View Full Version : My husband is at Holmes -- Anyone else?

faith1026
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
The DOC has changed his transfer orders and final location EVERY single time I get it fixed. So, guess what, he's 5 hours away at Holmes CI and says it isn't so bad there.So I think we'll just leave it be... for now. I told him that if he feels like he can do his time there in peace, then no matter the distance, I will be there.

So -- Ladies, who else visits at Holmes? I need any helpful info you have about the facility and area; hotels, vistitation.... anything at all. Thx!!:D

ricoswifey
02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
My husband got transferred to Holmes also...been there since July. Unfortunately when he first got there our visitation got suspended, which sucks & he ended up being in confinement for 4 months....So it started off kinda bad for him there, but since he's been out of confinement he's been fine. He said all in all it's ok, alot better than apalachee were he was before. As long as he follows the rules, he'll be fine...and it's supposed to be one of the safest prisons in FL. It's 10 hours from me, but as long as he can do his time ok there, that does not matter. I only visited once there, so i'm not "too" familiar with the area...The hotel i stayed at was bonifay inn which was right down the street from the prison-not the best but it served it's purpose lol.There's a burger king right there & a couple gas stations, not much else. The prison is off exit 136 i think on i-10, off exit 142 in chipley there are more hotels like chain hotels, more places to eat & a walmart. I remember from the time i visited they were very strict about clothes...i had to change twice, so def make sure you have lots of changes of clothes. When i went the visit was crowded so it would help to get there early. Also, not sure where you are at but i'm in miami & the time there in bonifay is an hour early than me....Anything else just ask...hope that helps.

carliecurtis
02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
My hubby's at Holmes also. Like Ricoswifey said, it is one of the safest prisons in the state. And not so bad as long as you follow rules. When I visited, I stated at a Days Inn in Chipley. It's only about 8 minutes from the prison. Absolutely take Ricoswifeys advice about bringing extra clothes, because I have had to change 2x as well! Don't wear anything that could be seen as "too tight" ,"see-through" , too short, etc.. I have heard that even capri pants are unacceptable. I am six hours away from there-- Near Tampa. But I am moving farther away (Bradenton) at the beginning of the month.

DH says that of all the places he's been to, once you learn the rules, they are pretty fair. He is currently in the auto body repair program there, and it keeps him busy, while learning a new trade.

And yeah, Bonifay is on Central Standard Time, while most of FL is an hour ahead on Eastern Standard.

Feel free to pm with any questions!

ben's girl
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Ben stayed over about 4 days during a transfer and named this facility "camp of a thousand rules." So I guess it's like everyone else said, once you learn the ropes you're ok. It was just that the things he was able to do at the previous facility he was not able to do at Holmes and kept getting in trouble (no DR's, but they said something to him about the smallest stuff....leaning his head against the wall while on the phone UGH). So hopefully you're husband will do well there. And what does everyone mean by the safest prison?

carliecurtis
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Ben stayed over about 4 days during a transfer and named this facility "camp of a thousand rules." So I guess it's like everyone else said, once you learn the ropes you're ok. It was just that the things he was able to do at the previous facility he was not able to do at Holmes and kept getting in trouble (no DR's, but they said something to him about the smallest stuff....leaning his head against the wall while on the phone UGH). So hopefully you're husband will do well there. And what does everyone mean by the safest prison?

I'm not quite sure what my man meant when he said "one of the safest prisons" But he's been in a few of them over the years, so would, be in a position to judge. He did say that there isn't as much violence between inmates there, as I think many of the population are older inmates. Not old as in seniors, but in their thirties and up, probably less gangs, although I'm certain they exist in there. When I visited, the CO's at the visiting park were very personable (again, as long as you followed the rules) and although they counted almost constantly, the officers were fair to everyone.

Ben'sGirl, I've heard that phrase "land of a thousand rules" in regards to Holmes also. But I was just thinking that maybe that is why the place is considered safer than most? Just throwing that out there, and missing my guy something fierce tonight.

faith1026
02-24-2009, 07:47 PM
i live almost 5 hours away, so im hoping to go and stay over at least once a month. about the clothes, im just usually a jeans and hoody girl, so should be safe with that, right? what were you wearing? was it cleavage or something? also, everyone always says get there early, but do you really need to? coming from so far im worried about that. visit doesnt start until 9 right? but everyone says be there 730..:eek:

ben's girl
02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Since Holmes is in Central time zone visit will start 8:00 and end at 2:00. I visit once a month and leave for visit at 2-2:30 am to be there by 7:00. Trust me when I say it becomes routine after awhile.

ricoswifey
02-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I've heard the "land of a thousand rules" comment too lol...but he says once you follow them, they are pretty fair. As far as it being one of the safer prisons...when they were transporting him there one of the captains told him it was the safest prison in the state of fl & one of the top in the us. Like i said, besides the visitation "incident" he's had no problems. He said there is def less violence there, fights but not too often...nothing like the other prisons he's been at. Jeans should be fine as long as there not "too tight"...I'd recommend getting there early, because when i went i got there at 7am & there were already maybe 5 or 6 people in line, unlike when he was at apalachee sometimes there would be only 5 other people in the vp the whole time! I noticed when i visited some of the other visitors were kinda stuck up like they thought they were better than everyone else lol but i'm not there for them so who cares...Coming from so far, i drove up friday morning & stayed the night in a hotel both fri & sat. Um...what else...oh when you get there, there's going to be 2 papers under a covered area u need to fill out. One is only for the 1st time you visit, the other u fill out every time, stating what jewelry you have on etc...

faith1026
02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
BensGirl: when you say the visits start at 8, you mean 9 EST- right? he still doesnt even have a class. officer for me to send the viso app. to yet .. ugh! it's been over 2 months now... :o also, what if i dont get there so early? i won't get in? and any info on why your clothes were not approved is appreciated... were u wearing fishnets again??:rolleyes:

ben's girl
02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, 9:00 EST. You don't have to get there early. I get there early to make sure I get as much time with Ben as possible. Sometimes they aren't so prompt in letting him through the gate or processing the visitors in and I want my 6 hours. I'm selfish like that. LOL

Anjewel
02-25-2009, 09:46 PM
BensGirl: when you say the visits start at 8, you mean 9 EST- right? he still doesnt even have a class. officer for me to send the viso app. to yet .. ugh! it's been over 2 months now... :o also, what if i dont get there so early? i won't get in? and any info on why your clothes were not approved is appreciated... were u wearing fishnets again??:rolleyes:

Hold the presses! If you haven't sent the visit paper AND BEEN APPROVED to visit, you won't get in...and, it takes a minute to get approved even after you send the papers...

I visit NWFRC (it's right there in Chipley off exit 120) and I leave home about 3am, my time, and get there about 8am, their time. Then, after visit, I go to the room and crash.

Bensgirl, next time you go and if I'm going also, maybe we can meet some where after visit. I like Cancun, it's a little mexican restaurant on the north side of I-10, exit 120 and very good food.

ben's girl
02-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Bensgirl, next time you go and if I'm going also, maybe we can meet some where after visit. I like Cancun, it's a little mexican restaurant on the north side of I-10, exit 120 and very good food.

Shooga, we're not at Holmes, but I'll hit you up the next time I go down for the weekend, which probably won't be until April because I'm going to the PTO Conference in March. I don't think we're too far apart to work something out. :thumbsup:

ricoswifey
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
YES you definately have to send in the visitation application & get approved first. Mine took only a week, but i bugged his classification officer constantly LOL... If you call to Holmes the # is 850-547-8700 in case you don't have it, they should be able to tell you who his classification officer is...Or you can speak to Ms.Washington, that's the classification supervisor & she should be able to tell you who to put it in attention too. If you get there later, you'll still get in..but i'm greedy too bensgirl lol, i want my full 6 hours with him!! By the way this is off topic lol but i love cancun,it's really good lol....

faith1026
02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I know I can't go until approved....:( I'm bummed that I've had the application for weeks now, but he hasn't been assigned a classification officer yet, so I had no one to send it to. But today I'm calling... Now that he's staying at Homes for sure I should be able to send it to the department and then they can give it to whomever when he gets assigned to someone. thx for the info ...

p.s. matthew says it should really be called the camp of a thousand and fifty rules :D also, he asked me if i knew the names of any of my PTO'ers men so he could maybe figure out if there's anyone there he might get along with. I think he said he's in dorm B1.... If anyone is comfortable telling their husbands name Matthew would like to keep an eye/ear out for someone he could maybe let his guard down with. he's very much out of his element in prison and just trying to stay under the radar as much as possible ...

ricoswifey
02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
p.s. matthew says it should really be called the camp of a thousand and fifty rules :D also, he asked me if i knew the names of any of my PTO'ers men so he could maybe figure out if there's anyone there he might get along with. I think he said he's in dorm B1.... If anyone is comfortable telling their husbands name Matthew would like to keep an eye/ear out for someone he could maybe let his guard down with. he's very much out of his element in prison and just trying to stay under the radar as much as possible ...

My husband is in C2 dorm....so he's probably pretty close to yours. Everyone calls him "Rico"...Mine pretty much keeps to himself unless he feels the person is alright...He doesn't try to make himself the center of attention there LOL...The less CO's that know him the better.

Anjewel
02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
Shooga, we're not at Holmes, but I'll hit you up the next time I go down for the weekend, which probably won't be until April because I'm going to the PTO Conference in March. I don't think we're too far apart to work something out. :thumbsup:

Alright, then....let me know....and, anyone else that might be up for some company after a visit on Saturday. Not too much though, I am pretty beat too death by the time visit is over. But, I do sometimes wish there were SOMEBODY else besides me for a little bit, anyway.

Faith, on getting some names so he can let his guard down...just because we get along doesn't mean our honeys will get along. It's kinda like putting two pitts in the same room...but not. You know? And, this is not a slight or insult, it's just that more times than not they will clash and then it's hell on THEIR home front, you know?

I mean, if you and I meet up and clash, we can just keep away from each other...but they have to some what coexist, and I hope you can understand that...

It's just something to watch out for...

carliecurtis
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
i live almost 5 hours away, so im hoping to go and stay over at least once a month. about the clothes, im just usually a jeans and hoody girl, so should be safe with that, right? what were you wearing? was it cleavage or something? also, everyone always says get there early, but do you really need to? coming from so far im worried about that. visit doesnt start until 9 right? but everyone says be there 730..:eek:

LOL about the clothes-- I wore a pair of jeans, and a kinda baby-doll shirt that covered my arse. The lady who was checking me in was about to let me go, when a male CO come in and said he thought my shirt was a "little see-through" he questioned if he could see my bra. I proceeded to show them that it had a layer underneath it to prevent ir from being see-through, and he said it was best not to take any chances. The lady CO rolled her eyes at him and told me where I could change, and said I wouldnt have to go back through the line again. So I changed to a t-shirt and hoodie, and came back. Then the male CO said my jeans were "kinda tight" (They were regular levis, and fall off my waist half the time) so the lady CO rolled her eyes at him again and said I could just tie my hoodie around my waist. She didn't see anything wrong with my clothes, but the male guard did. It all depends on the guards. :rolleyes:

ricoswifey
02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
LOL about the clothes-- I wore a pair of jeans, and a kinda baby-doll shirt that covered my arse. The lady who was checking me in was about to let me go, when a male CO come in and said he thought my shirt was a "little see-through" he questioned if he could see my bra. I proceeded to show them that it had a layer underneath it to prevent ir from being see-through, and he said it was best not to take any chances. The lady CO rolled her eyes at him and told me where I could change, and said I wouldnt have to go back through the line again. So I changed to a t-shirt and hoodie, and came back. Then the male CO said my jeans were "kinda tight" (They were regular levis, and fall off my waist half the time) so the lady CO rolled her eyes at him again and said I could just tie my hoodie around my waist. She didn't see anything wrong with my clothes, but the male guard did. It all depends on the guards. :rolleyes:

LOL...I had this issue too...Maybe it was the same guy LOL...Was it a kinda short chubby guy? Because that's the one that was giving me issues...He said my skirt was kinda short but i told him it was nowhere near 3 inches above the knee he said it might be when i sat down & he was trying to prevent an inmate from looking up my skirt LMAO...So i told him i'd change into jeans & he said ok as long as they aren't white...Sooo you'd think jeans & tshirt would be a safe bet but always always bring extra LOL...Everyone makes fun of me when i'd go because for the weekend i'd take one of those suitcases with wheels plus another couple small bags....

carliecurtis
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
LOL...I had this issue too...Maybe it was the same guy LOL...Was it a kinda short chubby guy? Because that's the one that was giving me issues...He said my skirt was kinda short but i told him it was nowhere near 3 inches above the knee he said it might be when i sat down & he was trying to prevent an inmate from looking up my skirt LMAO...So i told him i'd change into jeans & he said ok as long as they aren't white...Sooo you'd think jeans & tshirt would be a safe bet but always always bring extra LOL...Everyone makes fun of me when i'd go because for the weekend i'd take one of those suitcases with wheels plus another couple small bags....

OMG, I am LOLing my arse off here. I know it had to be the same guy. It's not like he was mean--more like insecure? This guy was all saying he was "tryin to protect me" becasue there are "sick inmates her today." I did beleive him. He didn't seem nasty at all--just overly freaked out. Almost overwhelmed from the responsibilty, and questioned everything. I really didnt get the impression he was being mean, just that he was not willing to risk anything. Overall, probably a decent guy, with a huge responsibilty. SOmetimes I cant help but feel for the guards too.

faith1026
02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
wow! i see what you're saying now. great, one more thing to stress about, like we need that, right? guess i'll just do like u said and bring a few things... to be safe. i HATE packing.....and laundry....But love my hubby:D

ricoswifey
02-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I hate packing too...i always feel like i am forgetting something...They have a walmart there too not right there but in chipley sooo just in case...and yea lol it probably was the same guy!!...i didn't feel like he was coming across mean either, he was very polite just cautious like...