View Full Version : How does a prisoner file for ssi?

Chris'sBaby
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me how a prisoner would file for ssi in texas?

Illinois
12-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the PTO! Pull up a chair and post away.

HardHeadedWoman
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
welcome to PTO ! not sure about your state but here in south carolina a inmate can not apply for SSI during incarceration since the state is "supposedly" already seeing to their needs

Mark2008
12-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I've never heard of someone receiving SSI while they are locked up. Good heavens, the government is already paying through the nose to house and feed them. The LAST thing they ought to be doing is paying them money!! As if the states and feds aren't bankrupt already!! If that was possible, I and a lot of other people I know would have filed while we were locked up.

Sometimes, if a person is already on SSI BEFORE they are locked up, it takes a while to get it stopped. Legally, they are supposed to pay back anything they got since the day of their arrest.

Once the person has been released, they are eligible to apply for SSI like anyone else.

Patrickj
12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I was wondering if someone could tell me how a prisoner would file for ssi in texas?

Upon release the person may apply for SSI SDI You may want to also review this link http://www.ssa.gov/disability/ (http://www.ssa.gov/disability/) If a person is in custody they may nor receive any benefits due to that the individuals personal needs are being met and are not able to participate in any programs offered to them .

Disability Starter kits link :
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits.htm

nightbird
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I wonder how it effects dependents of theirs if they got disability before they went to prison and were getting benefits!!

Mark2008
12-31-2008, 02:59 AM
Well, if I am supporting my family by working a job earning, say $30,000 per year and get arrested and locked up, guess what? I lose my job, I lose my salary. I call it "collateral damage". My wife might have to find a job, I might lose the house, car, etc. Is the government going to send them a monthly cheque to replace my lost income?

Yes, being convicted often carries much more than the actual prison sentence itself.

peace77
12-31-2008, 11:18 PM
An inmate can apply for SSI benefits prior to release.

You need to have a pre-release agreement with Social Security or an anticipated release date.

Understand that no benefits will be paid for any month or any partial month of incarceration. It may be difficult to prove disability while still incarcerated.

From Social Security's website:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10133.html

If your institution has a prerelease agreement with the local Social Security office, it will notify us if you are likely to meet the requirements for SSI or Social Security benefits. We can then process an application several months before your anticipated release so that benefits can start as soon as possible after your release. You should contact institutional or social service staff to find out if the institution has a prerelease agreement with Social Security.

If there is no agreement, when you know your anticipated release date, contact Social Security to apply for benefits if you think you may be eligible. Then we can take prompt action on your application.

peace77

peace77
12-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Nightbird,

Contact your local Social Security office or call the national number.

From Social Security's website

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10133.html

"Although you cannot receive monthly Social Security benefit payments while you are confined, your spouse or children can be paid benefits on your record if they are eligible."

Peace77

no_Wedge
01-02-2009, 02:06 PM
they can not be given ssi while in prison they are considered "Property of the State" they are already given free medical, food and housing, that covers more than ssi would

love2rldl
01-02-2009, 04:53 PM
it doesnt effect their dependents, my guys kids ma still gets disability for his kids, he also recieved it for one year while in jail (he does not have to pay it back) if he could have made bail he would still have been disabled therefore needing the money to live. He did have to pay for his meds ect while in jail. Once he was convicted the payments stopped and he had to pay back the month of his conviction amount.
quote=nightbird;4292785]I wonder how it effects dependents of theirs if they got disability before they went to prison and were getting benefits!![/quote]

StacysWar030
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, if I am supporting my family by working a job earning, say $30,000 per year and get arrested and locked up, guess what? I lose my job, I lose my salary. I call it "collateral damage". My wife might have to find a job, I might lose the house, car, etc. Is the government going to send them a monthly cheque to replace my lost income?

Yes, being convicted often carries much more than the actual prison sentence itself.
Uh, no the government is NOT responsible for your family in this type of scenerio. Your WIFE can file for welfare. However, most states will require her to find a job!

Stacy

waitingforkim
01-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Unless one of the children or the wife is disabled they wont give it to you. Even on the outs Its hard to get. They put you through the ringer. I know because I have amputation left hand, depression since 18, Degenerative disks (have to sometimes crawl around on floor to get from room to room, ADD, panic attacks and they denied me. My attorney is appealing to appeal council and I still don't know if I will get it. If you do decide to try, get an attorney. The only charge if you win. Good luck and welcome.