View Full Version : DWI and Parole - Need help please

eaglesnj11
01-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Hi, I am on parole and I just got a DWI. I was put on csl(community supervision for life) after having an underage girlfriend(I was 19 and she was 15). I did two years of probation, and got through that. I have been on parole over 3 years now, and this is my first mistake.

I am assuming that I will violate, but does anybody know what I am facing? I am scared that I just ruined my life, after putting so much work into getting it back together.

Any information or advice would really be appreciated. Thank you.

bean123
01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
honestly, i've seen people who've been on parole, ISP, or drug court of something of the nature and violate for DWI, DUI or dirty urines and the longest they went to jail was like 45 days in county and then their officer made them go to inpatient rehab for 30 days and then they were released back into the program. im not trying to get your hopes up cuz none of them were on CSL so that probably factors in..but that kinda seems like the best case scenario. did you tell your PO? you honestly should do that ASAP if you havent. you dont wanna look like you are hiding something.

jasonzwifey2011
01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
good luck eagles!! Sorry I don't have any info for you, but I wanted to at least thro that out there. Bean is very knowledgeable about this whole system so... her advice is good. :)

God Bless,

*~Meri~*

iceprincessx3
01-24-2009, 10:19 PM
If your parole officer decides to not look past it, you will end up going to county jail and probably serving 2-3 months for violation of parole. They might make you do some kind of program as well. For you to get anything worse than that though, the prosecutor would have to press charges I believe.

lyteeydlwyr
01-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Your parole officer probably aleady knows. When you are on parole or probation in NJ and you get arrested, the information is automatically sent to them by the police department. The police department has nothing to do with the decision to violate you--that's the states issue. Usually a first offense DUI stays in municipal court, it's not upgraded so you should be ok.
You have the resposibility to call your parole officer and tell him what happened. you have to provide all your court documents once you've been to court and he or she will write up a report and send it to Trenton. Since it is a municpal offense, more than likely they will not violate you and make you go to AA, but ulitmatley, it is up to Trenton on whether or not you get violated. The district office has no say about violations. They can give their input and make suggestions on how the case should be handled, but it all boils down to Trenton.

eaglesnj11
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
i really appreciate all the input given and kind words. i spoke to a lawyer today, and he told me that a first offense dwi in nj is considered a traffic violation and not a criminal offense. he said that because it is a traffic violation, i don't have to tell my po about this. he said the only way he would know, is if i were sentenced to any jail time. is he giving me bad advice here? he said he was 100% sure on this.

lyteeydlwyr
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
i really appreciate all the input given and kind words. i spoke to a lawyer today, and he told me that a first offense dwi in nj is considered a traffic violation and not a criminal offense. he said that because it is a traffic violation, i don't have to tell my po about this. he said the only way he would know, is if i were sentenced to any jail time. is he giving me bad advice here? he said he was 100% sure on this.

It is a traffic violation, but if you were arrested, taken to the police station, mugged, finger printed and given a summons to appear, you still have to notify your parole officer. It's an arrest.

eaglesnj11
01-26-2009, 06:01 PM
It is a traffic violation, but if you were arrested, taken to the police station, mugged, finger printed and given a summons to appear, you still have to notify your parole officer. It's an arrest.

oh ok. well they never finger printed me. they just took me to the station, took a picture, and i had a friend pick me up.

ForMyBoy
01-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Aren't you supposed to report all contact with the police?

bean123
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
when james was on parole the first thing they told him when we checked in after i picked him up from yardville was to contact his PO if he got any tickets, was arrested, was even questioned by the police etc. they want to know everything.

jasonzwifey2011
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I would call just to be on the safe side. Better to be safe than sorry.

eaglesnj11
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
just wanted to update everybody on this.

well turns out my po did find out. she claims she begged her sargent for them to violate me, but they wouldn't do it. this did really piss her off though, and she was never really the same with me. i have a new po now, so it really doesn't matter now.