View Full Version : Can an inmate send/receive mail while in the hole?

Starling
02-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I am not so familiar with the prison system, and I have a question in mind. I hope this is the right forum to ask.
Does anyone know if inmate can send/receive letter when they r in the hole ?:confused:
Does every prison have different rules abt this ?

Thank you for your help...:)

shadyslady
02-25-2009, 12:12 PM
It depends on where he is. In the state of California, yes they can receive and send mail while in the hole. I would call the prison and ask.

TJ'sLady
02-25-2009, 06:06 PM
When I was in the hole I could send and receive mail, I would call the prison and ask what differences there is (if any) but they can't keep their mail from them...at least I hope not!!!!

24jf
02-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Mail is a RIGHT and while the delivery may be slower than if he was in General Population it is to still be delivered. As far as writing.. I would think he should be able but recently a friend of mine was take to Ad Seg for 20 days and he was not allowed to have paper, pens, envelopes or stamps (at least that was his story ;) ). The best thing to do is to call the mail room at his facility and ask.

Ravenscaitorrie
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
At Texarkana they can...

AMY ESPINOZA
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Im actually in the same boat my luvz in la palma ( arizona ) and i find it very odd that he has not written since the 13th ( the day he was put in the hole ) ! Which is wierd cuz he writes evreyday so i basically think he dosent have his stuff with him or there just messing with him & his mail ! Thats just my opinion since i havent really been able to have any contact with him !

JonJon Wife
02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
im actually in the same boat my luvz in la palma ( arizona ) and i find it very odd that he has not written since the 13th ( the day he was put in the hole ) ! Which is wierd cuz he writes evreyday so i basically think he dosent have his stuff with him or there just messing with him & his mail ! Thats just my opinion since i havent really been able to have any contact with him !

im in the same boat but my fiance is off key block and still isnt able to send mail out been like this for a good 3 months..he said he has been raising hell every day im not sure what the next step should be??he gets my mail though..i think b/c it would be a federal offence to tamper with in comming mail...

Stray
02-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I had a friend who was in the hole and he could get letters but nothing else like photos or newspaper clippings.

akasweetness
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
My hubby send twice as much mail home when he's in the hole. It was taking him a while to get my mail because the co would not pick it up everyday. But they can get mail while in the hole. It was the only thing that really kept me going because normally we are phone junkies~ Hope you get some mail soon~;)

03-01-2009, 04:45 PM
hey there, my man's in the hole right now, and he can get and send mail, he just cant talk on the phone, or have visits, but ever prison is different.. good luck...... i know its hard not being able to talk on the phone, but he writes me more now that we have no phone calls :( i rather the phone, but one month to go.

Vic'sLady
03-02-2009, 07:10 AM
My man was in the hole....he got out 2 days ago after 4 months!!!!! :yay: He was able to send and receive mail :mail: It took about 3 days for me to get his and about 2 days for him to get mine. I am currently waiting to receive my 1st phone call....he has already attempted to call me but I changed my phone number since the last time we were able to talk so it might be a few more days. But just hearing him speak his name on the recording was enough to (a) make me break down and cry and (b) feel sooooooo relieved! Keep your head up things will all work out! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!!!!

canthelpbutwait
03-02-2009, 09:58 AM
where bae is at in NY he can send and receive or so they say- idk if he was able to bring his stuff from gen pop to the hole- the counselor said ASK HIM lol i sure will when i am sitten here pretenden to be on the phone wit him :lol: so i sent money cause they said he can buy stamps, envelops, paper in comminsary thats it- so now its a waiten game.. will i get a letter or will i not..

AMY ESPINOZA
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Okay i got my answer i just recieved mail he said he couldnt write cuz he didnt have his property but now he has his writting supplies so i take it yes you can send mail from the whole hes in la palma ( arizona ) !!!!!!!!!

brucesgirl21
03-15-2009, 02:12 AM
Letters yes it's usually the phone calls that they restrict sometimes up to 30 days after being released from the hole

thatwiz
03-15-2009, 09:50 AM
My man is in the hole and I get his letters quickly in a few days. I guess because he has nothing better to do and he can spot the way I write a mile away-noticed the CO was giving my letters to him to someone else-he went off. Turns out old boy has the same last name as him-but different first and DIN, but the COs were just careless and old boy didn't say anything but took the mail. So the COs went in his cell and retrieved other letters from me that didn't belong to him and gave them to hubby. Hubby was TIGHT and said if he ever sees old boy anywhere that it won't be nice.

purpleperson
03-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I have a friend that was just sent to Tutwiler Prison for Women and have the same sort of questions - how do we get mail to inmates and how do they get mail to us? Please help. This Girl is NOT A CRIMINAL - she was defending herself against domestic abuse and wound up on the wrong end of the law so she needs support and I need to know how to help keep her spirits up and what can and cannot be sent to her, etc, etc. please advise.:(

Hi everyone,

I am not so familiar with the prison system, and I have a question in mind. I hope this is the right forum to ask.
Does anyone know if inmate can send/receive letter when they r in the hole ?:confused:
Does every prison have different rules abt this ?

Thank you for your help...:)

BlueEyedEllie
03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
i knowwhen marc was in the hole a few years ago at county he could get and send out mail. i'm assuming every state has it's own rules and regs. even county may have diff. rules than state. you could always call the prison and ask them.

C.O.Ramos
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
They have to give them their mail.. always.. thats one thing we cannot hold..

PrayingForYou
03-21-2009, 06:00 PM
In county in GA, he could receive mail but not send it out while in the hole.

twistedshorty
04-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a friend transferred from HDSP in CA. He is now in SHU does anyone know the regulations on sending a paper package? Meaning he is an artist and I want to send a tablet for him to draw stuff and some photo's of the family so he can send some of his work to the family. thanks any info would be appreciated.