View Full Version : Inmates at Bradshaw serving TDC time...

strawberry6977
12-25-2008, 02:30 PM
OK, I hate to be impatient here...but this is getting ridiculous. :rolleyes:

My husband has requested numerous programs, trying to stay productive while incarcerated. I know most if not all units have waiting lists, but I believe they are longer in State Jails and smaller facilities. He is NOT a State Jail Offender, but regular TDCJ. He is in for DWI, so he is wanting to stay involved in AA and/or Substance Abuse Program. He's also wanting to take Vocational Courses and get certified...that isn't offered at all in a State Jail. And of course, it doesn't help that Bradshaw is dirty and dangerous (gang activity, fights, so loud & rowty they can barely sleep at night - guards do nothing about any of it).

He requested all of these programs over a month ago when he arrived at Bradshaw, with no response yet. I've already called the unit and the Ombudsman to complain about them not getting back with him, but that still doesn't mean the waiting list isn't long.

He's up for parole in June 2009 - which isn't too far away, and we'd love for him to get started in any if not all of his programs so he can be able to show the Parole Board he's been productive (show certificates or whatever).

Anyway, to my question (sorry for being long-winded):
Realistically, what has been all of your experience (personal or have seen going thru this Forum) of the average stay in Bradshaw for TDCJ Offenders? I would assume around a month, but I know they can stay there for up to 2 years...that's way too long, so I'm hoping not. Or else I'm gonna start writing letters to request a transfer to somewhere he can begin his programs and stay productive.

You would think that TDCJ would want their inmates to stay busy, and rehabilitate any problems they have (such as substance abuse)...however, I know overcrowding super-seeds what an offender may need.

davidsister
12-25-2008, 09:12 PM
My husband is having the same problem. He also wanted to get into some classes to help pass the time, but nothing!! My husband has been there since October 23rd. I keep hoping in a way that they will move him, but I'm just afraid of where they will move him to.

strawberry6977
12-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah. I am going off and I know others have the same problem, or worse. So, I don't want to sound like a whiner. LOL ;)

I trust my husband when he says that Bradshaw is the worst jail or prison he's been in. Unfortunately, he's been in TDC before. So, I'm sure anywhere they put him other than Bradshaw would be much better...even though I know not perfect.

I have written a handful of key people, asking about how long it has to take before an inmate can start being productive...or take classes. Heck, my husband has a "job" in the unit as a mechanic, but he hasn't even started that yet. He's just sitting there wasting away. If they need rehabilitation or want to work, then TDCJ and the Texas public can't complain if offenders get out and go back to their "old ways"...if TDC won't let them get involved! They should have a right to be involved in classes, especially if they are eager and requesting them. I know there are waiting lists, but I get the bad feeling it's longer at Bradshaw, because 60% + of offenders are in for a substance related offense...and it's not a huge prison. And since it is a State Jail, I'm sure the State Jail offenders probably flooded if not get first pick of the programs there.

Sorry, I went off again.... :)

ldonnarhea
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
I've been away from the internet over the holidays, hope I'm not too late in offering a little information from my personal experience. (Gosh I never thought I would be offering any type of experience on here). Anyway, my brother was moved to Bradshaw back in May 2008 from Gurney as a TDC inmate. He was in the WORST part of Bradshaw until September, after repeatedly submitting requests to be moved to the faith-based dorms. He just got his interview for parole. His PED was August 1, 2008. His PRD is September 2009. We're hoping and praying that we'll know something by mid Jan/Feb. Talking with the Palestine IPO, that's when we'll know for certain whether he gets released. When we was convicted back in April 2008 on drug related charges, his attorney (waste of $$) said he would probably be out by Christmas 2008. Anyway, I hope this gives you some information on a timeline. Good Luck.

davidsister
12-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Do you mind me asking what dorm he is in? My husband said the dorm they have him in is the worst one at Bradshaw. He said it is the dorm that houses the uneducated inmates. Which I do not understand why they put him there. He has college credits and is very well educated. I don't understand how they figure out where they are going to put them!!!!

I've been away from the internet over the holidays, hope I'm not too late in offering a little information from my personal experience. (Gosh I never thought I would be offering any type of experience on here). Anyway, my brother was moved to Bradshaw back in May 2008 from Gurney as a TDC inmate. He was in the WORST part of Bradshaw until September, after repeatedly submitting requests to be moved to the faith-based dorms. He just got his interview for parole. His PED was August 1, 2008. His PRD is September 2009. We're hoping and praying that we'll know something by mid Jan/Feb. Talking with the Palestine IPO, that's when we'll know for certain whether he gets released. When we was convicted back in April 2008 on drug related charges, his attorney (waste of $$) said he would probably be out by Christmas 2008. Anyway, I hope this gives you some information on a timeline. Good Luck.

ldonnarhea
12-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm trying to remember what he said. When he was first at Bradshaw, I think he said it was E dorm. And it was so bad that he never left his cell unless he had someone he trusted with him. He told of guards letting a gang member in his dorm to "settle a score" to another. And I don't know which "faith-based" dorm he's in now. But it's so much better and safer. Just tell him to keep submitting those requests. I'll ask him when I go visit this weekend what dorm he's in now. If you want my opinion for what it's worth. I think they put the new inmates in the worst dorm to make an impression. Because he was in that "hell-hole" for a few months before he was able to transfer. Keep praying.

davidsister
12-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Yes my husband is in E Dorm!!! He said the samething about the guards letting other gang members in there to settle scores and such!!!! He said the guards told him it was the uneducated dorm "the butthole" of Bradshaw. I am so praying that he gets moved soon. He said that there is a gang in there that has been threatening to steal everything from eveyone once they make store. I just have no use for people like that. It just really irritates me to think that someday those kind of people will be released back into society with no remorse for anyone or anything. Wow let me step away from my soapbox and put it away for now. Thanks!! I just needed to go off.

ldonnarhea
12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Not a problem. What makes me sooo mad is that CCA could care less about what the conditions are, the safety of their employees and inmates, etc. Yeah, I know if you don't want to be exposed to those conditions, stay out of prison. But heck, two wrongs don't make it right. I know what you mean about gettin on the soapbox. I say a prayer that your husband gets moved to the faith-based dorm real soon!

strawberry6977
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the both of you giving info. I'm at least finding some relief in confirmation that something needs to be done with this unit!

I have put numerous complaints in with the Ombudsman's office with TDCJ. If you guys haven't already, I'd recommend doing so. The more complaints they get, the quicker it will be they will send people out there to investigate and do something about it.

My husband put in a request for the faith-based dorm as soon as he got transferred to Bradshaw...he's still waiting. Apparently it is not just a faith-based dorm, but also a substance abuse program (the only one they have there). I found out they don't even have AA Meetings in Bradshaw (and every unit should). And not every inmate gets to go to church -- only 5 per dorm each time get to go. So, they happen to put my husband in a unit that has nothing for him...so he sits there...until he gets into the faith-based dorm or transferred.

I emailed a few Rep's & Senators and one in particular got back with me immediately. His assistant put in an email to TDCJ about not having AA Meetings at Bradshaw, and hopefully she spoke to them about the other stuff too.

My husband states he's in the worst dorm too...I wouldn't doubt if he isn't in the same dorm as your loved ones. I dont know the name of it though.

*sigh* So I guess it took your brother (Donna) about 3 months to get into the Faith-Based dorm? That is longer than I had thought or hoped. I guess it's a fairly small dorm with tons of requests to get in.

Thanks!

ldonnarhea
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, it took him about 3 months of constantly sending in I60s (requests to be moved) on a weekly basis. Asking the captain on duty, the assistant warden, etc. There's about 15 in his area and about 5 areas in his dorm (I think). Even being in the faith-based dorm, the pastor didn't come everyday or hold class everyday. He had to take it upon himself and other inmates to have class. He also took some mail-order classes through the Salvation Army and a Half-way House in Odessa that provided him with certificates of completion for his file. Tell your husband to not give up, stay on top of it and I'll send in my letter to TDC omsbudsman and State Reps about Bradshaw and the entire "private prison" rip-off!

strawberry6977
12-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Is that correspondence course thru a Halfway House substance abuse related? That would be great if I could get him started on a correspondence course (something that will give him a completion certificate)!

ldonnarhea
12-30-2008, 04:04 PM
No, the correspondence from the HWH was more Bible study, but it was a requirement prior to being considered to come to the HWH upon his release. If you want, I can look up to see what the name of it was. My brother had me make a copy of the certificate he received from the Salvation Army to forward to the IPO office for his file. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I can look it up too and give you the info.

strawberry6977
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Actually, thank you for even mentioning Salvation Army. I then went to their website and found the Prison Ministry info...for their correspondence courses. I have sent out a few emails and I believe I'm on the right track to getting that done. :) Now, I'm trying to find an AA or 12-step oriented correspondence course, so my husband can hopefully do that while waiting. Thanks!

No, the correspondence from the HWH was more Bible study, but it was a requirement prior to being considered to come to the HWH upon his release. If you want, I can look up to see what the name of it was. My brother had me make a copy of the certificate he received from the Salvation Army to forward to the IPO office for his file. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I can look it up too and give you the info.

ldonnarhea
12-31-2008, 11:29 AM
You are very welcome. I'm just grateful that I could offer you some useful information since I've received sooo much from others on this website. PTO members have been a blessing.

Let me know if you find any AA courses.

Hope you have a prosperous New Year-eat plenty of black-eyed peas!

Donna