View Full Version : How long does it take!? :(

ForgetMeNot111
12-30-2008, 09:52 AM
How long does it take a letter to go full circle typically for you?? As in- you send out the letter- how many days does it take to get to him, and then once he sends the letter how long does it take to reach you?

I'm new to all of this, and my "best friend" if you will was just sentanced to 18 months... so we've just had our first letter exchange but all in all it took about 10 days to go full circle. I sent it out the 12th, and then his letter was dated the 17th and I recieved it the 22nd. Is it normal for this process to take so long or is just the holidays?? It's very aggravating because I want to hear from him NOW and often, and I hate that exchange takes this long. I'm not yet on the phone list either so this is our only means of communication, so not only is it killing me but I'm sure it's also bothering him because I'm basically his only form of contact. Also, according to the post office online calculator it should only take 2 days to reach him but that doesn't seem to be the case! :( Anyway, sorry for rambling ladies... I just really really need to hear from him and this is just rediculous how long it's taking! I sent out another letter the 23rd, and then also the 24th and I'm imagining by now he's got to have them but I just really feel that realisticly I should be recieving a letter back today or tomorrow and I don't know that that'll be the case. I can only hope and pray, lol. I know I've only recieved one letter yet far but hearing from him is my only ray of sunshine these days. It's rediculous but everyday I am constantly looking at the clock waiting for my postman, and when he does come I'm so disspointed that the mailbox doesn't have his letter in it; even when I know "realisticly" it's too soon. I really didn't ever imagine exchange taking this long ladies, it's torture! Anyway.. I guess I'm done ranting, for today anyway, lol. ;) So please ladies if you can send me some mail dust or something because I really need my sunshine. :( And sorry for the ranting and rambling, hopefully you all understand, lol. :o

MZKELLOGS
12-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Ours is prolly bout 2 weeks, 5 days to get there, then write back, then 5 days to get back, but thats cause im in the uk, but we dont write letter for letter anyway, just keep writing and writing, we all complain of no letters, your not alone!

ant's wife
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
i send my letter monday he gets it wednesday he writes me back sends it thrusday i get it saturday im in pa he's in va

his_lucky_charm
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
if i send his letter out monday he gets it wed. if he write right back then i get it on saturday.

it could be because of the holidays and the letters are getting read over before they even send it out of the prisons/

Ms Nick Deere
12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
when i write and sends it out Monday he gets it the following Monday.
and i get his a week later. Mail always take a while going in but coming out it's pretty fast. i am in FL, and boo's in Cali. we just keep writing.

ForgetMeNot111
12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't know what's going on then ladies.. something isn't right. It seems on average you're mail only takes about 6 days to go full circle.. yet mines taking 10, somethings wrong w/ that picture! I thought it would only take 6 days initially, first day you send it out, then it takes 2 to get there, then he replys that night, send it out the next day, and then an additional 2 to get to me.. so idk whats going on!! :mad: Should I call the prison or is it probly just the holidays??? I'm aggravated over here... Idk what the hell they are doing w/ my mail, holding it hostage or something for a day or two it seems! :no:

Thankyou for the replys though everyone, I really appretiate it!

alisonxoxo
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
It takes 20 days!! 10 days from when I send the letter till he gets it and than 10 more days from when he writes a letter till I get it.

I hate it!!!~ Takes wayyyy too long =(

I'm in BC Canada and hes in P.A

light at end
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
10 days really isn't that bad. Don't call the mail room your getting your mail in a reasonable time. Once the holidays have passed the mail might start getting a little faster.

I don't know what's going on then ladies.. something isn't right. It seems on average you're mail only takes about 6 days to go full circle.. yet mines taking 10, somethings wrong w/ that picture! I thought it would only take 6 days initially, first day you send it out, then it takes 2 to get there, then he replys that night, send it out the next day, and then an additional 2 to get to me.. so idk whats going on!! :mad: Should I call the prison or is it probly just the holidays??? I'm aggravated over here... Idk what the hell they are doing w/ my mail, holding it hostage or something for a day or two it seems! :no:

Thankyou for the replys though everyone, I really appretiate it!

WaitingForHer1
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
The last letter I got from 4B reception was 12-22 Dated 12-18.

He said he would send a letter 12-22. Still havent got it. I live in Lakeside, California

Isweoriswenot
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
If I sent him a letter Monday, he should get it by Wednesday. Then he would drop it in the box Thursday and I might get it Friday or Saturday so I would say about 5 or 6 days.

Elijah's Love
12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
I can mail out a letter Mon morning he'll get it Tues, he sends it out Tues night/Wed morning and I get it Thurs ...

BUT we're only about an hr and a half apart and in a small facility so there hasn't been a major lag with them thankfully

shygirl25
12-31-2008, 11:17 AM
its seems like it takes a about 7 days from the day i sent it, and them for him to get it. i wrote him a letter on the 14th and he got it the 24th....but it is just a couple of days for me to get his...im not sure if lately its been slow cuz of the holidays but it does get kinda annoying...

ForgetMeNot111
12-31-2008, 01:43 PM
10 days really isn't that bad. Don't call the mail room your getting your mail in a reasonable time. Once the holidays have passed the mail might start getting a little faster.

He's in FL though and so am I... so I'm just not really understanding what's going on. If it's reasonable though I'm for being a big baby, lol. Naturally I just want mail to go back and forth as quik as possible so this 10 day thing is getting on my last nerve, lol. And now we have yet ANOTHER holiday tomorrow (new years) so that's another day I won't get it. :mad:

LissaJ2094
12-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Typically it takes 5 or 6 days. But I only live 2 hours from the prison, so that's part of it.

Waiting4MyLuv
12-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I live about 70 miles from the prison and he's at a small facility (houses 280 inmates), so our mail is really fast. He gets my mail the next day and I get his the next day. Even during the holidays, we continued to get our mail on the same schedule. The only time this varied was when I first moved back in early September. I'm actually 30 miles closer to him and in the city where our mail goes to first, but it was taking 2-4 days for me to get his mail (he still got mine the next day). I asked the guy at the post office about it and he told me it was because the city I live in now is much larger, so there are more addresses per zip code. I fixed that problem by getting a p.o. box and we're back to getting mail the next day.

His_Moll
12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
We are in the same city and now it is taking 7 days for it to go full circle, this never happened before so I am assuming that it is the holidays. The only thing I can tell you is write every day (even if you haven't heard from him) and tell him to do the same. Sooner or later you both will be receiving letters every day!

light at end
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Your not being a baby. I completely understand you want you mail. I'm sure once the holidays are past your mail will pick up by a day or two. If there is one thing prison teaches us it's patience. Just hang in there. As His Moll said write every day and you'll start getting mail every day.

He's in FL though and so am I... so I'm just not really understanding what's going on. If it's reasonable though I'm for being a big baby, lol. Naturally I just want mail to go back and forth as quik as possible so this 10 day thing is getting on my last nerve, lol. And now we have yet ANOTHER holiday tomorrow (new years) so that's another day I won't get it. :mad:

QPunky7408
12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
About 2 days If he sends monday I get it wednesday and vice versa also with my Pen Pal who is in VA and I am in NY!

Kenny's Babee
12-31-2008, 05:51 PM
I am lucky with Kenny. Mail is only a 2 day lapse, I send it out today, he gets it tomorrow, i get a response the following day. Only exception is the weekend and holidays of course. My brother on the other hand, it takes WEEKS and mail delivery from the post office is only 3 days so the rest of it is the stupid mail room.

nevaeh2morrow
12-31-2008, 06:01 PM
maybe he is not replying as quickly as you think he should??

ForgetMeNot111
12-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks ladies for all the responses, as quite a few of you suggested I think I'm just going to start writing way more often, atleast until I'm on the phone list, well, tomorrow of course is new years so I won't be receiving anything then but hopefully it comes friday or saturday, otherwise I'll be stalking the mail man down on monday, ll. And you're right light at the end, patience is critical and I guess I'm learning that the hard way huh? lol. I'm hangin in there though, just missing and needing my sunshine but I think we all know how that is. :rolleyes:

And that thought did come to mind momstime, what if he's not replying as quikly as I think he is?? But knowing him I really doubt he's waiting any longer than a day to write me back, if that. Of course though you never really know. This next letter I send out I'm going to make a point of writing down somewhere when I recieved his letter, and then also making a note on the envelope of what day I send out my return letter. I'm going to ask that he do the same for this next letter and every letter thereafter, hopefully this'll get to the bottom of things and allow me to have more accurate send/receive data. ;)

Well Ladies, I encourage you to continue to answer the "how long does it take" question as I think regardless of my current situation the responses here are very informative for not only myself but all PT members!! Thanks again!!

Hannya
12-31-2008, 10:05 PM
We're both in the same city. He usually writes on Sat/Sun, it's postmarked Monday and I receive it Tuesday. So two days to get from him to me.

Mine, on the other hand, seem to take longer to get to him. I mail one nearly every day and he seems to get them in clumps towards the end of the week.

I'm assuming the delay is happening in the mail room there.

He's in Donovan, by the way.

As of today, I haven't heard from him for a whole week. I suppose they're still playing catch-up in the mail room.

Iamjustagirl
03-04-2009, 07:18 PM
If I send a letter out on Tuesday, he will get it on Thursday and I will get my response on Monday..

OsideNative
03-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I write him a letter, postmarked on say Monday. It'll get to the prison on Wednesday. He gets it either Thursday or Friday because they supposedly have 48 hours to get it to him. Then he'll write me usually within 2 days of getting it. Then it'll be postmarked 2 days after it was written (Usually. Sometimes it's more) and it takes 2 more days to get back to me. I think thats like Monday to the following Wednesday/Thursday. So I guess all in all it takes about 10 days or so. Which sucks but what can you do?

tanyat702
03-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Mine has taken up to 20 "full circle" at some times. Other times....about 6-8 days or so....

jellobean
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Well I'm only about an hour from the facility where he is now, and our letters take about 1-2 days. I got a letter that was postmarked March 4th today (the 5th) and the one I got yesterday was postmarked the 3rd. I'm not sure how long it takes him to get my letters, but it's probably a similar amount of time. That could change though when he moves if he goes farther away.