all tests and I was paid off in full. Williamson County wants their money and you can get more things done when you are paid off.

Suppression
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
LJHope 04 Reading your message was a great relief! I did get the job offer and they are willing to work with me on a late start date to give me time to work out the early release or transfer paperwork.

I had less than a gram of meth and they were assholes about it. charged me with a felony! I have never tested dirty and am up to date on my payments. My Supervisor told to wait off on paying the remiander of my fees to see if they would deny my early release. I am hopeing and praying to put this nightmare behind me.

I just have no faith in them seeing all the good I have accomplished since this incident.

cornered
04-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Got another job offer yesterday afternoon- Yukon territories.

Damn.