View Full Version : Florida Reduction of Minimun Sentence Served?

far_away
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey all, my guy has been telling me that he read or heard on the news that the mandatory serving of 85% of the inmate's sentence may be reduced to (I think) 71% due to the bad economy. Since I am not in Florida and don't have access to wherever he got his information can anyone else let me know if they have heard of this?? I tried internet searches but found nothing. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

ricoswifey
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
There have been lots of rumors going around for quite sometime but nothing has actually happened. An inmate still must serve 85% & nothing has passed to change that yet. When these rumors go around, i hope, but i'll actually believe it WHEN I SEE IT happen.

WIFEY4848
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
i did hear the same thing today. i heard it from a friend who just got out and he said it came out that a drug offender falls under the 71% only or if you charge is nonvilent(my spelling sucks)lol but tommorrow i'll be calling my husbands class.officer and i will find out. i'll let ya know. keep our fingers cross

boop's mom
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
XXXXXX those are my fingers crossed, I have looked but can't find anything so please post as soon as you talk to him.

far_away
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed too!!! XXXXXXX

:D

WIFEY4848
02-04-2009, 09:04 PM
xxxxx same here i can't seem to go to sleep with this on my mind. i know i need to.

KaydensMommy756
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
sooo what did the class. officer tell you?????
xxxxx same here i can't seem to go to sleep with this on my mind. i know i need to.

jackeline
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
please let me know, i need to know. thank you girl

Jocenana
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
The story is that Crist wants about 83 million to build new prisons and they told him in order for them to consider that he needs to sign a bill that gain time goes to 71% instead of 85%. If you have to be non violent offenders and have a short sentence, atleast that is the story that my husband read in the paper in Hamilton.....

Proud_Navy_Wife
02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
What determines non violent offender?? My husband is in for a violation of his probation. His orginal charge was Dometic Violence/Battery then he violated with cocaine possesion. I have talked to his Classification officer and he can quailify for work release so his custody status isn't an issue.

ldinges
02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Jocenana, do you know what paper that was in? It makes sense, but...

Jocenana
02-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Not sure, he read it while at Hamilton in Jasper fl.....from what I understand you have to be a minimum custody with only about 6 mths left on your sentence....no violent issues, could be for drugs, VOP with no violent history, any non violent crime that they were arrested for and have a short sentence.
I do know that the lawmakers are in a termoil over what to do but he read what I said in the paper while in prison and then of course he heard some stuff on TV or the radio but I can't remember that. As we all know it won't be a mass exudos as not everyone will fall in the six month catagory at the same time....
Crist from what I understand only has a certain amount of time to sign this into effect or the deal is off the table....

leach
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
i found this website
http://www.miamiherald.com/business/story/912521.html

HopesGirl23
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I hope everyone is in high spirits, because the legislature and the Department of Corrections seem to be trying to do something about the overcrowding/need to build more prisions issue (mentioned later). I'd really like to see this article many of your are mentioning, but I'd like to clarify the Miami Herald Article.

BUT- this article references a Senator named Victor Crist, not the governor. And, this article does no more than to point out the fact that the business lobby is appealing to the legislature not to spend money building new prisons and instead to find a way to lower the prison population.

As a law student, I have done some research and as recently as last Friday, February 20, 2009 the Department of Corrections (a state administrative agency) published official notice, open for public comment, of its intent to change the rule regarded lost gaintime. The proposed rule contemplates returning lost gaintime to nonviolent offenders under certain circumstances.

I know this doesn't help out everyone's loved one- but it shows that the Department is taking affirmative steps to change the rules in their control. The Department of Corrections is not authorized to give more gain time than allowed by statute, that is something the legislature must address and may in the months coming up. The article does mention that the legislature's past efforts to create mandatory minimum sentences and restrict gaintime to 85% has contributed to the high prison population.

While this article does not promise or report that the legislature is actually doing anything, it is important to know that a very rich and powerful lobby is pushing the legislature to find ways to reduce the prison population instead of building prisons. The article suggests that the legislature MAY (but does not necessarily) give additional gaintime to nonviolent offenders, but the article also notes that many people may be uncomfortable with the idea of "releasing prisoners."

I think that the gaintime percentage max should be reduced to its previous seventy-something percent, but a different lobby was able to get it increased. We'll just have to wait and see or join in with the concerns of the "business lobby."

Wifey28
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I am also not able to sleep thinking about if this rumor is true or not. My hubby says there is so much stuff said in there that he cant really believe everything so i have been appointed to do the research. lol which i have come up empty handed so if anyone knows anything helpful i would be very grateful.

Lou's Wifey,
Jessy

KaydensMommy756
03-27-2009, 05:32 PM
http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/monitordocs/Presentations/3-19-09_Options_to_Reduce_Prison_Costs/3-19-09_Reduce_Prison_Costs_frame.htm
click here, i think they are trying to do something about it, this seems very promising

adriennelisa
05-01-2009, 05:46 PM
So I guess this is still rumor and not fact yet?

michael'swife24
06-29-2009, 02:21 PM
i would love to know, too. my hubbys away for 8 years over an accident (you could say he got royally screwed! thank you pasco county and his $30,000 attourney). this should have been a min. sentence and community service, but because of lies told on the stand, he got 8 years- was gonna have 60! so he did kinda get lucky. but he had NEVER been in trouble before! ugh! i would so love to see people in his situation as well as himself come home to their loved ones at 71%. thats pretty fair if they have to be 'punished'( i cant stand that word). what about community service- theres alot that needs to be done for our state- why not have extra man power to help. and get them the counseling and stuff they need instead of locking ppl up and throwing away the key. come on 71 %!!!!! we all pay the taxes that it takes to build these extra (unnecessary) prisons, so we should all be able to make this happen! 71%- its a good idea!lets just pray it happens!

ejordan865
07-12-2009, 10:06 PM
My fiance calls it Inmate.com LOL!:D

lisawashere
07-20-2009, 01:37 PM
my husband is in a wrc and some of the guys are getting gain time again even though it will put them under the 85% rule. they have to do something with everything that is going on. only certain inmates qualify for the extra gain time. like previously stated only non violent and first timers with not much time left to serve are the lucky ones!

Pat W
12-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Hi,
I also heard this about 6 months ago, that they were going to reduce 85%-71% I also have serched but never found anything That would be such a miracale, for all of us who have love ones in the system. Lets all pray that it comes to pass, And it's not a rumor to get our hopes up.:p

KingsWifey
12-30-2010, 11:08 AM
Hi,
I also heard this about 6 months ago, that they were going to reduce 85%-71% I also have serched but never found anything That would be such a miracale, for all of us who have love ones in the system. Lets all pray that it comes to pass, And it's not a rumor to get our hopes up.:p

These have been rumors for as long as I can remember. Until changes are made to the way they charge and sentence here in Florida, I wouldn't hold my breath about the % of time changing.