View Full Version : Release to CCC/Halfway House Questions

RAM
12-31-2003, 01:42 PM
MY HUSBAND WILL BE RELEASED TO FINISH HIS SIX MONTHS HALF WAY HOUSE. HE SAYS THEY WILL EITHER SEND HIM ON THE GRAY HOUND OR COULD SEND HIM BY PLANE.

MY QUESTION IS HOW CAN HE BOARD A PLANE? THE ONLY ID HE HAS IS THE CAMP ID WITH HIS NAME AND DOB?

HE SEEMS TO THINK HE CAN. JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE KNEW. I GUESS I COULD CALL THE AIRLINES AND FIND OUT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE IF SOMEONE DOES HAPPEN TO KNOW.

greyghost
12-31-2003, 01:45 PM
The Airlines will accept his BOP ID as an official ID. Additionally, if his Driver's License is not already at his institution, he can have it sent in to his Case Manager or his Correctional Counselor. If he would prefer that no one know that he is an 'ex-inmate' then I would suggest that he have his driver's license sent in if it is not already there.

Greyghost

kintml2u
12-31-2003, 01:53 PM
He will be released...and can walk himeself to the half-way house (CCC).

Does he have to pay for the plane ticket to get back to the area he started at? Or, since the BOP, often times, takes them so far away...does it go on there bill?

Just curious here.....

Diane

greyghost
12-31-2003, 09:55 PM
In my experience what the BOP does in a situation like this is the inmate will have to pay the difference in cost from the bus ticket (that the BOP would have purchased) to the airplane ticket.

In other words, if the bus ticket costs $100 and the plane ticket $250, then the inmate will have to make up the difference of $150.

Does that make any sense?

Greyghost

kintml2u
12-31-2003, 10:11 PM
Yes...thank you greyghost...this does make sense.

I'm also assuming...its much cheaper for them to handle it this way...then use "con-air" to transport them back to a closer facility before the release happens.

If it is within range....are family members or friends allowed to make this transport...from institution to CCC?

BTW...Happy New Year! (almost)

Diane

greyghost
12-31-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by kintml2u

If it is within range....are family members or friends allowed to make this transport...from institution to CCC?

Yes. This is quite common. In the institutions where I have worked it was totally up to the inmate. He had a choice of bus or family.

Surprisingly enough many used the bus. They didn't want to 'inconvenience' their famiy/friends. - Go figure - If it was my family member in prison, I would stop whatever to be there for them. Especially for a spouse, parent, or child.

Almost Happy New Year. I'm at home celebrating with a sick family. Flu/Cold seems to have hit home this past two weeks.

Greyghost

kintml2u
12-31-2003, 10:46 PM
And those who have family and friends to support them throughout their sentence...I can't see it as being an inconvenience! There would be nothing to stop me!

Sorry to hear about the sick family! Good luck to all...after a straight month with the cold.....then into the flu...I had to go get antibiotics! Hope everyone fells better soon!

Diane

RAM
01-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks Guys for the info.

ImissRick
01-02-2004, 02:01 PM
Happy new year to all. Let's hope for a healthy one! I too am interested in the transport thing to CCC placement. I was told by my boyfriend that I will be able to transport him to the halfway house if that is what ends up happening. His unit team has made a recommendation for his last two months to be done at home with a bracelet (which I have never heard of). His projected release date is 8/6/04, transfer to CCC-Placement on 7/2/04 and on 6/2/04 once he completes the drug rehab. class. They told him it would take 4-6 weeks to get an answer to the recommendation. He was told that because he has a home to go to and a job waiting, he would be considered for this option. I think it's great, but aren't there many others out there that get sent to half-way houses when they too have homes to go to? If anyone can tell me more about the "bracelet", I would appreciate it!

greyghost
01-02-2004, 02:32 PM
I am totally unfamilar with this bracelet thing???? Never heard of it. At least from the BOP side of things. When an inmate goes to home confinement after serving his sentence, electronic monitoring has nothing to do with it. I think someone is getting their info confused with something else.

I just don't know.

Sounds odd to me.

ImissRick
01-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Thanks Greyghost,
Sounds odd to me too. Maybe the electronic monitoring device is the bracelet? Anyway, he is serving his 12 month sentence at FCI Raybrook in NY and it sounds like they are suggesting an alternative to transferring him to the half way house in Portland, Maine. He never used the word "home confinement" though, just two months on a bracelet? They explained to him that CCC placement is used to acclimate inmates back into society and because he has a home, 3 sons, and a job waiting, that they would make this recommendation. They mentioned something about him having to be home b/t 9 pm and 6 am each day. Wish I knew more and certainly am wishing that there is some truth to what the BOP reps. are sharing with him. I appreciate your time.

jft
01-02-2004, 04:11 PM
The bracelet is an ankle bracelet and yes it is the electronic monitoring device. Used for home confinement.
Hubby will have 6 mos home confinement with an ankle bracelet (and it does come with a daily charge of course)

jft
01-02-2004, 04:15 PM
Many times if you do have a job waiting, a home to go to, etc they will release you from the halfway house to home confinement and yes you do have rules on where you are that MUST be followed. You have to give the p.o. a schedule on where you will be and when, you cannot stop even to get gas without letting the p.o. know you're whereabouts first. You must pay for both the bracelet (between $1.00 and $5.00 a day here) and you MUST also still pay for your bed space at the halfway house which is typically 25% of your income (this is to keep your bed open incase you screw up at home and they decide to put you back in the halfway house)

ImissRick
01-02-2004, 04:37 PM
Thank you for your reply jft. Are you telling me that your hubby will have 6 months on the bracelet? If that is what I understood...good luck to you guys. When will it start? Please feel free to PM me. Wow...that's quite a fee....roughly $150.00/month plus the 25% of your income. Well, we will make it work! When you say "they will release you from halfway house to home", does that mean that my boyfriend would have to first go to the halfway house or will he be able to transport straight home to "home confinement"? Gosh, I really hope we can avoid that step. I really appreciate your response to me.

jft
01-02-2004, 04:44 PM
He has as part of his sentence 6 mos of home confinement..but.....he will be eligible tho for his halfway house next month. (his total halfway house is approx 6 weeks)
He was told by his p.o. that the first week of CCC is mandatory to be physically in the halfway house because they work with the inmates on reintegration into society. It is possible to be released to home thereafter but on home confinement with the bracelet. and then come the fees

jft
01-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Hubby does NOT have to pay for 6 mos of CCC...only for the time he would be in a halfway house which is about 6 weeks.

The other 6 mos is part of his sentence, he only has to pay for the ankle bracelet on that part of it.

ImissRick
01-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Well, next month....that's great. I hope the halfway house is nearby your home. Good luck to you. I will keep you two in my thoughts. Again, thanks for clarification on the bracelet thing. I just hope the recommendation goes through. Keeping the faith!

jft
01-02-2004, 05:07 PM
the big thing for your boyfriend is the fact that he has a job...that makes a huge difference. Most going to a halfway house do not have jobs and they are required to be looking for one while they are there. This is part of the reintegration thing. Since yours, like mine already has one, there is really not a lot of need to be there.

kintml2u
01-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Are they given a certain amout of time....after reaching the CCC/Halfway house to find employment?

If so...how long before the are violated and would they possibly be sent back inside?

Its said aften...and I know as well from my emplyment....the amout who are turned away because they have something on there record. And with a big company such as the one I work for...I also know there are some that the company lets in. But its all pick and choose and has no rythm or reason to it!

jft
01-03-2004, 09:05 AM
I don't think they can send anyone back if they do not find a job as long as they are truely looking for employment. I will check for sure tho.
Hubby took a class where his p.o. came to the camp and answered all questions on that order so maybe he knows.

ExBOPer
01-03-2004, 08:54 PM
You have to seek employment continuosly if their is no medical reson not to. As long as that is done, nobody gets sent back. However, weekend passes are not available until a job is secured.

patience
01-04-2004, 10:01 PM
In CA, getting to halfway house from a Camp, is by bus. Family used to be able to pick up an inmate, but that changed at our camp in 2003. Bummer.