View Full Version : I'm worried about the visiting app

OsideNative
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
So I just finished filling out my application to get put on my babe's visitor list. I was looking at the rules for being approved/denied and one of them concerns me. The rule is:

(a) A person who is or has been sentenced and incarcerated for a felony crime in a state, county or federal corrections facility at some time in the past five years is ineligible to visit an inmate confined in a Department of Corrections facility.

So what I'm worried about is that TECHNICALLY I was convicted of a felony in 2006 that is in the process of being reduced to a misdemeanor. Yet when I was convicted, I chose 10 days of road crew over 150 hours of community service. Now when I look at a background check that was done, it says that I was actually in jail though I wasn't. I guess I'm just worried that I'm going to be denied. I don't know what to do.

Dawn.here2help
01-20-2009, 03:42 PM
It may be that they will deny you based on what is in the system right now but they should change that when it gets knocked down to a misdemeanor and then you should be fine. The other thing is that you and he can appeal their decision too. Sounds like you would have good grounds for an appeal.

Best translated....you may have to wait a little longer than normal to get on to his visiting list....but I hope not.

I will keep my fingers crossed for both of you!

Dawn

OsideNative
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks. I've gotta come back to Eugene for court to get it knocked down so it's taking WAY longer than it should. Getting back to Eugene from San Diego is not easy. Maybe I'll get lucky and just get approved so I don't even have to worry about that aspect right now. Then I can see him when I'm up there this summer :D And I completely forgot about appealing it. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.

one_luv
01-25-2009, 09:19 PM
We have a family member recently get approved for visiting who has a felony and is on PPPS. It was the counselor who was able to advocate and make it happen. If I were in your position, I would have your BF contact his counselor now, and explain the situation and ask for advice. Although the counselors no longer approve the apps, they no more about how it works. You will want to be careful about not claiming that you have a felony conviction because the last thing you need is to get in trouble for submitting false info.

Best wishes!

OsideNative
01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks. I will definitely tell him to talk to his counselor about it.