View Full Version : Amazon.com-Can Inmates Receive Books From There?

ricoswifey
02-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey, just wondering has anyone sent a book from amazon.com. I ordered my husband a couple books from there & it's being shipped through usps...and I just tracked it through the usps website, and it says delivery attempted. I emailed them but of course it takes 1-2 business days for them to reply and mon is a holiday. Could it be because the attempted delivery was on sat? I don't understand why they can't deliver it with all the other regular mail...Any info will be helpful, thanks!!

streetswifey
02-15-2009, 09:30 AM
i always send books through amazon and ive never had any problems with it... i dont kno what the whole "delivery attempted" thing means because ive never had that happen to me... you put his name, dc# and then the normal mail address right? you can try calling the mail room on tuesday and check to see if they have the books... i hope you figure it out soon! :)

krackergrl
02-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought I heard somewhere that amazon isnt one of those places that you can ship to..dunno why im thinking that. i would assume that amazon you could ship it as long as its from the amazon company and not the used part of it since those come from the regular ppl. maybe cause its a saturday and mail room isnt usually open on saturdays?? i dont know, i'd call on tuesday and find out

ricoswifey
02-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Thank you...yes I put his name/dc#/name of facility/address....I am thinking it's that the mail room is closed Sat...I will call the post office & the mail room Tues & see what's up...thanks again!

Cat9378
02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Yes, Amazon.com is very usable for shipping books. Just remember that some books get refused for the oddest reasons. I got all my money back though, shipping cost and all, when one was refused.

ldinges
02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
You can use amazon.com for used books. You can also use Edward Hamilton and any bookstore that is a registered business and will send USPS. Walmart.com is also a site you can use. I ordered several books for my husband that were used books. You can also send puzzle books to most facilities, but as said before, you never know what the person that is checking them in will reject them for.

ricoswifey
02-15-2009, 06:22 PM
The book was not refused though, that's not the issue...I think it's a post office issue which I don't understand why...the only thing i can think of is that the mailroom isn't open Sat...here's what I emailed the post office and what I got back so far...I am still waiting for them to reply again...

ME:I am emailing in regards to a gift I ordered for someone being shipped by amazon.com (http://amazon.com/). The tracking number is .......... Under the status I see delivery has been attempted. This is being shipped to an inmate at a prison, so there is always someone there, so I'd like to know what exactly is the issue with it not being able to be delivered? Can't it just be delivered with all the other regular mail? Should I contact the local post office in Bonifay, FL? And if so can you give me their contact info? Thank you for your help

USPS:Thank you for contacting us about scheduling a redelivery for the item with label number, 9102901001301010351038.

According to our records, delivery was attempted on February 14, 2009, 11:17 AM. A notice was left at the destination address that explains pickup and redelivery procedures.

A Redelivery request may be scheduled using the information provided on the Redelivery Notice left in your mail receptacle. The Redelivery request may be submitted in any one of the following ways:

- By submitting the request via the website, using the following link:

https://dunsapp.usps.gov/Redelivery.jsp (https://dunsapp.usps.gov/Redelivery.jsp)

- Calling us toll free at 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) between the following hours:

Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM Eastern Time
Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Time
Sunday and Postal Holidays - closed

You can also visit the Post Office™ that is listed on the back of the Redelivery Notice to pick up your item. To claim the item at the Post Office, you must present a photo ID along with the Redelivery Notice.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal ServiceŽ.

Regards,

Carolyn

ME: think you misunderstood me. I am not the one that received the redelivery notice. I ordered this as a gift for somebody and when I checked the status it said delivery attempted. This is being shipped to an inmate in prison, so someone is always there. He is in prison, so picking it up isn't exactly an option. I am the one who ordered this so I am requesting that it be redelivered along when all the other mail is delivered. Is that possible? Please let me know & if you need any other information from me I will provide that. Thank you.

nick3369
02-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I used Amazon once with no issues, but be careful with them! They have been known to ship books via UPS or Fed-X if it was more convenient for them. There's no way to know up front if they will do this or not, but if the books are sent by any other medium other than the US postal service, they will be refused, 100% every time!

ricoswifey
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks again everyone...The books finally got there. I spoke to the lady in the mailroom today, and she was actually really nice & helpful....