View Full Version : SOUTH CAROLINA marriage Q&A thread

hisheartztwin
12-30-2003, 07:45 PM
The Prison Weddings Team is trying to provide inmate marriage information for all states.

As yet, the Prison Weddings team has not been able to access the Department of Corrections Rules for getting married in your state. Its our hope that you can help us with our project.

Do you have a copy of the policy/rules for getting married? If so, please post it in the thread below or let the Prison Weddings Team Member who posted this thread know where to get that information.

If you have gotten married in a correctional facility in your state, please provide the details and tell us of your experience in that same thread.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

This project can’t be successful without YOUR help! Just imagine a member wanting to get married and having all the information they need right at their fingertips here on PTO...thanks to YOU!

PTO Wedding Research Assistant

cleobc99
04-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Here is the only way I have found for South Carolina..

Rebecca Marchant <rmarchant@dorchestercounty.net>
Subject: Marriage License

Dorchester County Probate Court does issue license forinmates. However, you will need to come into our office with all of hispertinent information. We will need a letter from the facility in whichhe is presently incarcerated stating that they consent to such marriage. Wewill need his photo ID and inmate number. You will need to know hissocial security number, date of birth, address, and the number of thismarriage.

Once you have this information and the same information foryou as well, excepting however, the facility letter, come into our office with$40.00 cash only and fill out the application. Once that is completed,you will need to send the documents to your finance for him to signpersonally. Once you have received those back please send them to us andyou will then have 24 hours before we may issue a marriage license.

If you should have any questions please feel free to contactme directly at 832-0253 or email.

Thanks

Rebecca K. Marchant

Paul'sGirl
06-20-2005, 11:46 AM
From what I can tell there's no way to get married in the state of Suoth Carolina unless BOTH parties are there to apply for the license. In Edgefield County they (probate court) say that the ony way they will issue a license is if someone from that facility brings your loved one in to fill out the papers. What a joke........

Paul'sGirl
07-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I know there have been a lot of women wishing to get married in South Carolina and have been having bad luck. Most counties in South Carolina won't issue a license unless both parties are present to do the paperwork. What a joke!:angry: However, I received a message from a PTO member by the name of Time rider and she informed me that there is a way. You'll have to go throught Probate Court in Myrtle Beach, SC. The number you need to use for information is (843) 915-5370 and you'll need to ask for Debbie Richardson. If you can't call you can go to HorryCounty.org and download the proper forms. The cost is $75.00 for state residents and the license is good throughout South Carolina. Let's all thank Time rider.......:thumbsup: :clap:

shorty's girl
09-06-2006, 05:21 AM
my boyfriend is at a prison in ridgeville south carolina and him and i have discuss about getting marry ,but not sure what to do first or how to go about getting it done . please help . thanks bunches!!!!!!

2nice
09-06-2006, 06:49 AM
I know there have been a lot of women wishing to get married in South Carolina and have been having bad luck. Most counties in South Carolina won't issue a license unless both parties are present to do the paperwork. What a joke!:angry: However, I received a message from a PTO member by the name of Time rider and she informed me that there is a way. You'll have to go throught Probate Court in Myrtle Beach, SC. The number you need to use for information is (843) 915-5370 and you'll need to ask for Debbie Richardson. If you can't call you can go to HorryCounty.org and download the proper forms. The cost is $75.00 for state residents and the license is good throughout South Carolina. Let's all thank Time rider.......:thumbsup: :clap:

Thanks for that information! :thumbsup: Im gonna check it out. :)

For those who wanna download the forms, here's the full web address:
http://www.horrycounty.org/probatecourt/marriage.asp
It too me a minute to find it!! :o So i thought i'd extend the help that Paul'sGirl has given.

2nice
09-06-2006, 07:02 AM
This may sound like a really silly question, but what is a 'Notary Public'? Is it a lawyer or something?

shorty's girl
09-07-2006, 12:33 PM
dorchester county does not issue marraige licensce unless both parties are present. is there any other way to get this done without having both parties present please let me know.

Wanting Chester
02-10-2007, 12:41 PM
If someone has already gotten married while there mate is in the system, please let me know. My fiancee and I want to get married. He doesnt get out until Nov.10, 2007, but we want to get marreid as soon as possible. So if anyone knows how we can please tell me. I cant wait till Nov and neither can he

Itamedthelion
05-04-2007, 05:00 PM
you can get married, you just have to have the marriage license and an affidavit, from debbie richardson (as stated above) then you usually have to do it in the mail. good luck

tamnjay
01-23-2008, 02:54 AM
excuse me what do you mean in the mail ? i got everything else but a little lost there help im trying to get married

Itamedthelion
01-23-2008, 07:49 AM
OK, in the state of south carolina, you have to have an affidavit from the court house from the county clerk (which right now is horry county-it frequently changes cause when we first got engaged it was dorchester county) and you also have to have an application for marriage.

The affidavit is filled out by an officer at the prison, while the mail clerk (or whoever is the notary republic) watches, then signs it and will stamp it.

The application has to be signed by your fiance and then notarized by the notary. When you get it back, get your portion notarized as well.

Its not very complicated, just there are a lot of steps. So if anyone has any questions, feel free to pm me. I was married on 6-7-7! And I went through all the steps.

I just wish now i could see him!! :(

tamnjay
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
ok i get everything you stated i called the chaplin this morning and just the way that he talked to me was just creepy he said they advise against it strongly but the only way that it could happen is if the minster was on his visiting list so the part about what you were saying the officer filling out the affidavit and the notary public signing off on the paper work i think thats where i would run into problems at but im up for the challenge and if i had not said so eariler i really appreicate all the info your providing it may not seem like much but it means alot im very grateful

loulou97
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Does the inmate have to have a copy of his birth certificate to get married?

tamnjay
01-24-2008, 03:48 AM
And the contact person at the horry county probate court is no longer debbie richardson she no longer works there .I spoke to a woman by the name of linda i guess she handles things now very friendly ill be sure to at least post her full name the telephone number is the same

titiqueen4eva
01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I got married recently.My husband is in a Federal Prison so if anyone needs any help or has any questions I am willing to help.Believe me I went thru 2 years of fighting them and hell to get it done but it can be done you just gotta know how to do it.So if I can be of any help just ask.All I can say about South Carolina is give it up there is NO WAY. I even wrote the senator and raised hell.You can't do it.So we had to get him transfered just to do it and still had hell but we did it and it is worth it in the end;)

sweetnsassy_295
04-03-2009, 02:49 AM
I was just wondering. A friend of mine got married 2 years ago while her husband was incarcerated. She got the marriage license from Horry County, had it notarized, and filed all the necessary paperwork. Today she had to call Columbia and was referred to the Atty Generals office. They told her that her marriage was not recognized. They told her that it wasnt legal. Any ideas on this? thanks

redwtblue
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I had all the necessary paperwork for the license. I mean every thing. I sent it to the probate court with the fees. A few days later I received a rejection letter saying that Mrs?? (at the moment cannot remember her name) but apparently is the Wardens secretary )at SCDC said they do not allow marriages. Now we didn't ask SCDC for anything. NOt the time to get married, nothing. We wanted to get the license and would have gotten married very privately at our table during visit. Now I understand that SCDC policy is they will help nor hinder. However they hindered.

sassynesss
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
how easy or hard is it to marry in a county is south carolina? what do i need to do?

mathiswife
11-05-2009, 09:40 AM
My fiance and I have been wondering forever how to go about the marriage thing. Thanks for the help.

sheilaturman
04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
I would be interested in knowing if I can still apply to get married while my fiance is incarcerated in a S.C. prison. In Columbia. I dont mind driving anywhere if we could get married after we have all the necessary paper work done. Can someone update me on anything you have on getting married to an inmate at a SCDC prison. Thank you all.

Jessie&Marley
10-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this?? When we called the chaplin they said they don't do it anymore, but other people have where he is at??

flores83
10-25-2010, 08:05 PM
what are the procedures to get married with an inmate in the state of south carolina? someone pls help

Oldschoolbrat
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
would like any info on how to get married while your man is in the scdc system?

sexoffenderwife
02-25-2011, 02:31 PM
1. Did you have any counsling - No

2. How long did the whole process take - About 3 months

3. Did you have to find your own minister - yes, but my husband was able to ask around and found another inmate who had a recommendation

4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
No, but my husband was allowed to request up to 5 photos for $2 each. We purchased a couple.

5. How many guests were allowed to be there
2 witnesses

6. What was the process to get the marriage license
Downloaded the form from the county, filled it out, had my husband fill out paperwork through his case worker (notarized to confirm his identity), took all papers into the county clerk and submitted them with a check

7. What were the costs you had to pay
Pastor $150, Marriage license $50

8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
I wore a dress that fitted all prison visitor dress code requirements. He wore standard prison attire (although his friends all chipped in and gave him the "best" shoes and pants)

9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit
No gem stones, I brought it in for him

michellvsu
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I am getting married next year at FCI Williamsburg in South Carolina. I read a post the other day of someone just getting married there in April. If anyone has done so please contact me. I would like to find out details so I can be prepared. Well that's if it gets approved. Please keep us in your prayers and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

relpurviswifey
03-05-2012, 06:27 AM
I have contacted every county in south Carolina trying to get a marriage license for my. Finance and myself. None will provide one. Now I'm wondering is it possible to get a lawyer to step in and do the process for us. Getting married wouldn't be an issue because we have ministers in out family that will do it. I just need the license. Has anyone went thru the process of using a lawyer. If so please respond....ill do anything to get this license...

GiMillz4159
05-12-2013, 12:45 AM
I have contacted every county in south Carolina trying to get a marriage license for my. Finance and myself. None will provide one. Now I'm wondering is it possible to get a lawyer to step in and do the process for us. Getting married wouldn't be an issue because we have ministers in out family that will do it. I just need the license. Has anyone went thru the process of using a lawyer. If so please respond....ill do anything to get this license...

This is what Im trying to figure out too, I heard you could use a family court lawyer, bt I am not sure

Hunterbr47
12-26-2014, 12:54 AM
My fiancée and I want to get married but all I can find is negative information on the subject for South Carolina. Is there any new information? He thinks that privilege has been granted but I can't find any verification. Please help if you know anything.

Hunterbr47
12-26-2014, 01:01 AM

Did you find out any information on getting married in sc? This is tearing me apart!

safran
12-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Are you having a hard time getting the prison to help or having a hard time getting a license? If it's the 2nd problem I have some tips.

Is this in a state prison or a federal prison within SC?

feefee77
02-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Are you having a hard time getting the prison to help or having a hard time getting a license? If it's the 2nd problem I have some tips.

Is this in a state prison or a federal prison within SC?

I need help having a hard time getting a license. Horry county no longer offers marriage licenseor prisoners. They stopped it 2015 January first of the year. My fiance is in a federal prison in edge field.

feefee77
02-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Need help anyone who knows how to go about getting marriage license in Sc. Horry county no longer does it.

feefee77
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM

Did you ever find out about using a lawyer???

MrsHickson
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
I need help having a hard time getting a license. Horry county no longer offers marriage licenseor prisoners. They stopped it 2015 January first of the year. My fiance is in a federal prison in edge field.

Hey I am having the same problem also. I called today to Horry County only to find out they stop in Jan. The woman told me to call all 46 county courthouses. That's a lot of calling but I'm going to do. My fiancé is at FCI Williamsburg. Have you been able to find out anything yet on where to get the license from? Please let me know if you don't mind!!!

Mometc
03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Does anyone have any updated information? I would love to get married ASAP. It feels so unfair that they don't allow this any longer. :(

choclgs
03-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Does anyone have any updated information? I would love to get married ASAP. It feels so unfair that they don't allow this any longer. :(

You're not able to a obtain marriage license in SC because both parties must be present. Also the DOC does not allow marriage ceremonies during visitation.

Mometc
04-01-2015, 08:43 AM
You're not able to a obtain marriage license in SC because both parties must be present. Also the DOC does not allow marriage ceremonies during visitation.

Would it matter if I have legal POA? I know in some states they'll take that.

choclgs
04-01-2015, 03:51 PM
Would it matter if I have legal POA? I know in some states they'll take that.

POA doesn't matter. You cannot obtain a valid marriage license in SC without both parties being present.

Sirod9115
09-20-2015, 02:06 PM
I am just starting the process of trying to figure out how to get married in Dorchester county. Anyone have any luck? I am not a resident of SC, is obtaining a license in my state possible/acceptable?

DJ4eva
03-02-2017, 01:38 AM
I was really hoping to find a court that would marry my fiancee and I. As long as it's in the state of SC it's fine however finding one that will wed us with only one party present. That is my problem at this time. Does anyone know of a court. I have not checked them all but got overwhelmed as they get farther away.

fbopnomore
03-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you find a way to get married there, so keep trying.

patchouli
03-02-2017, 06:04 AM
If he's in prison, the first step is to get permission from the Warden to get married. A Marriage License is only good for 30 days and the entire process may take longer than that....Good Luck!

Welcome to PTO :)

choclgs
03-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Marriages are not permitted within South Carolina state prisons. You have to seek measures outside of the state (acquiring a marriage license and completing the process).

patchouli
03-02-2017, 06:35 AM
choclgs, what are "measures outside of the state" :hmm: SC doesn't do proxy either, do they?

choclgs
03-02-2017, 03:48 PM
There's member who shared her experience a few months ago.

Here's the forum post and her explanation:

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695461

Toshalynn
04-17-2017, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know how to get a marriage license without both of us being present. I've called everywhere and they said I'd probably have to hire an attorney.

choclgs
04-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Does anyone know how to get a marriage license without both of us being present. I've called everywhere and they said I'd probably have to hire an attorney.

You cannot obtain a marriage license in South Carolina without both parties being present. Another member was able to get married by proxy by going out of state. http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695461