View Full Version : IDAHO Marriage Q&A thread

mrsdragoness
12-27-2003, 09:43 AM
If you have been married in a Idaho prison and would like to share with everyone or have questions about being married in a Idaho Prison then please post here. Here is a list of questions and if you can add anything else then please do so.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

scrumpier1
02-02-2004, 12:22 AM
THIS IS A PROJECT IN THE WORKS... PLEASE BE PATIENT

As of right now we have no wedding info for this state, but if you have been married in a Idaho prison and would like to share with everyone then please post. Here is a list of questions and if you can add anything else then please do so.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit
1. They dont offer counceling at the prison before the marriage
2. Process takes 2-3 weeks depending on the Chaplain
3. You can choose to pay approx $100 for the prison to find a minister or
you can choose one and have him approved to enter the prison.
4. No flowers or camreas allowed
5. The only guests allowed are people who have been previously approved to visit the inmate. (theres no limit)
6. Go to the Ada County Court house and ask for the Affedavit to marry someone who is incarcerated. Fill it out along with the AIDS pamphlet. They will need the inmates birthday and S.S. #. Tey will notarize it. Then you must send both of these to the inmate and he has to do the same. He will then mail back both things notarized and you take it back to the court house, they will charge 30 dollars for the license and you will get your marriage license.
7. 30 dollars in cash only
8. The inmate must wear his regular clothing and the bride must wear casual clothing also..no wedding dresses or gowns.
9. A wedding band is allowed to be brought in by the bride, and there is no value limit but it cannot be fancy or have any diamonds. It must be a plain band.

TNC
10-09-2004, 12:12 PM
I am currently going through the process and will share as I go along.

STEP 1
For the marriage process to start the inmate has to go to the chaplin and request a marriage packet. Before that can be done he will be given a form that needs to be filled out by him giving the prison permission to discuss any crimanal records, medical or disaplinary records. He will send it home for you to sign and date along with a witness to sign and date. Once he gets it back and signs it himself it will be good for 90 days. Once that form is turned in along with a desired date the he will be given a marriage packet.

I also want to add that if either of you have been divorced the prison will need a copy of BOTH sets of divorce papers. If you dont have a copy then you can obtain those from the county where the divorce was filed.

Step 2
I finally recieved the call from the prison today. The call lasted less then 5 minutes. He wanted me to tell him what I knew about Chris and his criminal record. I told him what I knew and he said very good. He then asked if Chris was concerned about what I wanted. I think he was fishing to make sure this wasnt something I was pressured into. I think they tend to think a pressured marriage is an inmate munipulating someone.

UPDATE- I just found out today that not only does the prison need to call you and make sure you are aware of the crime(s), and make sure your not being pressured into marriage, but they also need something signed by you stating it as well. When the prison called me a few weeks ago and asked me these questions they never mentioned this to me. Today one of the Chaplins called me and told me that he needed me to write something out and send it to the prison C/O Chapel. Because nobody mentioned this to me in the phone calls I've had I asked him if this was standard. He said they require this from everyone for the same reasons.

Step 3
You need to go to the courthouse and get a afidavid of marriage. In order to get that you need information for both of you.

Full legal names
SS#
DOB
City and State where born
Race
Marital Status
City and State where you each live

You will sign and noterize right there in front of the clerk. They give you the paper for you to have him sign in front of a notery at the prison. Once you have that back then take the paper back to the courthouse with your $30.00. You will then be issues a marriage license.

No ID or SS card is required for either one of you.

They will let him try his ring on before the wedding day
Last week I emailed a visiting room Sgt and explained that Chris and I were getting married in Jan and I would be visiting on Sunday. I asked her if he could try on his ring in the pressance of an officer. I didnt hear back from her so I didnt take his ring on Sunday. After I got home I had a email from her saying that she was no longer the visiting Sgt there and that she would forward my email to the new Sgt. In yesterdays mail I got a letter from Chris and he said the new Sgt asked him if he tried on the ring. Chris had no idea what he was talking about and told him no. Well Chris told me that next time I visit it should be fine to bring the ring. I called the visiting Sgt today and talked to him about it and he said when I come visit next time just call him and remind him an hour before I visit. He will let Chris try on the ring then I can put the ring back in my pocket.

I know that one of my stresses it that what if I got his ring in the wrong size. I know what size he told me to get, but there is still the fear of it not fitting when the wedding day comes. I know he would hate going back to his cell a married man with no ring.

Step 4
It took a while getting the letter that the prison needed saying I knew of the crime, but they finally have it. I just talked to the Chaplin and now he will get the package back up to the Warden for a signature then down town for another signature. Once that is complete then we are free to get married. Our date is less then two weeks away, but the Chaplin doesnt expect this part of the process to take long.

Other then waiting on the final signatures the only thing left to do is go pick up the marriage license.

Overall the process has been pretty easy. It has taken a bit longer then it should have because the letter needed was lost in the mail due to the holiday rush. Under normal conditions this process doenst take long at all.

If anyone has any questions about the process of getting married in Idaho then please PM me anytime

GreatDane
09-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I live out of state. Can I get my marriage license there at Ada County?

Mikes_Wifey2010
09-27-2011, 01:37 AM
i didnt get this phone call you guys are talking about... ..i had to go down to ISCI and after my husband and i had our visit i had to sit with this guy and my husband for almost an hour while he tried to tell me what a bad person my husband was. i understand its there job to tell me his history but my husband had already told me everything. no secrets. either way. we have our wedding anniversary october 28th so we are still staying strong. hope everyone else do doing good

breesky33
01-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Since I live out of state can I have one of his family members get the affdv of marrige and send it to me or call and ask to have one sent? I really do not understand how to get the marraige lisence at all to be honest. Can you please be more detailed. Can I just have someone else fill out all our information and pay the 30 bucks since you said no ID is required? I don't really want to spend money to go down there just to get a paper. Also, if we have our own minister marry us how much will it cost to get him approved to marry us? What will I be aloud to wear is there a certain dress code to follow?

I am currently going through the process and will share as I go along.

STEP 1
For the marriage process to start the inmate has to go to the chaplin and request a marriage packet. Before that can be done he will be given a form that needs to be filled out by him giving the prison permission to discuss any crimanal records, medical or disaplinary records. He will send it home for you to sign and date along with a witness to sign and date. Once he gets it back and signs it himself it will be good for 90 days. Once that form is turned in along with a desired date the he will be given a marriage packet.

I also want to add that if either of you have been divorced the prison will need a copy of BOTH sets of divorce papers. If you dont have a copy then you can obtain those from the county where the divorce was filed.

Step 2
I finally recieved the call from the prison today. The call lasted less then 5 minutes. He wanted me to tell him what I knew about Chris and his criminal record. I told him what I knew and he said very good. He then asked if Chris was concerned about what I wanted. I think he was fishing to make sure this wasnt something I was pressured into. I think they tend to think a pressured marriage is an inmate munipulating someone.

UPDATE- I just found out today that not only does the prison need to call you and make sure you are aware of the crime(s), and make sure your not being pressured into marriage, but they also need something signed by you stating it as well. When the prison called me a few weeks ago and asked me these questions they never mentioned this to me. Today one of the Chaplins called me and told me that he needed me to write something out and send it to the prison C/O Chapel. Because nobody mentioned this to me in the phone calls I've had I asked him if this was standard. He said they require this from everyone for the same reasons.

Step 3
You need to go to the courthouse and get a afidavid of marriage. In order to get that you need information for both of you.

Full legal names
SS#
DOB
City and State where born
Race
Marital Status
City and State where you each live

You will sign and noterize right there in front of the clerk. They give you the paper for you to have him sign in front of a notery at the prison. Once you have that back then take the paper back to the courthouse with your $30.00. You will then be issues a marriage license.

No ID or SS card is required for either one of you.

They will let him try his ring on before the wedding day
Last week I emailed a visiting room Sgt and explained that Chris and I were getting married in Jan and I would be visiting on Sunday. I asked her if he could try on his ring in the pressance of an officer. I didnt hear back from her so I didnt take his ring on Sunday. After I got home I had a email from her saying that she was no longer the visiting Sgt there and that she would forward my email to the new Sgt. In yesterdays mail I got a letter from Chris and he said the new Sgt asked him if he tried on the ring. Chris had no idea what he was talking about and told him no. Well Chris told me that next time I visit it should be fine to bring the ring. I called the visiting Sgt today and talked to him about it and he said when I come visit next time just call him and remind him an hour before I visit. He will let Chris try on the ring then I can put the ring back in my pocket.

I know that one of my stresses it that what if I got his ring in the wrong size. I know what size he told me to get, but there is still the fear of it not fitting when the wedding day comes. I know he would hate going back to his cell a married man with no ring.

Step 4
It took a while getting the letter that the prison needed saying I knew of the crime, but they finally have it. I just talked to the Chaplin and now he will get the package back up to the Warden for a signature then down town for another signature. Once that is complete then we are free to get married. Our date is less then two weeks away, but the Chaplin doesnt expect this part of the process to take long.

Other then waiting on the final signatures the only thing left to do is go pick up the marriage license.

Overall the process has been pretty easy. It has taken a bit longer then it should have because the letter needed was lost in the mail due to the holiday rush. Under normal conditions this process doenst take long at all.

If anyone has any questions about the process of getting married in Idaho then please PM me anytime