View Full Version : What is it like inside military prison? Rules, standards, etc?

shaggstheclown
12-23-2008, 08:54 PM
my brother is under investigation and might be facing time in a military prison, and were all wondering what its like in there. i hear the military sucks already, and prison is no fun either. how bad can a military prison be, that many times worse than both?

is it like a constant boot camp, yelling and stuff all day? or like normal prison, just be there, behave and and keep the military standards?

discoball
12-27-2008, 06:10 PM
i think the military prisons are a little more disciplined than reg. prisons since everyone was in the military. the regional facilities are a little more like boot camp and i think they even still where fatigues. but if he gets enough time, he will be sent to the usdb and then its more like a prison than boot camp.

but they act like your in the military when they want to use it against you and when you want to go by military rules they say no your just a prisoner. so its just another way to f you over.

its not horrible if you can learn how to play their game, keep your mouth shut and do the time. i know, easier said than done at times. good luck

DeNada
12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Shaggs,
Welcome to PTO. Hope things go well for your brother and he doesn't have to spend any time inside. Military prison is pretty much the same as civilian prison. Do good time and you get through it. Disco's answer fairly well sums it up. The US Disciplinary Barracks (at Ft. Leavenworth, KS) is for sentences 5 years and over, others are held in RCF's. Rules about visitation, letters, mail, phone calls, etc. are pretty much the same. The rules are Their rules and sometimes the rules change without notice. Like in the civilian system, some of the guards are on power trips so you still have to deal with that. There seems to be less violence and little, if any, gang activity. The food seems to be adequate; counseling a little less so; education hard to get; medical/dental attention adequate; sports/rec activity okay; work programs available. My son is at the USDB so someone with a loved one at an RCF could answer specific questions about those. If you have any questions, just post them or feel free to send me a private message. Good luck to you and your family.

~Lisa.

airforcewifejl
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Shaggs,
Welcome to PTO. Hope things go well for your brother and he doesn't have to spend any time inside. Military prison is pretty much the same as civilian prison. Do good time and you get through it. Disco's answer fairly well sums it up. The US Disciplinary Barracks (at Ft. Leavenworth, KS) is for sentences 5 years and over, others are held in RCF's. Rules about visitation, letters, mail, phone calls, etc. are pretty much the same. The rules are Their rules and sometimes the rules change without notice. Like in the civilian system, some of the guards are on power trips so you still have to deal with that. There seems to be less violence and little, if any, gang activity. The food seems to be adequate; counseling a little less so; education hard to get; medical/dental attention adequate; sports/rec activity okay; work programs available. My son is at the USDB so someone with a loved one at an RCF could answer specific questions about those. If you have any questions, just post them or feel free to send me a private message. Good luck to you and your family.

~Lisa.

Hi Lisa- My husband is at the USDB so I am curious what it is like there. I am very fearful of the unexpected. Any information would be great!

ndrusci
05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi Lisa- My husband is at the USDB so I am curious what it is like there. I am very fearful of the unexpected. Any information would be great!

Lisa, my dh is at the USDB. If you have questions please private message me. I will answer what I can.