View Full Version : Need local area code/prefix UPC Sheridan

donnajeanne
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone, I have been reading this board for several months preparing for my significant other's incarceration. He self reported to Sheridan, Oregon on January 15. He was transferred into the camp on January 27. With all the good advice from this board, we were prepared. I wired money as soon as I got home from taking him to Oregon so he could buy his phone time and other essentials. We live in Washington State, about 50 miles north of Seattle, so it was quite a long drive. I got what I was told by Verizon to be a local phone number from Sheridan for my cell phone. He was able to call me for the first time yesterday, for 3, 15 minutes sessions. Then today he called me twice. He checked his phone balance and found that he is being charged 23 cents per minute. So apparently it is long distance. The number Verizon gave me is 503-853-****. They couldn't give me a prefix of 843 like the prison has. I am calling Verizon right away, obviously they were wrong in choosing a number. If anyone could give me some area codes/prefixes that are local to Sheridan, I would appreciate it very much. I am so grateful that this forum exists. Thanks for your help.

donnajeanne
01-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi again,

I am replying to my own post. I just got off the phone with Verizon. They have changed my number to 503-583-****. They say it is a McMinnville prefix. I hope this will work out. They also tell me that when I get my next bill, to call in and see if they can credit my account for the non-local number they gave me. The average person doesn't realize that it costs so much to go to prison.

j'sgirl2012
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
donnajeanne, let me know if the local prefix matters. I have been told that it's 23 cents a minute for them to call regardless of where, but I haven't gone through the trouble of getting a same prefix for where my man is. It's $69 a month for their 300 minutes. Never heard of a cheaper rate than that in the Fed.

Zelda50
01-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes, if you got the 503 area code and a prefix local to McMinnville, it will be a local call from Sheridan. I think it's 90 cents for a 15 minute call. About a third of the $69.00 for 300 minutes. The prefix does matter, very much - not just the area code. That's really nice that they'll credit you for giving you a non-local number. Zelda

MsMyBaby
02-04-2009, 12:59 AM
can someone please explain the whole area code thing...I thought they got the 300 minutes for $69 and that was it....if the call is cheaper, how does that work as far as the 300 minutes goes...I am confused

donnajeanne
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
What I've learned here over the past few months from veteran posters is this: Yes they get 300 minutes per month for $69. But if they call out and it is long distance they are charged $3.45 for each 15 minutes. If they can call a local phone number for the same 15 minutes, they are charged only 90 cents. So you can see how much further they can stretch that $69 if they can make local phone calls. They still only get 300 minutes per month, when that is gone, it is gone. But if there is money left in their phone account, it can be used the next month or whenever.

So what you do is have your cell phone given a local (Sheridan/McMinnville) area code/prefix so it is just like they are placing a call down the street. That is the number that your inmate turns in to get approved. I just called my cell phone company and they changed it on the spot. (They messed up the first time and the number they gave me was NOT local to Sheridan.) I'm still waiting to see if the second number they gave me will be all right. Now, this could be a problem if your cell phone is your only phone because all your friends/whoever would have to be calling YOU long distance on that phone. But most people have free long distance on their cell phones and even their land lines these days, so it might not be so bad. It would be worth it to me anyway just to help stretch my special inmate's phone budget further. Especially since I am the one sending the money to him.

I hope this makes sense. At first I kept confusing myself thinking of this: like my inmate would have the cell phone (I knew that was not right!) or his minutes had something to do with my cell phone minutes. But once you realize that the inmate can pay less per minute making a local call, it will become clear.

Hope this helps,
Donna

MsMyBaby
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks very much Donna for taking the time to explain it all....

Zelda50
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Or, if you don't want to have your only cell phone be long-distance for your local people (like schools, doctor's offices, etc.), you can pay to add another line with the number local to Sheridan. Or you can get one of those pre-paid phones and get a number local to Sheridan. Be sure it's not just the same area code - you've got to have a prefix that's local also. For Sheridan, a McMinnville number works. I waited awhile before changing over and, once I did, I wondered why I waited so long. It saves SO much money!! One more thing - check with your inmate to make sure he hasn't added or changed any numbers on his list within the past 3 weeks. Otherwise, you have to time changing your number over because they can only add or change numbers on their list once a month. You don't want to change your number and then have to wait 2 or 3 weeks until he can change his list.

Oceanmoon
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.vonage.com/lp/US/wow35/
you can choose the area code that you want with vonage. It is 25.00 a month and this is including everything.

Zelda50
02-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Is Vonage a phone system that goes through your computer? Or am I wrong about that? That means you have to be at home to answer the call, right?

Oceanmoon
02-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Is Vonage a phone system that goes through your computer? Or am I wrong about that? That means you have to be at home to answer the call, right?
It is ran throught the internet it does have call forwarding. So if have a cell phone you can have them sent to that phone.

luv4hym
02-07-2009, 01:14 AM
I did this same exact thing.. the local area codes are 503-870/560/437 good luck.
I also live 50 miles north of seattle and my husband is also at the camp..

merrysunshine
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
if the call is direct dialed from the prison it's .23 a minute, regardless. (used to be .06 for local/.23 long distance - now they are ALL .23)
collect calls are charged to the receiving phone (land line) at that company's rate. does not cost your loved one anything except his minutes of use.
international rates depend on the country called, the inmate can get the rates from his counselor.

Zelda50
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't think that is true. I haven't heard anything about the BOP changing the rates to being the same for long-distance and local for direct calls. I would think the inmates would have been notified of any rate increase like that. If I'm wrong, though, can you tell me when the change went into effect?

donnajeanne
02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Well, as of today at Sheridan Federal Prison Camp in Oregon, my guy is still paying .06 per minute. He will be calling again tonight, & I will have him do a double-check after our call. I hope the .23 per minute for local calls doesn't happen there.

only1love
02-26-2009, 12:39 AM
I thought that we were not allowed to forward calls from our land line to a cell? Is that correct? Or are we allowed?

Zelda50
02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Call forwarding is against BOP policy. Calls directly to a cell phone are allowed if the cell phone number is on the inmate's approved list.

skirv
03-21-2009, 10:13 PM
It seems to be the 6 cent rate is still working for us as well.