View Full Version : Cosmetology in Prison

Soon to Go...
12-29-2008, 10:14 PM
I will be serving a 13 month sentence and have heard rumors of a cosmetology course. Does anyone have any information on this?

I heard that they do hair cuts, coloring, nails, etc. for free with an appointment!

Does anyone know and can confirm this?

Would I be eligable for this program?

This website is the ABSOLUTE BEST!!

michellesatx
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I was at Bryan from Sep 07 to June 08. The cosmotology course is 1 year and ran October to October so it really depends on if you are there at the right time.

unitedforchrist
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM
It is definetely based upon your time frame. Also, there is usually a waiting list and those with the quickest out date go first. If the 13 months is to be actual time served, you might get it. They have changed it now where it starts in January I believe...had a friend just finish. They do let you work on the other inmates hair, Sometimes that can be good and sometimes that is bad. I think the class is still around $300. Also there is horticulture which is given by Texas A & M and allows you to have a Master's Gardeners certification. They have started charging for that, but it is minimal. That is a four month course and you could definetely take that. There are also tons of other classes, crafts, college, etc you can take. Stay busy and you will be fine.

WestTxRedHead
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
You buy your hair color off commissary then make an appointment for cosmo to get it done. You can go once a month for color, cuts, styles, etc. When I left in 02/08, they did not do nails but that may have changed by now. You can get nail polish on the commissary along with files, etc., to do your own mani.