View Full Version : Do they have to claim income/pay taxes?

Desert Lady
12-29-2008, 05:56 PM
When they have a job in prison and are making - basically nothing - do they have to claim that income? I'm preparing to do my son's taxes for him and just wondering if that's reportable income or not.

Thanks!

12-30-2008, 08:08 AM
I would only have the assumption that the answer to that would be no because tax forms are considered contraband in prison.....so it would be very hard for them to file taxes every year on their pay without them....

1.7 Unauthorized property or material discovered in incoming mail shall be removed from incoming letters and held as contraband. An inmate Property/Contraband/Disposition, Form 909-6, and Notice to Sender of Rejection of Incoming Mail, Form 909- 3, shall be completed and sent to the inmate. The inmate may elect to have the item(s) destroyed or may notify the sender at his/her expense to make arrangements for return of the items to the sender at the sender’s expense. 1.7.1 The Department shall not pay for the cost of returning unauthorized property or material that includes, but is not limited to:
1.7.1.1 Unused postage stamps. 1.7.1.2 Stickers, labels, address labels or decorative stamps. 1.7.1.3 Photos where the non-photo side can be separated (polaroids). 1.7.1.4 Photos of other inmates. 1.7.1.5 Unknown foreign substances and/or powders. 1.7.1.6 Oils, perfumes or personal property Items. 1.7.1.7 Lottery tickets or games of chance. 1.7.1.8 Tax forms. 1.7.1.9 Battery operated greeting cards, or greeting cards of excessive size (larger than 8 " by 11"). 1.7.1.10 Unused Greeting cards, stationary, pens/pencils and envelopes. 1.7.1.11 Used postcards. 1.7.1.12 Bookmarks. 1.7.1.13 Inspirational cards or medals. 1.7.1.14 Candy, gum, or any food items. 1.7.1.15 Art, crafts and hobby supplies.

ENSWHITED
01-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought i was told they have to fill out a w-2.. that would indicate that they have to pay taxes..

01-02-2009, 11:33 PM
A W-2 is what an employer sends to it's employees showing wages earned and taxes paid on their social security number....I'm sure you meant a W-4.....

Where would the State send the W-2 if their address is in prison and they cannot receive tax forms??

WaitingFor2012
01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
To file taxes one needs to have made $2000.00+ in a year. The inmates do not have to file. If you are the spouse of an inmate you can file a joint return with him as being unemployed. Than is what I do.:thumbsup:

Desert Lady
01-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Ok, thanks. My son had a job from January until August and made enough money that he has to file. I have Power of Attorney for him so I will be filing for him - I just was trying to find out if I also had to include his wages he made the month of November and December while he was incarcerated.

I'm finding lots of different answers. I've heard that the prison files for them and keeps whatever money they get. Then I've heard that money they make while incarcerated isn't reportable.

I have asked all the CPA's at my accounting company and they have no idea. I guess I'll just file for what he earned before he went in and hope I don't get him in trouble for not claiming the additional income.

ENSWHITED
01-03-2009, 01:21 PM
yes, thank you 1031, i meant w-4.. they wanted eric to fill one out to work, but then they gave him medical release.. my brother is a CPA im going to ask him if he knows anything..

A W-2 is what an employer sends to it's employees showing wages earned and taxes paid on their social security number....I'm sure you meant a W-4.....

Where would the State send the W-2 if their address is in prison and they cannot receive tax forms??

Sei
01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
To file taxes one needs to have made $2000.00+ in a year. The inmates do not have to file. If you are the spouse of an inmate you can file a joint return with him as being unemployed. Than is what I do.:thumbsup:

That is the same thing I do with my husband, I file jointly with him being unemployed. I also have a full power of attorney from him so that helps out a lot too. By the way, do you file your taxes by yourself? I always go into H&R Block but I having to pay those expensive fees just to have them do it.