View Full Version : money for wives

lil_booneluvsu
03-08-2009, 09:00 PM
my husband is going to prison in a month and i am very worried about what is going to happen to me. my family is no help and his family is trying to help me the best they can. i have been searchign online all day to find sites about how wives that have husbands in prison can get financial help.

romantic
03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I haven't heard anything about financial help for prisoner wives... but who knows it could exist? I know that some inmates get jobs and are able to withdraw their earnings to send to family members. Sorry I couldn't be more help :[

bugsy3760
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Honestly, and no disrespect intended, if you work, and make a decent living, depending where you live, you are on your own, unlessyou have kids and can get welfare. I make 40 a year, my man made the same, we lived on that, he got locked up, no welfare, no help, I put my big girl panties on and sucked it up. He wont do this again with me. Good luck.

donutandpickle
03-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know of or think there is any places where you could get financial help just because you have a husband in prison. However without his income is there any way you would be eligible to get some other type of help as far as food stamps and things like that go? I would just start saving and try to cut out everything that is unnecessary or that you can live without (coupons also help a lot!) and if you have the time maybe try picking up another job part time or find odd jobs that you can do for money like babysitting. Good luck.

barbie16118
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
there is no money given to wives due to their husbands getting himself in trouble and going to prison . but you may be able to get a job

kreepsgirl
03-09-2009, 10:57 AM
basically the women have to deal with it on their own.

Italia082
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
basically the women have to deal with it on their own.

Lucky us. :o

Junior'sQueen
03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I haven't heard of any assistance, ever......except for Welfare. We have all been in your position with no financial help. Years ago, it was hard at first, but luckily these days my job supports me & my son with no issues. Thank God!

Good Luck to you and God Bless!

justbeth
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Even if he was on disability due to it being a felony that would even stop for the children. The family doesn't benefit when their men committ crimes.

You go apply for assistance for Social Rehabilitation Services, if you don't find a job, you find a job, SRS will help pay for childcare expenses. Go back to school if you need to.

Women do what a woman has to to get by. You pull yourself up by the bootstraps and look at your options and you deal with it. Why we worry about how to feed our children they are guaranteed three hots and a cot. Its fact.

You do what you got to do to keep on keeping on.

Prayers and thoughts are with you.

hisbigbabydoll2
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Sweetie no such assistance exists...so please take this time to better yourself....put resources into learning a skill.....that way you can support yourself for the long haul...if you have kids there may be agencies to help with childcare....if you need to find immediate work then consider working in a restaurant or something such as that...but my advice is for you to start to plan for the rest of your life including retirement (pension) and the like...All the best to you...PM me if you need more information...

LadyBell
03-10-2009, 01:37 AM
I work two jobs, working 60 hours a week and still raising a child and being a wife. I would love the extra help but I am afraid there is no help for us. I have always believed that a woman needs to depend on themselves before depending on a man. Men come and they go and believe me we can be strong and take care of ourselves without them. Good luck to you!

Janey
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Sweetie no such assistance exists...so please take this time to better yourself....put resources into learning a skill.....that way you can support yourself for the long haul...if you have kids there may be agencies to help with childcare....if you need to find immediate work then consider working in a restaurant or something such as that...but my advice is for you to start to plan for the rest of your life including retirement (pension) and the like...All the best to you...PM me if you need more information...

Just wanted to say hisbigbabydoll what a lovely supportive post that was to the OP...hope she manages to find the info she needs...good luck lil_booneluvsu :)
J

queens3
03-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Same here there no help I only make 26 a year I make 300 to much for food stamps and raising two kids and have rent and everything that goes with it.

gabbygirl372001
03-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Like the others said, there are services such as welfare, but if you can work, get out there and start applying for jobs! I have 3 jobs to pay for myself and my son who has health issues and hundreds out every month in medical expenses! (with insurance) No child support! no help from anyone or anyplace whatsoever, never had it! I have learned to cut corners, and we have made it! Beat the pavement, and get a job, you'll find something!

KimLovesJason
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
there actually IS a program that will "replace" his paychecks if he is in prison, but only prison, not county jail.

i dont agree with it, but its there.
you have to have 6 months of resent consecutive paycheck stubs and they will verify and then give you the same amount he was making, until he gets home.

i believe its called SDDP? SDPD? ..maybe? i dont really remember..

but my sister applied & got it back in 2004 for her husband.
and they gave her that money for 4 YEARS!
ridiculous in my opinion..
but i will call her for info if you like..
pm me for details.

BEST thing you can do is get a job.
you got kids? work at a daycare.
they will let your kids go there for free..

best of luck!

Daveswife
03-10-2009, 05:55 PM
there actually IS a program that will "replace" his paychecks if he is in prison, but only prison, not county jail.

i dont agree with it, but its there.
you have to have 6 months of resent consecutive paycheck stubs and they will verify and then give you the same amount he was making, until he gets home.

i believe its called SDDP? SDPD? ..maybe? i dont really remember..

but my sister applied & got it back in 2004 for her husband.
and they gave her that money for 4 YEARS!
ridiculous in my opinion..
but i will call her for info if you like..
pm me for details.

BEST thing you can do is get a job.
you got kids? work at a daycare.
they will let your kids go there for free..

best of luck!
Was this a state or federal program. I've been doing this for 10 years now and have never heard of such a thing. Any more info would be really great.

mailove
03-11-2009, 02:15 AM
my husband is going to prison in a month and i am very worried about what is going to happen to me. my family is no help and his family is trying to help me the best they can. i have been searchign online all day to find sites about how wives that have husbands in prison can get financial help.

Let me give you some advice. My man has been in prison since 2003. He might get out late 2010 or 2013.

I went back to school in 2004. I live off my grants and student loans. I have pelvic cancer and I earned enough work credits to use my social security until I can get past my cancer and work again.

I have no help from anyone. I am alone with a child. I got no family except my soon to be husband. I still support my family and make sure my man has his basics in prison with phone mins to call everyday for 5 mins to keep his butt out of trouble and on track.

If I can do this, you can do this! Stay strong, work several part-time jobs if you have to. Take in babysitting, sell some things you don't need apply for medical help for your kids and food stamps, energy assistance, but believe me no one is handing out money for poor women with kids whose husbands went to prison.

Junior'sQueen
03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Let me give you some advice. My man has been in prison since 2003. He might get out late 2010 or 2013.

I went back to school in 2004. I live off my grants and student loans. I have pelvic cancer and I earned enough work credits to use my social security until I can get past my cancer and work again.

I have no help from anyone. I am alone with a child. I got no family except my soon to be husband. I still support my family and make sure my man has his basics in prison with phone mins to call everyday for 5 mins to keep his butt out of trouble and on track.

If I can do this, you can do this! Stay strong, work several part-time jobs if you have to. Take in babysitting, sell some things you don't need apply for medical help for your kids and food stamps, energy assistance, but believe me no one is handing out money for poor women with kids whose husbands went to prison.

Amen to you!

But more importantly, may God be with you for all that you are going thru and still staying strong for your family.

Awesome woman you are! You are tough and for your child to see you do what you do, he/she will always be proud of you! along with your husband. ALWAYS! Keep up the great work that you are doing!

tkn2dalimit
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
mailove more power to you girlfriend...:)
I have always lived for me and my kids, which are now 'our' kids. You can look, and if you get the help... get it knowing that it will eventually come to an end. I take care of our 3 kids, and a grandchild, and it's hard but we make it. I have always been very independent because nothing in life comes easy. It's hard... damn hard! but you do what you have to do to survive. I have never been able to get assistance, so in order to make ends meet sometimes i get part time jobs. You will make it... i'm sure... It's called survival of the fitest