View Full Version : Poppyseeds and dirty urine

bttrflylaw
01-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi All, I am so sad and nervous. My husband was in a pre release center (halfway house) and was doing well, he has been there since 11/20/08 (due to come home this May) and recentlly landed a job and started last week. Anyway, last week on his way to work he he stopped at Dunkin Donuts and had an "everything" bagel which contained poppyseeds on 1/9/09. The next day, 1/10/09 he had his urine test and yesterday, 1/13/09 he was in his room resting and was called into the office because the results of the 1/10/09 test came back positive for opiates.....obviously they came from the poppyseeds....he is devastated and in shock....he was taken to the detention center and called me from there around 5:30 PM yesterday, I could not believe my ears....apparently he is scheduled to have an "adjustment" hearing one day next week.....not sure what that means....any thoughts?

joetnymedic
01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd suggest he just tell them the truth. hopefully the test they did just doesn't say negitive and posative and gives a readout as to how much is in your system. from the amount of time from when the urine was tested and the results came back, i'm thinking it's one of the cheap ones. i'm not sure if his halfway house went over it with him, but i had to sign a paper saying i was made aware of and should not eat anything with poppy seeds just for that reason.

Good Luck,
joe

xsweetpeachx
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Opiates like morphine and codeine from poppy seeds only remain in your blood for 48 hours. I’m sure the judge and parole officers are well are of this and if not I’m sure there is a security camera in the store to prove his point. Don’t worry everything will be fine.

bttrflylaw
01-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Do you think that they are really going to go to the Dunkin Donuts and pull the camera to see that he purchased a bagel? I really doubt that......I am going to call his counselor tomorrow at the pre release center to find out if they were made aware of the poppy seeds giving a positive result and also to see if my hubby signed anything stating that he was aware...

StacysWar030
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Do you think that they are really going to go to the Dunkin Donuts and pull the camera to see that he purchased a bagel? I really doubt that.....If they try to charge him again or send him back a lawyer can. This is something very feasible and something that may need to be looked into ;)

My husband was in a 1/2 way house and yes he signed something warning him about poppy seeds. However, it is also known that it takes a whole lot of poppy seeds to show a positive. I would want to know what kind of test was given to show positive at such a sensitive level :confused:

Good luck honey as I hope for both your sakes they don't take this too far....

Stacy

canthelpbutwait
01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
I hope for the best for you in this situation. Remember honesty is always the best policy- hopefully the judge will see the truth in this and if not i would have him work with his lawyer to prove his story is indeed the truth

sarahh7778
01-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I was leery of this question when i first read it so I researched it a little and this is what i found on mythbusters, where they actually test it....

Eating poppy seed bagels or poppy seed cake can cause one to test positive for heroin and/or opium on a drug test.

confirmed

Heroin is a semi-synthetic opoid made from Morphine. If a test is sensitive enough it can generate a false positive simply by detecting the poppy seeds. Lawsuits have actually been filed and settled due to this phenomenon.

The website is...http://mythbustersresults.com/pilot3

I would be heading straight to that donut shop and getting the tape myself.

myluvsinbastrop
01-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Not trying to be negative or anything,It's true that poppy seeds can result in a positive drug test,but it takes ALOT more poppy seeds than the amount on one bagel to come back positive.Just a thought.:shrug:

bttrflylaw
01-15-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi, If you go to snopes.com and do a search for "poppyseeds" you will see a detailed discussion re this....it CAN and has happened over ONE bagel.

I don't have over the required 25 posts on here to post the URL to the info....maybe someone else can post it for me.

xgot420issuesx
01-15-2009, 08:13 AM
While it is true that poppyseeds can cause a person to test positive for opiates, it takes a VERY large amount to do so. Because of this, standard drug tests were changed, so that if you happen to eat a poppyseed bagel, you don't test positive. I watched a show on tv about this not too long ago. The wy the tests work is this, you may test positive, but the amount on opiate in your system will clearly show that is was not from opiate use, that is was from eating something with poppyseed in it. Now with that being said, on just a basic urine test, it will not decipher between the 2. So a positive result may come up, but it is blood work that needs to be done to prove that heroin or some other opiate wass not used, that the positive only came from eating a bagel. So if he told them that he ate a bagel, he should have asked bloodwork to be done immediately. Opiates do not stay in the system long at all. So bloodwork would have to be done quickly to prove he only ate a bagel and didn't use drugs.

anothersurvivor
01-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Indeed, the poppy seeds can result in a positive urine drop for opiates. While I was on parole I was FANATIC about avoiding them. He needs to do whatever he can to prove to the court that it was not opiate use.

sandymom
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Did anyone see the Myth Busters show on the Discovery channel about poppy seeds and whether they will actually make you test positive on a drug test.

What I found interesting was that many of the clinics who perform these tests and many of the makers of the tests have been perpetuating the idea that it is a myth. They briefly touched on the subject of people not getting jobs/loosing jobs b/c of this issue. It only took 2 hours to come out in a UA, after eating a baked good w/ poppy seeds. It I remember correctly, the test was sensitive to 1200 ng/ml.

Here is what is says in snopes. http://www.snopes.com/toxins/poppy.htm

cinderella2004
01-25-2009, 12:44 PM
These tests are always changing and evolving so I think its really important to have current information. That snopes article is from 12/31/05 so I don't consider that current when it comes to drug testing.

I know someone who owns a drug testing lab who is also the super moderator on a testing web forum. What she said last year is that poppy seeds will show a positive for opium on both instant and lab tests ... BUT ... will also show the level to be consistent with ingestion rather than illegal drug use.

So yes it will show positive but also the level and therein lies the rub!

kylee23
01-25-2009, 01:09 PM
I saw a study on the foodnetwork and one bagel will not do it takes like 20. look it up the girl ate one then peed then another so on till it came up dirty and it was close to 20

Taty765
01-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Wheeew... so i could continue to eat my daily German Breakfast roll...loaded with poppy seeds???...just maybe keep the receipts..in case my work place ever decides to drug test???
Thanks people for all this info..that was an interesting thread.. :thumbsup:

Bearoops
01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Yes you can test positive for poppie seeds, While I was working at a drug treatment plan in Oregon for the federal inmate program. We had a client who ate a multi grain bread sandwich for lunch and he tested positive for Opiates. HE FOUGHT IT AND WONE. From what I have the learned working in the field it is not the amount of seeds you eat It is the chemical break down in your body that will trigger a positive test when eating a small amount of seeds. And yes there are test's out there that can produce a positive on a small amount of seeds he ate. I would suggest your husband to take another UA test and a blood test ASAP to clearify the amount of opiate in his body tested for. Remember I am no expert on this but have been around the testing part of it for years.

myluvsinbastrop
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I know everybody has their own opinion as to how much will cause a positive drug test and ''just eating a bagel'' is like me chewing on a piece of string made out of hemp and ''thats the reason'' i pee'd dirty for weed...most people AREN'T saints so the court probably isn't gonna take the bagel excuse,they've heard it a million times

TedEBare
01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
The thing is, you have to watch for more than just poppyseeds on rolls or buns. They are other places that aren't nearly as obvious. My fiance' had some salad dressing one day. Thank God, he noticed those little black buggers before he put them in his mouth!