View Full Version : Sentencing in with Medical conditions

JoannaM
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
My sentencing is in April, if it does not get delayed again.

I do not know what time I'm facing I only know my PSR (pre sentencing report) so far has a number of 26, not good from my calculations. I am an insulin dependent dibetic with a seizure disorder. Scared does not begin to discribe it right now. As I read all the other threads I red the same thing over and over ...fear. What can or is done for inmates with medical conditions?

unitedforchrist
01-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Calm down and breathe! In Bryan, there is Dr. Thorne. I am not saying he is the best, but he is a true sweetie and will help you anyway he can. I too was diabetic. When you first come in make sure and bring your medicine bottles without pills of course or copies of your medical report, which is what I did. They will process you in and take note of all medical problems. They have insulin line in the morning and evening, which is actually great, because that means you are the first one to get to eat...and that can be cool depending on what they have. You will go to see the doc within a day or two and he will take care of you. They will give you some meds to take to the unit and others you have to go to pill line for...such as antidepressants. You will be fine! Just don't oversleep and miss insulin line. They announce it everyday. There are many women with seizure disorder who take phenobarbital and they give that at pill line.

missmkm
01-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I feared many things about going to prison...I mainly feared the unknown... once that was known then I was alright. I feared because I didn't know what was going to happen to me... which is typical. Once I got to R&D and got through it... esp. the woman with the island accent... then my fear level decreased a bit... once I got to my unit... my fear level went further down.... once I met my roomies and seen how welcoming and helpful they and others were then my fear went lower.... once I found my way around, got a job, learned the schedule and found a routine... my fear level was zero. I remember walking the track at Bryan and telling my roomie that when I thought about it... Although it was prison, that the last four months was probably the safest and healthiest I ever lived. I didn't have to worry about getting hurt there, didn't smoke cigarettes, and I didn't or couldn't get in a car accident for sure. Unless an officer ran over me with the riding lawn mower. Still, I counted my days, did a near daily journal.... I did my time... met some great women... just come out a better human being.... Go Well

WestTxRedHead
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I did my time... met some great women... just come out a better human being.... Go Well

I know this is a little off-topic for this thread & people on the outside think I am nuts when I say this, but.... Going to prison saved my life. It was a chance to reflect & regroup & make some much needed changes. I came out a MUCH better person than I was when I got off that bus in front of R&D.

Just remember - prison doesn't rehabilitate you. YOU rehabilitate you. You have a chance to further your education, learn some new skills, do some crafts. I got alot of help from Dr. Tharp in Psychology. He is no longer there, but that man reformatted my hard drive & changed the entire way that I think about things. There are other good psychs there as well. I also was diagnosed & treated for a medical condition that I was unaware that I had. Had I not gone to prison, neither thing would have happened for me. I got the help medically & mentally that I needed. I also learned some social interaction with people that I would have never allowed myself to meet before. And you know what? They were all just like me. :) I came out of it a more open-minded, sane & tolerant person. I made the best of the situation I was handed. That is the best advice I can give anyone facing prison: Make the best of it.

IntheProcess
02-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Great advice Red - I intend to do just that.

Be Well!!!!