View Full Version : What is SAFEP?

pmitch10
02-09-2009, 07:44 AM
What is SafeP if I may ask?

ReggiesLady
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
pmitch, I've moved your question out of the original thread to help get you answers so it wouldn't get overlooked. Others who have experience with SAFEP will be around soon.

nofxjo2000
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
My fiance is set to leave from state jail in March and heads to SAFE P. Does anyone know about SAFE P that can tell me about it? Will we have to be married to get contact visits? And if so, how do we go about getting married? Thanks alot! -Jo

ReggiesLady
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't know much about SAFEP but others will be along soon. I wouldn't suggest just getting married just because you want contact visits but if you are serious about getting married then you can do it by proxy in whatever county you live in.

nofxjo2000
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM
We have been talking about getting married a long time before he got locked up. We have contact visits right now and we don't want to lose that once he starts safe p. We will have a cerimony after he is released in november. Do you have a loved one in safe p?

wishbonesgirl
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM
SAFP is Substance Abuse Felony Punishment and it is a sentence given as a modification to probation usually. It is either 6months or 9months long if they have anymental health issues and have been dually diagnosed. The program is intense behavior modification and is no picnic. Many say TDC time is much easier. They have classes and a job as wll as group and some individual therapy. The cannot have any reading material unless it is treatment oriented or religous in nature. All visits are contact on SAt and Sundays from 8-5. It does not matter that you arent married to them.
After the 6 or 9months they are sent to a halfway house for 3 month before being released to an aftercare treatment with drug tests, counseling and follow up. They have recently began a pilot program where they may be released straight home if certain crieria is met.
You can use Jpay to put money on their books. I send my hubby 150 a month or so. They dont need much. Letters and visits are very important.
One thing you shuld know is that beds are hard to come by here and there is usually a wait in county to go if your fiance is not already there waiting. My husband was in county 3 months and this time does NOT go towards the 6 or 9 months. When he coms home it will have been 14 months since he left.
If there is anything else you want to know just ask and I will try and help answer.
Best wishes and hang in there!
Carrie

nofxjo2000
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey Carrie, thank you so much for that info. But also, Blue was telling me at visitaion sunday that he might not have to go to the half-way house for the last 3 months because there has been a change in the law or something? If the inmate is going to be on probation after they have served their time than the 3 months after care is not needed if there is a legitamete address for them upon getting released. Have you heard anything

wishbonesgirl
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes thats the Pilot prgram I was metioning. My hubby says it is because the halfway houses are backed up. I think their is some other criteria they must meet not just and address. I know they have to have the SAFP coordinator do a home visit and they have to have a job.
I hope so this means I only have a few months to go!
My hubby has been gone since last June. His 9 months will be up in end of May. He is in a special needs unit becase he is bi polar.

nofxjo2000
02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
That would so be awesome if this is true! Blue leaves in March for saf p. If he doesn't meet the required requirements....we will be finished with everything in November. If and when you do find out what all the guidelines are on that, would you PLEASE keep me informed? Thank you again for all of the useful info!!

AndresWife
02-09-2009, 01:46 PM
As Carrie said there is usually a wait to get into SAFP. Dont count on him going when he is suppose to. My husband only had to wait a couple weeks but there is usually a longer wait. To be eligible for the pilot program they have to have a job and stable place to go to when they get out. It is totally up to the probation officer if they can do the pilot program. My husband has a job waiting for him a stable home environment never caught a case while in his unit or in county and he still had to go to a halfway house. My experiance with SAFPF is never get your hopes up because they will always do the opposite of what you are hoping. My husband was only suppose to do 6 months SAFP and he ended up doing 8 because of the bed shortage in the halfway houses. There are several of us who have delt with SAFP so feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

ADGJJT
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
On the subject of SAFP and the pilot program....Does anyone know if there is some kind of county listing of the ones that are participating in the Pilot program? It's my understanding it depends on the county your paroling too. Anyone know?

WilcoMom
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd like to know if anyone here has experience with getting them into safp directly from the parole board, rather than paroling out then going back to county to wait for a bed. If so, I'd like to know the ins and outs of that. Also, there is something about paroling out FI-1 rather than FI-5. Thanks.

heartbroken_tx
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
1st. off i can say that only certain counties allow the pilot program, but not sure where to get the list from.

I do have a question, my daughter's counselor told me that no other inmates mother could ride with me to safp and back because it causes problems with the other inmates in the dorm. Where does she get the right to tell me how to handle my personal life? If anyone know that, i would like to know.

Thanks,

nofxjo2000
02-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I cannot believe they try and run into your personal life like that. Now, that is just NOT right. These people don't understand that it is not cheap going every weekend to see your loved ones and try to offer any ounce of support you can so that everyone is in higher spirits. That REALLY upsets me. And PLUS getting to carpool really helps emotionally, we are all each others support system....

lormur
02-09-2009, 07:37 PM
How are they going to know if two people or three people rode down in one car. i would have told her to stick to counseling and let me handle my personal life.

motherbear
02-10-2009, 01:38 AM
when my son was in SAFP several years ago,my X (his Dad) would drive from where he lived,met me there to visit our son, I remember on one occasion, he brought 2 with him and I had 3 with me, all the visit 4 different kido's,nobody ever said anything,we did that several times during our 6 months, we happened to be close enough, we could visit ALMOST every week-end

MissyM808
02-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Ok thanx for all the helpful info, but I have questions about ISF also. My man is awaiting transfer to safp at an ISF unit. The Parole board sent him there, anyone know if he will be eligible for the pilot program if he is in the right county or is it just for ppl on probation? Any info is helpful, Thanx again!

ReggiesLady
02-10-2009, 07:46 AM
Ok thanx for all the helpful info, but I have questions about ISF also. My man is awaiting transfer to safp at an ISF unit. The Parole board sent him there, anyone know if he will be eligible for the pilot program if he is in the right county or is it just for ppl on probation? Any info is helpful, Thanx again!

Missy, here is a link to a thread about ISF. If you have anymore questions about it the best place to post them would be there. Best of luck to you!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375875

wishbonesgirl
02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Here is what Im thinking....I have no factual basis for this just my educated assumption....lol

My hubby told me when he had the Pilot program meeting that they did it by "families" and gave them all the criteria and information about applying. SOme of them wanted to go to halfway and didnt want to go straight home but the ones that did were told how to proceed.
Here is my thought............if only certain counties (being the county that they were convicted in) are going to be participating then why have everyone given this info if they are not going to be eligible?
Lets say they say "Everyon from Fort Bend COunty in here is eligible for this.......out of 260 how many are from Fort Bend COunty? I know for a fact that the guys that are in his unit are from counties all over so MANY other counties would have to be participating?
Maybe Im just being naive and wishful....maybe its by unit?
His unit is in FOrt Bend..............anyway Im thinking about calling his PO and finding out if he knows anything. May sounds much better than September!
I hope we ge some real answers soon!

pmitch10
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Thank you wishbone for telling me what Safep was. :)

AndresWife
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Fort Bend County doesnt support halfway houses to begin with. My husbands charge is out of Fort Bend County and the only reason he is doing the halfway house is because we live on the other side of Harris County and his PO thought it be best that he spend 30 days there until she can get his probation transfered so he wouldnt have to travel so far for probation.

tabu71
02-14-2009, 11:44 AM
the pilot program is not being done in all counties , i know so far that liberty and polk counties are going to hwh. it goes county by county , u can probably call the po to see if his county is invoved in the program

kwolf150
02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
My experiance with SAFPF is never get your hopes up because they will always do the opposite of what you are hoping. .

Amen to that!!!!

angelsong5
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi my name is Renee,This was a good thread, Im new to all this my daughter is sitting in polk county waiting to go to safp, I hate the wait because you dont know when they are going, I was wondering about phone calls do they get them? My heart feels so crushed and I worry about her so much, And I think she will be going to Austin,
Take care

tx_mom
02-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello Renee

My son went to safep last week. I know you are scared, I am too. He was in county for about a month after his sentence, he got revoked on his probation having PI's and then they transfered him to middleton unit, he stayed there for about a week and then he went to Sayle unit(safep). I am not sure wear the womens units are, but I know with the guys unit, you have no clue to wear they go until they get there. I stay on here for hours a day, trying to figure it all out. When my son was in county he could call, but one he got moved he could not call out or he has not yet, and by talking with people I don't think it is going to happen, but you can write to them. Also, if you can it is good to put money in her account, so she will have it when she gets there to buy personal products. It looks like a good program and I feel like it will work. Everyone is so nice here. Someone who know more than me will come along and answer any questions you have. Take care & hang in there:)

kwolf150
02-17-2009, 05:56 AM
The women's unit's are in Gatesville and Burnet. Gatesville is special needs; Burnet is regular. You may be thinking of Burnet--that is near Austin.

They can call when they arrive to let a family member know they are there. After that, they may earn phone calls as a privilege every 90 days or so--one 5 minute call, monitored by a counselor and given when it is convenient for the counselor--so don't count on phone calls, unfortunately.

Hiswifey04
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
My husband was in Johnston Unit SAFP in Winnsboro Tx back in 2007. SAFP will work ONLY if the person is willing to change there ways. My husband only changed for a bit. I liked the unit where he was at. I attended the family classes they offered there. If anyone has any questions about them just send me a message.

angelsong5
02-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Thank you kwolf and txmom, My daughter has been waiting for over a month now. I think she is stronger then Iam. She said that by her bad choice she doesnt mind what comes her way,That she will make something good out of this ,She has been in county jail now since Nov 11, I did put money on her books so she can get what she needs, I keep enough on so when she leaves she will have it. Its just waiting for that phone NOT to ring.:(. I guess this is the part you let go and let God. Thank you again