View Full Version : Are Classification Standards for violent offenders changing?

kerlkaj77
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
My husband told me tonight that they posted a notice in his housing unit saying that violent or dangerous crimes would no longer be a consideration in an inmates classification. Does anyone else know anything about this?

nala08
01-31-2009, 01:05 AM
What facility is your husband in? My fiance is in Crossroads, and he told me that he seen this posted in the HU too and something about it was on his tv, either going across the screen or on a channel.

From what he said, in the next 90 days they will reclassify inmates with 20 years or less, if they get a lower classification they will move them to a different camp. He said that he heard that they are trying to make crossroads only house inmates with 20 years or more time to serve.

The bad thing about it is that they have no idea where they will ship them too. I just posted a question about this to in the Crossroads forum so hopefully someone will come along with more detailed and accurate info or will tell us who we can call to get more info.

kerlkaj77
01-31-2009, 09:22 AM
My husband is at SCCC in Licking, MO. He said he went and asked and that they are trying to get them all reclassified in the next few weeks, and get the ones that are moving sent to the lower level camps. I hate that I won't know where my husband will be. All I know is that he will be MUCH further away from me than he is now. :(

nala08
02-01-2009, 01:02 AM
I know thats what I dont like about it, its really not that good of an idea if you ask me, but as always what makes sense they change, and what doesnt they dont.

Missin_My_Babii
02-01-2009, 01:41 PM
My husband is also at SCCC. He told me about this also... I am hoping that they do drop the levels because this would mean they would be eligible for parole earlier right? Or maybe get a parole hearing earlier? I for one plan on calling and seeing exactly what this means to us and our family and I will share the info I get.

kerlkaj77
02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah, my husband keeps reminding me that this is ultimately a good thing, even though it kindof sucks for us right now. I am used to visiting him pretty well every weekend, but once he moves we'll really be lucky for once a month. But in the long run, yeah, this is a good thing for the guys.

Christy
02-01-2009, 09:22 PM
All this means is that they will go to a lower level prison. They won't be released any earlier or get parole hearings any earlier. The law still stands on the 85%.

kerlkaj77
02-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, my husband's level has dropped already and he is thinking he will be moving pretty much immediately. He said that from the way the caseworkers are talking, they are highly motivated to get all of this done ASAP. Although this is great news for a lot of people, I can't help but feel like they're tearing my heart out. I need to see my husband WAY more than what I will be able to once he is moved.

ladytaz37
02-05-2009, 07:52 AM
My husbands in farmington and he went and talked to them and they said that it is going to be for everyone. They are doing this because the prison are to full and 3 of them in missouri are closing down.

Christy
02-05-2009, 05:55 PM
They could not possibly be closing 3 prisons. They are so backed up at the county jail level it will take them years to catch up! What prisons did he say they were closing?

dbmsbaby
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
They could not possibly be closing 3 prisons. They are so backed up at the county jail level it will take them years to catch up! What prisons did he say they were closing?

I heard something similar to this, and that it was b/c the new gov was reducing DOC's budget. I just figured it was rumor, but you just never know.

Christy
02-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I just don't see it happening because of the overcrowding already there, not counting all those waiting to get received into the system that are sitting in overcrowded county and city jails.

But, you just never know. Like I tell my husband, there is common sense and DOC common sense - they never match.

moobob28
02-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I asked my b/f if he had heard anything last night and a guard just happened to be standing next to him...so he asked him if he knew anything about three prisons closing down and the guard said he didn't know about that but he did say that nixon is trying to shut down the two treatment centers maryville and occ....something about them not being federal funded anymore....just thought I'd throw that out there!

***my b/f is in Maryville

sag
02-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Can anyone here with an inmate in a lower level prison (less than level 5) tell us if there are activites, programs, etc in these lower level prisons?
Specifically what will the difference be?

moobob28
02-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Can anyone here with an inmate in a lower level prison (less than level 5) tell us if there are activites, programs, etc in these lower level prisons?

My boyfriend was at pacific and thats a level 3 or 2 i dunno...but while he was there they had instruments (my b/f plays the drums...they had guitars and other ones). He said that there were like five different bands ie. rock, christian, oldies. That's mostly what he did there and worked out...he "liked" that place. Now he's in Maryville Treatment and they don't have drums there but they have guitars and a little recording studio...at both they had softball, handball, scrabble, tournaments for them to be in. He's gotten a few certificates for placement. At pacific he took the "purpose driven life" class....hope that gives you an idea!!! Oh at Maryville they have a different new release movie every weekend that plays all weekend on a certain channel too!

Ladybug801
02-07-2009, 07:44 PM

I know that WMCC has vocational programs woodworking, computers, auto repair, GED and a few others. There are activites such as church and native american groups that get together for different activities. They also have sport activities. It's a 3-4 camp. Sorry I don't know specific but I do know that they actually offer quite a few things for those who wish to participate.