View Full Version : Effect of name change on background checks

ericjourney
12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Does anybody have experience with changing their last name? Will employers still find felony convictions on a background check? Are background checks done by name, or by social security number.

InsomniaCT
12-17-2008, 08:10 PM
hi, they are done in a variety of ways, depending on the position. I am familiar with fingerprints; name/dob/ss#...

Basically, I would say you need to answer truthfully. Usually the application asks for the current name and if you have former names--with recods associated to any/all. If you omit checking the box that asks about convictions, you might buy some time. If they don't notice. If you say there is no history and there is, that is the reason to terminate. I might have hired some of the applicants, when considering their charges and timeframe--but once you lie on the application it's game over. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck!

HopeCase
01-29-2009, 09:07 PM
hi, they are done in a variety of ways, depending on the position. I am familiar with fingerprints; name/dob/ss#...

Basically, I would say you need to answer truthfully. Usually the application asks for the current name and if you have former names--with recods associated to any/all. If you omit checking the box that asks about convictions, you might buy some time. If they don't notice. If you say there is no history and there is, that is the reason to terminate. I might have hired some of the applicants, when considering their charges and timeframe--but once you lie on the application it's game over. Hope this is helpful. Best of luck!

A lAdy put down my birth date as 1-24-1984 when it is 1-24-1985 and I passed a background check. But I was to afraid to work cause i thought they would find out. They do go buy your names and DOB so if you change it you probally would pass a Background check. if they did a Fingerprint background check it wouldnt matter what you changed they would still find out.:) Try Independent Contracter Jobs Most of them do not do a background check. If you are a good sales person alot of those types of jobs dont do a background check.

mommaof5
02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
In oklahoma they ask for you ss, dob and any aliasis. Just keep after it you will find something!!

Albee Damned
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
The FIRST thing that even a half-ass background check company does is what is known as a Social Security Number Trace (aka "Skip Trace"). That verifies your social security number and any names associated with it. If the application asked about any other names used and you didn't indicate them, that may be cause for dismissal when they find other aliases.

I wish I could tell you differently!

Albee

Albee Damned
02-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Does anybody have experience with changing their last name? Will employers still find felony convictions on a background check? Are background checks done by name, or by social security number.

This is the general process used by background checking companies (i.e. 3rd party sources):

1) Run "Skip Trace" to find out if SSN is valid and any/all names associated with it. Compares with names provided by applicant.

2) Obtain information from credit reporting agencies to find out locations where person has lived. Credit information is also obtained to help the company with the hiring decision. This also reveals/confirms aliases like the "Skip Trace". Compares addresses with those provided by applicant.

3) Verify education. Checks the institution where applicant states education was obtained. Can also reveal aliases or false claims about degrees earned, etc.

4) Use databases to check criminal records/warrants in states/counties/cities where person has resided. Databases are better for some states/counties than others. For instance, in some states a person's entire criminal history (in that state) is available as a matter of public record ON THE INTERNET (i.e. FREE). For states/counties/cities where database information is limited, sends agent to courthouses in counties of residence to check criminal records.

5) Any criminal record found in a database/Internet is confirmed at the courthouse by agent.

6) Assembles all data on credit and criminal history and reports it to the employer by following state and federal regulations.

Note that this is the procedure used by background checking companies that are used by most Fortune 500 companies. If a company does their background checking "in-house", they don't have to follow the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). For a variety of issues, most companies DO NOT do their own checks, though.

Also, depending on the position, you may even be scrutinized more closely. For extra charge a background checking company can provide other services such as interviewing neighbors and the such. Other types of background checks, such as FBI checks, usually rely on the above method plus throws in fingerprinting and the interviews with neighbors/former roommates/god-knows-who-else.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Albee

NewOffender
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Jailer charged with murder spent time in prison

Sep 24, 2006 - 02:06:48 CDT

FARGO (AP) - The Barnes County jailer charged with killing a Valley City State University student has served time in federal prison for attempted murder, authorities say.

Moe Maurice Gibbs, 34, of Valley City, was ordered held without bond Thursday on a charge of Class AA murder in the Sept. 13 death of Mindy Morgenstern, 22. The criminal complaint filed against him alleges he killed Morgenstern, of New Salem, by cutting her throat.
http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/09/24/news/state/121263.txt

Change72
04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
sadly i think just about all records are going to be done with SSN so name change doesnt really make a diffrence

scoopster
04-18-2009, 12:05 PM
hell you can get your record expunged, then your record is still in all the data bases that employers use too.
relocating helps too, some companies do local checks, and don't have court websites to look you up in other big cities.