View Full Version : Tether Cost?

Dwnrvr Duke
02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
I'm looking to find out the cost of the Tether Program? Any information that can be shared from start-up cost, monthly fees, to possible hidden fees that the MDOC charges.

Thanks, all information is appreciated.

ConcernedSF
02-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Don't know what they charge an inmate but here is what the monitoring company charges the state for the SCRAM alcohol tether. $1,500 per unit initial charge, $3.60 per day for monitoring.

Form No. DMB 234 (Rev. 1/96)
AUTHORITY: Act 431 of 1984
COMPLETION: Required
PENALTY: Contract will not be executed unless form is filed
STATE OF MICHIGAN
DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET February 12, 2008
ACQUISITION SERVICES
P.O. BOX 30026, LANSING, MI 48909
OR
530 W. ALLEGAN, LANSING, MI 48933
CHANGE NOTICE NO. 2
TO
CONTRACT NO. 071B4200245
between
THE STATE OF MICHIGAN
and
NAME & ADDRESS OF VENDOR TELEPHONE: Don White
(303) 989-8900
Alcohol Monitoring Systems, Inc. VENDOR NUMBER/MAIL CODE
1241 West Mineral Avenue, Suite 200
Littleton, CO 80120 BUYER/CA (517) 373-7374
Email: dwhite@alcoholmonitoring.com Joan Bosheff
Contract Compliance Inspector:
Alcohol and Drug Prevention - DOC
CONTRACT PERIOD: From: July 1, 2004 To: July 1, 2008
TERMS SHIPMENT
N/A N/A
F.O.B. SHIPPED FROM
N/A N/A
MINIMUM DELIVERY REQUIREMENTS
N/A
NATURE OF CHANGE(S):
Effective immediately, unit cost of the SCRAM system is reduced from $1600 to
$1500 per unit.
Effective January 1, 2008, daily monitoring fee for alcohol monitoring system is
$3.60/day/unit for units in actual use (80% minimum use clause no longer
applies). Also, there will be no additional charge to upgrade all of the SCRAM
units owned by Department of Corrections (including 110 that were recently
purchased) to the new SCRAM II version. Upgrade is scheduled to begin April 1,
All other terms, conditions and prices remain the same.
AUTHORITY/REASON:
Per DMB Purchasing Operations and vendor email dated February, 7, 2008.
Total Estimated Contract Value Remains: $1,785,500.00

ConcernedSF
02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Also found this interesting tidbit. Under the new budget guidelines community service work can be used to pay for tether costs.

"Sec. 603. (1) All prisoners, probationers, and parolees involved with the electronic tether program shall reimburse the department for costs associated with their participation in the program. The department may require community service work reimbursement as a means of payment for those able-bodied individuals unable to pay for the costs of the equipment.
(2) Program participant contributions and local community tether program reimbursement for the electronic tether program appropriated in part 1 are related to program expenditures and may be used to offset expenditures for this purpose.
(3) Included in the appropriation in part 1 is adequate funding to implement the community tether program to be administered by the department. The community tether program is intended to provide sentencing judges and county sheriffs in coordination with local community corrections advisory boards access to the state's electronic tether program to reduce prison admissions and improve local jail utilization. The department shall determine the appropriate distribution of the tether units throughout the state based upon locally developed comprehensive

Bobbyswife48838
03-01-2009, 07:20 AM
A friend of the family is currently on tether.He was just released 2 days before Christmas.He's on the satellite tracking tether and it costs him $91.00/week.Also he gets Mon,Tues,Wed & Fri 8am-noon and Thurs 8am-4:30 off to look for work.I'd be happy to pay that to the State of MI to let my husband home on tether.

Dwnrvr Duke
03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Bobbyswife48838

Thank you the information and the cost breakdown on the tether program.

mabear
03-08-2009, 11:43 AM
https://www.michigancourtservicesinc.com/house_arrest.html

Found that.

I work with someone that is under house arrest. I have to call her probation officer everyday to let him know if I am holding her past her out time (Because of the cost she is trying to work as much as she can.) and fax him her schedule every week. She showed me her paperwork and it's the PLUS system she is on. It is costing her $81.00 a week and she has no free time... Only work, school and to the doctor other than that she must be in her house.

Dwnrvr Duke
03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Thank you for the information.