View Full Version : Have questions about Santa Rita Jail Alameda County

flcc
04-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I don't know if I'm way outa bounds here w this question,but does Santa Rita have any sort of procedure for someone who's in custodey and their parent falls ill and is dying...I mean will they cut them some slack and take'em to see them one last time or let them attend a funeral??Will they at least let them use a damn phone to call? Am I dreaming or what......can't believe this is happening....
thanx

tands
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I've never been in your shoes, but please call the chaplain of the jail, call the watch commander, call anyone who would listen, and explain the severity of the case. Honestly, they may not cut slack for a funeral, I've heard in the past it doesn't happen, but you never, and no one can fault you for trying. God Bless.

princessL
10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Does any1 know any company that mails food packages to Santa Rita County Jail in Dublin, CA?

Ascension
10-07-2008, 11:37 AM
As far as I remember, it's a website called http://www.mycarepack.com/
click on Alameda County, CA for the institution.

princessL
10-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks so much for da info I was totally lost dis will put a smile on my husbands face

"Z's"-Wifey
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
My husband was there last year for 2 months and I used to order his weekly packages from mycarepack. Try to order it right away, like today! They have some rule where you can only order packages 7 days after your last order. If you plan on putting in a package for him every week, this will become a problem as you will keep running into the weekly cut off and also the 7 days restriction.

Juicygirleso
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi. I am engaged to my fiance and we want to get married in Santa Rita Jail. I am wondering if anyone knows of any ministers that would be willing to come up there and marry us? I don't know if the pastor of my church will do it and I wanna know if there are any ministers that are used to doing jail marriages. If anyone has any info for me please respond. Thanks!

Nancbee4
12-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Apparently my son was moved out of Santa Rita yesterday morning and taken to state prison. My question is....does anyone know which prison the bus went to yesterday, Jan, 30 ? Did it go to San Quentin or to DVI in Tracy? Those are the two reception centers in this area where they take inmates from Alameda County. I wish I knew where they took him. :(

babyugotit
03-02-2009, 06:14 PM
So my fiance just got locked up and i've never had to visit in county jail or prison before? he's in Santa Rita Jail (Alameda County, CA). I've read the website about all the rules and how to visit him. But i'm so nervous about what happens once i get there... if anyone who has visited a loved on in there before could give me some sort of walk thru as to what really happens once i get there.. i would greatly greatly appreciate it.:(

tnm8
03-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Just follow the rules you read on the website. Bring your i.d. with you inside and nothing else. You sign in and wait. Once they call the name you'll walk through a metal detector and they'll pat you down depending on the facility. It really isn't that scary as one might think. Good luck visiting him.

B's Bunny
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I learned by screwing up the first time. I hope this helps you avoid that :)

Visiting there is easy or hard depending on the housing unit and the day of the week you choose to visit. I suggest you show up really early -- be aware that there is an understood and unpublished set of lines (and traffic flow) on the ramp that you'll need to figure out -- ask people already waiting in line what they're in line for until you find the one you're looking for. You can take anything onto the ramp with you but when you come back for your actual visit bring ONLY your single car key, your ID and a pen. There are lockers there but they're unreliable. Dress for all kinds of crazy weather and know that it gets HOT in the actual visiting area.

In case your loved one is in 33, 34 or 35 here's the scoop there. Visits for 33, 34 and 35 are VERY, VERY crowded and there a limited number of passes handed out compared to the number of people who show up to visit. I go on Sundays for the 6pm. I arrive by 7am and stand in line to get my name on the list for the 6pm visit (some people camp out as early as midnight the night before but I always get in by showing up at 7 am). Don't be intimidated by the length of the line -- it will be very long. Two COs come out to the line and start processing the 6pm people at about 10am. They check IDs and put your name on a list and tell you to come back at 5:30 pm. I'm usually on the list and on my way out of there by 11:00 am. At 5:30 pm promptly the COs start calling the names on the list by housing unit. Don't be late cuz you don't get a second chance. This wait is about 30 minutes. When they call your name, you show your ID again and they give you a numbered pass. Take the pass, go into the lobby and get in the line for the metal detector. This line will take another 30 or so minutes. Fill out your pass while you're in line (this is why you brought your own pen). The CO at the metal detector will check your pass and your ID. Once you're through the metal detector you're practically there. Just follow everyone else down to the housing unit(s). Give your pass to the CO behind the window of the housing unit you want to visit (double check the signs, they're confusing) and show your ID again -- then wait -- the CO will call out the names for the first visit and announce which side of of the housing unit you're on. One visit at a time, he'll call 15 or so names for each of the visits between 6:00 and 9:00. The numbers on the passes dictate the order of the visits. The first 15 (or so) are the first visit, etc.

Bit of last minute advice. Inmates move often so call the night before to make sure yours is still where you thought he was. Every visit I've ever been on there's been at least one person/family who's done all this waiting only to find out at the end that their loved one has been moved. Very sad.

I hope it works out for you -- Good luck!

ahustlaswife1
03-20-2009, 01:55 AM
My husband just got to rita weds. 3/18. He's in unit 21 whats tha scoop on those visits?

ahustlaswife1
03-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Ladies i need help with visiting info at santa rita jail. I have visited that facility before but heard things have changed. Does any one have the scoop on visiting unit 21. What time should i arrive for morning and evening visits.

Lorenzoismyman
03-22-2009, 03:19 PM
My Husband got there on Thursday-due to the Parole sweep and having a 49er jersey hanging in the closet!well hes in Housing 3 any info on the visiting-oh yeah im disabled and was told that disabled can go inside?someone tell me something here pleeaze Thank You-SueAnn

misssingmyhubby
10-17-2009, 04:29 PM
My hubby got locked up for parole violation and is in Santa Rita too and his housing unit is 33. Wow I have been to different jails and its never been this bad on the waiting wow. But thanks so much for your info its greatly appreciated. I would be lost and confused especially with my two kids with me!! By the way do you anything abput telephone calls or how long mail takes to receive on both ends? Thanks
:thumbsup:

humboldtsweetie
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey everyone! so I write every day to my hunny bunny. and he just got transfered from state prison back to santa rita jail. i looked under alameda county for the mail rules and what not but it didn't really give any specifics of what isn't allowed. does anyone have any idea to what those may be? specifically things like gel pens, pics, extra stamps, crayon etc. thank you!

rioindy
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi,

I know nothing about what it's like to be in jail. My boyfriend is in unit #33 at Santa Rita. Can anyone who's been there tell me what it's like? I'm wondering about things like how many other guys are in his cell, what rules does he have to follow and how violent is it? Basically, what's he going thru?

Thanks!

humboldtsweetie
01-07-2010, 09:11 PM
hi there! my husband was there for about 2-3 months he just left today actually. he was in unit 32. at first it seemed like there were a lot of lockdowns due to fights breaking out, but lately i haven't heard as much about that, and he hasn't been getting put on lockdown as much. basically he will get pod time 2 times a day, in the morning and at night. they eat early in the morning. not sure how many people are in there with him but the dorms are pretty big. if you are going to visit, it is a 30 minute visit but get there early to be on the list. hubby said the cops were kinda jerks sometimes, and i sorta agree just with going through it with him but overall i guess it could have been ALOT worse. private message me if you have anymore questions!

ashlie
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
:confused: well so confused at this point, my boyrfriend has been arrested 4 poss. of THC (bascially the powder from the weed, which is very iLLeqal)
& hes on court probation, also has been cauqht with poss. of maj a while back & they let him qo. so he had qot lucky with that but now hes in santa rita in dublin, california. & his court date is tmrw. so does any one noe what they could possibly do to, & please nobody answer to this unless you actually answer the DAMN question in some typa way!
thanks you could email me at **email removed - per pto policy - please use PM system**
also he is unit 33 so if anyone has some one in unit 33 in santa rita who has qot in contact wid them let me noe also that would help me out ah bunch just to noe how ehts qoinq b'cus ihavent been able to qet in contact wid my hubby b'cus i jus barly put money on phone soooo thank youuu

forever1
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
You may not have gotten any responses due to the language you've used in your posting, if you're wondering. Nobody knows what will happen it court tomorrow for your man. Simply because we don't know the background, facts of the case, information on the Court this is in, nothing...I am assuming since he was on probation and he violated, he'll finish the time in State Prison, but I don't know...you'll have to contact his Attorney or possibly the court clerks office in the morning.

piercedkitten83
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
a reminder of PTO policy regarding the posting of email addresses -

• Posting Links / URL’s / Email Addresses:
While we prefer that all content be posted in the forums themselves (unless it is a copyright violation to do so) so our members will always be able to access it, we realize that some information must remain on remote sites as it may be too extensive to re-post. Posting links/URL’s in the PTO forums is allowed as long as they substantiate a post, or are summarized. Please don’t post links with a comment such as, “Check out this link”. Let members know what the link is about, rather than surprising them with it. We also do not permit the posting of personal email addresses in public forums due to privacy issues. If you want someone to contact you privately, please post a note at the end of your post to be contacted via PM as long as it is a personal issue. The posting of your personal email address in ANY public forum invites SPAM from people creating mass email listings. Believe it or not, there are people who get paid to spend all day searching newsgroups, message boards, discussion forums, and chats just to collect email addresses that are posted.

Also, I highly suggest you edit out the personal details of your boyfriends case, as well as his location. These are public forums and you have no idea who could be reading it.

AngelWings23
02-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Cuz some people are telling me its for people in the hole & others say its people in PC. im just confused and wanna know.

number one son
03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
www.ktvu.com (http://www.ktvu.com) has specifics on jail lockdown.

Nancbee4
04-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Cuz some people are telling me its for people in the hole & others say its people in PC. im just confused and wanna know.
"Reds" used to mean you had psych problems or behaved as if you did once you got there to you were put in reds and placed in a section where you pretty much stay in your 2 man cell all the time and wait for a psych evaluation. This can, or could in the past, easily take up to a month or longer. The "blues" were for the majority of the population and the "yellows" were for more serious felony's. However, my son who has been the SR many times, informed this system was changing. I can't be sure he had the correct information. I might guess those who needed proctective custody for whatever reason might have also been put in reds. Nobody likes to be in red since you are locked up most or all of the day and can't work inside the jail. As far as I know they never get pod time out of their cells to watch TV...go to the yard or anything.

Nancbee4
04-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Does anyone know what housing unit "Area 3" is??? On all previous visits to Santa Rita my son was in 32 or 33 but this time he is in "AREA 3". I drove all the way out there and asked at the window and was told it was maximum security and then when I must have appeard upset the window clerk said she was not sure and that it was just one of the housing units. Does anyone know what it means to be housed in this area?? Thanks.

Zora67
05-03-2010, 08:54 PM
It's only been a week, but I feel like I'm going crazy! He didn't even do anything! He kept calling his PO to register but she wasn't returning his calls. Then he gets arrested (he had ankle monitor on him). Turns out, he was given a new PO. Um, why couldn't they tell them? If he was trying to violate and not "do his job" and "run" I'm sure he could've ripped that crap off his ankle right? :rolleyes:
But anyways, I went to visit him at Santa Rita last saturday. I had to keep it together and it was soooo hard. He's in Unit 3 currently. Does anyone have any info on that unit? What can I expect? Usually he would call me, but he hasn't and now I'm nervous. I sent him a letter last week and just a couple of hours ago. How does the mail run? I live in Oakland if that makes a difference. I also just bought him some books at Amazon. So what can I expect? I just feel like crap and it's only been a week!!! :( Plus I have NO clue how long he's gonna be in for!!! :(

Nancbee4
05-09-2010, 01:12 AM
It's only been a week, but I feel like I'm going crazy! He didn't even do anything! He kept calling his PO to register but she wasn't returning his calls. Then he gets arrested (he had ankle monitor on him). Turns out, he was given a new PO. Um, why couldn't they tell them? If he was trying to violate and not "do his job" and "run" I'm sure he could've ripped that crap off his ankle right? :rolleyes:
But anyways, I went to visit him at Santa Rita last saturday. I had to keep it together and it was soooo hard. He's in Unit 3 currently. Does anyone have any info on that unit? What can I expect? Usually he would call me, but he hasn't and now I'm nervous. I sent him a letter last week and just a couple of hours ago. How does the mail run? I live in Oakland if that makes a difference. I also just bought him some books at Amazon. So what can I expect? I just feel like crap and it's only been a week!!! :( Plus I have NO clue how long he's gonna be in for!!! :(
Mail is pretty fast but they don't have mail delivery on Saturday or Sunday. My letters reach my son in less than a week.

linka1
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Ok:thumbsup::D since my hubby is stuck there I have only gone once only because it is amazing how many people camp out and wait all day to see there loved ones it's crazy.I give a star to everyone out there who has been doing it for months I just don't see myself doing that every weekend.
it is like a line for a concert or something.:cool:
I live across the bay and it's a hell of a drive to begin with but waiting four hours until 12 is way to long outside then twenty or so with them then back home TRAFFIC sucks.that is crazy to all you girls with your men is he really worth it?But it must be true love I';)m telling you.

linka1
05-22-2010, 09:45 AM
never :confused:mind I didn't understand but I would like to hear how other people feel and what they no.

humboldtsweetie
05-22-2010, 08:38 PM
well i only visited santa rita once before he was transfered back to state prison but honestly we didn't end up waiting that long. we (his mom and i) ended up coming early in the morning, maybe an hour early and we got in just fine. the people there were nice, but hubby said not so much if you are on the other side. i hated having such a short visit with him there. i like our state prison visits better. contact and with 6 hours! hehe but having him home will feel so much better

maryjane33010
05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
my baby's all tha way in salsbury an thas a 6 hour drive from home.. i've drove it once since he's been there an they let me in 2 hour's early.. i'd much rather have him in our state prison, 4 hour contact visit, :) but i love him so i can deal. but i agree i'd muchh rather have him home where i can see him all tha time..

Missez Duncan
05-23-2010, 02:13 PM

not sure what county he is parolled too-
but he should be able to register at the police station. he goes in and tells them what he needs to register for, and they'll bring down (or out) an officer who can do the paper work. they give him a copy to take to the parole office and a copy to keep for his records. he shouldn't have to go through his p.o to register.

and Nancbee is right-mail doesn't take that long. when my hubby was there, he would get my mail in a few days. and yah no mail is delievered saturday or sunday, nor is it picked up from the inmates.

within in the next week or so-he'll meet with a counselor to figure out how long he will get. a petty violation like that could be 1 to 3 months. but they will look at all the evidence; how he was trying to call, and then got a p.o switch.. plus, any incentive that he's doing something good on the "outs" will help him alot- i.e work, school, etc.

linka1
05-25-2010, 02:54 AM
I agree with both.

DontDorien
05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi,

I know nothing about what it's like to be in jail. My boyfriend is in unit #33 at Santa Rita. Can anyone who's been there tell me what it's like? I'm wondering about things like how many other guys are in his cell, what rules does he have to follow and how violent is it? Basically, what's he going thru?

Thanks!

My boyfriend is there but he is in AREA 23. Let me tell you visiting sucks there and you should arrive at least 3hours before visiting to line up. I do know that Santa Rita is the 5th largest jail in the entire United States. IT IS HUGE>

DontDorien
06-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Hey has anyone else ordered dominoes while waiting to visit at Santa Rita? It is a great! the guys and the pizza station know exactly what to do and deliver it to ya while you are waiting in line. THAT's ALL

heaven1987
06-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi my boyfriend is currently in santa rita jail. I took our son over the weekend to visit him with no problem. My boyfriends sister (my sons aunt) is watching my son while I'm at work and would like to take him to visit his dad tomorrow. Someone told me that I need to write a note stating that I give her permission to take my son to see his father, if this is true does it need to be notarized? Has anyone done this? I dont want her to go up there wait hours in line for nothing if they wont let her in. Please let me know. Thank you.

damiross
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
My girlfriend is in Santa Rita housing unit 25. What is it like there? I tried to visit her today - got there 2 hours before the visiting time but was told the passes were already taken.

Friday's visiting hours start at noon. Should I plan on getting there no later than 9? How soon before the visiting hours do they start handing out passes?

She's been in there 2 days now. I miss her like you wouldn't believe. She's going to be there for a little over a month then transferred to state women's prison. Would that be Chowchilla? We live in the Bay Area so I'm hoping it's not southern California.

itsme1234
07-08-2010, 04:51 AM
"Reds" used to mean you had psych problems or behaved as if you did once you got there to you were put in reds and placed in a section where you pretty much stay in your 2 man cell all the time and wait for a psych evaluation. This can, or could in the past, easily take up to a month or longer. The "blues" were for the majority of the population and the "yellows" were for more serious felony's. However, my son who has been the SR many times, informed this system was changing. I can't be sure he had the correct information. I might guess those who needed proctective custody for whatever reason might have also been put in reds. Nobody likes to be in red since you are locked up most or all of the day and can't work inside the jail. As far as I know they never get pod time out of their cells to watch TV...go to the yard or anything.

At least as of Dec '09, reds = protective custody ("PC") and greens = psych (aka "J-cats"). It was also this way in 2008, and I don't think it would have changed in the past few months.

PC's have two units to themselves, and (depending on the deputies on-duty) usually get pod time in the morning and evening. Yard time is more rare, maybe once a week at most, again depending on the deputy. Unit 21 had a stretch of months last year where yard time was very rare.

damiross
08-25-2010, 04:20 PM
My girlfriend is in Santa Rita housing unit 25. What is it like there? I tried to visit her today - got there 2 hours before the visiting time but was told the passes were already taken.

Friday's visiting hours start at noon. Should I plan on getting there no later than 9? How soon before the visiting hours do they start handing out passes?

Answering my own question.
I've found that I can get there an hour or so early. Wednesdays are the best day - really don't need to show up until about 5:15 or 5:30 for the 6:00 visit.

MiSSiNMyBaBy510
03-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Hello!! My guy is in Rita housing 21... I was wondering if anyone else has a love 1 in the same unit?

Nancbee4
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Hello!! My guy is in Rita housing 21... I was wondering if anyone else has a love 1 in the same unit?
No but my son is currently in Santa Rita. I think he is in 33.

JonJonsGirl
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
No but my son is currently in Santa Rita. I think he is in 33.

My man is currently in 33 too. He was just moved from 22. I am kind of worried about the size of the dorm and the amount of people.

hereigo
11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm facing 140days with 2/3 time served meaning I'd be listed for release @ 90days.
Should I expect to get out earlier than 90days?? How's overcrowding in Santa Rita? I know inmates in southern cali get out super early due to overcrowding...
I'm just trying to do my time and put this behind me, but I can hang for month. 90days seems excessive - time stops in there. Wish I could do rehab but I have no funds or support system.

hereigo
11-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Also forgot to add: how does this whole thing work? Will I be in the housing pods or will I have a cell? Showers? Commissary? Will my prior 2 arrests (not convictions) for felony DV be held against me if there is such a thing as early release?

I'm so ready and anxious to just get the ball rolling and get this ordeal taken care of but I want to know what to expect if rehab is not an option.

nicole sanchez1
01-03-2012, 03:43 AM
my boyfriend was recently in unit 22w and was moved to unit 32 I don't know why ....can someone please tell me what what 32 unit unit is ? Why would u be moved there ??

nicole sanchez1
01-03-2012, 03:48 AM
33 is blue that means that medium security 22 is medium max .. he will be in a cell with 1 person. They will come out for pod times 2 * a da. once in the morning in between 8 am and 11 am and again at night between 8 pm 11 pm

xaviers_wifey
06-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Sooo my boyfriend id in reds and in the hole ( maximum security I think ) can anybody tell me how much pod time he will get a week and for how long.. plz replyyy thank you