View Full Version : Which Is Better ? Privately Owned Facilties Or Otherwise?

loch-sloy
01-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi,

It's me again, sorry , but I am trying to "learn" what I can as to understand this 'system' ; so if anyone can please fill me in on the difference [ if any at all ] RE: Privately Owned Facilities and Otherwise Owned I would be very appreciative.

Also, who are the best 'staff'? to approach as to clothing [ singlets, underwear, sox, ect ?] as I do not think I would be able to afford prices of the 'facilities little shopping guide? Or how do I get a ' pricing list for such items? If I can [ MY son is illiterate ] so I need to do a lot on his behalf.

Loch- Sloy and Her Boy:

Holding On. [ On this " roller coaster " of emotions " ] .

MadeInOz
01-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Most facilities allow you to hand in underwear at the front visitor's center when you go for a visit. You can check with them as far as what else you can pass to your son. Note that the underwear has to be sealed in its original packaging. I would give the prison a call to find out the exact whys and wherefors, they are usually pretty willing to help.

As far as private vs government owned, I found that government owned was better, but its between the devil and the deep blue sea basically. There is always going to be an equal share of lazy csos, and good csos where ever you go. I spent most of my sentence in a government run facility, which I found to be generally fairly good - within reason. But where ever you go, it is still a prison, still got 99% of the same rules, still full of a$$holes. :P I think a lot of it is what you make of it - there are a lot of things that are out of your control in prison, and it gets a lot easier if you accept that as being the case.

alibren
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
I dont know if this is correct, but Ive read loads on the few prisons around brisbane and the ones that seem to have the bad staff issues are aurthur gorrie and borallon. they are both privately owned by american companies. They both seem to have bigger internal drug issues. They do not seem to treat there co's as well as the public ones and this is obviously reflected back on to the treatment of the inmates. Ive heard that once an inmate gets into borallon its hard to get transferred. However this is only in recent times. Things were very gruesome in the system until very recently. The state has decommissioned the notoriously inhumane prisons such as sir david longland. My guy was the first inmate to enter BCC formerly sir david that reopened in june last year, he is still there as a key worker. Before BCC's redevelopement It had been notorious for being a dangerously run facility with a cruel culture. There is a huge redevelopement underway in QLD of all publicly run prisons so I think if you have to be in prison then a public one would offer better opportunity especially if your able to gain work experience at the work camps. :)

LIW08
01-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Alibren,
I can only speak from experience. I am pretty certain that both Gorrie and Borallon are still owned by Queensland, but are operated by GAO, an American company that is a wholly owned subsidiary of a German corporation. (GAO's gross revenues last year were 800 million). I really don't know much about Borallon. Before BCC opened, Gorrie was a reception and remand center. My guy was there for a few months before going to Maryborough.

He would go back to Gorrie in a heartbeat, if he could. But the psychological abuse at Maryborough is the worst in Queensland. Nothing they can be held accountable for, but inhumane by any decent standard. Mind games like you would not believe.

It is close to impossible to get parole out of Maryborough. The parole board rubber stamps what sentence management "recommends" which is almost always "keep them in." On top of that, the regional parole board for north central routinely violates the law because they know most of the guys there can't take them to court and force the issue. The Brisbane board is 10 times more legally compliant.

So, I am not sure the issue is just public v. private, but which facility is involved too. Generally, the "talk" is that public is better, but in our experience, that was not the case.

loch-sloy
02-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Most facilities allow you to hand in underwear at the front visitor's center when you go for a visit. You can check with them as far as what else you can pass to your son. Note that the underwear has to be sealed in its original packaging. I would give the prison a call to find out the exact whys and wherefors, they are usually pretty willing to help.

As far as private vs government owned, I found that government owned was better, but its between the devil and the deep blue sea basically. There is always going to be an equal share of lazy csos, and good csos where ever you go. I spent most of my sentence in a government run facility, which I found to be generally fairly good - within reason. But where ever you go, it is still a prison, still got 99% of the same rules, still full of a$$holes. :P I think a lot of it is what you make of it - there are a lot of things that are out of your control in prison, and it gets a lot easier if you accept that as being the case.

I've tried and tried to "accept", "do as I'm told/ ordered", "watch the unspeakable", yet "nothing is 'ever' going to make these ppl happy", Crikey, I made a call to ask about "legal help/ got a call back saying "NO WAY AM I GETTING TO SPEAK TO ANYONE" RE: matter [ son is illiterate ] then "tested "positive" for "cocaine?" by worker BUT NOT by dogs??? 4 full vans rocked up 2 day [ not good] I'm feeling??? BUT I keep on smiling /offered a blood sample/and helped a disabled lady. They declined blood sample? checked my car out [ all was good of course, crikey , haven't a clue what that stuff costs ; but I can't afford it that's for sure.!!...NEVER SAY NEVER.

loch-sloy
02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I dont know if this is correct, but Ive read loads on the few prisons around brisbane and the ones that seem to have the bad staff issues are aurthur gorrie and borallon. they are both privately owned by american companies. They both seem to have bigger internal drug issues. They do not seem to treat there co's as well as the public ones and this is obviously reflected back on to the treatment of the inmates. Ive heard that once an inmate gets into borallon its hard to get transferred. However this is only in recent times. Things were very gruesome in the system until very recently. The state has decommissioned the notoriously inhumane prisons such as sir david longland. My guy was the first inmate to enter BCC formerly sir david that reopened in june last year, he is still there as a key worker. Before BCC's redevelopement It had been notorious for being a dangerously run facility with a cruel culture. There is a huge redevelopement underway in QLD of all publicly run prisons so I think if you have to be in prison then a public one would offer better opportunity especially if your able to gain work experience at the work camps. :)

It doesn't seem to matter what we do , we seem to be the enemy? yet I have not known anyone to be "pleased" with the treatment " they receive as Visitors.
GOD help "all of them in there", I can't even get a phone call through to anyone?
Tried being the "nice , smiling, "parent" but after yesterday/ "positive cocaine?" not by dogs but "staff?" that is a bit much to handle [ I would not have a clue about it but it read 6.3? Is that a lot?] I wouldn't have a clue. [ I told them to 'sell it and I'd get a good solicitor?'] joke of course BUT seriously , how the hell can I test "positive " when it is NOT true? I offered Blood sample , I smiled and was polite [ I'm usually quiet] BUT freaked at that stuff [ not nasty/ just disbelief ].Nothing is to be passed to My son at all and they gave me a weird address to send MY mail to HIM ? [ I'm "lost"] BUT I'm smiling and I'm saying: NEVER SAY NEVER.

alibren
02-05-2009, 12:56 AM
hi Lock,
I had the same problem last year. Id been at work and went straight to see my fiance and when they did the drug test on me i came up positive to heroine. That really scared me and I had to have my visit behind glass. I then went out and came back in again an hour later and they tested me again. This time the test came up negative and we were allowed a non contact visit. Is your son at BCC. If so they have the new system which is so sensitive its freightening. The CSO on duty told me it was probably because I had been handling cash that day. I now wear surgical gloves from when I get out of the shower until I get to the prison and I do not touch anything that includes sitting on the seats opening loo doors without using a tissue and I take my own pen to sign in. Its really important to avoid cash on the day of your visits.
Goodluck.

nutothis
02-05-2009, 04:52 AM
I am touching every kind of wood as I say, never happened to me visiting AGC however I have seen plenty that it has happened to. One of the visitors that went that I got chatty with as we were on the same day and time for about 5mths she had been at a womens prison previously one day they said that intel had been given information so they gave her a strip search.......oh the things the loved ones have to do sometimes to get in to see them. She had already passed the test that you swipe, been through the revolving door and passed the dog....ah

Nuthothis

betterman
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Do you have more rights in a government system? Or should I say does the courts?

This is the example. I have an 18 year old cousin in PPP on remand. He was moved into a high security adult unit basically for the fun of it, no explanation, no reason. Coincidentally the officer that moved him was a complete and utter cow to me when she was at the front desk and claimed his visitors list was not completed and I couldn't visit. Many contradictions came up in that confritation that basically showed the list was there but she just wanted to be difficult.

Anyways it came up in court in a bail application that he was being held in that unit. The judge was very unimpressed by it. Bail was denied however he asked for him to me moved to a youth unit. Key word being asked. He was in no position to make that happen. As a consequence he was not moved to a youth unit.

Would the judge have more influence in a government facility?

MisseyMoo
06-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Judges do not control the movement in jails.
I find it interesting that the lady who was on the front desk sorting out visits was the officer who moved your cousin's units. Generally they do not have control over that.

As for the OP about which is better Gov or private, both type of Jails are run under the same code, both have to abide by the Government sent rules and regulations. Ofcourse there are some Different policies and procedures, but nothing that really effects prisoners or their visitors.

I cannot comment on Maryborough, as for the undie situation, the best thing to do is to call the centre..