View Full Version : Polunsky Unit visitations - Texas Prison

putergirl
01-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Did anyone visit Polunsky last weekend (12/27/08)?
I arrived around 11am (big mistake) and the line was so long; there was a 2 hour wait. I decided to do an outside visit (bigger mistake) because not only was there a 2 hour wait to get inside, but there was another wait for an inside visit.
Needless to say we had to cut our visit short because the rain came down hard and the weather drastically changed so we were both shivering.
I'm going again tomorrow and this time I'm leaving extra early and bringing an umbrella!!

putergirl
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I just came back from visiting; I got there at 8:36am and already there was a LONG line! I waited an hour and a half to get processed in.
One thing to know is that they no longer allow anyone to use the bathroom in the entry point. Several people were upset last week and this week complaining, so remember to use the bathroom before you arrive, otherwise you'll have to wait until after you get your blue slip!

J.R.'s Annie
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks. My husband is going next weekend and will appreciate your information.

Valentine4ever
01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
visitation is getting more and more ridiculas now we r being pat searched,taking shoes off they even made three couples lose the rest of their visit because one of them had to use the rest room now how crazy is that

sasasoto
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
visitation is getting more and more ridiculas now we r being pat searched,taking shoes off they even made three couples lose the rest of their visit because one of them had to use the rest room now how crazy is that

So we can't use the restroom during a visit ?? I never have had to as I norm just go before at the ones down the hall from the visiting room but if you have to go during your visit you lose the rest of your visit ?? What the :confused: Good to know so thanks for the info.....

putergirl
01-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I forgot to mention about that! If an INMATE has to use the restroom, they cut your visit short. I'm not sure how my hubby knew that, but he made sure to use the restroom before he came out to see me.

putergirl
01-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Did anyone have any trouble with visitations this weekend?
I didn't go, just curious to see what issues there were.

sasasoto
01-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I went on Friday and had no issues at all. Well, except one... One of the vending machines kept eating coins, but that's about it.....

tmc0814
01-12-2009, 10:51 PM
i went this weekend, other than the guards overly-bossing everyone walking through the door, visitors having to wait outside in 30 degree weather to be allowed in for the pat search, and warden hirsch giving orders that inmates can choose between using the bathroom or get their 2 whole hours of visit, everything else went pretty smooth. i've talked to people on other units, the bathroom issue seems it may be completely the bright idea of warden hirsch and not tdcj in general. my husband is filing a grievance about it. :mad:

twiceblssd
01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
I have gone for a visit every weekend since the big lock-down lifted!
Sometimes I walk right in and some times it's a 2 hour wait! Ugh!!!!

What is crazy is that I do a regular visit....when you get inside and there are empty seating places everywhere and you have waited for 2 hours it doesn't make you a happy camper!
Just because there is a 2 hour wait on inside tables should not slow down the processing of the open seating. Why can't they just have a sign up list outside for the waiting list and then clear through security when the seating opens up?

A couple of weeks ago when it was raining I pulled up to the gate and the Co told me it's a 2 hour wait. He went on to say are you sure you want to wait 2 hours in the rain? It was as if he was discouraging my visit! How wrong is that????

This last Sat. I waited longer inside for them to seat him then I did outside!
They seemed to be disorganized!!!!

I heard one of the men request to use the restroom a couple of weeks ago...he was informed he would have to end his visit! He told the Co....it's these water pills....they replied with sorry! I understand this is not up to the Cos' they are only doing their job.
The entire thing is craaaaaaazy!
Oh and the no restrooms available until you clear security works well with children and elderly people!

If it is their goal to discourage visits I don't think it's working well....the line of people to get in is plenty long! Praise the Lord!!!!!!

cjSweetwater
02-09-2009, 09:10 PM
My husband told me that they are now not enforcing the "new" rule regarding bathroom use. Also, the CO's are now having to keep track of the visitation time again. For awhile they were making offenders keep track of their own time and if they didn't end the visit on time they would get a case. Not sure but I heard that Hircsh is gone. Could be wrong so don't take it for gospel.

*4-everfriend*
04-02-2009, 01:41 PM
I have a good friend on DR at the Polunsky Unit and my 1st visit will be sometime this month (April 2009). I am totally clueless about the whole thing. Especially now after reading these postings - ya'll had to stand in line 2hours before going in to visit ? Why, is it that crowded ? And does anyone know what the DR visits are like here ? Thanks

putergirl
04-07-2009, 06:44 AM
The lines are not as chaotic as from these last postings. That was during "lockdown". And since you're doing a DR visit, I'm not sure how those are either. I know those visits are during the week so it may not be as bad as the once on the weekends. Hope that helps and if you have any other questions, just ask :)

Michelep68
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
I have friend who is in Ad Seg at Polunsky and I'm going to visit soon, coming from Dallas. I've visited other units, but it seems that Polunsky is totally different due to DR, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

LissaJ2094
04-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a good friend on DR at the Polunsky Unit and my 1st visit will be sometime this month (April 2009). I am totally clueless about the whole thing. Especially now after reading these postings - ya'll had to stand in line 2hours before going in to visit ? Why, is it that crowded ? And does anyone know what the DR visits are like here ? Thanks

When I went to visit DR, there were only 9 of us total in the visitation area. This was on a Thursday morning. The rush usually occurs in the afternoon hours, so if you get there at or before noon, you should be good. There was only a small line to get into Polunsky, and that was from workers coming back from their lunch. The most you might have to wait is after you've gotten into the visitation area, as they're retrieving whoever you're visiting. It only took about 10 minutes or so for me, but can be up to an hour if he's in the rec room/yard, showering, etc. The CO in charge was rather nice, told us his time was up, and let us wrap up our conversation. If you have any other questions you want answered, I'd be glad to help. :)

tinalynn23
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
What is a DR visit?

GraysonMom
04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
That is a visit with an Offender on Death Row.