View Full Version : Felony Registration

pbandk
03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
After you are released, do you have to register as a felon everywhere you live for the rest of your life even if you aren't a sex offender? How does that work? Thanks.

carliecurtis
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Do they have to register as a felon for the rest of their lives or just for a certain amount of time after release?

It depends on the crime committed. Obviously, If you murdered or attempted to murder someone, you'll always have to report that to potential employers. However, most crimes (after a period of time) can be expunged (or sealed) from your record for a fee. A sex offense will remain with someone forever though.

ben's girl
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure what happens, but a friend of mine mentioned her boyfriend had to register as a felon and he is not a SO.

pbandk
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Yeah, because I know that sex offenders have to. I was just wondering if all felons have to. I'm wondering if it's just for when they earn gain time. As in, do they serve their gain time on probation? I don't know.

odyone
03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
i know my guy told me that as soon as he is released he has 48 hours to reprot himself as a felon to our county police station. Going to be a little hard coming from gainesville, FL to Kirkland, IL!

JasonsGirl <3
03-13-2009, 06:43 PM
yeah my fiance got told he has 48 hours to report to the county sherrifs office aswell after he is released....craziness...its like you still never get away from this doc stuff!!

odyone
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Tell me about it! Like I said, not much time to get him back up here as I have to go get him! I have the money to fly him home but he has no identification down there. When he was picked up he didnt have his wallet and they wouldn't let him take it since it wasnt on his person when he was extradited. BS!

owrc08
03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I know you have to register as long as you have been convicted of a felony and the only way you can get out of registering is if you get the conviction expunged.

mmmy19962000
03-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Yeah, because I know that sex offenders have to. I was just wondering if all felons have to. I'm wondering if it's just for when they earn gain time. As in, do they serve their gain time on probation? I don't know.

As far as know they dont serve gain time in probabtion. Its like good behavior time if they are good boys they get out a little earlier.

ldinges
03-14-2009, 11:22 AM
If it is the first time they do not usually have to spend gain time on what is called conditional release, if 2nd or more they do have to spend any gain time on conditional release. The classification officer will let them know conditions well before release. Some start letting them know around 2 years out, some much closer. If they have probation as part of their sentence, probation takes precedence, at least that is what my husband was told several months ago, who knows if that will change by October of this year.

pbandk
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Does getting the record sealed mean that you don't have to disclose the convictions to employers? I am worried about us getting married and everything because my sister is on my butt telling me that his future looks bad. He wont be able to get student loans or a decent job. He can't do construction because, besides a lack of jobs, his back is hurt. I'm just trying to figure out our future without getting too stressed out!

KCFOREVER
03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
775.13 Registration of convicted felons, exemptions; penalties.--
(1) As used in this section, the term "convicted" means, with respect to a person's felony offense, a determination of guilt which is the result of a trial or the entry of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.
(2) Any person who has been convicted of a felony in any court of this state shall, within 48 hours after entering any county in this state, register with the sheriff of said county, be fingerprinted and photographed, and list the crime for which convicted, place of conviction, sentence imposed, if any, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. If the felony conviction is for an offense that was found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have been committed for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, the registrant shall identify himself or herself as such an offender. The Department of Law Enforcement, in consultation with appropriate local law enforcement agencies, may develop standardized practices for the inclusion of gang affiliation at the time of offender registration.
(3) Any person who has been convicted of a crime in any federal court or in any court of a state other than Florida, or of any foreign state or country, which crime if committed in Florida would be a felony, shall forthwith within 48 hours after entering any county in this state register with the sheriff of said county in the same manner as provided for in subsection (2).
(4) This section does not apply to an offender:
(a) Who has had his or her civil rights restored;
(b) Who has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted;
(c) Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision;
(d) Who is a parolee or probationer under the supervision of the United States Parole Commission if the commission knows of and consents to the presence of the offender in Florida or is a probationer under the supervision of any federal probation officer in the state or who has been lawfully discharged from such parole or probation;
(e) Who is a sexual predator and has registered as required under s. 775.21;
(f) Who is a sexual offender and has registered as required in s. 943.0435 or s. 944.607; or
(g) Who is a career offender who has registered as required in s. 775.261 or s. 944.609.
(5) The failure of any such convicted felon to comply with this section:
(a) With regard to any felon not listed in paragraph (b), constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(b) With regard to any felon who has been found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have committed any offense for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, constitutes a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. (6) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any law of this state relating to registration of criminals where the penalties for registration, notification, or reporting obligations are in addition to, or in excess of, those imposed by this section.

ben's girl
06-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I also found this on the DOC website while looking for something else: Criminal RegistrationPursuant to Section 775.13, Florida Statutes (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0775/titl0775.htm), offenders are required to register with the sheriff of any county she/he enters in this state, within 48 hours. Registration may include being fingerprinted, photographed, listing the crime, sentencing location, sentence imposed, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. Failure to comply with this statute constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

boop's mom
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I called the local sherriffs office yesterday, yes within 48 hours and weekends don't count since mine is getting out on friday we can go monday, here there are only certain hours so I would call your office to get details.

KCFOREVER
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I also found this on the DOC website while looking for something else: Criminal RegistrationPursuant to Section 775.13, Florida Statutes (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0775/titl0775.htm), offenders are required to register with the sheriff of any county she/he enters in this state, within 48 hours. Registration may include being fingerprinted, photographed, listing the crime, sentencing location, sentence imposed, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. Failure to comply with this statute constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
what about those who are from another state--is this a Florida statute--Mine will be on the Bus/Plane whatever coming back to Texas before 48 hours are up

boop's mom
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I would imagine you need to check in your county, if he does have to register they must make exceptions for travel.

KCFOREVER
06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I would imagine you need to check in your county, if he does have to register they must make exceptions for travel.
Texas doesnt have it---thats why I asked

raf215
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
what about those who are from another state--is this a Florida statute--Mine will be on the Bus/Plane whatever coming back to Texas before 48 hours are up

I've been thinking the same thing - even have another post about being paroled from another state. If you read the statute it says "offenders are required to register with the sheriff of any county she/he enters in this state, within 48 hours". Going to check on this but the way it seems to read is that one has to register within 48 hours after they enter any county in this state. My loved one will be coming from Oregon after I fly back to meet her . . . talk about a cross country excursion :eek: but I'd do it in a heartbeat for her!

boop's mom
06-12-2009, 02:14 PM
IMHO thenhe wouldn't have to register if Tx doesn't require it, I would still call ,you don't have to give your name,just ask.

tampamed
06-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Does getting the record sealed mean that you don't have to disclose the convictions to employers? I am worried about us getting married and everything because my sister is on my butt telling me that his future looks bad. He wont be able to get student loans or a decent job. He can't do construction because, besides a lack of jobs, his back is hurt. I'm just trying to figure out our future without getting too stressed out!

Felons are not able to get their records sealed or expunged in the state of florida

ambiespaz
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
it is a florida law applying to people who are intending to live in florida, not people passing through. it applies to ANY felons who come to florida to live. And even if they are already registered in one county, whenever they move they have to register again. And sex offender registration is a completely different thing. But yes all felons have to register, no matter the crime. I believe it is a snd degree misdemeanor to not comply with this law.

sld872
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Does this mean that they only have to register for 5 years unless they are a sex offender or convicted of a gang related crime? Do they have to register in the county they will live in upon release or the county they were convicted in?

775.13 Registration of convicted felons, exemptions; penalties.--
(1) As used in this section, the term "convicted" means, with respect to a person's felony offense, a determination of guilt which is the result of a trial or the entry of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, regardless of whether adjudication is withheld.
(2) Any person who has been convicted of a felony in any court of this state shall, within 48 hours after entering any county in this state, register with the sheriff of said county, be fingerprinted and photographed, and list the crime for which convicted, place of conviction, sentence imposed, if any, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. If the felony conviction is for an offense that was found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have been committed for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, the registrant shall identify himself or herself as such an offender. The Department of Law Enforcement, in consultation with appropriate local law enforcement agencies, may develop standardized practices for the inclusion of gang affiliation at the time of offender registration.
(3) Any person who has been convicted of a crime in any federal court or in any court of a state other than Florida, or of any foreign state or country, which crime if committed in Florida would be a felony, shall forthwith within 48 hours after entering any county in this state register with the sheriff of said county in the same manner as provided for in subsection (2).
(4) This section does not apply to an offender:
(a) Who has had his or her civil rights restored;
(b) Who has received a full pardon for the offense for which convicted;
(c) Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision;
(d) Who is a parolee or probationer under the supervision of the United States Parole Commission if the commission knows of and consents to the presence of the offender in Florida or is a probationer under the supervision of any federal probation officer in the state or who has been lawfully discharged from such parole or probation;
(e) Who is a sexual predator and has registered as required under s. 775.21;
(f) Who is a sexual offender and has registered as required in s. 943.0435 or s. 944.607; or
(g) Who is a career offender who has registered as required in s. 775.261 or s. 944.609.
(5) The failure of any such convicted felon to comply with this section:
(a) With regard to any felon not listed in paragraph (b), constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
(b) With regard to any felon who has been found, pursuant to s. 874.04, to have committed any offense for the purpose of benefiting, promoting, or furthering the interests of a criminal gang, constitutes a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. (6) Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect any law of this state relating to registration of criminals where the penalties for registration, notification, or reporting obligations are in addition to, or in excess of, those imposed by this section.

combatmedic03
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I researched this yesterday as my man is getting released from Florida but moving to Texas. They only have to register if they are remaining in the state of Florida, It is up to the state they are moving to if they have to register there. Texas they do not have to register unless they are a sex offender. Maryland as well. They only have to register if the offense was committed in that state. My ex husband was a felon as well and I know that in Florida they only register once. They do not have to register in every county unless they are on probation or community control. If the felon moves out of state after release, after 5 years they can move back to Florida without having to register. I hope this helps. I called the sherriffs office in El Paso Texas to find out because I couldn't find anything on the internet about this.

deeintx
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I see my question was answered in the above post.. If they are on Probation then they are not allowed to leave their counties... If on parole they are allowed...I thought that was a bit much.

ambiespaz
06-21-2009, 06:40 AM
I see my question was answered in the above post.. If they are on Probation then they are not allowed to leave their counties... If on parole they are allowed...I thought that was a bit much.

you can leave the county while on probation. you can even leave the state. You just have to get permmission first. My PO lets me travel all the time.

geremob
10-16-2009, 11:32 PM
It depends on which state you live in Maryland you dont have to, Florida you do. But sex offenders all do you probably can call your local parole/probation office and find out!

wifeofMichael
10-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Personally I find the idea of a person having to register after they served their sentence wrong. Except for sexual offenders and there are reasons for that. But even those are sometimes taken too far. The reason for getting a sexual charge is not always about rape or child molestation. But that's another posting.

Danya
09-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Can anyone tell me how this works?

My bf was arrested in South Fl., and is currently incarcerated in Northern Fl. He is from Chicago, and since he has no family in Fl. he will be leaving the state immediately upon release.
We were just informed that he will have to register as a felon in the arresting county when he is released:eek:.
I am freaked out because I have no idea how he will be able to do that. Neither of us have transportation, even if we did I live in Michigan and that is where he will be coming to. How the hell is he supposed to accomplish this?:confused:
If anyone has any advice/experience I would appreciate it! Thanks

EDIT=NEVERMIND! His classification offcr just called and said he doesn't have to reg. if leaving the state immediately.

wifeofMichael
09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Felons are not able to get their records sealed or expunged in the state of florida

False.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?StatuteYear=2010&AppMode=Display_Results&Mode=Search%2520Statutes&Submenu=2&Tab=statutes&Search_String=+943.058

wifeofMichael
09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Can anyone tell me how this works?

My bf was arrested in South Fl., and is currently incarcerated in Northern Fl. He is from Chicago, and since he has no family in Fl. he will be leaving the state immediately upon release.
We were just informed that he will have to register as a felon in the arresting county when he is released:eek:.
I am freaked out because I have no idea how he will be able to do that. Neither of us have transportation, even if we did I live in Michigan and that is where he will be coming to. How the hell is he supposed to accomplish this?:confused:
If anyone has any advice/experience I would appreciate it! Thanks

EDIT=NEVERMIND! His classification offcr just called and said he doesn't have to reg. if leaving the state immediately.

Michigan does not require you to register. But, some states do, even if you are visiting.

http://www.interstatecompact.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=_z_GAg1xGwY%3D&tabid=105&mid=431

lin787
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
A friend got out about a month ago. Felony charge. He had to go to Nassau co sheriff to register because thats where the crime was done/and sentencing
. He was then released to go home to Ohio.

I have only heard through the gossip line that he had to register again in the Ohio county he lives in, but he up and took off, so.........sad for him and his family.

ben's girl
09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
If you're not going to live in FL it makes no sense to register since you're not going to have an address. I would call the CO to find out where this info comes from, or maybe even someone in Tallahassee.

lisawashere
09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
my husband had 24 hours to register

wifeofMichael
09-17-2010, 05:15 AM
In Florida you have 48 hours to register. But make sure you print out that link I provided. Because if you visit some states you must register if you will be there for longer than 48 hours.

KiKiSHiN3S
03-12-2011, 11:51 AM
After being released from prison I was told they need to register in the county they are going to be living in (not for probation), but my question is, how long after do they have? I know they have to "check-in" within 24 hours but does that mean just a call to make an appointment or do they just show up within the 24 hours? :hmm: I am going to call on Monday to ask just wanted to see if anyone else knew anything about this. By the way if it matters it would be in Osceola County. Thanks
:thnx:

wifeofMichael
03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
They got 24 hours. My suggestion, go there right away. They were overcrowded when we went and they had him make an appointment for later that afternoon. That was over pretty quick. Oh, and it could show up on their jail website like an arrest and be put in the paper. There's one local that shows the pictures of everyone arrested and my husband was in it just for checking in. Pissed me off but that's public record. Jerks.

spin721
03-15-2011, 12:52 AM
The FIRST place you need to go when getting out of prison is the felony registration unit. End of story. There is NO discussion to be had about this. If it is the weekend, make sure you are there first thing Monday morning. Why are people so stupid when it comes to this? (I don't mean anyone on here.) And if you are going to live somewhere else, look it up before you get there.

Illuminati
03-15-2011, 11:36 AM
They got 24 hours. My suggestion, go there right away. They were overcrowded when we went and they had him make an appointment for later that afternoon. That was over pretty quick. Oh, and it could show up on their jail website like an arrest and be put in the paper. There's one local that shows the pictures of everyone arrested and my husband was in it just for checking in. Pissed me off but that's public record. Jerks.
That is a new one. I guess it depends on the county.

amickeyfan
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
OK.. may be a stupid question, so sorry.. but .. we know my son has to register in Lee County (he lived there, was sentenced there and will be living there, depending on work). Question is, if he decides to go to Flagler County up where I own another house to live if he cannot find work here, does he need to register there too? Or what if he just goes for about a month to do some work on the house for us, does he need to register even if he isn't moving there? It is still in the State of Fl.... so he won't be going out of State. He will not be on any probation, it is just a matter of registering as a convicted felon.

Mom Far Away
03-15-2011, 05:01 PM
OK.. may be a stupid question, so sorry.. but .. we know my son has to register in Lee County (he lived there, was sentenced there and will be living there, depending on work). Question is, if he decides to go to Flagler County up where I own another house to live if he cannot find work here, does he need to register there too? Or what if he just goes for about a month to do some work on the house for us, does he need to register even if he isn't moving there? It is still in the State of Fl.... so he won't be going out of State. He will not be on any probation, it is just a matter of registering as a convicted felon.

No such thing as a stupid question. My son was released on a Sunday and the first stop we made was to register. The officer told us we could come back on Monday and he didn't have to do it then. My son requested to stay because we were already there. It only took a few minutes and CASH only. I'm not sure but I believe I read somewhere that you do have to register in the other county if you intend to stay there for any length of time. I would ask at Lee County when he registers there :)

amickeyfan
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
No such thing as a stupid question. My son was released on a Sunday and the first stop we made was to register. The officer told us we could come back on Monday and he didn't have to do it then. My son requested to stay because we were already there. It only took a few minutes and CASH only. I'm not sure but I believe I read somewhere that you do have to register in the other county if you intend to stay there for any length of time. I would ask at Lee County when he registers there :)

thanks.. you have to pay to register???? more money out of them (us)... :rolleyes:

NAN425
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
To answer your question about does he have to register if he comes to Flagler County for a month...here's the quote from the DOC's website about registration:

Pursuant to Section 775.13, Florida Statutes, offenders are required to register with the sheriff of any county she/he enters in this state, within 48 hours. Registration may include being fingerprinted, photographed, listing the crime, sentencing location, sentence imposed, name, aliases, if any, address, and occupation. Failure to comply with this statute constitutes a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

So it sounds like the answer is yes.

In fact, it sounds like if my husband were to go for a 3 day weekend to Disney with us after he gets out that he will be technically be required to stop and register down there because he'd be there more than 48 hours. INSANE.

But I wouldn't count on sending your son to Flagler to find work anyway...we have the highest unemployment rate in the entire state...almost 17%.

amickeyfan
03-16-2011, 05:58 PM
To answer your question about does he have to register if he comes to Flagler County for a month...here's the quote from the DOC's website about registration:

So it sounds like the answer is yes.

In fact, it sounds like if my husband were to go for a 3 day weekend to Disney with us after he gets out that he will be technically be required to stop and register down there because he'd be there more than 48 hours. INSANE.

But I wouldn't count on sending your son to Flagler to find work anyway...we have the highest unemployment rate in the entire state...almost 17%.
God.. I didn't even think of our Disney trips.. so anytime they leave to go anywhere in the State they have to register? that doesn't sound right... there must be something to this we are not getting right? I can understand if they are moving there, but to visit for a few weeks? I also would understand if they weren't already living in the State, but living here, they are going to have to register with Orange County for every time we go to Disney for more than 48 hours:confused: since they have to register within 48 hours.. I am going to try to remember to call the sheriff's dept and ask this.. or maybe email DOC to see if they know..

amickeyfan
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
After reading this statue.. it looks like they must do it for up to 5 years after release. Also states they can do it at "the Department of Law Enforcement".. so if they register in Orange for a trip to Disney, do they re-register once they get home.. then do they register again when they return to Disney :confused: This really does require a phone call

NAN425
03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
The point of registration is that they want to know where the felons are. EXACTLY where they are, at all times. Not just that they are somewhere in the state. So that if something happens in that jurisdiction they can immediately look at all the felons that are there as suspects.

Welcome to life on the government watch list.

amickeyfan
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
So how do they register with a hotel as an address when the hotel isn't in their name? or when they are visiting family and the house isn't in their name? How do they provide proof they are going to be where they say they are at? I understand where you live, you provide your DL as proof, but for a vacation when it isn't in your name? or when visiting family or say the house I have in Palm Coast.. it isn't in my son's name, there aren't any bills going there to him :confused: In fact, my uncle is staying there and most of the monthly bills are in his name taxes and insurance are in me & my sister's name.. (house use to be my mom's she left it to us when she passed away). How could my son prove he is there? :confused: this really confuses me. If the government really wants to know where the felons are at all the time, they really have no clue when you think of it.. anyone can say they are anywhere :rolleyes: If they don't have any proof to show how can they register?

tampagirl23
03-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I was under the impression they only register once, when they are released. I don't think they have to re-register each time they move, even if it is to a different county.

wifeofMichael
03-17-2011, 11:58 AM
ARe you sure this is for everyone or only for those who have probation. I know my hubby has to register if we leave the county (or state and we have to get permission) and remain in the place for several days, but not after probation is complete.

wifeofMichael
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
That's for sexual predators. They must register when they move or when they visit for so long. If you are on probation you have to as well, but not after. Otherwise you register once.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/getdoc/1863692c-cef5-48e4-8a2e-93bfdff688e2/lb9702_8-22.aspx

amickeyfan
03-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I emailed them today and forgot to give my son's name :o. They emailed me back asking for it. They said they had to have it to give me the correct information for him upon his release. I sent that with his DOC#. When I get a response, I will let you guys know. I spoke to my son today and he said he was under the impression that when he gets out, he only registers in our county and only once.. that is it. He said he would see if anyone at the WRC could give him some info on it too. I really cannot see them having to register each time they leave the county for a few days, that is just nuts. On the same token, you never know...

wifeofMichael
03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I think I contradicted myself above. It is 48 not twenty-four hours to register. Here is a link to the requirements of different states:

http://www.interstatecompact.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=_z_GAg1xGwY%3D&tabid=105&mid=431

wifeofMichael
03-18-2011, 09:36 AM
I was under the impression they only register once, when they are released. I don't think they have to re-register each time they move, even if it is to a different county.

They don't unless they are a sexual offender. However, some states require you register if you go to live or visit.

amickeyfan
03-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I have not heard back from DOC today.. but the more I think about it,the more I think it is just the one registration. there is no possible way to register when you go away on vacation. You just cannot do it. If that were the case, they may as well just micro-chip all inmates prior to release! They could just scan them as they go thru toll booths...:rolleyes: Instead of Sun Pass, it will be called Convict Pass
If you are on probation, sure, you must get permission to leave the county from your PO, but if you are released from prison with no strings attached, you are done with your time. You register as a convicted felon in your county of residence and that must be all you do... like I said, when I hear from DOC, I will post their answer.

NAN425
03-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I have not heard back from DOC today.. but the more I think about it,the more I think it is just the one registration. there is no possible way to register when you go away on vacation. You just cannot do it. If that were the case, they may as well just micro-chip all inmates prior to release! They could just scan them as they go thru toll booths...:rolleyes: Instead of Sun Pass, it will be called Convict Pass
If you are on probation, sure, you must get permission to leave the county from your PO, but if you are released from prison with no strings attached, you are done with your time. You register as a convicted felon in your county of residence and that must be all you do... like I said, when I hear from DOC, I will post their answer.

Do you seriously have to get permission to leave the county from your probation officer while you are on probation? God I hope not. Flagler has NO major shopping at all - clothes shopping, anything, pretty much requires leaving the county - and my husband has FIVE YEARS of probation coming.

And our daughter LOVES to go to DisneyWorld...who wants to tell their kid that we can't go because Daddy doesn't have permission?

wifeofMichael
03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes, you have to get permission to leave the county. However, my hubby's po told him that if he was going to just the neighboring counties (on either side) for less than forty-eight hours that was fine. If he was going to be gone more than 48 he had to get permission AND check in at the probation office where he was staying. Then there are work permits and that's a little different. Best thing to do is to ask permission first. We were told if he was working in one county but sleeping in a different county he doesn't have to check in in either county because he's not spending a consecutive forty-eight hours in either. BUT he would need a travel permit from his po. So if you are going to Disney you will need a travel permit. And, no, his po doesn't have to give him one. But if he did and you don't stay in the same county as the park he wouldn't have to register as he wouldn't be spending forty-eight consecutive hours in either county. One way to avoid that hassle I suppose.

Not sure about how your hubby's was written up, but my husband can get early termination. We have four years, but he can get terminated in two if he's paid his restitution and hasn't gotten into any trouble. That's our goal.

NAN425
03-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Mike has been ordered to do five years supervised probation and its highly unlikely that he will get early termination (although his attorney told him that he could apply for it after 2.5) because one of the victims is likely to object based on their involvement in events to this point. :(

wifeofMichael
03-19-2011, 10:55 PM
He's got more than two years (by your ticker) left in and then 2.5 before he's eligible, a lot can happen. Make it a goal. Get any restitution paid (if there is any) off by then. I don't see any hassle by my hubby's victims but that's always a possibility. Some people can be vindictive. But time is on your side for the person to get the over it. Positive thinking :~)

amickeyfan
03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes Nan425.. when ever you leave your County you must get permission if you are on probation.. and I know your County.. you have next to nothing there. If your husband wants to go to the Daytona Mall, he must get permission. I would not even chance not getting it. Get into an accident on I-95 not in Flagler, and he will be up the creek..

amickeyfan
03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I still have not heard back from DOC on my initial question to them about the registration when going to a different county for an extended stay.. They were very fast to respond back for my son's info, but then never got back to me with my answer???? :confused:

wifeofMichael
03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
amickeyfan, that's not necessarily true. Daytripping does not typically mean a person must get permission. We asked that question when we went to see my hubby's po the very first time. If he's only going to the two counties on either side of us and for less than 48 consecutive hours he does not need permission. Leaving the state or going two counties over he does. If he is in another county for more than 48 hours he must then register with that county. My hubby's po already told him if it was for employment he wouldn't have any trouble. My hubby's mother is coming down sometime in the next few months to spend some time here (not here in my home no way) and she wants him to drive her home. He will have to get permission to do that but not to go to Pensacola from Milton to visit her for the day.

amickeyfan
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
amickeyfan, that's not necessarily true. Daytripping does not typically mean a person must get permission. We asked that question when we went to see my hubby's po the very first time. If he's only going to the two counties on either side of us and for less than 48 consecutive hours he does not need permission. Leaving the state or going two counties over he does. If he is in another county for more than 48 hours he must then register with that county. My hubby's po already told him if it was for employment he wouldn't have any trouble. My hubby's mother is coming down sometime in the next few months to spend some time here (not here in my home no way) and she wants him to drive her home. He will have to get permission to do that but not to go to Pensacola from Milton to visit her for the day.when my nephew goes down to Universal Studios for the day, he is suppose to tell his probation officer.. my nephew also is a hockey ref in the town next to his, which is in the next county. He must let his probation officer know when he has to be there (it is a job) and approx what time he will be back. So I guess it varies on your probation officer.. I know he has to report to his whenever he leaves the county.. he is in Flager County too..but then again, this is straight probation, not from being released from a prison.. so maybe it is different???? Probation is my nephew's sentence.. that might be the difference.

wifeofMichael
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
It may be the way our counties are split up. Many people hold jobs in Pensacola or Crestview that live here in the Pace/Milton area. Or have family. It might depend on the po or on how the judge sentenced the person. The best thing to do is ask those questions. We had a list when we went.

amickeyfan
03-22-2011, 07:51 PM
As it goes back to the old saying... this is Florida we are talking about.. seems no one ever knows what they are doing.. one does one thing, another does a different thing.. ;) it all depends on who you report to.. what town, what city, what county, what prison, what whatever.. :eek: the land of inconsistency.. to say the least!

wifeofMichael
03-29-2011, 05:39 AM
And it can be a difference from po to po too. I worry what will happen when my hubby's retire. He's mentioned that he was a couple of times. The dude is entirely no nonsense but he doesn't harass us and you know where you stand.

amickeyfan
03-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Just an update on my email.. there isn't one.. :hmm: No one has gotten back to me on my question. I am wondering if they even have a correct answer to give me ;) As we all know, everything is subject to change depending on who you speak to, what county you are in, even what month this is :rolleyes: If I ever do hear back, I will post the response... :)

amickeyfan
04-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I emailed them again, yesterday, explaining that my first email to them was on March 17th where they responded on March 22nd that it was being transfered to the correct department and to give it time for them to "research" my question. I explained I had given it time and have heard nothing. The response I got from them today was the SAME :hmm: it was being transfered to the proper department and to "allow adequate time to research" .. so, I am thinking that they really do not have a correct answer to our question as to how often they must register, if it is in fact each time they leave their County or is it just the once when they are released from Prison (this is when they do not have any probation).

amickeyfan
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Got my answer.. sort of.. I didn't get all the answers to the questions I asked, but did get this..

Mrs. XXXXXX:

Per F.S. 775.13 The offender must register within 48 hours after entering any county. Therefore, if you travel into another county, yes; he must register within 48 hours.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

I followed it up with the following questions (which were in my original email, but never answered):
Will this be for the rest of his life, or for how long? Will he have to re-register in our County when he returns home from a vacation? I know when they register, they must take ID to show their address, how do they show their address if they are staying at a hotel, will hotel confirmation work if not in their name? What if they are visiting family, what proof will they need to show they are at that address since they will not have a hotel confirmation?

I will keep you guys updated on any answers I get.. so I guess if they aren't on Probation, they must register with each county they visit in... and they must register within 48 hours! that is just nuts if you ask me.. and lots of extra paper work.. wonder if they charge them too.. if that is the case, my son may not be traveling legally then.. I am NOT about to freaking pay to have him visit my sister over the holidays then have to pay again when he gets home!

wifeofMichael
04-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Only if he's there for 48 hours or longer. If he's only there for a few hours or the day, no. But I'll be honest, when my husband was released twelve years ago we never bothered with that.

amickeyfan
04-21-2011, 06:24 PM
This is what I got back today from all my questions.. she is as stumped as we all are with the wording of it.. judging from this answer.. it sounds like they may not have to register if they are just visiting or on vacation since they are not going to have a permanent address.. again, she does state to check with local sheriff.. so DOC isn't even sure.. I cannot blame her either. This wording makes no sense when you read it.. the way I read it, "more than 5 years", means if their sentence was under 5 years, they do not need to register and we all know that isn't how it works.. :confused: or is it that they must register for a total of 5 years and after that, they no longer register???? I thanked her for this info and wished her a Happy Holiday, she did try. I am going to try and remember to ask the Officers that work at my school to see if they know. If not, I will just ask when I take my so to register in Sept. :yes:

Whether this is a lifetime process, I am not sure.

F.S. 775.13 (4)(c) refers to a criteria for non registration:

Who has been lawfully released from incarceration or other sentence or supervision for a felony conviction for more than 5 years prior to such time for registration, unless the offender is a fugitive from justice on a felony charge or has been convicted of any offense since release from such incarceration or other sentence or supervision. I suggest you address this five year period with your local sheriff department.

Also, it is my understanding that once he registers in a county then he does not have to keep re-registering. I believe they are referring to the permanent address as you state you are primarily visiting the area. Again, I am sure your local sheriff department should also be able to give you more definitive answers since they handle the registration process. The department only notifies the offender of the need for the initial registration.

wifeofMichael
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
What my hubby was told when he was released the first time was we register once and that's that. He did not go down the the sheriff's department when we moved from our apartment to our house. He never registered when leaving the county. Now, since he is on probation he has to follow the 48 hours thing (and get a travel permit) but not to drive over to a friends in the neighboring town for the day.