View Full Version : Furloughs in work release

jamie22
01-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Does anyone have any info on when they get furloughs when they start work release? I've heard anywhere from "immediately" to "30 days". Also, is it true that after a little while they can leave every weekend? I don't want to get my hopes up too soon. And one more thing, do they need to go to the reception center before going to their WR camp? Thanks everyone!:)

ben's girl
01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
My husband has never been in WR, but from what I've gathered it will vary by WR center when they are eligible for furloughs and how often. You do have to be an approved sponsor before you are can pick him up for a furlough, though. He will have to have a medical evaluation before he goes to WR, but I'm not sure if that necissarily has to be done at a reception/medical center or not.

GottaLuvJustice
01-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I spoke with a Major who oversees the work release center that my husband will be going to in March. He told me the basic process and said it takes 2 or 3 weeks before he can be furlough approved. We were also told that the first four furloughs will be 4 hours and subsequent furloughs will be 8 hours. And yes, weekly. Their "week" starts on Mondays so, technically, you could get a furlough on a Sunday and then again the very next day, since Monday falls into a different week!

Pretty cool, huh! We are so looking forward to it!

veryverylost
01-17-2009, 05:47 AM
I have a question about this.
My backround is clean. I was arrested years and years ago one time...and the charges were dropped and I never went beyond the holding area or even saw a judge so no conviction.
Other than that....I have one moving violation ticket that is not even due yet...

I'm confused because the major reviewed my paperwork with my man and he said it would be approved with no problems. Come to find out days later...and looking forward to this weeked being our FIRST visit at home...that I'm NOT approved.

No one in the office can figure out why as there are no explanations and I guess it is usual to have something as an explanation!!

I am so frustrated. I cannot honestly see ANY reason why I would not be approved.
We have a son together and are engaged and I have a secure residence....I am not some menace to society!! Like I said, only had one problem years ago and it never turned into anything.

ANyone have anything similar happen?

TOROSE
01-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone have any info on when they get furloughs when they start work release? I've heard anywhere from "immediately" to "30 days". Also, is it true that after a little while they can leave every weekend? I don't want to get my hopes up too soon. And one more thing, do they need to go to the reception center before going to their WR camp? Thanks everyone!:)

Yes, they do go to the reception center before being transfered to the WRC, he is going to, he should of giving 2 choices of the WRC, he would like to go to, though he won't know of which one until he actually gets there. Furloughs are approve after about 6 wks or so, every facility is diferent, you'll have to see, they begin with 4 hours for the first four times, which is weekly, then 8 hours, weekly, he will only be able to leave with a sponsor which can only be a spouse or parents, unless authorized by DOC, must hace a valid Dr. Licence, and a phone to the home he will be going to..they do call and ask specific questions only he will know the answers to, he will not be able to go anywhere except the location, all this info will be given to him at that time...good luck..it's a great program, as long as he doesn't forget it is still prison..rules are the same...

TOROSE
01-17-2009, 07:14 PM
I have a question about this.
My backround is clean. I was arrested years and years ago one time...and the charges were dropped and I never went beyond the holding area or even saw a judge so no conviction.
Other than that....I have one moving violation ticket that is not even due yet...

I'm confused because the major reviewed my paperwork with my man and he said it would be approved with no problems. Come to find out days later...and looking forward to this weeked being our FIRST visit at home...that I'm NOT approved.

No one in the office can figure out why as there are no explanations and I guess it is usual to have something as an explanation!!

I am so frustrated. I cannot honestly see ANY reason why I would not be approved.
We have a son together and are engaged and I have a secure residence....I am not some menace to society!! Like I said, only had one problem years ago and it never turned into anything.

ANyone have anything similar happen?

The only thing I can think of is that only a spouse or parent can be a sponsor, to allow him to take him out on furloughs..his CO will be able to explain, then go from there, you might have to make the desicion to make your wedding vows sooner than you expected if you have to.

JrBLaM
01-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Hey Ladies! My man is at WR so I thought I would share a bit of our experiences. I will say that every WR seems to be different so it will depend on where he goes. My man is at a privately run facility but the DOC still controls some things.

Regarding if they go to reception first, my man did not... however he did go to another main camp for a few days and then to WR. He is in northern Florida.

veryverylost regarding your sponsorship, when my man first got to work release we were told as long as I was his fiance I would be approved. I got there for my first visit and found out I was denied! It was horrible. Apparently, I was denied because I live out of state. Well, now we have learned that the rules changed and you can not be approved unless you are DIRECT family and being engaged doesn't count! I am pretty sure you can't get married when they are at WR so it's not even an option.

As far as how long it takes to be able to furlough, where my man is you just have to have a job before you can go. As long as your working and you have an approved sponsor its once a week, 8 hours.

Hope this was helpful! Work release is hard because they all seem to be different and it seems you just have to learn as you go! Good luck to all who have men on the way to WR it is has been a really good thing for my man :)

ldinges
01-17-2009, 09:44 PM
JrBLaM is correct. EVERY center is different. My husband could not go on furlough until he got a job. The 1st one is four hours and he can't go out of the county where the center is. I live in a different county, so it will be a motel. Do not go anywhere except where you tell them you are. I will have to go get the room first and then let them know where and the room #. As said before, they will call and they will visit at this center. I won't be able to go out to get anything either, as the sponsor will also be asked ?'s to make sure you are there as well. If I was told correctly, it will be 8 hrs after the first furlough.
Some centers let them go on furlough after just a couple of weeks or a month being at the facility. Some let you go to another county to go home. Make positively sure that your home phone line is clear and not tied up in any way. They will send them back to prison if they don't talk to the inmate.
Make sure you have anything you want to eat for lunch and breakfast or that it can be delivered. Make sure you have enough gas in your car, as when an inmate is with you, you are to go directed to your destination, then you call the center, and they will call, who knows how many times, and you will have to call in before you leave to go back to the center. I think this is basically the same at most centers.
He'll just have to ask what their rules are, suggest, as in a main facility, or work camp, not to believe the inmates too far. They are telling incorrect info at Work Release. The officer's will also tell you different things, so it doesn't change much as far as these two things go.
It makes them feel so good to be able to wear their own clothes and to finally have a job. The ones that really want to change anyway. It's just amazing the things some of them still pull to go back to where they came from. It's hard for me to believe that so many just walk away and don't report as they are supposed to. God Bless and I hope everything work out for you.

beccabean777
05-10-2009, 10:36 AM
West Palm work release doesn't require you have a job first. You have to be there about 30days first, then you get sponsored which is just a simple peice of paper I picked up on visitation. We went to four 4 hour visits and then to 8hr visits from 9am-5pm. What sucks is that if they fool around and ignore you which they DO and don't clear count right on time that is time OFF your furlough I sometimes didn't leave with him till almost 9:30am and yup you still have to be back in 4hrs! I think its a game they play with you I have heard nightmares of people coming and the guards saying they didn't put intheir paperwork for furlough. A guard tried it with me and kept passing over his form, which I know his handwriting a mile away after years of letters and flat out told him you keep passing it up! He had no choice but to let us go. The hotels are another problem, because check in isn't till like 11am they try to hold you there by saying the room isn't ready yet.......knowing they r from work release I think they do it on purpose too. Seeing every other person come in and get their room right away and we were made to wait 1 and a half hours in the lobby out of our 4hr visit. So just be careful of some frustration that can mount in a hurry when your ready to be with your husband!;)

kbpb
05-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi, my fiance is applying to go to West Palm WRC. Since we're not married yet, do you know if I could be approved to pick him up for furloughs or would only his parents be allowed to? Also, like other people were saying and because every work release center is different, are the rules the same at West Palm as far as us going to one place only where there's a phone and not be able to leave that place?
And is it true that you are not able to get married while at work release? Why would that be the case if you can get married in prison?
Thank you for your help!!!

West Palm work release doesn't require you have a job first. You have to be there about 30days first, then you get sponsored which is just a simple peice of paper I picked up on visitation. We went to four 4 hour visits and then to 8hr visits from 9am-5pm. What sucks is that if they fool around and ignore you which they DO and don't clear count right on time that is time OFF your furlough I sometimes didn't leave with him till almost 9:30am and yup you still have to be back in 4hrs! I think its a game they play with you I have heard nightmares of people coming and the guards saying they didn't put intheir paperwork for furlough. A guard tried it with me and kept passing over his form, which I know his handwriting a mile away after years of letters and flat out told him you keep passing it up! He had no choice but to let us go. The hotels are another problem, because check in isn't till like 11am they try to hold you there by saying the room isn't ready yet.......knowing they r from work release I think they do it on purpose too. Seeing every other person come in and get their room right away and we were made to wait 1 and a half hours in the lobby out of our 4hr visit. So just be careful of some frustration that can mount in a hurry when your ready to be with your husband!;)

Deusmortis
05-27-2009, 03:19 AM
As others have said, things vary from one center to another. As for me...

I stopped at the reception center, but didn't even stay the night. It was kind of odd. We were cuffed like normal, and got off the bus at CFRC with several other transfers. The four of us who went to WR that day got sent to the next section of the sally port, where we were un-cuffed and loaded onto another bus. It felt weird to ride on a DOC bus without cuffs and shackles on.

I went to Ft. Pierce, the other 3 went to WPB. We qualified for Furloughs after 30 days, but mine took longer because my Dad was denied. He was denied because his car was still registered in my dead mother's name, so he couldn't get approved until the vehicle he picked me up in was in his name... We did not have to have a job first. I was permanent party when I arrived, so I couldn't have gotten a job anyway.

I don't remember ever having a 4 hour furlough, but if I did, it was only for the first few times. If count cleared late, you lost some of your time. They didn't allow any time for travel. Regardless of when you left, you had to be back by 5pm. You could only take the furloughs on the weekend, so we could not take one on Sunday and then another on Monday, as suggested earlier. You could take the 3 hour furloughs throughout the week, and they were less strict. I managed to take a few furloughs out to favorite restaurants for lunch by telling the staff that I had an interview at that location.

At the center, our classification officers were actual correctional officers. Mine worked 3rd shift, so I rarely ever had a chance to talk with him. I had to apply for the furlough every week. I had to give my paperwork to another officer and trust them to turn the papers over to my officer, which didn't always happen. I lost out on 2 furloughs because the paperwork didn't get to my officer.

During each home furlough, the center called at least once, usually around midday count. They would talk to my sponsor and me, but I don't remember them asking questions that only I would know. One of the officers did visit during my furlough once.

We were only pat searched on the way back in, so you could pretty easily smuggle something small back in, if you wanted. Looking back, it was a silly risk, but I did manage to get my favorite necklace in that way. It was a gift from my mom, who had died while I was inside, so I was willing to take the risk to keep it close.

kbpb
05-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Thank you for your reply. I have another question... what is the difference between visitation at a regular camp and work release? Are the rules still the same? Thank you.

Deusmortis
05-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Once again, this is something that varies from center to center. I can tell you how visits were for me at Ft. Pierce:

There were no vending machines, but your family could bring in pretty much anything; fast food, a home cooked meal, etc. They even had a charcoal grill set up, so you could bring in some coal and meat to cook during the visit.

We had an outside area with a roof, no inside area.

We could wear our street clothes, or our DOC issue white uniforms.

Personal cameras were allowed, so we didn't have to pay for pictures.

Starting and ending times were the same. We didn't get strip searched like we were in main facilities, just patted down on the way out and back in.

You could have a furlough and a visit on the same weekend.

That's about all I remember, hope it helps.

tampamed
05-30-2009, 07:41 PM
If the inmate has a parent on their visitation, but let's say that their parent couldn't pick them up for a furlough, could a cousin pick them up? Or what if the inmate has no immediate family, but a fiance or best friend, are you immediately ruled out or is it just made more difficult to be a sponsor? Also, I see they don't allow for travel time, but how far is the average they will allow you to travel. I live in Hillsborough and let's say he was in Pinellas (35 min drive), would that possibly be allowed?

Deusmortis
05-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Only the inmate's designated sponsor can pick him up, no exceptions. I've heard conflicting stories about fiancees. Some have said that only immediate family can be a sponsor, others say that a fiancee can be his sponsor, if no immediate family is available. I'm sure that best friend is immediately ruled out.

I don't think that travel distance is a concern, but we weren't allowed to leave the county. I don't remember my Florida geography exactly, but if Pinellas and Hillsborough are in the same county, it should be ok. If not, you can have a furlough at a hotel room, so long as the room is reserved ahead of time and has a phone.

jlo3586
06-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Once again, this is something that varies from center to center. I can tell you how visits were for me at Ft. Pierce:

There were no vending machines, but your family could bring in pretty much anything; fast food, a home cooked meal, etc. They even had a charcoal grill set up, so you could bring in some coal and meat to cook during the visit.

We had an outside area with a roof, no inside area.

We could wear our street clothes, or our DOC issue white uniforms.

Personal cameras were allowed, so we didn't have to pay for pictures.

Starting and ending times were the same. We didn't get strip searched like we were in main facilities, just patted down on the way out and back in.

You could have a furlough and a visit on the same weekend.

That's about all I remember, hope it helps.

I have a question for you.... was your family able to drop off food everyday or just at visitation?

f0R3VER-iNl0VE
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey ii have just read all the information you wrote about palm beach work release my man will be qoinq there shortly hes waitinq 2be picked up hopefully this tuesday he was at a different work release and now beinq transfered to be closer to home, we both dont know what to expect would you be able to help us out on any information please, best reqardes qod bless

Deusmortis
06-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Jlo, they couldn't really "drop off" food at any time. During visitation, they were allowed to bring food in for us to eat, but we couldn't bring anything back into the center.

I'm pretty sure that food was one of the things that we could never bring into the facility. We couldn't bring something back from work, or buy on our shopping furloughs. We did have vending machines inside the facility at Ft. Pierce, with sodas and snacks. We could use those machines and the microwave throughout the day, but I don't remember being able to bring any of it out to visitation.