View Full Version : Orange County- House Arrest Q&A

currious07
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I have been sentenced to 120-days in Orange County Jail. On my probation order and minute order it says that Court Authorizes Community Work Program. The Judge didn't put anything in there about Home Confinement. Are they going to go back to him and get his approval first? I met with my probation officer and he recommended that I apply for Supervised Electronic Confinement. I filled out the application and it takes two weeks to process. They say that the cost is based on a sliding scale and won't let me know for a couple weeks. My surrender date is February 6th. Does anybody know anything about how they determine who qualifies and approximately what the cost is? It appears that the rules are very strict, but jail is too and I would rather be with my kids.

Any information on House Arrest would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Lipstick
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I have been sentenced to 120-days in Orange County Jail. On my probation order and minute order it says that Court Authorizes Community Work Program. The Judge didn't put anything in there about Home Confinement. Are they going to go back to him and get his approval first? I met with my probation officer and he recommended that I apply for Supervised Electronic Confinement. I filled out the application and it takes two weeks to process. They say that the cost is based on a sliding scale and won't let me know for a couple weeks. My surrender date is February 6th. Does anybody know anything about how they determine who qualifies and approximately what the cost is? It appears that the rules are very strict, but jail is too and I would rather be with my kids.

Any information on House Arrest would be very helpful.

Thank you.

My husband was on House arrest before and it was really expensive, they determinte it by your whole household income, regardless of relationship... I dont know the specific's but we had to pay 125.00 a week! so thats $500. a month and my husband was not working at that time, that was just based on one salary.... I would guess min $75 - 100 a week..... We got to the point where we could not afford it,and he did not complete the program, he turned him self into county and did the rest of his time. Thats the only way out of it.... If you dont have the money I would suggest the community service, its better at least your not locked in the house 24/7 my hubby couldnt even take the trash out, it was out of bounds and the lights would blink..... If you have any more ? you can pm me.

david25
01-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Work program is better. House arrest you are locked in your house 24 hours a day. If you have family members living in your house then you are not allowed to go outside. Going to the market, etc only they are allowed to go outside. NOT YOU

Take the community work. It is better. Very hard, but better.

Ask around the community and others will say so

Good Luck and God Bless you

gibbyslady
01-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Jail,community service...house arrest all suck!!

If you like staying home and can afford it do house arrest...it is expensive!!!
Years ago i had to do 120 days of community service and it took me 2 years,3 extentions from the judge to complete. I was assigned to a park and at first they had me working after but a while i was working in the office...

GOOD LUCK!!!

currious07
02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Thanks to all your response. I took the house arrest, it is very expensive, it will cost me $1900.00 for 119-days. That is the minimum, some people pay $800.00 a month. I have kids, single mom, work out of home. They will allow me to go out 3-hours for shopping per week, church on Sunday, doctor's appointments for kids and myself, school assemblies, parent teacher conferences, tax appointment, etc. They do have me on GPS, so i have to go where i say i am going...they will know. Being that I am a single mom with three kids - would be difficult for me to be away from them. This will allow me to continue to work and make money to support them. The CWP program would be difficult, because it would take me longer and keep me from working.

Again - thanks to everybody for their responses.

currious07

mindmltn
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I just got sentenced to 270 days in OCJ for my third DUI and the deal with the DA and Judge was that they would not deny me Home Confinement.
I see the rules for getting approval are strict.
I have three DUI's and I was arrested way back in 98 for Possession with the intent to sell and assault and battery but the assault and battery charges were dismissed in 98 and I plead to the drug Possession with the intent and did 6 months and three years of felony probation and did everything and got off probation early back then.
Would that make me not eligible for home confinement?
I am also on Pain medications for severe pain and it is all legitimate that I am a chronic pain patient being treated by my pain management doctor at Kaiser and I have to be on these meds and have been on them for 6 years now.
Will they let me take them while on home confinement?
The guy said no and then said that would be up to the probation officer.
I am going to be living with my family in HB and I have a full time job that knows I got sentenced to this and is going to write me the letter and everything and are behind me on this 100%.
I guess my questions is are they going to drug test me the day I go in to apply and will I get denied because I have prescribed opiates in my system?
Also will they be coming to the house all of the time and embarrassing me in front of my neighbors?
Any info from anyone who has done this in Orange County Ca in the last year would be greatly appreciated.
Lastly will my priors in 98 bar me from getting approved even though it was that long ago and I did everything and got off probation?
My lawyer said it is a slam dunk that I will get it but he is shyster and hasnít been up front with me through this whole ordeal.
Anyone who has gone throuhg the application process and is on it or has done it could tell me what is is like I would really apreciate the info.
Thanks everyone.

halebop
09-23-2009, 12:28 PM
As for work release being hard...that VERY much depends on the exact assignment you get. My husband is on work release in Los Angeles county.

He was told that the work itself is very hard (physically demanding) and they're just ready to send you back to jail if you slip up even the least bit.

He has missed tons of days. He has to make them up - but no real consequences.

Also, he's usually done in 5-6 hours (they can keep you up to 10 a day) and he says the guys like to bring sweatshirts even when it's hot so they can roll them up and use them as pillows to take turns NAPPING!!! seriously.

That may not be the norm at all - but it happens.

lovestar0685
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
does anyone have any experiences with home confinement or home detention with the electronic supervised confinement ankle bracelet?

i have to apply with the orange county probation dept. i have a few questions about it maybe you can answer or help....

it says i have to give all the names of the people i live with including their names, date of birth, social security and drivers license. will they be monitoring and can see the people i live with as well? why do you think they need this information? i stay with two other people and they are not aware of my dui and the home confinement yet. i'm scared to tell them casue i don't want them looking at me differently.

another question....will a probabtion officer (i do not have one, i'm on summary probation) come to my house to check on me unexpectedly and talk to my room mates and myself? do you know how this part may go? will they let you know ahead of time that they are coming or will they just come whenever they feel like it? what happens when they do come over? do they talk to the people in the house as well or just me who is being confined?

one last question....do you know how i will be monitored? will there be a person following my every move looking at me on a computer? will they (the person monitoring me) be able to see who i interact (such as room mates) with and know who that person is and see the person as well and know who it is? will they be able to see my every move and see me clearly, like google maps.

and one last last (and kinda dumb) question....is it a violation if i am intimate with my boyfriend while we are living together? will they be able to know that we are being intimate with one another?

hope someone can help me. thank you.

poolside
11-02-2009, 10:38 PM
The reason that they need the identifying information of your roommates is to see if they have active warrants or previous records. Felons, mainly.

What they will do is fit you with an ankle braclet, I'm assuming. It's set to set off a signal if you leave the house. Some of them are so touchy, that you can't even sit on your back patio, or take out your trash, without triggering the alarm. I've heard very bad experiences with those things.

They won't be videotaping you, so don't worry about that, or listening to your conversations. It's just like being attached to a GPS tracking unit.

That's all. Don't worry.

Oh, sometimes they make you install a machine to your telephone line and will call you randomly and make you blow in to the machine and it can detect if you've had any kind of alcohol. There is a small video camera when the machine is activated, so they know that it's you. That's only for certain alcohol related release conditions though.

lovestar0685
11-03-2009, 03:25 AM
thank you poolside for your response. really appreciate it :thumbsup:

few more questions.... will they (probabtion officer) come over to my house randomly just to check up on me? do you think they will talk to my roommates too? and if they do come over is it in a police car or a regular car?

will they know there are other people in the house through the ankle bracelet?

would i be allowed to have company over? sometimes my landlord stops by to collect the utilities bill or to collect rent on the first of the month. do you think they would be okay with that going on?

and do you think they will accept me if i am just going to school right now and not working? i am working but just part time right now and i wonder if saying i work part time will affect my chances of being accepted.

poolside
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Home confinement and work release are two different things. On work release programs, you usually have to go to wherever they call you and tell you to go. Usually it's picking up trash, etc. You are released during certain hours. We need someone other than me, who only had one experience with it....to pipe in and help answer your questions.

I do know that the probation officer can stop by at any time, although they rarely do for low level offenders. You need to make sure there is NO alcohol in the house and if your roommates have alcohol, it needs to be LOCKED in their room. Assuming that's going to be a condition of your home confinement.

The ankle bracelet will have no idea who is in your home. It's not a camera, it's a GPS. Big black bracelet like they show on TV! I'm sure it's no problem if your landlord stops by, as long has he's not an ex-convict.

All P.O.'s that I've seen drive unmarked police cars, so don't panic.

You should have no problem getting home confinement, although you'll need to ask if they'll let you leave for school. They told my son-in-law that he could NOT work at his regular job, they he had to do "community service" type work for the Sheriff's.

Good luck! Hopefully another member here will answer you too.

halebop
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
also, probably a good idea to inquire about the cost for "house arrest" in OC.

LA County can be very expensive. they say it's based on your ability to pay - but they factor in the income of everyone living in the household even if they aren't related to you and their income has nothing at all to do with you (and they'd not be helping you pay anything)

that may be completely untrue in OC but worth finding out about as soon as you can. another thing that is true in LA (but maybe not OC) - you can't have call waiting on the house phone and you do have to have a landline. (can't use internet phone or cell phone). If you do have call waiting, your roomates would have to agree to turn it off during your house arrest. Again, please keep in mind that I only know this to be true in LA County so it may not apply to you at all. Just something to check into.

good luck!

poolside
11-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Great point on the call waiting and especially the income of all household members. Guess she'll have to disclose to her roommates what is going on. They'd figure it out anyway, when she's housebound, refusing to walk in to the driveway and wearing a big black bracelet!!

lovestar0685
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
thank you so much for your replies :). i understand a lot more about the home arrest program. thank you.

poolside
11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Keep us posted!!

mindmltn
11-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Keep us posted!!
I am waiting for denial or approval in OC and I was told by my lawyer it would be no problem.
Unfortunately they were terrible and didnít help with the application or my case.
I have a record from when I was 17 to 21 that is bad.
I have two felonies from 1998 for sales and I did my felony probation and got off early and never have anything since except for the three DUI's that got me 270 days in Jail.
Now itís been a month and I havenít heard back from them and I sent in my app about a month ago.
Tomorrow is the 7th business day until I have to turn myself in and I donít think I am going to get it.
Does anyone know if people who have not been in any bad trouble but had a history 10 to 15 years ago still got approved?
I was honest and listed everything and I have heard yes and no from different people but no one can tell me that they had the same kinds of experiences and I am 32 now and have a great career and Job and my family needs my financial support and I am a chronic pain patient and I need constant meds and medical care.
I have a rheumatologist and pain management Doctor and have proof of my medical conditions and I donít know if that would be a factor or if they will just see my felonyís and just say no and all of the other things I have done when I was a kid.
Like I said I am not a bad person and I am so scared that I am going to be denied can anyone please email me and let me know if they have any info on multiple offenders and felonies for sales and other drug ad stupid stuff that is ten + years old still getting approved.
Thanks in advance everyone.
Joe.

lovestar0685
11-07-2009, 10:06 AM
you should call them and ask about you status and whats going on since they have not called you yet.

sandrafelix4u
11-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I also have questions on how long it takes for OC probation to process the application for house confinement for someone who is incarcerated at Theo Lacy Facility. I heard 2-3 week from the monitoring place then 4 weeks from probation. I also want to know what is the process will they be visiting him or calling me before he is released or do they just let him out and then he calls me to go get him.