View Full Version : Please help me understand Gurney Prison Unit TX

missnmeyeson
03-16-2009, 06:13 AM
My son was just transferred from county to the Gurney unit. He was there about three weeks and finished classification. He was assigned a job on the "hoe squad". B/c he was assigned a job, does this mean he will be at this unit for a while? I am so worried for him. This is his first (and hopefully last) time in prison. He is up for his first parole April 5th. Can anyone give me any advice to share with him? Thanks to all. I am still trying to figure out how to be on the TDCJ/Gurney message board and hopefully make some friends/support from other people who have loved ones in this unit. :(

Kay
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
All offenders who are able to work are assigned a job. They may never get to work a day but they receive work time credit anyway and it doesn't mean he will be at a unit for a while. He can be at Gurney for up to 2 years but most are sent on to another unit. My son was there about 3 weeks and was then moved so you might be watching the inmate locater to see if they move him. The best advice I can give you for your son is to tell him to mind his own business, avoid gang activity, don't borrow and don't lend to other offenders and follow all the rules. If he is approached with an offer to join a gang for protection or any other reason tell him to politely refuse and tell them he is there to do his time and go home. I know it is scary for you and him but hopefully he will get settled in and make his first parole. You can find some good info on parole packets etc in the TX Parole Forum here on prison talk. Let us know how things are going and if you need more help just ask and hopefully someone will be able to help you. I hope this helps you.

juju1959
03-16-2009, 12:12 PM
hi my sweetie is in gurney and has been for 10 months. will be glad to help with any questions we can help with. stay positive and God is in control.

missnmeyeson
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks Juju, I sure could use the support. My son is sadly only 20, but way too nice and on the naieve side. Oops don't think I spelled that correct ...Glad to have made a friend on here. With God's grace he'll be home soon.:o

missnmeyeson
03-16-2009, 01:45 PM
All offenders who are able to work are assigned a job. They may never get to work a day but they receive work time credit anyway and it doesn't mean he will be at a unit for a while. He can be at Gurney for up to 2 years but most are sent on to another unit. My son was there about 3 weeks and was then moved so you might be watching the inmate locater to see if they move him. The best advice I can give you for your son is to tell him to mind his own business, avoid gang activity, don't borrow and don't lend to other offenders and follow all the rules. If he is approached with an offer to join a gang for protection or any other reason tell him to politely refuse and tell them he is there to do his time and go home. I know it is scary for you and him but hopefully he will get settled in and make his first parole. You can find some good info on parole packets etc in the TX Parole Forum here on prison talk. Let us know how things are going and if you need more help just ask and hopefully someone will be able to help you. I hope this helps you.
Thanks KatyBee, will write him and forward your advice. Hope your son is okay, and will say prayers for him . Thank you for taking the time to respond and offer some support, it's been so over whelming. God Bless you.

aaa4playin
03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
I was on the Gurney Unit for 9 months. I was never approached by any gangs. Actually Sgt. Castro there is the Safe Prisons officer and he stays on top of his game there. Tell your son that there are people there that are going down for 10-20-30 yrs...those are the ones not to get involved with. They will try to fight you just to mess up your parole. Follow all the rules. I'm not sure if you have sent in parole supports letters to the parole office in Palestine...5 or 6 will do. My parole officer now told me that really helped me get out early, because d.w.i offenders are suppose to do all their time now days.
Yes, everyone receives a job there. i was in laundry for 7 months and moved to a trustee for 2 months. I knew of people who spend two full years there and then where transferred off. You can find out almost a month in advance if he made parole. You just have to spend the time on the phone and writing letters.
Just tell your son to stay cool in there. if he has to be called out for a fight...tell him to just stay in the middle of the day room where the guards can easily look in. I got called out several times. and i made the decision to stay calm and say that i'm not going to mess up my record on this unit for you. walk away.
Gurney isn't all that bad. it was the first time i was locked up and it was hard on me to be away from my family. I got out about a month after the state-wide lockdown over the cellphones. tell him to keep his head up and stay out of trouble. and you need to keep your head up. he is in god's hands.

missnmeyeson
03-17-2009, 05:47 AM
thanks aaa4playin! I am going to continue a letter to him today. He's been so scared. My son is rather on the overly nice side and trusts people too much. Your information is greatly appreciated, hopefully he will heed your advice. I sent out parole letters to the board, around 15. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to send my son copies of these letters? Or could they get in the wrong hands in the unit? Just want to be sure before I send them. HOpe you see this and can respond. God Bless you for your help.

GraysonMom
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
thanks aaa4playin! I am going to continue a letter to him today. He's been so scared. My son is rather on the overly nice side and trusts people too much. Your information is greatly appreciated, hopefully he will heed your advice. I sent out parole letters to the board, around 15. Was wondering if it would be a good idea to send my son copies of these letters? Or could they get in the wrong hands in the unit? Just want to be sure before I send them. HOpe you see this and can respond. God Bless you for your help.

I sent my son copies of the parole packet I sent to the Parole Board. The copies will be useful for him , to give to the IPO when interviewed. My son keeps his sutff in a lock-box. Hope this helps and God bless as always.

aaa4playin
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
You can send the copies to your son. i had my mom send copies to me so i know what is said. i found hope in those letters. tell your son not to say anything about parole in the dorms because all it takes is a long timer to find out and when he has a bad day in there...well you can figure out the rest. now...you are sending the letters to the palestine parole office and not the one in either austin or huntsville right? my mother was informed that those sent to the other places can get lost in the transit. if you have any questions at all about the gurney unit in tennessee colony....please ask. i just got out this past november and i can tell you just about anything you need to know. take care...he'll be home before you know it!

missnmeyeson
03-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Hi aaa4playin,

I sent you a private message. I have sent my son all the information you suggested. Thankyou, thank you... I've made some new friends on here and you all don't know how very much I appreciate the support.:o

Kay
03-19-2009, 12:54 PM
missn, you might tell your son he can write a letter to the parole board also. I think it can only help. They want to know how he plans to stay out of trouble and what his plans are once he is released. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

missnmeyeson
03-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks KatyBee. I believe he is getting a letter together, I did remind him to do so in a recent letter . I will be sure to clarify it more detailed in a letter this week. (Just havn't heard from him in a week:()
Getting his plan of action well organized for the board sounds like a really, good , sound idea. Will be sure to forward the information to him.
A special thanks to the kind people on this board, who have reached out for our family. It is truly appreciated.:o
God Bless.

aaa4playin
03-20-2009, 02:06 PM
well seems like you are doing ok. just to let you know as well as him...he will not go infront of the parole board. he won't even see or talk to them. he will go infront of an interviewer which will take notes of his appearance, odor, what he says, being polite, and anything if he has gotten any cases on that unit. tell him to be patient and polite. impress the interviewer like you would for a job. he/she will go over his entire criminal record. he/she will ask questions to see if he will lie about anything in his past. tell him to be ready. anything he told classification dept upon his arrival there could be asked. oh yeah...the parole board could get ahead and schedule him earlier than he expects. i got my parole interview about 1 1/2 months earlier than i thought. but it takes time to get a response. that will drag time by. after about 2-3 weeks of that date...you can call the palestine parole office and even the austin/ huntsville offices to see if his parole was approved. you won't be able to know a date until 1 month before he is released. like i said before...letter writing and phone calls will come into play. make sure that he knows that after his parole hearing he can not get into any trouble, no cases, nothing...walk a thin but str8 line. a granted parole can be changed at any time. if you have any questions...please get asked them.:)

aaa4playin
03-20-2009, 03:42 PM
missnmeyeson did you get a private message from me today? i may have messed up sending it. i hope it went thru. it was about parole, classes, lockdowns. talk at you soon.

momwams
04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Can you tell me about the gurney unit in tennessee colony? I have a first timer loved one who was just sent there...Also, how do you do a private post? Thank you!!

Waynes Wife1975
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Hello, my husband was sent to Gurney a couple of months ago and what i was wondering about is the parole support letters you wrote about. What are these?

cexycheryl
05-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Did your son get paroled?:)

GraysonMom
05-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Hello, my husband was sent to Gurney a couple of months ago and what i was wondering about is the parole support letters you wrote about. What are these?

Wayne's Wife, Sorry we didn't see your question. Here is a link that explains the parole support letter. Hope this helps and blessings as always. http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4625444#post4625444

rodeointx
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM
one thing i would like to add, in your support letters if you could build a portfolio on loved one and show he does have a life outside of prison it would help as well. i am in the process of completing my husbands packet. i made the portfolio and got about 8 letters. i think he should be home by next march at the latest. gurney has not been bad the only thing my hunny complains about is life in the dorms. other than that its ok.

Sisson43
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
This is all new to me I do not even know how to find what I am looking for My husband went ot Gurney unit April 16 how long will it be before i can see him the last letter i got from him he still had not gotten classification how long does it take? If any one knows please help Thanks

GraysonMom
05-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Sisson43, the intake process normally takes 3-4 weeks. When my son left County, he was sent to Gurney x 1 night. Then to Huntsville x 1 night and finally ended up at Bradshaw. It took 4 Weeks for me to get a letter from him and he was in Bradshaw by then. If you've already received a letter that is great. But I would say about 4 weeks or so until you can see him. You can call Gurney and ask them. Gurney is a transfer unit and he may not stay there, but some do..you never really know where they'll send them. If you need anymore information just post it and everyone is really good about helping. Hang in there, the first month was the hardest for me. Once he got settled in a unit, it was so much better. Keep us posted and Blessings as always.

manuelslady
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
can anyone tell me about the process and anything else in gurney and what i should write to the parole board please anything will help

GraysonMom
05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
can anyone tell me about the process and anything else in gurney and what i should write to the parole board please anything will help

Hi and Welcome to the Texas Forum. You've found a great site for information, support and plenty of caring people. We are glad you joined us. The parole packet is something you make yourself. It basically consists of support letters from you, family members, people in the community, ex-employers, etc. Certificates he may earn while in prison (he'll have to send you a copy of these). Also a letter from him taking responsibility for his actions and how he has changed. Here is a link there are three stickys at the top of the page with an example of a support packet. Hope this helps and Welcome again.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=594

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286617&page=4

retired-37
05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
I was at Gurney only a couple of days during a transfer from Bradshaw to another unit. I was actually impressed at the cleanliness of the whole place. Everything was consistent and on schedule. And the food, oh my god, it was soooooooooooooo good!!..............compared to Bradshaw anyway; and, there was a lot of it. For the first time in almost 18 months' I was able to choose my food in a 'buffet style' setting...........including hot peppers grown on the unit farm instead of those 'cheesy' commissary jalapenos. I know this probobly sounds ridiculous to some of you guys out there, but eating miniscule portions of processed, unhealthy food 'day in, day out' made me appreciate the fresh produce and properly prepared food at Gurney. I don't want to detract from the other serious issues that can happen in a prison unit; however, please note that compared to Bradshaw and other places, Gurney was a fair place. I remember at Bradshaw, some mornings, we were fed dry dreakfast cereal with water(not milk}....sometimes twice a week. I have a lot of axes to grind with TDCJ. But, Gurney ain't one of them:thumbsup:

panda_hughes
05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
That's good to know... my husband is at Gurney. He eats staples he gets from the commissary because he doesn't want to put up with the BS that goes on down at the chow hall. I'm just worried he's going to be up and transfered any time, and then I'll have to worry a few days until I find him again!

retired-37
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
That's good to know... my husband is at Gurney. He eats staples he gets from the commissary because he doesn't want to put up with the BS that goes on down at the chow hall. I'm just worried he's going to be up and transfered any time, and then I'll have to worry a few days until I find him again!
Hi Panda,

I hope his time in the system is short. And, I wish you both all the best!! ................andy:thumbsup:

KarKakes
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Would like to know more about this. What and who do you send parole letters too, and what do you need to say, what information needs to be in them? What is a parole packet? This is all new, and am just lost. His first parole hearing is scheduled for November, so when does this all need to go in? Sorry for my Nubeness, but am extremely lost regarding all that goes on etc.

Thank you,
Kat

sdavis0303
07-05-2009, 10:11 PM
You can send the copies to your son. i had my mom send copies to me so i know what is said. i found hope in those letters. tell your son not to say anything about parole in the dorms because all it takes is a long timer to find out and when he has a bad day in there...well you can figure out the rest. now...you are sending the letters to the palestine parole office and not the one in either austin or huntsville right? my mother was informed that those sent to the other places can get lost in the transit. if you have any questions at all about the gurney unit in tennessee colony....please ask. i just got out this past november and i can tell you just about anything you need to know. take care...he'll be home before you know it!

my husband will be transferred to Gurney this week - first time in prison...dont know where to start on a parole packet...i have read all the samples...but still nervous that i am gonna screw something up, aand i go blank...

sdavis0303
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
My son was just transferred from county to the Gurney unit. He was there about three weeks and finished classification. He was assigned a job on the "hoe squad". B/c he was assigned a job, does this mean he will be at this unit for a while? I am so worried for him. This is his first (and hopefully last) time in prison. He is up for his first parole April 5th. Can anyone give me any advice to share with him? Thanks to all. I am still trying to figure out how to be on the TDCJ/Gurney message board and hopefully make some friends/support from other people who have loved ones in this unit. :(

My husband just got transferred there on 7-24-09...i know nothing about gurney at all...if u do....lemme know please

sdavis0303
07-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I was at Gurney only a couple of days during a transfer from Bradshaw to another unit. I was actually impressed at the cleanliness of the whole place. Everything was consistent and on schedule. And the food, oh my god, it was soooooooooooooo good!!..............compared to Bradshaw anyway; and, there was a lot of it. For the first time in almost 18 months' I was able to choose my food in a 'buffet style' setting...........including hot peppers grown on the unit farm instead of those 'cheesy' commissary jalapenos. I know this probobly sounds ridiculous to some of you guys out there, but eating miniscule portions of processed, unhealthy food 'day in, day out' made me appreciate the fresh produce and properly prepared food at Gurney. I don't want to detract from the other serious issues that can happen in a prison unit; however, please note that compared to Bradshaw and other places, Gurney was a fair place. I remember at Bradshaw, some mornings, we were fed dry dreakfast cereal with water(not milk}....sometimes twice a week. I have a lot of axes to grind with TDCJ. But, Gurney ain't one of them:thumbsup:
i use to work at bradshaw...i agree it was dirty and the food was SLOP...we had the option of eating it also...which i tried once..never again...it was just awful there...my husband is at gurney so good to hear it is better than bradshaw..i was worried it was gonna be like bradshaw...do they get fans there at gurney?

axumhenderson
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Hello aaa4paying can you tell me a little about this unit my husband was transferred there on 07/31/09....... Yes just a few days ago! And I am so worried about him...... How long is it before we can receive calls? And how long before he can get to commissary to write me a letter? He first parole review is 12/25/09 does this mean he will be reviewed by the parole board? And should I be getting a parole packet together for him now? Please help I am so worried about him! Thank you so much in advance!!!!!!

evedavis
08-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi i am ex offender and i worked in agseg, at the gurney unit and your son is a first offender it is open season on him. All of the gangs first and foremost is tongo blast and they are recruiting the most members right now in TDCJ, expecially on the gurney unit. If he gets transferred to any other unit he has got to walk in with affiliation or be able to fight his ass off. What you need to do right now is contact the warden of the unit and let them know you are aware of what is taking place and you will contact the newspapers and any other affiliate to get word out of what is taking place. If your son had no tattoos when he went in and he has them when you go visit him he has been recruited and he is an official member

BethStarr
05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
I was on the Gurney Unit for 9 months. I was never approached by any gangs. Actually Sgt. Castro there is the Safe Prisons officer and he stays on top of his game there. Tell your son that there are people there that are going down for 10-20-30 yrs...those are the ones not to get involved with. They will try to fight you just to mess up your parole. Follow all the rules. I'm not sure if you have sent in parole supports letters to the parole office in Palestine...5 or 6 will do. My parole officer now told me that really helped me get out early, because d.w.i offenders are suppose to do all their time now days.
Yes, everyone receives a job there. i was in laundry for 7 months and moved to a trustee for 2 months. I knew of people who spend two full years there and then where transferred off. You can find out almost a month in advance if he made parole. You just have to spend the time on the phone and writing letters.
Just tell your son to stay cool in there. if he has to be called out for a fight...tell him to just stay in the middle of the day room where the guards can easily look in. I got called out several times. and i made the decision to stay calm and say that i'm not going to mess up my record on this unit for you. walk away.
Gurney isn't all that bad. it was the first time i was locked up and it was hard on me to be away from my family. I got out about a month after the state-wide lockdown over the cellphones. tell him to keep his head up and stay out of trouble. and you need to keep your head up. he is in god's hands.

" if he has to be called out for a fight...tell him to just stay in the middle of the day room where the guards can easily look in. I got called out several times. and i made the decision to stay calm and say that i'm not going to mess up my record on this unit for you. walk away."

What does that mean ... called out for a fight???

BethStarr
05-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Hi i am ex offender and i worked in agseg, at the gurney unit and your son is a first offender it is open season on him. All of the gangs first and foremost is tongo blast and they are recruiting the most members right now in TDCJ, expecially on the gurney unit. If he gets transferred to any other unit he has got to walk in with affiliation or be able to fight his ass off. What you need to do right now is contact the warden of the unit and let them know you are aware of what is taking place and you will contact the newspapers and any other affiliate to get word out of what is taking place. If your son had no tattoos when he went in and he has them when you go visit him he has been recruited and he is an official member

This really scared me...what does all this mean. He is not a fighter and is a short timer so any trouble can really screw up his chances of parole? How do you avoid all of the trouble part.

easttexaswife
05-04-2010, 09:11 AM
My husband just got to Gurney and his "scheduled" parole date is next May. He is a first-time offender and it is really impossible for him to repeat the crime (I mean REALLY impossible...I'm not just saying that.) It is not a violent or drug-related crime, not a severe crime at all. How soon should I send letters to the parole board, and do you have suggestions for the type of things I should say? :) I've been looking at the parole handbook on the TDJC website, but would like some first-hand information.

Hallwaywalker
05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
My husband just got to Gurney and his "scheduled" parole date is next May. He is a first-time offender and it is really impossible for him to repeat the crime (I mean REALLY impossible...I'm not just saying that.) It is not a violent or drug-related crime, not a severe crime at all. How soon should I send letters to the parole board, and do you have suggestions for the type of things I should say? :) I've been looking at the parole handbook on the TDJC website, but would like some first-hand information.

Hey there - I found the threads about parole and the process of putting together a packet super informative. You should look there - there's even a thread with examples. I've seen different ranges of time for when you should send in the packet, but I'm not really sure. The biggest thing, as I understand it, is assuring the parole board that there's a good support system in place for your husband when he returns home, so that he can remain out of trouble.

Good luck - you and your husband are in my prayers.

Socaltink
05-06-2010, 12:18 AM
i have read about the parole packets and my husband comes up for parole next may. how early do you start on theese letters and stuff to the board? and how long before his parole date do i get them to the board. some say they went up 1 1/2 months early. so when do you have them to the board? and do you send them to the unit hes at considering it is a transfer unit.

Hallwaywalker
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
i have read about the parole packets and my husband comes up for parole next may. how early do you start on theese letters and stuff to the board? and how long before his parole date do i get them to the board. some say they went up 1 1/2 months early. so when do you have them to the board? and do you send them to the unit hes at considering it is a transfer unit.

Hey Socaltink - if you look a little further upthread, you'll see two links that someone has posted to take you to the forums that have all the answers about parole packets, timing, etc.

Good luck - I am praying for you and your husband.

missnmeyeson
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
This really scared me...what does all this mean. He is not a fighter and is a short timer so any trouble can really screw up his chances of parole? How do you avoid all of the trouble part.

Hi BethStarr, wow I was just rifling through my old postings today and discovered all these responses over the past year or so. I guess when I signed up on the board I never went back and checked for more posts. (a little computer illiterate I suppose LOL) My son was on Gurney unit for 1 year. He did tell me there was alot of crazy stuff that goes on, but that he would not disclose details of these things until he comes home. He assured me he would be okay, and I just wrote him any info I could find to help him pass the days at the unit. It is very important that your loved one Keep to himself, avoid the gameroom and younger crowd. The younger ones are trouble, so he tended to associate more with the old timers. It was much safer.
Gurney is clean, they were always courteous and kind to our family. Our son was always fine otherwise, promoted quickly and was well liked by inmates and staff. If I can be of any help with this unit just pm me any time. :)